The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
After the way we played today we're going out next round

I'm supposed to be the pessimistic one, y'know! We were ****, but it was our worst performance in a couple of months. We can certainly play better than that and we have.

David Moyes. 10 years and what now?

In 9 days time, Everton manager David Moyes will have been in charge of Everton Football Club for a decade, making him the 3rd longest serving manager in Premiership history, since taking over from Walter Smith, arriving from Preston North End in 2002. He was picked to save Everton from relegation, after he saved Preston North End from relegation from Division 2. And then he remarkably achieved promotion to Division 1 (now the Championship). Only a playoff final loss to Bolton Wanderers denied him promotion to the Premiership. But he had every reason to feel proud of his achievements.

Moyes21.jpg

And then, as a result of his achievements, he was manager of Everton. And his first job was to ensure Premiership survival for the struggling club-and he duly delivered, finishing 15th in his first spell in charge in the Premiership and doing what he had to do-avoiding relegation. And since then, his remarkable work continued, against all the odds.
With money severely hampering the club, he has still been able to confound people with the tremondous work he has done for the club. Since he took over in 2002, only twice have Everton found themselves finishing outside the top ten 10 in the Premiership.

c5bea3f4c366e3eed64b0b260a33_grande.jpg

And for 3 consecutive seasons, Everton played European football in the Europa League, though in the 2004-2005 season, Everton reached the dizzy heights of Champions League football after finishing 4th. And of course an FA Cup final against Chelsea in 2009-though he refused to recognise it as a successful cup campaign as a result of the loss. His medal still sits unopened. And when finishing in the top 10, the lowest position Everton have finished is 8th. A similar trend that looks set to continue this season.

goslingwinner.jpg

Everton were now a force to be reckoned with-clubs no longer enjoy playing against Everton, especially at Goodison Park. After gatecrashing the top four, they had sent a clear message. You don't need to spend money to mix it with the big boys of football. And during this time, David Moyes had a knack for spotting quality both in, and outside the club. A young Wayne Rooney, Mikel Arteta. And of course Tim Cahill, who proved to be an absolute diamond of a buy when he arrived at Goodison. And not forgetting Manchester United "rejects", who proved to be absolute bargains for the club. Tim Howard, Phil Neville, Lois Saha. He has the uncanny knack of bringing out the best of people-not just from senior players, but also the youngsters. Developing players like Ross Barkley, Jack Rodwell, Jose Baxter.....is there no end to what he can do?

1301650148-wayne%20rooney.jpg

And unsurprisingly, he has was won over the masses with his hard work for the club. Sir Alex Ferguson endorsing him to take over from him, when he resigns. Fans all over the country praising him for the work he has done for the club, performing miracles. But as usual, there are dissenting voices from within the club. Fans being critical of "negative" tactics being used-which are pretty much, farcical. What else can you do with an injury ravaged squad? Have a look at other clubs. They play to their strengths when they have a serious injury crisis. And the club has had to do that-literally with the minimum resources.

But the important question that now regularly crosses Everton fans minds is this-last season in charge? A manager can only put up with financial constraints for so long before they reach breaking. David Moyes wants to take the club further forward-but this is nigh on impossible with the level of debt the club is in. He has admitted regularly he is frustrated with the lack of money. Anyone would be. And with a potential vacancy at White Hart Lane upcoming, surely a man of Moyes ability would be attracted by the prospect of managing a club like Tottenham?

It would be a no brainer. With regular financial backing he would excell. Harry Redknapp has done great work for Spurs this season. Surely the only other manager who could continue this would be David Moyes? He has demonstrated he is more than capable of being successful, and has had European football experience, and is extremely hardworking. He also admitted if the FA every approached him to manage England, he would think about it. But if this scenario did happen-what about Everton football club?

The alarm bells are already ringing, with the horror prospect of Moyes leaving for Spurs. Would it spell the beginning of the demise for the club? No money, no investment, no transfer budget for a new manager to speak of, a stadium falling to pieces.....and there's the prospect of a player exodus should he decide to leave. Because there is no doubt, Everton would not be where they are now, without the work and committment that David Moyes has poured into the club. And it makes a mockery of other clubs sacking their managers at the first time of trouble. Bill Kenwright stuck with David, and he has time and time again, rescued the club. It is a lesson other clubs should learn. Though lately some of those clubs are reluctant to do so.

He instilled renewed hope, success...even though there were no trophies. Success because being realistic-what other manager could have achieved what he did? Success because he put the club back on the footballing map of Europe against all the odds, consistently finishing top 8, slaying the giants of football along the way. He can feel proud of what he has done for the club. Why else would Bill Kenwright never speak ill of him? So maybe it is time for him to move on. He has worked tirelessly-and with little reward. It is time he stepped up and claimed that reward of real success.

And there is not one Evertonian that can begrudge him that success when that time comes. Because he has, simply put, earned that right.

efc__1326317250_Gaffer.jpg

I'd have him at Chelsea in a heartbeat tbh. Brilliant manager. Respect. But I think hes a buddy of SAF and is MU bound.

I think Chelsea would ruin him. Wouldn't begrudge him a move, though.

I just don't want to see him go :'(

Along with Howard Kendall he's been sublime. Think it'll be case of Spurs first, then Man Utd. Even though Utd are rivals, he wouldn't get stick from the fans. At least I hope not anyway. Would just be an absolute shame if he left without a winners medal. Maybe this year could be the year we finally get the FA Cup. Would be great for him if it was.

Also worth noting he's a leading candidate for the Chelsea job along with Pep

Along with Howard Kendall he's been sublime. Think it'll be case of Spurs first, then Man Utd. Even though Utd are rivals, he wouldn't get stick from the fans. At least I hope not anyway. Would just be an absolute shame if he left without a winners medal. Maybe this year could be the year we finally get the FA Cup. Would be great for him if it was.

Dont want him to go to Chelsea, that club does not appreciate managers at all.

I hope he stays with you, BUT if he goes who to replace him?

I think Chelsea would ruin him. Wouldn't begrudge him a move, though.

No ******* doubt. I hate us for being such idiots. Mainly the Roman advisors. They are the *****.

Moyes is ours!

I think one of Moyes, Bruce, Ole(why not?), Giggs should manage utd after SAF. But Moyes would be your best choice.

I dont think hes our leading candidate, and to be honest, I dont want him to be, at least while Roman is still here(not that I want him to leave us, but he must change in order for us to progress). He would ruin him as manager indeed, too much respect for the guy to want him at the Bridge. Better be utd (im crying for saying that).

I hope he stays with you, BUT if he goes who to replace him?

I was thinking the Norwich gaffer Lambert. He's shown he can cope remarkably well with his first spell in charge-and plays good honest football too.

though in the 2004-2005 season, Everton reached the dizzy heights of Champions League football after finishing 4th.

That's where I stopped reading. Why must you turn this thread into a house of lies?!

No ******* doubt. I hate us for being such idiots. Mainly the Roman advisors. They are the *****.

I think one of Moyes, Bruce, Ole(why not?), Giggs should manage utd after SAF. But Moyes would be your best choice.

I dont think hes our leading candidate, and to be honest, I dont want him to be, at least while Roman is still here(not that I want him to leave us, but he must change in order for us to progress). He would ruin him as manager indeed, too much respect for the guy to want him at the Bridge. Better be utd (im crying for saying that).

I wouldn't know tbh, but there was a journo who wrote an article on this subject that I read last night (trying to find it again-may or may not have been someone from ESPN-not sure), and it was confirmed by someone from the club, that DM was behind Pep in the pecking order. All I know to be honest.

Blueheart, I'd be happy with either Moyes or Ole.

Funnily enough, Moyes could turn Chelsea around, if only the heirarchy was not so short sighted

I wouldn't know tbh, but there was a journo who wrote an article on this subject that I read last night (trying to find it again-may or may not have been someone from ESPN-not sure), and it was confirmed by someone from the club, that DM was behind Pep in the pecking order. All I know to be honest.

LOL if true. as I said better not be.

That's where I stopped reading. Why must you turn this thread into a house of lies?!

Ah. It would appear I made a gaff. Finished above Liverpool to enter the qualifying rounds of the CL. Apologies.

Good year that. Finishing above Liverpool, getting into Europe.

Sorry-couldn't resist a sly dig lol

Last edited:
Moyes is a superb manager

congrats to him on the 10 years, brilliant acheivement :)

Back