Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you allowed Steam on the exlusions on your firewall? That's caused problems for some people

How would I do that?

Although, it's been fine, it's only just done it now.

leprosy was not the best example it seems, the point was free dosn't always mean good. I feel bad for those who have technical issues

You should feel bad for the lepers, not for those with technical issues!

I buy the disc version every year but I use steam and have since it started its partnership with SI for FM 2009 i think it was, never had any trouble, one minor one last year with a patch but nothing that couldn't be easily sorted. Its been a painless transition for me and is less hassle than the old way. You don't need to use steam every-time you play either. In fact i use steam 3 times a year, installation, patch 2 and patch 3. Cant understand what all the fuss is about tbh.

I don't want to be **** but I think you may be wrong on this one?

from sigames website:

"This year’s instalment of Football Manager can only be activated and played through the Steam platform. The game can be purchased as a boxed copy or a digital download, but both versions require Steam and an Internet connection.

Football Manager 2012 will need Internet access for its activation process because Steam is a network-based platform. FM2012 customers that do not want Steam to connect to Internet can launch the Steam client in “Offline Mode” after installation"

activated AND played through steam. Otherwise people could easily uninstall steam and keep playing FM from disc. Which is not possible. Not trying to debate, and please correct me if I'm wrong!

leprosy was not the best example it seems, the point was free dosn't always mean good. I feel bad for those who have technical issues (with steam or anything else) with FM as I know they can be painful and I can guarantee that self awareness of being totally useless with computers doesn't help.

Perhap i havent read up enought, but as far as i understood it, disc versions would only require a one time activation.

Perhap i havent read up enought, but as far as i understood it, disc versions would only require a one time activation.

"Any version of Football Manager 2012 bought on disc will have to be activated through the Steam network, so therefore purchasers will have to have an internet connection for initial activation. This is a one-time only activation which requires you to sign up for a Steam account (which is free) and to install the Steam client and once it has been done the game can be played offline by turning on Steam's Offline mode. With those two simple steps done there are no more hoops to jump through or steps to take."

Taken from the SI statement. One time activation, and that's it. Started to doubt myself there for a sec so double checked lol

"Any version of Football Manager 2012 bought on disc will have to be activated through the Steam network, so therefore purchasers will have to have an internet connection for initial activation. This is a one-time only activation which requires you to sign up for a Steam account (which is free) and to install the Steam client and once it has been done the game can be played offline by turning on Steam's Offline mode. With those two simple steps done there are no more hoops to jump through or steps to take."

Taken from the SI statement. One time activation, and that's it. Started to doubt myself there for a sec so double checked lol

Needs to be switched back to online mode when the patches are out though, then steam will install it for you without any hassle.

Just a quick question. Maybe I didn't read it properly but..

Do I have to be connected to the internet for the game to start? Everytime I click on fm2012 whilst I'm not connected, the game does not start.

Any solution or?

Just a quick question. Maybe I didn't read it properly but..

Do I have to be connected to the internet for the game to start? Everytime I click on fm2012 whilst I'm not connected, the game does not start.

Any solution or?

Open steam, go to the top tabs, find the "offline mode" select it. Restart steam and start the game. That way you dont need connection :)

I have been using Steam for 10 years now& have not had one single problem with the application. I have absolutely no idea why people seem to have a problem with it. Computer illiterates perhaps?

Like Jake suggested, the only reason I can think of is that they are cheap and don’t want to pay £30 for an amazing game with more longevity & the ability to customise almost anything, than any other game for that price.

By going down this route, they are nipping pirates (arrg) in the bud, thus making more money, thus having a bigger budget to make the game more awesome!!!

The whole ‘It’s my PC, I decide what I install & run’ No problem pal, keep your virus’s from clicking dodgy email’s but shun the safe and secure program.

I have been using Steam for 10 years now& have not had one single problem with the application. I have absolutely no idea why people seem to have a problem with it. Computer illiterates perhaps?

Like Jake suggested, the only reason I can think of is that they are cheap and don’t want to pay £30 for an amazing game with more longevity & the ability to customise almost anything, than any other game for that price.

By going down this route, they are nipping pirates (arrg) in the bud, thus making more money, thus having a bigger budget to make the game more awesome!!!

The whole ‘It’s my PC, I decide what I install & run’ No problem pal, keep your virus’s from clicking dodgy email’s but shun the safe and secure program.

And on some games you get a free upgrade to the next expansion too. No brainer

pirates (arrg)

Terrible pirate impression.
icon_Yellow-Card.gif

I've got one problem with steam, but it's apparently a common one - if I'm not connected to the internet I can't sign in unless when I signed out I ticked offline mode. Basically, I can't sign in in offline mode if I signed out in online. I ******* love steam though, even though it's pretty **** for customisation and modding for a lot of games.

Currently trying to install the game but am stuck... where can I find the "product activation" code?

Currently trying to install the game but am stuck... where can I find the "product activation" code?

Go into Steam, go to games then click on "activate a product on Steam"

Edit-think I misread that sorry. Did you get the game on disc or online?

disk mate, all the screen displays is "product activation" with a small box.

disk mate, all the screen displays is "product activation" with a small box.

The activation code is normally located on the FM manual (unless it changed). Simply type it in to the bit I mentioned above, then it's sorted. Only problem is not sure where in manual it is as I've bought previous versions digitally

thats what I thought mate, the code on the back of the manuel is the "steam code" but I've put it in but it won't allow me to press continue so guessing it's not right... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.