The Europa Vision

• Thread starter Thread starter ZeCarlos
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 72
  • Views Views 9K
Cheers mate. Sorry for the long posts, I don't normally get too much time to update so I thought while I had a free day I'd get going properly. Updates shall probably be slower+shorter again tomorrow because of a lack of time

anyways,it looks good. try to post some pictures maybe?
good luck btw. sad about lose to mallorca :(

Monday, 25th July 2011 -- 11:30am

We stepped off the coach in the city centre. After making the two and a half hour trip to Binefar, the lads were stiff. To be fair, this place was pretty much in the middle of nowhere and a small crowd was expected for our third friendly. This place wasn't necessarily plush either; it looked pretty run down and the people were working-class. We passed several historic looking buildings which had been kept in good shape for obvious reasons; but much of the town wasn't what the boys were used too back in Barcelona.

I knew these would be the type of places my career had to begin at; but I wasn't too bothered. I'd been taught from a young age to appreciate the things I had. After arriving early; we looked for a place to eat which would take all of us and it didn't take long to find something. We all settled down for an hour or two and basically chilled. It was a warm day, very warm. One of the hottest since I'd moved out too Spain and even the lads felt it. They had to make sure they got plenty of fluids on-board for tonight. I checked my phone before we left for the stadium,

"Good lucky baby. Miss you already ***" Ah, I missed her too. I locked my phone as she understood business came first. Money was hard to come by these days, and I had the opportunity to make plenty of it. I had to make my managerial career count.

***​

"Right lads," I started, "we have a couple of hours 'till the match begins. Go out and have a kick about. Don't tire yourselves though, it's hot. Very hot. Keep plenty of fluids near-by and get used to the surface. It's not what we're used too but we have several hours to adjust. Have a carry on with any spectators if you like, we NEED to get a good name for ourselves out across the country. We mean business. I'll call you back in later," the lads patted my back on the way out.

***​

"How's the pitch boys?" they all seemed very focused,

"Good, boss. Much better than we thought. It's a nice smooth surface, wide too. Ideal for keeping the ball," pointed out Delmas,

"Well done, my friend. Using your brain," I pointed at him, "this is what we all need to start doing. Use your common sense. Look for the through ball and if it's not, don't be afraid to knock it back to the defenders of even goalkeeper. We play like Barcelona. Close down in the opposition half. If we don't have the ball, we win it back. And more importantly, we take our chances boys. This is the quality of team we'll be playing this year. Show me how good you are," the lads gave each other various forms of friendly banter like punches in the arms. I lead the team out with the sound of boots clattering on the tiled flooring.

We made it out onto the pitch and I shook the opposition manager's hand. "Good luck, Sir," I said. He smiled back and wished me well. I took a seat and the match began. We started well and kept the ball. Chances were few and far between but we were clearly dominating. Within minutes, the opposition manager was on his feet barking out instructions.

We began creating more opportunities. Cebri and Peque both missed great chances and it looked like it wasn't going to be our day. On around the 39th minute, Delmas picked the ball up outside our box and sprayed the ball out to Buyo. He'd looked impressive so far and he had a commanding run at the opposition defence. After being tracked well by a defender, he laid the ball off to Delmas who struck an absolute thunder-bolt, cannoning back off the upright and they cleared. Unlucky.

The half-time whistle went with the scores still nil's each. The boys got back into the dressing room and took a drink,

"C'mon boys! We're unlucky so far! Who are these guys? It's like men against boys. We deserve the lead and they're lucky we aren't seven or eight up. I know the heat has got too all of you. It's ****** 25 degrees out there at eight at night. It's warm, I know but we need to make these chances count. We can't afford to waste so many in competitive football. Their manager knows we're dominating and we need to ****** a lead before he can tighten up his sinking ship," surprisingly, the boys began applauding after only that and sprinted back out on to the pitch. I expected to have a harder task, but obviously they knew what had to be done.

We began brightly and Delmas played a beautiful ball through for Buyo. With just one defender and the keeper to beat, he managed to find himself a yard of space for the shot. He struck it well and the keeper managed to acrobatically tip it over the bar. We're getting closer.

The match suddenly went dead and the players' heads began to drop. I don't even know why, there was no explanation. Now, I began barking out instructions becoming increasingly worried. I may have looked a fool, but if it got us the win I didn't care. Sometimes you have to be harsh to be nice.

On the 77th minute, Peque was tripped on the edge of the box. It was a tight angle, and it looked as though a cross would have to be floated in. It was nearer the corner flag than the 'D'. Buyo stepped up, curled an in-swinger into the box. The keeper came out to collect and it floated over his head into the back of the net. Goal! 1-0

After dominating long periods and seemingly finding no way past this keeper, we were given a gift.

About twenty seconds later, Buyo picked the ball up on the left wing and had a great run at the right-back. He struck a inch-perfect cross into the box and Delmas just about stuck a leg out in time. It wrong-footed the keeper and we had another. Goal! 2-0

After our second goal, we played exactly like Barcelona. It may not have been against the same opposition as they have, but we kept the ball well and frustrated. The final whistle went too the sound of a small applause from the crowd. I shook the opposition managers hand once more and he gave me a smile and a wink.

"Well done boys, fantastic performance. Just to let you boys know, we're very close to bringing another player in on a free transfer. He's a goalscorer, maybe something we need. But for tonight, that was excellent against opposition we should expect to face every week- apart from the rare exception of a better quality team. Collect your stuff and meet me on the coach in fifteen. We won't be waiting around." The lads clapped and gave each other a pat on the back. Well deserved in my mind.

First back on the coach, and I had several minutes to reply to Alejandra,

"Won 2-0. Great result. Coming home now. Love you ***" I hit send and had a small chat with the coach driver before the lads began to filter back to the coach. I felt my phone vibrate and took it out to read,

"Good darling. I'll be at your apartment when you get back. Love you ***" it would be nice to come home to somebody for once. It would be my first night in my new apartment too. Aaron agreed to pay the rent out of his own money. I couldn't wait to finally get home after a long day.

View attachment 216957

Thanks for the comments guys. Makes it more worthwhile writing it if I know people are interested. Hopefully another update will be posted tonight; but I have coursework to finish first.

Last edited:
It's a good story definetly interested in it. Earlier when someone said to keep your post shorter i disagree i like a good long story, it's not boring or dragging on at all. That's simply my opinion :) Keep it up! I'm a bit wary of the journalist as a girlfriend possible twist there. nice touch!

It's a good story definetly interested in it. Earlier when someone said to keep your post shorter i disagree i like a good long story, it's not boring or dragging on at all. That's simply my opinion :) Keep it up! I'm a bit wary of the journalist as a girlfriend possible twist there. nice touch!

Thanks for the advice mate! I intended to make a whole personality through the story so at times it could possibly drag on, but I wanted to see how far I could push it starting with no experience. Although that's what I intend, if interest drops I'll probably stop as it would be a waste of time. Hopefully I can keep you (and fellow readers) interested.

Thanks for the advice mate! I intended to make a whole personality through the story so at times it could possibly drag on, but I wanted to see how far I could push it starting with no experience. Although that's what I intend, if interest drops I'll probably stop as it would be a waste of time. Hopefully I can keep you (and fellow readers) interested.

Well keep going mate :) looking forward to more story updates

Tuesday, 26th July 2011 -- 6:00am

After returning home late last night, I couldn't sleep. Too many things were on my mind. After three pre-season friendlies already gone, the season was rapidly advancing on us. Transfers, team selections and players leaving kept me awake. After spending much of the night researching a couple of lads across the internet, I came across a player or two that I hadn't yet mentioned to Aaron. One of those especially caught my eye. After telling the lads I was close to signing a striker, I needed to deliver.

The deal I was talking about at the time fell through and I needed something, quick. I found it. Miguel Montes. Young striker, 21-years old and I was looking forward to meeting this kid. He had a bright future. I found his agents number and called him at about 2am expecting to leave a voice mail. Which is why I was pretty surprised when he picked up. The brief conversation we indulged in was good; progress was made in a short amount of time and we scheduled a meeting for today. After my research was done, I decided to come down to the stadium before anyone and watch the sunrise. We may have been crowded in by taller buildings but I enjoyed the small view I got. My phone rang,

"Hello, yeah. Oh, you're nearly here? Sure, come right to the stadium. I'll be waiting for you and Miguel here. Yeah, no bother. Okay, bye," I put the phone down and my heart instantly began racing. Possibly my biggest moment so far as manager of C.E Europa was approaching. I had to get this right.

***​

We walked towards the door, "so that's okay Mr. Thorpe?"

"I should think so. We'll sort the small details out soon and you'll be announced tomorrow. Give Mr. Armas a call and he'll sort you a hotel room out," I opened the door and bent out my arm letting them know they could leave. Miguel's agent gave me a firm hand shake and headed off. My second bit of business, done. Next opponent was Mallorca. Not the first team again, the 'B' team. They were in the division above us and I wanted to give them a real fight.

Friday, 29th July 2011
"Right lads, I want to see us fighting out there. They may be above us, but we can match these. Although the scoreline suggested a hammering against the first team, they weren't all so brilliant. These are nowhere near as good as them. Of course, they aren't in the league they're in through luck though. They're still a very good side with top class players. But, I feel we can compete. We're also a very good side. We may not be in the highest league, but I'm aiming for promotion this year," I stopped to see their response. They all seemed pretty hyped up and just stared at me, "We have two new lads joining us tonight following Buyo's debut the other night. Montes will do us a good job upfront and Suarez will play just behind Montes. Make the chances count lads!" they all clapped and ran out. I performed the usual formalities with the opposition manager and took my seat. The lads looked extremely fired up.

We started brightly and in just the second minute, Buyo whipped a delicious ball in for Montes. The defender had a two yard advantage over him and looked to clear easily. Montes pounced, getting a touch too it only to see it rattle off the bar. Great, great start.

In the 20th minute, after some great build up play, Delmas managed to get a shot away. He struck it straight at the keeper. He bowled it out too Romero who ran diagonally across the pitch. He slid a ball through for Bardolet who swung for the shot, only to have his foot nicked by Alex. The referee pointed to the spot. Company took it and powered it down the centre. All our early good work undone. Goal! 0-1

We began dominating straight away again and we just couldn't get that sight on goal we needed. Passing was good and the players' heads were up. We were playing so well, the half-time whistle went without me even noticing.

"I can't really say much boys, we've played fantastically well. We've kept the ball well and been unlucky by coming up against a keeper in form. I can't say anything other than just keep going. You deserve the win, and I'm sure if you keep this up, it will come. Keep going. We may have been unlucky on the penalty. Were we Alex? Don't be afraid to confess to it mate," he looked up at me,

"I didn't touch him boss. We ran across each other while focusing on the through ball and he got lucky. I'm sorry boys, but it wasn't intentional and shouldn't have been given." I placed my trust fully in these lads so I'd stick by him,

"Okay mate, no bother. Keep your head up. If we keep playing like this, they can have the referee on their side and we'll still win. It will come lads. Get yourselves back out and let's show them how to play football." the players roared and enthusiastically sprinted out. The whistle went.

About seven minutes after the restart, they won a corner. The ball was wonderfully floated in. I seen Leva sprinting to get to it at full stretch and just for a moment, I thought he wouldn't make it. Luckily, he did. He rolled the ball out to Alex who smacked the ball up field to Montes. He ran faster than anyone I've ever seen straight at the left back. He was nervous and kept backing off. Montes continued steam rolling towards him and as they entered the box, the opposition player stumbled and stuck his leg out. For a second, I thought it may have been a penalty but he got lucky and it rolled out for a corner. It wasn't our day. The ball was whacked towards the back post and at the near, Alex was pulled down by Xisco. Clear penalty. The referee had no hesitation and pointed straight to the spot. New signing Miguel Montes claimed it and cooly sent the keeper the wrong way. F*cking come on! Goal! 1-1

Two minutes later, Buyo picked the ball up and ran at the right back. He slid the ball into acres of space and Montes was miles ahead of the defence from his pace. He rounded the keeper leaving an empty net to tap it into. Come on! Goal! 2-1

Mallorca seemed to give up after that and we kept the ball well. Dominating for long periods, we began frustrating and Xisco kicked out at Alex later on; earning himself a red-card. The full-time whistle went.

"Come on boys! What a display! Dominated from start to finish! Very proud indeed. Montes, you played excellent son. Exactly what the team needs; a goalscorer. A couple more signings and we'll be complete. Well done lads; get yourself home and enjoy yourselves. Training tomorrow night remember, I'll give you's the day off. See you soon lads," I left them to get changed and headed down to the car park. Alejandra was waiting for me, "Hey beautiful," she greeted me as I sat down. A job well done, if I may say so myself.

View attachment 217202

Sunday, 31st July 2011

After having only one days rest since beating Mallorca B, we had to travel directly across Spain. An away game against Ordenes, based in Galicia. They also played in one of the regional Tercera Divisions, Group 1. We arrived at the stadium with just enough time to warm-up; our coach had broken down on the way here. F*cking useless. After watching videos and videos of this side, I was confident. They weren't anything special. They seemed very inconsistent and I seen this as the perfect opportunity to inject a great amount of confidence into the side with the season fast approaching. The lads warmed up for about 10 minutes, and then returned to the dressing room.

"How is it lads?" I asked

"Terrible surface, boss. It'll be hard to get the ball down and play," Montes was the first to reply,

"Ok, ok..." I rubbed a little bit of sweat about to drop from my head, "We need a lot of energy lads. It may be a hard surface, but we aren't changing our game plan. Close down in the opposition half and play keep ball until the chance arrives. I want plenty movement from the men off the ball, too. If you're moving, the man on the ball has a lot of pressure lifted from his shoulders to find a pass," I heard the door open and Daniel walked in,

"Sorry to disturb boss, but the ref needs us out there," I gave him a long stare and he shrugged his shoulders,

"For f*ck sake. Right, cheers Daniel. Remember what we've been doing in training lads. I believe in you," I led the team out too the noise of clattering boots. The opposition manager seemed to not want to greet me, but I went over out of politeness. His assistant manager seemed a lot more... mannered than his boss. I took my seat and wiped another drip of sweat from my forehead. The wind was picking up as the whistle blew.

Within thirty seconds, we'd had the first attack. Delmas struck a lovely shot from outside the box, but the wind got behind it and blew it out of the stadium onto the adjacent road.

The boys were right; the pitch was terrible. We were keeping the ball well, but the pitch was slowing our progress. In the 12th minute, Suarez swung in a beautiful cross and Peque beat his man to the ball. The keeper went the wrong way! "Goal!" I thought. The referee blew his whistle and awarded Ordenes a free-kick. Offside.

The match slowed right down. We dominated possession, but we were playing against the wind. Seemingly, it had changed direction. We kept the ball well, but they kept ten men behind the ball at all times- allowing us no space to even attempt a strike. "If we can keep it like this 'till have time, we'll have them" I thought.

In the 38th minute, Alex and Peque combined down the right hand side. Peque slid a ball along the box and Castro, the defender, swung for it. He must have taken his eye from the ball for a split-second, as he completely missed the ball and Buyo found himself at the back-post with a simple tap-in. Goal! 1-0

In the second minute of injury time, we saw the opportunity for a counter-attack. Four against three was worked well and Suarez swung another excellent ball into the box. Montes nutted an absolute bullet-header. The keeper had no chance. Goal! 2-0

The half-time whistle went immediately after. Good first-half.

"Well done lads, great half. You've kept the ball well and took the chances. However, you know me, I always demand better. Centre-midfielders, where have you been? You haven't played bad; but if we have you two linking the play up a little more, I can see us really dominating. Scoring some goals. Other than that, get yourselves a drink and I'll meet you back out there," I took a walk out onto the pitch to greet the several fans who had travelled all this way for us. I signed several different pieces of merchandise. As I walked back to my seat, I noticed the beautiful sunset over the surrounding 'countryside'. It would be hard to get a sight equally as beautiful as this. What a life I have, eh? Before I knew it, the whistle blown again and I made a rush back to my seat.

In the 51st minute, Buyo played Montes in and he would have to come up with something special to beat the keeper from there. He tried it anyway, and it rattled back off the post. Unlucky.

15 minutes later, Buyo swivelled past one, nutmegged another and struck it towards the near post with his weaker foot. He clearly caught the keeper off-guard and it flew in the top corner. Goal! 3-0

The lads kept the ball well and frustrated the opposition.

About ten minute after our first goal, Delmas played a long ball over the top for Montes to run onto. Originally, I thought he was going to take a touch or two. I think the keeper did too, as when Montes hit it on the volley first time, the keeper didn't react. Bottom corner. Goal! 4-0

In the 88th minute, we won a free-kick near the corner flag. Buyo swung one in, and Montes rose above everyone else to find the back of the net. Goal! 5-0

Four minutes later, Peque beat his man and made it to the by-line. He sent a beautiful cross in, and Montes once again headed home. Goal! 6-0

The final whistle went and the (small) crowd went wild. We headed straight back to the dressing room ahead of a long journey home.

"Well done boys, fantastic! That was the best performance I've seen from you lads, and for the first time, I'm struggling to find something for you to improve upon. We kept the level of performance up from the first half, and like I asked, got the central-midfielders involved a lot more. Great passing game, well done. We've got a break 'till next weekend now, you've earned it. I'll meet you on the coach in ten." The lads patted each other on the back and as I took my seat on the coach, I checked my phone. Alejandra.

"Text when you're free honey. I miss you unreal amounts already. Love you baby xxxx" I smiled, and replied with my normal text of the scoreline and the loved up sort of thing. I sat back and closed my eyes...

View attachment 217792

Tuesday, 2nd August 2011

After having several sleepless hours, I decided to get up. I walked into my kitchen and poured a glass of orange juice. I unravelled the curtains in my kitchen and took a look down at the street below. It wasn't busy, which caused me to look at the clock: 5:50am.

I hadn't slept all night; something had been keeping me awake. I didn't know what... just something didn't feel right. Alejandra was still fast asleep when I got up. I picked up yesterdays newspaper and took a seat. I still wasn't speaking fluently Spanish, but I could make out key words. Nothing really interesting but it entertained me for a little. I tried to take my mind off things, but it wasn't working. Something wasn't right.

I decided to take out my laptop. I turned it on and checked my e-mails. Nothing. I then clicked onto one of my bookmarks, BBC News. The Norwegian killings and the Thailand floods were the two main headlines. I flicked onto the Football tab, but nothing much was going on. All the rumours, as normal, but nothing really stood out.

I decided to check my e-mails a last time before I turned the laptop off. I had one new message and I opened it up. It instantly hit me. I knew something wasn't right, and now I know what that something was. Time seemed to stand still as the tears began to form. I hit the desk and buried my head in my hands. I don't know how long I was like that... it must have been five minutes. I heard a door open and looked up. Alejandra stared back at me as the tears were streaming down my face.

"What's happened baby?" she ran over and put her arm around me, comforting me.

I took a moment to reply, "My... my father. He's been shot dead..."

I'd not seen my father in 7 years. I was 15 when I last saw him; we'd fallen out over an argument he had with my mother. They'd separated when I was around 7, but I still visited him often.

He called me 'unacceptable' and 'disturbing'. I've never quite known how I was 'disturbing', but that's that. Although I hadn't seen him, I still thought about him everyday. Still thought what could have been... what should have been. I was looking forward to hopefully making him proud one day... winning something.

Maybe he might look down on me once or twice? Maybe he might show me some sign he still cares?

"Oh... darling," she wrapped her arms around me, "I'm so sorry,"

I believe she may have even shed a tear. I didn't know what to do. Who would shoot a 62 year old? Who's so sick? That, dad, is disturbing. Now isn't the time to point fingers at the past, though. Just as things were going good; I had a job I enjoyed, I was earning enough money to get by and I had a beautiful girlfriend. I was making something of myself. Now... this.

I walked back to my bedroom and stuck some jeans, a shirt and some shoes on and headed out. I walked to the seafront and bought myself a coffee. I sat down on a bench and stared out at the sea for a couple of hours until I was interrupted by my phone. I intended on ignoring it, until I looked who the caller was... Aaron.

"Brandon, I've heard," he took a deep breath, "I'm sorry son," how did he know? He didn't know my family? Alejandra?

"Did Aleja-"

"No son, I know who done it. We both do..."

View attachment 218173

Last edited:
I apologize for the lack of progress. An update is in the works, so should be up sometime tonight! :)

Friday, 12th August 2011 -- 07:00am

I walked into the Starbucks coffee store and got an espresso. I took a seat and read the headlines. Nothing less than I expected...

"Spanish man sentenced for shooting," my eyes searched the page and when I came across the name, I felt ill again,
"...Guillaume de Bode..."

I took another sip of my espresso and looked out across the airport. Finally heading home after an eventful few days. Well, I say "home" but is it really home? I'm leaving home, right? Either way; I was heading back to Barcelona. That reminds me, I need to ring Danny to find the score from Saturday,

"Alright, Dan. How is it?" He seemed surprised,

"It's going okay, boss. More importantly, how is it with you? Are you okay? I can take th-" I chuckled,

"It's fine mate. It's over. He's gone and I'm coming back. What was the score the other night?"

"Oh, against Santa Eulalia? The lads won 6-0. Great performance. They dedicated it to your father," I closed my eyes to hide the pain from within,

"Ah, good good. I might make an appearance tonight. You're taking the game again though, okay? If I make it I'll watch from the stands. Take care, I gotta go,"

"Watch yourself, boss. See you soon." I hung up the phone and headed for my plane.

Friday, 12th August 2011

I looked at my watch... "7:51pm". Sh*t. Nearly kick-off. I looked out the taxi window and began to notice my surroundings. I was approaching the stadium. I think I just made it in time after paying the mad taxi-driver. I ran straight at the "ticket-man" and I think he just recognized me in time to let me past before I flattened him. Great guy. Delmas happened to turn around as I entered the stadium and made my presence known to the home crowd. A couple of spectators came to greet me while the rest applauded and sang my name. We were playing our affiliated club, Espanyol. I managed to find a seat in the crowded stadium just in time for kick-off.

We started the game well and kept the ball. We frustrated the bigger opposition and had a chance early on when Delmas knocked a great ball in, only for Montes to head over.

We seemed to go flat for the next 15 minutes or so, with only several inspired saves from Leva keeping us in it. In the 35th minute, Montes won a free-kick on the edge of the box. Buyo whipped the ball in and Alberto nutted an absolute bullet header. Nothing would stop that. Goal! 1-0

The match was dead and stayed 1-0 until half-time. I headed down to the dressing room to give the lads a talk whilst I was allowed.

"Alright lads. Just a quick few words from me. First, great performance. Nothing else I can really say. We've outclassed a strong La Liga side and looked good. Keep this up, and we'll be promoted by the end of the season. Second, some great saves there Leva. Keep it up! I'll leave you with Danny and make sure you get plenty fluids on board," I left the room while the lads clapped and made my way back to the stands. I stood up for a while, when an old man approached.

"You're working miracles, son. We've not played this well for years," I could clearly tell he was an avid supporter. He gave me a thumps up and we chuckled,

"Ah, thanks Sir. It's all down to the boys though, they deserve the credit. Still 45 minutes to go too!" He winked, patted me on the back and walked away. What a nice man.

I took a seat and the match restarted. From kick-off, Montes beat a couple of men and struck a beauty. Alvarez saved brilliantly, and it hit the post and rolled away. We couldn't manage a rebound and Espanyol cleared. The rest of the half went quiet so I decided to take a walk around the stadium, meeting both sets of supporters. Espanyol were quite eager to meet me. I'm not sure why; we aren't exactly Barcelona and I'm not exactly Pep Guardiola.

Before I knew it, the full-time whistle went and the crowd were pleased. We'd beaten Espanyol 1-0 and fully deserved it. I walked onto the pitch and the crowd cheered. I hugged a couple of the lads and we headed down to the dressing room.

"Well done, lads. I'm sure you're all agreed that was a great football match for both sides. We got the all important goal and managed to hold onto it comfortably. I've got to go lads, I'm totally exhausted. I'm sure Alenjandra is waiting for me," the lads began whistling and singing love songs. "Kids" I thought to myself; then I remembered half of them were older than me. Oh well.

As I left the dressing room, opposition manager Mauricio Pochettino approached. He wished me well and gave me a hug. Nice man. I walked out into the stadium and seen Alejandra waiting for me. She ran towards me and gave me a kiss and a hug.

"I've missed you!"

View attachment 219843

Friday, 26th August 2011

One last training session before we leave for Gava - our first competitive match. I was nervous, and I could tell the players were equally as worried. They looked tense and they weren't their usual p*ss about selves.

I had to calm the lads down otherwise tomorrow would only end in failure. After all, helping the lads is what I'm paid for. I called the lads around the centre circle and stood in the middle-

"Right lads, I know you're all nervous. I appreciate it's going to be hard tomorrow; they're a decent side. But we've been some good sides in pre-season and we've got to be confident," I took a moment to compose myself and help both hands in the air whilst looking around, "Don't you guys ever notice how lucky you are? How lucky we all are? There's people out there struggling to gain any sort of income and we - you - get paid to run around a pitch. I get paid to manage a great bunch of boys. We're in one of the most beautiful cities in the world and we do what we love for a living. We don't all drive Bentley's or Ferrari's but we don't struggle for a living,"

Delmas stepped forward- "He's right lads. We do our hobby and we get paid for it. We play for one of the greatest ever Spanish clubs and we have great fans. Who says we can't win the league? We're nervous in case we lose but there's always the next match. We need to just go out there and play our stuff. Make people scared of us,"

"Exactly Alex! We need to be confident in ourselves. You're all good enough, we just need the belief. I don't doubt you for tomorrow at all. We need the confidence lads. You're all up for it right?" The lads nodded,

"Sure we are boss," they all responded, "Like Alex said; who can judge us? We can win this league any day!"

Exactly the response I wanted; and needed. We put the lads through their paces and made sure they were both mentally and physically up for it. We drilled the tactical side of things into their heads and by the end of the training session, I was confident. We were confident. I noticed Aaron on the sideline and he gave me the thumbs up. I think he is expecting big things of us from the upcoming season.

Saturday, 27th August 2011

We pulled up outside of La Bobila Stadium. It was a much smaller place than ours; only holding just over 1,000 spectators although it was very nice. Situated in a more residential area, it look quiet and quaint. The journey had only taking us little over half an hour and we arrived with an hour or two left before kick-off. We headed straight to the dressing room to get changed before getting out onto the pitch. I wanted to work the lads and get them ready.

We did a little shooting, and defending of corners as we've looked weak from defensive set-pieces. Spectators started to enter and I took that as a sign we were nearing kick-off. We headed back down to the dressing room. The lads took a seat and I stood before many confident faces.

"Right lads, this is it. We've trained for several weeks now and in my mind, we're mentally and physically ready. How do you feel?" The lads were in the right frame of mind before a game,

"Great, boss. We're up for it,"

"I know you are lads. We've just got to get out there and perform. This is the first of thirty-eight so keep calm. Just get out there and show me, the fans and the league what we can do," Dan stuck his head around the door and winked, "Right; it's time to get out there. Do what we've done in pre-season and we'll get the result. Most importantly, enjoy it!" The noise of boots accompanied the roar from several different lads. Great!

I took a moment longer than usual to greet the opposition manager; Albert Poch. I jogged over to the referee and shook hands. On the way back to my seat, I signed several autographs. Finally, it's here.

We kicked off and attacked. We spent the first ten minutes or so camping in the opposition half; we were totally dominant. If this was the opposition for the year, I was confident. We stroked the ball around well and although we didn't immediately score; it would come. We earned several corners in a row and the final one got the fans on their feet. Suarez had found himself in a shooting position when the defender made the clearance. Delmas floated the ball into the back-post and Alberto rose. The keeper had came to collect, but totally missed it; leaving an empty net for the defender. Goal! 1-0

In the 30th minute, some great link up play in the centre from Delmas and Benitez allowed Montes to find space. Delmas played the ball to the unmarked striker and he slid it under the keeper. Goal! 2-0

We headed in at half-time disappointed to be only winning by two goals.

"What do you think lads?" I wanted to involve the boys as much as possible,

"It's good, boss," Alberto took another drink of water before continuing, "but we should be more up. Good passing and that but it's all for nothing when we get into the final third. The midfield have been brilliant everywhere but the final ball is vital and up to now we've lacked it," I gave him an odd luck. It's like he was mind-reading...

"Well... I guess I'm a little useless if you know what needs improving. Just one thing though, Platero; take a rest mate. Buyo, get yourself on. Make an impact. Good performance lads, keep it up." They winked at me as they headed back out and I soon followed. The referee's whistle wasn't too far behind.

Straight from the restart, the lads seemed to up their game and within seconds we had earned a corner. Delmas hit an unusually bad ball into the box and Suarez just managed to stick a leg out. He had done well to get some sort of connection and Manel, the opposition keeper, even seemed surprised. He reacted as well as he could, but the ball hit the post before reflecting off his back and into the net. A freak goal, but a goal nonetheless. Goal! 3-0

The lads began to sat back and Gava slowly approached our goal. An excellent ball from their right back found the left winger, Boira, through on goal and he slotted underneath Leva. Goal! 3-1

Both myself and Danny started barking out instructions to the lads. Terrible goal to concede after some great work. We couldn't throw this away.

Only ten minutes later, Buyo managed to beat several men before unselfishly sliding the ball across for Suarez to tap in. Come on! Surely we would win now! Goal! 4-1

After our fourth goal, we seemed to settle again and re-began our domination. We passed the ball well, tired the opposition and most importantly defended solidly. Great all round performance. I was enjoying just watching such a beautiful passing game, from both sides I must say, until I was rather rudely interrupted by the final whistle.

I ended my first competitive match as a proud manager and I caught the opposition manager to give the usual "great game"'s etc.. I headed down to the dressing room to give a last few words to the boys before I allowed them to make their own way home.

"That was great. A truly excellent passing game from both sides. We dominated and deserved the win. It's a great way to start the season, and hopefully we can continue on in the same fashion. Anyone want to add anything?" The lads seemed happy enough,

"Ur, well done, boss. It's your win as much as its ours. Get yourself home Mr. Thorpe. We'll be fine, I'm sure your ur, 'señorita', will be waiting for you." The lads began laughing and headed for the door. A couple of them shook my hand as both me and the lads left together. A nice set of lads. Time to head home to 'my señorita'... my sexy 'señorita'.

View attachment 222034

With a week off now, I should be able to crack on with some updates. I have planned a couple of things out for the future of the story, but obviously it will take a while to get there because my updates don't cover so much game time. An update should be on the way tonight. I hope people are still interested!

Back