So its back to the job market.

Given that I was the first manager in the entire country to get their team relegated I was ready for a rather awkward time hunting for any teams looking for an inexperienced and now sacked young manager..

..When remarkably I got a call back from a team who are actually in the football league.

BristolRovers.png

A short hop across the country to the beautiful town of Bristol.

Now well in the shadow of their cross town rivals Bristol City, The Pirates find themselves in constant threat of dropping out of the English Football Leagues altogether but non the less a job is all I need right now.

BristolRovers-Contract.png

A Twenty Five pound increase in wages per month. We're on the up already!

Its not quite a meteoric rise in fortunes but non the less this is definite progress.

Going from a team now set for life in Vanarma National League South to one that plays in League Two already is certainly one **** of an increase in fortunes, a quick look at Bristol Rovers second half of the season however revealed that I shouldn't have got too far ahead of myself...

BristolRovers-Games.png

BristolRovers-Standings.png

Well that's a familiar sight.

Its back to the Vanarama National League for me.

The board clearly having turned to drink throughout the entirety of a diabolical season seem to have turned to me as the first applicant who got to their door.

With an objective of just qualifying for the play-offs of the Vanarama National League in the season to come, it seems they haven't quite sobered up just yet. Bristol Rovers are a massive team at this level. A huge fan-base, long history and even a League One title in the trophy cabinet .

They might want play-offs but I'm aiming for the title.

Its time to restore some pride in the club and more importantly myself.

BristolRovers.png

With the season coming to a close, I'm left with nothing to do other then try and evaluate what I have got on my hands here at the Memorial Stadium.

BristolRovers-TeamLong.png

There are some quite glaring holes in this team and more worryingly alot of the core players are not prepared to ply their trade in the non-league following the clubs relegation.

With a host of transfer request landing on my desk just days into the job I decide to concentrate instead on the encouraging potential floating around in this team. The defence in particular holding some very promising players that should provide a solid backline for seasons to come.

Despite not having any competitive games until the start of next season I still have some work to do.

With a lot of unsettled players, young prospects and a very alarming lack of funds its going to be hard to keep the worthwhile players at the club throughout the transfer windows.

BristolRovers-Star1.png

My main goal-scoring threat. Rene Howe is a bulldozer of a centre forward. About as much grace on the field as a JCB but the fancy footwork and tricks the likes of Ronaldo and Shaqiri have at their disposal won't cut it at this level. Sheer Brute force and determination will get you on the scoresheet on a cold wet night in Kidderminster. One small issue. Rene wants out.

BristolRovers-Star2.png

Our midfield work horse, Chris Lines will hopefully be running the show through the middle of the park, however we do have a familiar problem. Lines too doesn't see his future in non-league football. The Bristol Rovers stalwart has been at the club for nearly Thirteen seasons throughout his career yet when the going gets tough the Thirty Year old is looking to jump ship.

I'm starting to take it personally.

Essentially then the squad boils down to a handful of young potential players all eager for a chance at some first team football and a whole heap of players all desperately scrambling to leave the team before they find themselves lost in the mire of non league football.

Should be a fun transfer window.​

Last edited:
The title picked my interest some time ago, but left checking the thread for later.

I finally do and I find what I expected: an original story. More, an original and fun story to follow.

Keep the good job up!

Bromley will regret their last decision.

Great read so far.

Looking forward to seeing how you do with Bristol!

Thanks very much Deathball. I hope I can live up to your praise and I'll certainly be doing all I can to make Bromley rue the day they sacked me!

Cheers Seano!

So the season has come to an end.

I only managed four months of it and have already found myself at my second club.

Its been a relatively woeful start to a career in which i intended to reach the dizzying riches of the managerial elite, having got myself sacked from my first club already. Despite this I haven't been the only manager to suffer this season, with the top 3 earners getting a shake-up just one season in.

man1.png
man2.png
man4.png
Pep GuardiolaJose MourinhioRafa Benitez
Bayern MunichChelseaReal Madrid
£165,000 per week£145,000 per week£140,000 per week

Arsene Wenger bows out of the top three, retiring from the lead role at Arsenal and allowing Real Madrid manager, Rafa Benitez to sneak in with an equally ridiculous wage.

Interestingly Carlo Ancelotti took over at The Gunners. Apparently the veteran Italian manager isn't valued quite as highly as Arsene at the Emirates stadium, taking in a measly £92,000 per week.

Non the less its all still a world away from the earnings of a non-league manager in Bristol.

Man0.png
Derby Jack
Bristol Rovers
£450 per week

Four hundred and fifty pounds per week. To give you a better comparison this is about £21,600 a year. Below average wage for the United Kingdom apparently.

I'm £164,550 a week behind leading manager Pep Guardiola after my first season in the game but non the less this is still progress.

A strong and dominant season with the resurgent Bristol Rovers could do wonders to increase my value in the beautiful game.

Given I'm a Bristol Rovers fan, I would advise you to try and keep a core of key players, I would say rid of Howe and Lines, Taylor would be a threat in front of goal, Parkes and Lockyer should be your starting center back pairing for most of the season, now for goal, Puddy and Preston would be ok for the season, get one on loan if possible, I would suggest to mostly improve in the midfield mainly the center of midfield.

Thanks alot for the heads up gthame. I don't think I'm going to have too much say in most of those departures to be honest. Most of them have handed in their transfer requests as soon as I got through the door.

BristolRovers.png

BristolTransfer1.png

So as you can see attempts at holding back the floodgates of departures went just about as well as could be expected.

Six players said goodbye to the Memorial Stadium as their contracts came to an end, with only Christian Montano and Nathan Blissett actually departing from the first team.

Lee Mansell and Will Puddy both refused to sign new contracts with the club but planned on floating around the team until other offers came long. Not wanting to hold onto anyone who wasnt fully committed to the club I gave them both the boot and set about frantically trying to find replacements.

I'm not taking any chances this time around.

BristolTransfer2.png

BristolTran-3.png

Cost: Free

In what would prove to be a running theme of the transfer window, I signed a youngster in the shape of former Chelsea product Faiq Bolkiah. The rapid teenager will be slowly worked into the right wing.

BristolTran-4.png

Another out of contract promising youngster makes his way out to Bristol as Czech goalkeeper Jindrich Stanek joins the ranks. The giant Twenty year old already looks set to take position between the sticks straight away.

BristolTran-5.png

I'm not saying I'm a lazy man but having sent the scouts out to watch the annual English trialists game I soon decided to stop sending scouts far and wide instead opting to fight to bring in a host of bright young players Starting with former Everton youngster Harry Charsley.

BristolTran-6.png

Signing players best on a scout report of one game might seem to be a rather foolish way to conduct a transfer window but I've got faith in these boys. Jorge Intima will pull on a Bristol Rovers shirt and his acceleration alone should make him a threat in the league.

BristolTran-7.png

The last singing and at the age of Twenty One, the oldest signing of the window see's Aussie striker Skapetis bolster our striking options. Once signed by Stoke for over a quarter of a million this guy clearly has something about him...I'm just not too sure what it is.

So yeah. I signed a load of kids.

Truth be told I did take a look at a few veteran players but its hard to get excited about a host of Thirty years olds playing out their twilight years in the basement of English football.

Its much more fun to sign some former youth products bewildered by being released from the lofty heights of some of the biggest clubs in the country and quickly forced into a Bristol Rovers shirt before they realise whats happening.

Preseason
2016/17

BristolPre-1.png

9th July 2016
Friendly

BristolPre-2%20copy.png

Having signed up six players all released from the youth teams we decided to give them a quick opportunity for revenge as we matched up against some strong under Twenty One teams, Everton the first to fall as we cruise to a three goal victory.

12th July 2016
Friendly

BristolPre-3.png

Next up is Watfords Youth team and they too are put to the sword by our own quickly developing squad. New signing Faiq Bolkiah adds his name to the scoresheet in his first run out for the club, making an early bid for the open starting spot on the right wing.

14th July 2016
Friendly

BristolPre-4.png

Our one and only game against an actual first team has us get convincing humped by League One's Swindon Town. The game started brightly as we opened the scoring however our final impact in the game summed up the remaining Eighty Nine as we pick up a late red card.

19th July 2016
Friendly

BristolPre-6.png

Retreating to bullying young players we smash four past Tottenham's finest kids. Bolkiah continues to impress his new team-mates with the opening goal of the game but Striker Matty Taylor steals the spotlight as he rounds off an encouraging pre-season with a well taken hat-trick.

Not a bad warm-up for the season ahead.

To be honest I never really know what to expect or feel following the pre-season but it certainly made me feel better spending the majority of it smashing some goals past some of England's most talented teenagers.

Last edited:
So here it is my first ever start to a season. Having got familiar with the first team and bringing in some of my own finest handpicked players to the team this is my first opportunity to truly showcase what I can do.

There is no better time to increase my value at this early stage of my career.

August 2016

August16-a.png

6th August 2016
Vanarama National League

August16-b.png

The season starts with a win. Only the sixth of my career but its time to forget what happened at Bromley. As the man in charge of the Vanarma National Leagues biggest team I should probably get used to that winning feeling...

9th August 2016
Vanarama National League
August16-c.png

...Well thats a feeling I'm very used to. Boreham Wood dominate the entire game as my experimenting with the tactics apparently failed to implement any kind of defending. I was genuinely hoping for an unbeaten streak to set the early pace in the league.

13th August 2016
Vanarama National League

August16-d.png

Taking the instructions back to basics, the boys respond in style, thumping four well taken goals past a woeful Aldershot. New singing Bolkiah gets his first professional goal to round off a convincing display.

20th August 2016
Vanarama National League

August16-e.png

On the back of that stellar display we make it six goals without conceding as we cruise past Macclesfield. Rene Howe still has his sights set on leaving the club and did a superb job of highlighting his worth to any potential suitors with a well taken brace.

23rd August 2016
Vanarama National League

August16-f.png

I don't really know what happened. The Harriers welcomed us to Kidderminster with an efficient displaying, finding the back of the net three times from just four shots on target. A real lesson on how to take your chances.

27th August 2016
Vanarama National League

August16-g.png

We round off a dubious start to the season with a bore draw against Braintree. A fitting way to end it as the team struggles to adjust to non-league football.

August 2016
Vanarama National League

August16-1.png

Despite dropping six points already we still find ourselves sitting just outside the all important playoff positions. My aim of smashing my way to the top of the table already appears to be fading fast.

September 2016

Sep16-z.png

3rd September 2016
Vanarama National League

Sep16-a.png

A red card swings the entire game in the other direction as Okito is sent to the stands just after the hour mark. A penalty and being reduced to just ten men gifted Wrexham the eventually victory as we slowly slip away from the play-off spots.

6th September 2016
Vanarama National League
Sep16-b.png

Our close neighbours add to our poor start to September with a fortunate victory. The boys controlled the majority of the game following Matty Taylors opener but two lapses in concentration are well taken by Forest Green Rovers as they ****** the victory.

10th September 2016
Vanarama National League

Sep16-c.png

We make a welcome return to winning ways with a convincing display over Eastleigh. A change in the frontmen has Matty Taylor pair up with the young Aussie Skapetis and the two get off to an impressive start, picking up a goal a-piece on the way to a much needed three points.

17th September 2016
Vanarama National League

Sep16-d.png

A ding-dong battle between two of the clubs both aiming for the top of the table has Dover take the spoils despite another solid showing from our new strike duo. A goal just eight minutes from time was a cruel way to give us our third loss of the month already.

20th September 2016
Vanarama National League

Sep16-e.png

Our inconsistent form continues as we see off Barrow back at the Memorial Ground. Left winger and key player in the newly formed Gibraltar national team, Jake Gosling grabs the only goal of a lackluster game.

24th September 2016
Vanarama National League

Sep16-f.png

We finally put down some convincing form as we make it two victories in a row with a Matty Taylor inspired victory over Welling. The Twenty Five year old is really starting to come into some good form of late.

September 2016
Vanarama National League

August16-1.png

Our wobbly form continues but we're still managing to cling onto the edge of the play-off spots. Some more tinkering with the tactics is much needed as we look to take control of the league before the front runners begin to run away with it.

October 2016

Oct16-z.png

1st October 2016
Vanarama National League

Oct16-a.png

Tranmere suffered the same fate as us last season with a demoralising victory last season and both teams took out there frustrations on one another in a thrilling game at the Memorial Ground. A late goal in extra time salvaged an important point for us.

4th October 2016
Vanarama National League
Oct16-b.png

Southport are veterans of this league but we showed them what we can do with a well earned victory on the road. Our push to get back into the football league is starting to gather momentum now.

8th October 2016
Vanarama National League

Oct16-c.png

The good form continues to build as we see off Hemel Hempstead with another impressive away win. The new boys to the league will get no warm welcome from the Gas.

15th October 2016
Vanarama National League

Oct16-d.png

One of the more reputable teams in the league, Torquay gave us one **** of a game. Promising Aussie finisher Skapetis gave us the perfect start but one way traffic from Torquay in the second half saw the points slip away.

18th October 2016
Vanarama National League

Oct16-e.png

Another tight game in the league. We are certainly being made to battle for every point this month and even a struggling Worcester proved to be more then a match for us. My planned romp to the title is really becoming a pipe dream fast.

22nd October 2016
FA Cup - 4th Qualifier Round

FACup-a.png

Rovers are in a shocking state financially with money pouring out of the club but an easy victory against Welling put the club one step closer to a money spinning cup run.

29th October 2016
Vanarama National League

Oct16-f.png

One more draw for the books. This game was the very definition of a bore draw as both clubs struggled to mount any form of convincing attack, both settling for a point and a chance to rest some weary legs.

October 2016
Vanarama National League

October16.png

A largely frustrating month has us forced to settle for four draws in total. Its nice not to lose games but four points from a possible twelve is not the kind of form that is going to claim the title.

Last edited:
BristolRovers.png

With our form in the league being decidedly inconsistent and with a burning desire to really lay down a marker in my first full season as a manager I opted to return to the transfer market to add some more depth to our team.

Octtransf-d.png

Octtransf-b.png

Sticking to the theme of our signings at the start of the season I bring in yet another young player. A product of Blackburn's academy Edgar never got a shot at breaking into the first team with the Championship club but the pacey winger has all the markings to be an influential winger at this level of the game.

With yet another fledgling player added to the first team ranks we now have one of the most potentially lethal teams in the division. One small problem. The Vanarama National League is the place potential comes to die.

We need to get these buys on the rise and fast.​

November 2016

Nov16-z.png

1st November 2016
Vanarama National League

Nov16-a.png

The unbeaten run continues as we scrape through the game against Chester. Matty Taylor continues to work hard every game and his efforts are rewarded with the winning goal just after the hour mark leaving us just one point shy of the play-offs.

7th November 2016
FA Cup - 1st Round
FACup-b.png

Vanarama South side AFC Telford went up against us in the first round of the FA Cup and given that the entire team is on its last legs, they gave us exactly what we didn't need. A replay.​

12th November 2016
Vanarama National League

Nov16-b.png

We rode out our luck against Lincoln, with the Imps giving us the opening with a ballooned clearance that found its way into the roof of the net but despite that gift we failed to push for the win eventually doing just about enough to cling on to a point.

16th November 2016
FA Cup - 1st Round Replay

FACup-c.png

With the players essentially dieing on their feet we laboured to a win against lowly Telford and booked ourselves into the second round of the Cup. We're just one round away from a money-spinning tie against a Premier League giant.

19th November 2016
Vanarama National League

Nov16-c.png

We pretty much had to have some of the players carried around the pitch in this game as exhausted players and inexperienced youngsters lay wasted around the pitch. Ebbsfleet quickly took advantage strolling to an easy victory.

22nd November 2016
Vanarama National League
Nov16-d.png

Having been relegated from League Two alongside us, Hartlepool are giving us a prime example in how to make an instant return. Another three points to their impressive early tally increased the gulf between our two sides.

26th November 2016
Vanarama National League

Nov16-e.png

With the boys basically crawling through the last two games we opted to drop the pace of play and play some route one football. It paid off instantly as we pick up an impressive victory against Gateshead. No style or flair but a win is a win.

29th November 2016
Vanarama National League

Nov16-f.png

Just three days in between the games and a repeat performance from the boys makes their exhausting efforts worthwhile. Nuneaton are non league veterans but our young team showed them just how its done at this level.

November 2016
Vanarama National League

November16.png

We hold on to our position just outside of the playoff spots in what is shaping up to be one very tight race to the top but with the boys far from at their best, I'm still holding out hope that I'm yet to get the best out of this team.

December 2016

Dec16-z.png

3rd December 2016
FA Cup - 2nd Round
FACup-f.png

My first ever reputable victory. League Two's Morecambe came into this game expecting to have an easy pass into the third round but the boys refused to let this opportunity slip, fighting back time after time to put our names into the pot with a goal eight minutes from time.

6th December 2016
Vanarama National League
Dec16-a.png

On the back of our Cup victory the boys returned to the league as the lowest ranked team in the competition and their pride carried over into the next game destroying Aldershot with a superb four goal victory.​

10th December 2016
FA Trophy South - 1st Round

FATro-a.png

Despite making waves in the FA Cup we failed to even make a ripple in the Trophy falling to a convincing defeat against Vanarama South side Sutton United. A chance at some realistic silverware gone in a flash.

13th December 2016
Vanarama National League
Dec16-f.png

The trophy exit fresh in our minds we went out against fellow promotion chasers Boreham Wood. We went into a convincing lead against them just after the break but a collapse towards the final whistle saw us completely drop all the points.

26th December 2016
Vanarama National League

Dec16-d.png

With the boys put into a frenzy by an inspired team talk they stepped out in front of a bumper crowd at the Memorial ground and put on one **** of a ...lifeless draw. It was literally appalling. I'm not even sure we managed a shot on target.

28th December 2016
Vanarama National League
Dec16-g.png

With us giving The Rovers faithful the equivalent of socks and underpants for Christmas in the previous game we upped the anti as we head towards the new year repaying the loyal away day fans by pulling off a superb late fight back to secure the victory in style.

31st December 2016
Vanarama National League

Dec16-e.png

And we say goodbye to 2016 with a repeat performance smashing home three, first half goals to claim the victory before the break. Hopefully we can continue the new year in the same fashion.

December 2016
Vanarama National League

December16.png

Our festive form has us climb one place higher still sat just outside the Play-offs. The leading pack are now some distance away as the title hopes are now hushed away to save some pride. Looks like I'll settle for a play-off spot. At least its something...

BristolRovers.png

The New year brings about the January transfer window and with things not exactly working out as I intended I opted to use even more of an increasingly depleted wage budget to strengthen the team further but before I could set about bringing anyone in, there was one man to leave Bristol behind.

JanTran-a.png

Rene Howe. The man i singled out as being crucial to the season ahead, finally gets his wish and leaves the club behind.

Truth be told he never lived up to my expectations with his time in the first team and with him adamant on leaving, Shrewsbury keen to add to their ranks and a substantial wage taken off the books it turned out to be a move for the best of both parties.

JanTran-b.png

JanTran-c.png

The man brought in to fill the boots of Howe is none other then Icelandic prodigy Ragnar Mar Larusson. I tried to sign the former Brighton forward in the summer but the determined and talented Viking still had his aims set higher then non league Bristol. Its amazing what half of a seasons on the sidelines will do to a mans pride.

JanTran-d.png

Final signing of the season is right back Cameron Dummigan. The back four have not exactly impressed in the first half of the season but the addition of the Northern Irish right back is a solid step in the right direction for turning them into a formidable force.

I can't stop signing Young players.

If there was any evidence that this transfer policy was actually paying off I might have understood why I seem so adamant on filing the club with potential, as things stand I'm starting to wonder whats wrong with me.​

How just asking have any +28 in your first eleven? Somehow inconsistent but that's what you get with young guys and that is one reason why I dont want have too many of them in my teams.. If you look in my Jarkko Wiss save and Ilves key players I think there is one under 25 y old

Rather embarrassingly Nnicod I have just the one and truth be told he is not going to be kicking around for much longer. I like to have a team that grows with me to start with, probably not my best plan when I intend of hopping from team to team and grabbing money whenever possible. Thanks for the comment again!

January 2017

Jan17-y.png

2nd January 2017
Vanarama National League
Jan17-a.png

The Year kicks off with an exciting but ultimately disappointing game for The Gas. Having shot into a two goal lead within just quarter of an hour we took our foot well and truly off the gas before then plowing the car into a wall. Wrexham romped home with three late goals to ****** the points.

7th January 2017
FA Cup - 3rd Round
FACup-g%20copy.png

With fingers crossed for a big money tie against a Premier League giant we are instead rewarded with recently relegated Bournemouth. The Cherries are flying through the Championship on there way back to the top flight and easily brushed us a-side on their way to the next round. Not a bad Cup run though.​

10th January 2017
Vanarama National League
Jan17-b.png

We're really struggling to convert any of our chances with our strike force seemingly scared to shoot when they get in front of goal, non the less a draw with fellow high-flyers Eastleigh is not to something to begrudge.

17th January 2017
Vanarama National League
Jan17-c.png

Another game and another solitary point. We're not exactly tearing into the season following the turn of the new year. Looks like we are struggling to get over some pretty hefty new years hangovers.

21st January 2017
Vanarama National League
Jan17-d.png

Just to add to our Winter blues, Barrow give us a complete run around in a bitterly cold away day fixture. They scored all three of the goals as we once again wasted any of our chances in-front of goal. I'm still yet to master these tactics.

28th January 2017
Vanarama National League
Jan17-e.png

We round off the first month of the year with yet another disappointing draw. The only bright spot of the game is an absolute screamer from right winger Intima. The Guinea International has been in fine form despite the recent results.

January 2017
Vanarama National League

January17.png

One bad month and we spiral down the table. The playoff spots have slipped out of our grasps with as barreling towards the end of the season already. I'm beginning to lose my patience with the boys. We should be gearing up for life in the football league by now.

Great story so far mate.
It's made me want to start one of these saves for myself, might create a thread for it.

Unlucky with the most recent update. Wobbly season to say the least but hopefully you can steady the ship towards the latter stages of the season.

Thanks Seano, sounds like a good plan. I'm hopeful but don't really feel like I'm making much of an impact, probably because I'm effectively running a youth hostel here.

February 2017

Feb17-z.png

11th February 2017
Vanarama National League
Feb17-a.png

A welcome break in the fixtures gave me a chance to rally the troops and try and develop some kind of tactic and it seemed to pay off almost straight away. New signing Larusson came on at half-time and the young Viking soon made a name for himself smashing home a game changing brace.

28th February 2017
Vanarama National League
Feb17-c.png

Harrison has had to spend the majority of the season watching from the bench but the bit part striker certainly made a strong claim for a starting position with our second brace of the month. An early red card certainly helped matters however.

February 2017
Vanarama National League

February17.png

A short but positive month has us back within touching distance of the all important play-offs. If I'm going to make a flying start to this career its all important that I at least reach the boards targets before the end of the season.

March 2017

Mar17-z.png

4th March 2017
Vanarama National League
Mar17-a.png

Given that we dominated in February it should have been obvious, given our inconsistent form this season that we should then go on to lose against lowly Hemel Hempstead. At this stage of the season these dropped points are starting to get to me.

11th March 2017
Vanarama National League
Mar17-b.png

Making sure that we continue to tear every page out of the form book we bounce back from defeat by absolutley destroying a Tranmere Rovers side that like us remain lurking just outside the playoff spots. I dont know what's happening!

21st March 2017
Vanarama National League
Mar17-d.png

Torquay hold us to a draw as we struggle once again to convert a host of chances. The boys just aren't meeting expectations. Torquay are way down the table desperately fighting against relegation. These points should be easy pickings.

25th March 2017
Vanarama National League
Mar17-e.png

And that just about caps it off. Worcester like Torquay find themselves at the bottom end of the table yet they made us look like the strugglers. We scored the early goal before allowing them to completley run the entire second half.

Not going to lie I might have taken out my frustrations in the post match team-talk...

FebConv.png

March 2017
Vanarama National League

February17.png

We're still in the running but given that I've been saying that for the entirety of the season its not exactly saying much. With the boys now rebelling against me, the board beginning to realise that hiring a complete novice with only a convinving relegation under his belt as the manager might not have been such a bright idea, I'm starting to feel the pressure as we head into the final month.

Last edited: