The Great San Marino Challenge & Discussion Thread

Hi, I actually started a game as San Marino on FM2010 before I even realised there are forums for it. I didn't get very far and lost patience - I am about to start a new game after getting Blyth Spartans from Blue Square North to Prem League in 6 seasons. Got players in mind who I think can bring something to the team.

WBFC - FA Vase Winners - 2002, 2009, 2010, 2011

so there is no saves even i and a half years in? :(

I have played 1 club game and 1 International. Lost the club game 1-0 to Cremonese in the Coppa Italia and won 4-3 at home to Andorra in a friendly. It was a proud moment and yes there was a tear in my eye, Andy Selva extended his lead at the top of the goal charts with a brace.
I don't feel confident heading into my first qualifier against Holland in a few weeks. I'll keep you all posted!

FA Vase Winners - 2002, 2009, 2010, 2011

Just Beat Barcelona in champions leauge ;)- happy days away from serie C

2017??? and champions league, you using any aids or cheats. struggling in Serie A here. No transfer budget and pathetic wage budget. 4 points from 6 games.

No aids or cheats. Got a few great regens, i always pay in 48 month installments though. My keeper cost me 200k, now hes one of the best in Serie A, and I've sold two players this season for a combined 30 mill, 22 mill for one player. And when i do buy young regens i never pay over the odds, ive got most of my players for around 700k- 2m. Although now ive sold my best players, im putting all my faith in youth, and struggling a little more.

Last edited:
so there is no saves even i and a half years in? :(

Brian I have the old save in 2016 (serie A champions and CL runner-up) if you want it, or you can wait as I finish my second season AGAIN and get to serie B (yes I have restarted again with San Marino, wanted to test a new tactic but now I want to go on...)

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

2017??? and champions league, you using any aids or cheats. struggling in Serie A here. No transfer budget and pathetic wage budget. 4 points from 6 games.

it is possible mate, in my old save I had 3 consecutive promotions then manage to win serie A in 2016 you can find more details about that back in this thread ;)

I have decided to do this challenge. i had done it before but gave up so i started again but I holidayed through the first season. I havent played fm that long im quite new to the game only started at fm 10 but i need something until fm 12 comes out and ths challenge looks fun heres some screens from my first season:

View attachment 194952View attachment 194953View attachment 194954View attachment 194955View attachment 194956View attachment 194957

Im gonna lay low on the wage rise clauses for the coming season and realease some of the higher earners and try to get some players who will be better but im still happy with the team i have and it needs a little improving. I know the three players dont show last seasons stats but they were my three best players despite Lepri picking up POTY. Any thougs and suggtions for players would be much appriciated.

I've been away from the forum for a while but I'm proceeding well with my new SM career. New tactics, some old buddies from the past saves and great results (3rd season atm, battling for first place in serie B).

Also using new ideas to improve the national side, we'll see in a couple of years if they work...

Anyone still playing the challenge? any luck with sammarinese regens in the future?

Liam that was a nice 1st season, if you still want some suggestions feel free to ask :)

I've been away from the forum for a while but I'm proceeding well with my new SM career. New tactics, some old buddies from the past saves and great results (3rd season atm, battling for first place in serie B).

Also using new ideas to improve the national side, we'll see in a couple of years if they work...

Anyone still playing the challenge? any luck with sammarinese regens in the future?

Liam that was a nice 1st season, if you still want some suggestions feel free to ask :)
I just couldnt get myself to stick with it for some reason. I want to do it get a bit through it then poof dont want to again.

I love seeing others successes at the attempt though

I just couldnt get myself to stick with it for some reason. I want to do it get a bit through it then poof dont want to again.

I love seeing others successes at the attempt though

yeah it happens to me all the time, but never with San Marino ;)

this is my current career, using my past experience to get some truly amazing results:

View attachment 196681View attachment 196682View attachment 196683

cult player Alessandro Cesarini never lets me down, just won serie B top scorer to add to his collection:

View attachment 196684

on the other hand the national side has been a nightmare, including several 0-8 or 0-9 against Holland, Sweden or even Belarus... hope my new ideas to improve the NT will give some results in the next years!

yeah it happens to me all the time, but never with San Marino ;)

this is my current career, using my past experience to get some truly amazing results:

View attachment 196681View attachment 196682View attachment 196683

cult player Alessandro Cesarini never lets me down, just won serie B top scorer to add to his collection:

View attachment 196684

on the other hand the national side has been a nightmare, including several 0-8 or 0-9 against Holland, Sweden or even Belarus... hope my new ideas to improve the NT will give some results in the next years!

Super in the leagues. Im intrigued to find out what this new idea for the NT is

Super in the leagues. Im intrigued to find out what this new idea for the NT is

in my previous save I noticed sometimes other clubs were producing sammarinese youngsters, and generally of better quality than mine as they had better facilities and reputation. Soon I realised it happened when they had sammarinese staff (Juventus starts with a great GK coach from San Marino; Roma had hired another good one) or sammarinese knowledge (our parent club Cesena, long term link so can't be cancelled!).

So I thought this time I'd try to "force" this process by hiring the best staff from the best italian clubs as my NT staff (U21, U19, assistant, coaches): this way they improve their San Marino knowledge year by year, and pass it to their clubs thus improving chances of producing more (and better) sammarinese players outside our club!

Examples:

View attachment 196706View attachment 196707

Giusepper Baresi is now Inter's manager while Mauro Tassotti has been hired by Tottenham. San Marino knowledge bar close to max, we'll see what happens in the next years... Even a couple of decent SM youngsters from those reputable clubs would be a success and would make a huge difference for the NT!

in my previous save I noticed sometimes other clubs were producing sammarinese youngsters, and generally of better quality than mine as they had better facilities and reputation. Soon I realised it happened when they had sammarinese staff (Juventus starts with a great GK coach from San Marino; Roma had hired another good one) or sammarinese knowledge (our parent club Cesena, long term link so can't be cancelled!).

So I thought this time I'd try to "force" this process by hiring the best staff from the best italian clubs as my NT staff (U21, U19, assistant, coaches): this way they improve their San Marino knowledge year by year, and pass it to their clubs thus improving chances of producing more (and better) sammarinese players outside our club!

Examples:

View attachment 196706View attachment 196707

Giusepper Baresi is now Inter's manager while Mauro Tassotti has been hired by Tottenham. San Marino knowledge bar close to max, we'll see what happens in the next years... Even a couple of decent SM youngsters from those reputable clubs would be a success and would make a huge difference for the NT!
Great Idea!!! Then you can use your club when you have your own facilities back up I presume.

hi there all its great to see that theres still people doing this

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

woooooooo just won the to retain the serie c cup in my 2nd season

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

you all now how there is always a player that you just love mine ins chietti telling you he is amazing

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Chietti 27 games 21 goals in his 2nd season got to love him

I regret giving up on my SM challenge now, i'll probably start again on 2012 though.

Made it into Serie B

Hi everyone!

Just made it to Serie B, through the playoffs. But I wish I didn't. :)

I've got no money for transfers, most of my players now are no good for Serie B and I'm building up a totally new team.

But let's see what it happens...

Greetings

This thread has inspired me to pick up my old San Marino save. Currently am in Serie A for the second season but struggling with money and my key player, Almen Abdi, picked up a 9-10 month injury. It's going to be a long season.
@Kanderrson that Leandro looks amazing how on earth did you get him!? Hoping your NT plan works as I will definitely try it out in 2012 version, can't do it this version as can't get the job (**** glitch).
Look forward to seeing this challenge on FM12!

This thread has inspired me to pick up my old San Marino save. Currently am in Serie A for the second season but struggling with money and my key player, Almen Abdi, picked up a 9-10 month injury. It's going to be a long season.
@Kanderrson that Leandro looks amazing how on earth did you get him!? Hoping your NT plan works as I will definitely try it out in 2012 version, can't do it this version as can't get the job (**** glitch).
Look forward to seeing this challenge on FM12!

glad to hear that :)

Leandro was already on my radar when we were in serie B but couldn't sign non-EU from abroad back then. Dinamo bought him quite cheaply, but he never adapted to Croatia and was unsettled. I was able to buy him for 5M (including installements and league goals bonus), which was more or less my season budget thanks to a number of sells and co-ownerships that summer.

He finished the year strong and has started new season even better:

View attachment 197787View attachment 197788

the NT plan SHOULD work in theory... hope to see some results in the next years. Right now (2014) only Juventus managed to produce ONE sammarinese player, a good striker for our standard (wouldn't play him in serie C1...)

the shocking news is we eventually managed to win our first official match, an EURO qualifier against Kazakhstan!

View attachment 197789

ugliest game ever but who cares :p