The Great San Marino Challenge & Discussion Thread

@sammyt: I liked that idea for a thread thought it could be fun, the mods didn't like it though so that's it. I'm not going to insist with anyone, too much hassle for me ;)

@Athe: Antigua & Barbuda sounds extreme... at which club did he appear? was he an english with dual nationality? And you're right about stars/PA, I also rate attributes much more important. The problem is my latest class of youngsters had both ****** attributes AND hopeless PA :p

to be fair 2015 is waaaaay too soon to start complaining about lack of progress for San Marino, had excellent results so far (probably the best possible (H)) but I for one should know this challenge requires patience! I restarted so late (and so close to FM12) only because I wanted to test a new tactic of mine in the lower leagues and chose good ol' San Marino, and then I couldn't stop ;)

Ahh the addictiveness of San Marino.

Kanderrson have you tried SM on the demo yet?

Ahh the addictiveness of San Marino.

Kanderrson have you tried SM on the demo yet?

I haven't played the demo at all, too big to download for me... I'm very much old school :p

I'll give myself one week or two to get accustomed to the new game, then focus on my serious saves for this year: San Marino and Toronto (if they have fixed MLS like they say they have). Want to go VERY deep with both hopefully this time no bugs, crashes or other technical problems will stop me - I have a bad feeling about steam though...

I haven't played the demo at all, too big to download for me... I'm very much old school :p

I'll give myself one week or two to get accustomed to the new game, then focus on my serious saves for this year: San Marino and Toronto (if they have fixed MLS like they say they have). Want to go VERY deep with both hopefully this time no bugs, crashes or other technical problems will stop me - I have a bad feeling about steam though...

hopefully they will have fixed the mls as i had a really good save going with toronto on fm11 that was ruined by the bugs, especially the one with players being released and the fact that if you tried to trade an international slot, which i needed a couple of really, then it went through as a free transfer and you didn't get the slot. oh and somehow i worked around teh wage budget bug but that was also really annoying, especially when it stopped me signing players that realistically would go to the mls, even though i had digard, anton ferdinand, abou trika, hosny and wright phillips in my side already. although i'm sure that game had some sort of conspiracy against my teamas everytime i went into a key fixture including the playoff's in 2 consecutive seasons all my players were on international duty, which really annoyed me as i clearly had the strongest lineup in the mls.

oh and i've only ever had 1 problem with steam and that was a freak problem that probably occurs with less then 1% of people as we had a powercut whilst steam was updating meaning it kept trying to update so i couldn't access it but i found a way round that somehow.

hopefully they will have fixed the mls as i had a really good save going with toronto on fm11 that was ruined by the bugs, especially the one with players being released and the fact that if you tried to trade an international slot, which i needed a couple of really, then it went through as a free transfer and you didn't get the slot. oh and somehow i worked around teh wage budget bug but that was also really annoying, especially when it stopped me signing players that realistically would go to the mls, even though i had digard, anton ferdinand, abou trika, hosny and wright phillips in my side already. although i'm sure that game had some sort of conspiracy against my teamas everytime i went into a key fixture including the playoff's in 2 consecutive seasons all my players were on international duty, which really annoyed me as i clearly had the strongest lineup in the mls.

oh and i've only ever had 1 problem with steam and that was a freak problem that probably occurs with less then 1% of people as we had a powercut whilst steam was updating meaning it kept trying to update so i couldn't access it but i found a way round that somehow.

MLS was simply unplayable in FM11, should be much better now from what I've heard. Actually from what I've read at SI blogs it seems that MLS and A-League will be FM12 main "new" features...

@Athe: Antigua & Barbuda sounds extreme... at which club did he appear? was he an english with dual nationality? And you're right about stars/PA, I also rate attributes much more important. The problem is my latest class of youngsters had both ****** attributes AND hopeless PA :p

Popped up in my academy, was playing Gladbach. He also had German nationality but he was born in A&B.

Popped up in my academy, was playing Gladbach. He also had German nationality but he was born in A&B.

how cool is that!

in my Wellington Phoenix save our academy came up with a decent Uzbek/Australian defender (I had an Uzbek feeder club), a good English/New Zealander midfielder (I had an english coach) plus another excellent Kiwi striker (4 stars PA, and most of all touted to be better than my star striker Vladimir Yurchenko!)

why these things never happen with San Marino :p

on my toronto save i had a south african that went to ligue 1, a guatemalan that had the potential to play at a similar level to swp and a brilliant cayman islands left back. oh and my star canandian LAM that was better then abou trika by the time he turned 19.

how cool is that!

in my Wellington Phoenix save our academy came up with a decent Uzbek/Australian defender (I had an Uzbek feeder club), a good English/New Zealander midfielder (I had an english coach) plus another excellent Kiwi striker (4 stars PA, and most of all touted to be better than my star striker Vladimir Yurchenko!)

why these things never happen with San Marino :p

Nationality of regens is dependant on scouting knowledge, when I establish a good scouting network I often get players from weird places. Not all of them are good, but even the shittiest of regens can be a regular for, say, Andorra.

Nationality of regens is dependant on scouting knowledge, when I establish a good scouting network I often get players from weird places. Not all of them are good, but even the shittiest of regens can be a regular for, say, Andorra.

I like to think we're in good shape in that area tbh ;)

View attachment 198676

so if a club like inter milan or barcelona had full bar research of san marino then they'd have a better chance of producing a san marinese regen?

so if a club like inter milan or barcelona had full bar research of san marino then they'd have a better chance of producing a san marinese regen?

well that was the idea behind my "plan" and should make sense in theory.

the problem is big clubs like those already have a huge amount of scouting knowledge via staff and feeder clubs, so they're likely to create regens of other nationalities (I mean other than their local one) instead of San Marino despite a full bar of knowledge (eg Barcelona will produce a bunch of Spanish lads plus the odd brazilian, argentinean or english). It's a matter of statistics I guess.

as for my "plan" for NT staff, the best thing would probably be hire the best staff from the best clubs that have LESS scouting knowledge, so they'll get the full SM bar research and produce youngsters of their nationality plus the odd Sammarinese (as San Marino will be the ONLY knowledge they have beside their own nation)

well that was the idea behind my "plan" and should make sense in theory.

the problem is big clubs like those already have a huge amount of scouting knowledge via staff and feeder clubs, so they're likely to create regens of other nationalities (I mean other than their local one) instead of San Marino despite a full bar of knowledge (eg Barcelona will produce a bunch of Spanish lads plus the odd brazilian, argentinean or english). It's a matter of statistics I guess.

as for my "plan" for NT staff, the best thing would probably be hire the best staff from the best clubs that have LESS scouting knowledge, so they'll get the full SM bar research and produce youngsters of their nationality plus the odd Sammarinese (as San Marino will be the ONLY knowledge they have beside their own nation)

maybe clubs from the lesser foreign leagues would be good like Cluj, Dinamo whatsit of croatia, Shaktar and clubs like Birmingham, Betis, Chievo, Istres

maybe clubs from the lesser foreign leagues would be good like Cluj, Dinamo whatsit of croatia, Shaktar and clubs like Birmingham, Betis, Chievo, Istres

well we're going to find out :p

the perfect candidate should be a club that:

- plays in an active league in your game (as active leagues produce much more players)
- has good youth facilities, good rectuitment network and staff with high recruitment attributes
- has ONLY staff from their own country
- has ONLY feeder clubs from their own country
- has ZERO knowledge of any other country except their own (and eventually San Marino)

but again it's all theory, luck will always be much more important ;)

so in other words an MLS club except they have academies so that doesn't work out.

Have been wanting to do this challenge for a long time now, but decided to put it off until 12 came out. Now that it's here, I can't wait for the new thread and to see everyone's progress!

Have been wanting to do this challenge for a long time now, but decided to put it off until 12 came out. Now that it's here, I can't wait for the new thread and to see everyone's progress!

Same here, have already started with San Marino club and the National U19s.

Will restart this challenge next season, maybe even blog it! But until then I will stick to my Doncaster save. Waiting until my birthday for the game!

glad to see other people interested in the San Marino challenge.

I'm definitely buying FM12 this week so new thread's coming soon, hopefully before November :)