I think you have to limit the numbers more for a national squad, maybe to something like 25? This is how I would go:

England

[GK]
Gordon Banks, Peter Shilton, Ray Clemence

[DL] Ashley Cole, Stuart Pearce
[DR] Jimmy Armfield, Gary Neville
[DC] Bobby Moore, Billy Wright, Tony Adams, John Terry

[ML] Tom Finney, John Barnes
[MR] Stanley Matthews, David Beckham
[MC] Bobby Charlton, Paul Gascoigne, Bryan Robson, Glenn Hoddle, Duncan Edwards

[ST] Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer, Michael Owen, Jimmy Greaves, Gary Lineker

Manager - Alf Ramsey
Stadium - Old Wembley

Last edited:
Kluivert surely at Barcelona... One of their top-goalscorers of all time.

Chelsea

[GK] Peter Bonetti, Petr Cech, Carlo Cudicini

[DL] Graeme Le Saux, Ashley Cole, Eddie McCreadie
[DR] Dan Petrescu, Steve Clarke
[DC] John Terry(Y), Ron Harris(Y), Frank Lebouef, David Webb, Colin Pates(Y)

[ML] Frank Blunstone, Clive Walker(Y)
[MR] Charlie Cooke, Pat Nevin, Bobby Tambling(Y)
[MC] John Hollins(Y), Claude Makelele, Dennis Wise, Ray Wilkins(Y), Roberto Di Matteo, Frank Lampard, Alan Hudson(Y)

[ST] Gianfranco Zola, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Kerry Dixon, Peter Osgood(Y), Roy Bentley, Tore Andre Flo, Didier Drogba

Manager - Jose Mourinho
Assistant - Andre Villas Boas
Board - Roman Abramovich

(Y) = Academy Graduate

First team squad - 23
Youths - 9
Spaces left - 3

More appearances for Makelele at Chelsea for sure. But even though Perez didn't think so, Makelele WAS Real Madrid during the Galactico era.

Zidane:
Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?

McManaman:

I think Claude has this kind of gift – he's been the best player in the team for years but people just don't notice him, don't notice what he does. But you ask anyone at Real Madrid during the years we were talking about and they will tell you he was the best player at Real. We all knew, the players all knew he was the most important. The loss of Makélelé was the beginning of the end for Los Galacticos… You can see that it was also the beginning of a new dawn for Chelsea. He was the base, the key and I think he is the same to Chelsea now.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makelele#cite_note-6
I know Madrid aren't lacking in midfield talent, especially if you go back to their teams from the 60's and 70's, but for me, Makelele made Madrid tick at the height of the Galactico era. In line with your previous choices though, Makelele could easily be placed in the Nantes team, certainly makes him much younger.

Regarding the Ronaldo issue, a goal a game at PSV combined with the numerous other options for Madrid and Milan makes it a fairly easy choice imo.

More appearances for Makelele at Chelsea for sure. But even though Perez didn't think so, Makelele WAS Real Madrid during the Galactico era.

Zidane:
Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?

McManaman:

I think Claude has this kind of gift – he's been the best player in the team for years but people just don't notice him, don't notice what he does. But you ask anyone at Real Madrid during the years we were talking about and they will tell you he was the best player at Real. We all knew, the players all knew he was the most important. The loss of Makélelé was the beginning of the end for Los Galacticos… You can see that it was also the beginning of a new dawn for Chelsea. He was the base, the key and I think he is the same to Chelsea now.

I know Madrid aren't lacking in midfield talent, especially if you go back to their teams from the 60's and 70's, but for me, Makelele made Madrid tick at the height of the Galactico era. In line with your previous choices though, Makelele could easily be placed in the Nantes team, certainly makes him much younger.

Regarding the Ronaldo issue, a goal a game at PSV combined with the numerous other options for Madrid and Milan makes it a fairly easy choice imo.

Some very good points, I think I will move him to Nantes - he played more league games and spent more time there, and it will make him much younger

Scotland

[GK] Jim Leighton, Ronnie Simpson, Tommy Younger

[DL] Richard Gough, Willie Donachie
[DR] Sandy Jardine, Greame Souness
[DC] Tommy Boyd, Colin Hendry, Colin Calderwood, Alan Hansen

[ML] Bobby Lennox, Archie Gemmill
[MR] Jimmy Johnstone, Gordon Strachan
[MC] Billy Bremner, Paul Lambert, Craig Burley, John Collins, Jim McCalliog

[ST]
Ally McCoist, Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Gallacher

Manager - Bobby Brown or Craig Brown

Scotland

[ST]

Great list of scottish players.

Scotland

[ST]

Very Good list mate, although I'm not too sure on some of the positions (Souness at DR?!) There are a few alterations that I would have thought might improve it even further, and I'll try to give my reasoning for each -

[GK] Andy Goram - he played almost twice as many games as Younger and was a Scotland regular for a longer period, reguarded as Rangers' best ever 'keeper.

[DL] John Greig - absolute hero at Rangers and played consistently for 44 Scottish internationals including many as captain.

[DR] Danny McGrain - 62 caps, many as captain, inductee to Scottish hall of fame and selected in Celtic All time XI.

[DC] Dave Mackay - selected in the football league greatest 100 players of all time, won many honours at club level
[DC] Willie Miller - part of the great Aberdeen side, highly praised by Alex Ferguson during his playing days, 65 caps.
[DC] Alex McLeish - part of the great Aberdeen side, 3rd most capped Scot with 77 appearances.

[ML] Billy Liddell - capped 28 times, would have been more had it not been for the war. Considered amongst Liverpool's best ever.
[MC] Jim Baxter - widely considered Scotland's greatest ever player capable of winning matches on his own.

[ST] Hughie Gallagher - One of Scotland and Newcastle's greatest, 23 goals in 20 international matches.
[ST] Jimmy McGrory - should have been capped more, somewhat overlooked with the presence of Hughie Gallagher before the introduction of substitutes. Incredible ratio of goals to games.

Also, notable mentions to Gary McAllister (57 caps), Alex James (8 caps), Peter Lorimer (21 caps), Alex Young (8 caps), Lawrie Reilly (38 caps), Bobby Walker (29 caps) & George Young (53 caps)

Very Good list mate, although I'm not too sure on some of the positions (Souness at DR?!) There are a few alterations that I would have thought might improve it even further, and I'll try to give my reasoning for each -

[GK] Andy Goram - he played almost twice as many games as Younger and was a Scotland regular for a longer period, reguarded as Rangers' best ever 'keeper.

[DL] John Greig - absolute hero at Rangers and played consistently for 44 Scottish internationals including many as captain.

[DR] Danny McGrain - 62 caps, many as captain, inductee to Scottish hall of fame and selected in Celtic All time XI.

[DC] Dave Mackay - selected in the football league greatest 100 players of all time, won many honours at club level
[DC] Willie Miller - part of the great Aberdeen side, highly praised by Alex Ferguson during his playing days, 65 caps.
[DC] Alex McLeish - part of the great Aberdeen side, 3rd most capped Scot with 77 appearances.

[ML] Billy Liddell - capped 28 times, would have been more had it not been for the war. Considered amongst Liverpool's best ever.
[MC] Jim Baxter - widely considered Scotland's greatest ever player capable of winning matches on his own.

[ST] Hughie Gallagher - One of Scotland and Newcastle's greatest, 23 goals in 20 international matches.
[ST] Jimmy McGrory - should have been capped more, somewhat overlooked with the presence of Hughie Gallagher before the introduction of substitutes. Incredible ratio of goals to games.

Also, notable mentions to Gary McAllister (57 caps), Alex James (8 caps), Peter Lorimer (21 caps), Alex Young (8 caps), Lawrie Reilly (38 caps), Bobby Walker (29 caps) & George Young (53 caps)

you mix the team about mate :D

Nice DB! I actually made one last year, which had 280 legends of World Football, all at their starting clubs. :)
So that means Duncan Edwards, Bobby Charlton, George Best, David Beckham, and Johnny Giles all at Manchester United!! :O
It was a really fun game though, I'm still playing. I've started off as West Ham, so I've got 16 and 17 year old versions of Bobby Moore, Martin Peters, and Geoff Hurst! Epic stuff :)

If you need help, then just ask me! I'd be willing too

Looking forward to this as i think it'll be class to manage a team with all these LEGENDS so ill defo be downloading when finished:D

Will you be doing Scottish sides?

Yes.

And I haven't actually committed to making a database myself. I'd like to, but I'd want to do it as accurately as possible, and time constraints may not allow this. I originally made this thread to help others and try to get more information all in one place. The speed at which I work, I'd probably be better off aiming for a database for the 2013 version of the game! We shall see...

Best things come to those who wait!!!

And im sure this is a DB worth waiting for as it'll fill people with gaming enjoyment for ages!!!

Keep up the Fantastic work FBP!!!!

This is the squad I would pick, although it was difficult to decide. Leaving out David Wier and Willie Miller was a tough call. I'm sure I've missed some great players out, so please let me know if it needs amending!

Scotland

[GK] Ronnie Simpson, Jim Leighton, Andy Goram

[DL] John Greig, Tommy Boyd
[DR] Danny McGrain, George Young
[DC] Alan Hansen, Billy McNeil, Alex McLeish, Colin Hendry

[ML] Billy Liddell, Bobby Lennox
[MC] Jim Baxter, Graeme Souness, Billy Bremner, Archie Gemmill, Dave Mackay

[ST] Kenny Dalglish, Hughie Gallagher, Ally McCoist, Denis Law, Jimmy McGrory

Manager - Craig Brown
Stadium - Hampden Park

Last edited:
This is the squad I would pick, although it was difficult to decide. Leaving out David Wier and Willie Miller was a tough call. I'm sure I've missed some great players out, so please let me know if it needs amending!

Scotland

[GK] Ronnie Simpson, Jim Leighton, Andy Goram

[DL] John Greig, Tommy Boyd
[DR] Danny McGrain, George Young
[DC] Alan Hansen, Dave Mackay, Alex McLeish, Colin Hendry

[ML] Billy Liddell, Bobby Lennox
[MC] Jim Baxter, Graeme Souness, Billy Bremner, Archie Gemmill, John Collins

[ST] Kenny Dalglish, Hughie Gallagher, Ally McCoist, Denis Law, Jimmy McGrory

Manager - Craig Brown

You left out Billy Mcneil Captain of the Lisbon Lions

Well Mcneil is one of the best scottish players ever :) Collin hendry dosen't deserve to be up there with Mcneil, Mcleish and Hansen

Well Mcneil is one of the best ever :) Collin hendry dosen't deserve to be up there with Mcneil, Mcleish and Hansen

Options:
1 - replace Mackay or Hendry with McNeil
2 - move Mackay to [MC] and replace Collins with McNeil
3 - replace Collins with McNeil and have 5 x [DC] and 4 x [MC]