Rodrigo Gomez is fantastic....Average age of my team is 20 and most regens I've signed are wanted by top european clubs, so I believe this team will have a lot of success in the future..Reporting at the end of the season :)
I forgot to put ss of a league table
View attachment 386448

Talk about a miracle, look at Tre Penne! not managing them (I am Celtic) and this is 1st season!!!
158B5143D0FD9A32C326C99C33AA641C58CC8335

Rodrigo Gomez is fantastic....Average age of my team is 20 and most regens I've signed are wanted by top european clubs, so I believe this team will have a lot of success in the future..Reporting at the end of the season :)
I forgot to put ss of a league table
View attachment 575150

Gomez is a beast, two-times Serie A POY for my two-times serie A winner San Marino team :)

In other news I've reprised My San Marino story, new updates here http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...t-another-san-marino-story-6.html#post2139360

San Marino club

Season 4
Serie A: 1st
Italian cup: 1st round (defeat vs Atalanta 0-1)
Top goalscorer: Ewandro - 20
Most assists: Rodrigo Gomez - 23

National Team

World ranking: 196th
Win: 2-1 vs Bonaire away(friendly)

We won the title in second season in Serie A. Rodrigo Gomez was best player and player of the year in Serie A, but the problem is his contract, which expires in a year, he want 71k per week and I can offer him only 35k, difference is big, but I hope that we will reach agreement. Otherwise I must sell him with a heavy heart :'( Board announce plans for new stadium. Construction of San Marino Stadium will cost around 42.5M. The new stadium is scheduled to be finished on 28th June 2019 and will boast undersoil heating, a retractable roof and a capacity of around 19,967.
View attachment 382626View attachment 382625

In this generation of players I've a regen who can become a world class DM..Manuel Marrioti, remember this name :) My first 5* regen Rinaldi have problems with injuries and a little more slowly developing, than I expected.
View attachment 382624View attachment 382623

a traitor :) who didn't want to play for San Marino NT
View attachment 382622

Others Sammarinese regens
View attachment 382621View attachment 382620View attachment 382619View attachment 382618

Meanwhile, Gomez played his first game for Argentina and now wants 110k, my wage budget for week is 475k :) PSG is interested, we'll see...I've a greek regen on his position, people say he will be new Robben :)

Well, it's been a long time since FM14 came out and this is the first time I decided to give it a go, with the latest database that I suppose makes it a little bit more difficult, as many great FAs and loan prospects have already been taken.

Season 1
Club

I considered the initial situation to be much better than expected, the wage budget is not very bad and gives you a quite large room to manouvre. There were several decent players in the original squad (esp. Sensi who was the standout player, Young Player of the Year of the league and POTY at San Marino - even though I prefer to follow a "Moneyball" approach relying almost exclusively on free players, I would have paid the 725K agreed fee for him - but he chose Cagliari instead of me; Graffiedi, Poletti, Pacciardi are all decent players at that level).

I managed to get some good loanees:
- David Simon at RB, best RB in the league, became an offensive threat after learning the long flat bullet throw,
- Testardi at striker, whose aerial strength inspired me to create a wide tactic with floated crosses - I don't really know how to play different tactics, but with him it was a given.
- Koopmans in goal, was instrumental, especially at the beginning.
- Umenugbu from Bologna at AMR, whose pace was good enough to create havoc, especially at the latter stages.
- Xavier Tomas, who arrived only for the final part of the season but was able to stabilize the defence.

Also had some free agents, Caillet in DC (quite old, not that good), Diamoutene at DC (very good, scored some crucial headers), Bonnanni at AML (after his ban expired on 1 Jan, he provided an extra spark on the left that was much needed), Youssuf Koubali at LB (really solid player), Lebresne at CM (though quite old, was a solid CM).

The season:

The first half of the season was difficult, with short good and bad sequences (an early exit from Serie C cup ensured that we only played once a week that was very useful as I had a small squad). We had some terrible luck halfway through the season, we conceded 3-4 goals in 90+ minutes to lose valuable wins with, but we managed to steady ourselves for the final 10 or so games, still, it was a close call, and a missed penalty in the last game cost us a potential win that could have made us 5th thus avoiding the best teams in the playoff. However, from then on, the team swung into a higher gear.

The QF saw us against Vicenza away (QF is only one leg), a meagre 1-0 win sent us to the SF against Venezia who were incredibly lucky in both our previous encounters. They won the first leg 1-0, but we completely shut them down in the 2nd and won 2-0 to get into the final against Cremonese. We drew 2-2 at home at first (CCCs were 3-0, half chances 6-4 for us), but we managed to turn around the 2nd leg 2-1 (CCCs 6-0 to us again...), so we got PROMOTED from the 7th place.
It was a great season, we improved constantly and got a deserved promotion. My moneyball-type approach was set aside for a bit during our worst form, and I rage-terminated the contract of some of our high earning-players to be able to sin some better ones and that left us in a financial turmoil at the end of the season, so this was a bit kamikaze ending of the season and we could have encountered serious problems without the promotion. Phew!

Nation

I decided to take over the nation in order to ensure that we won't miss out on any potential good regens. At first, it was a bit pain in the ***,as the team is really bad, so I just chucked in a very defensive tactic and hoped for the best. And it went pretty well, a close loss against Luxembourg (Selva missed a sitter while at 0-0), followed by a 0-8 thumping by England (but we managed to keep them goalless for the first 40 minutes, and we conceded 3 OGs in the final 10) and a 0-7 by Poland.

But then, it was 1993 again, as we drew against Ukraine away: they got ahead late with a corner, but then we managed to equalize through a stunning volley by Bollini after a corner. Later we had some success in friendlies, beating Bhutan twice and managing a goalless draw against New Zealand that saw us up to the 175th position in the world rankings. Not bad.

As the club had a significant incoming cash flow in the Serie B, I was able to strengthen the team to an extent that I feel that we could easily achieve a strong mid-table position, maybe competing for the promotion (although our squad is quite thin, so an injury crisis would have grave consequences).

Well, it's been a long time since FM14 came out and this is the first time I decided to give it a go, with the latest database that I suppose makes it a little bit more difficult, as many great FAs and loan prospects have already been taken.

Season 1
Club

I considered the initial situation to be much better than expected, the wage budget is not very bad and gives you a quite large room to manouvre. There were several decent players in the original squad (esp. Sensi who was the standout player, Young Player of the Year of the league and POTY at San Marino - even though I prefer to follow a "Moneyball" approach relying almost exclusively on free players, I would have paid the 725K agreed fee for him - but he chose Cagliari instead of me; Graffiedi, Poletti, Pacciardi are all decent players at that level).

I managed to get some good loanees:
- David Simon at RB, best RB in the league, became an offensive threat after learning the long flat bullet throw,
- Testardi at striker, whose aerial strength inspired me to create a wide tactic with floated crosses - I don't really know how to play different tactics, but with him it was a given.
- Koopmans in goal, was instrumental, especially at the beginning.
- Umenugbu from Bologna at AMR, whose pace was good enough to create havoc, especially at the latter stages.
- Xavier Tomas, who arrived only for the final part of the season but was able to stabilize the defence.

Also had some free agents, Caillet in DC (quite old, not that good), Diamoutene at DC (very good, scored some crucial headers), Bonnanni at AML (after his ban expired on 1 Jan, he provided an extra spark on the left that was much needed), Youssuf Koubali at LB (really solid player), Lebresne at CM (though quite old, was a solid CM).

The season:

The first half of the season was difficult, with short good and bad sequences (an early exit from Serie C cup ensured that we only played once a week that was very useful as I had a small squad). We had some terrible luck halfway through the season, we conceded 3-4 goals in 90+ minutes to lose valuable wins with, but we managed to steady ourselves for the final 10 or so games, still, it was a close call, and a missed penalty in the last game cost us a potential win that could have made us 5th thus avoiding the best teams in the playoff. However, from then on, the team swung into a higher gear.

The QF saw us against Vicenza away (QF is only one leg), a meagre 1-0 win sent us to the SF against Venezia who were incredibly lucky in both our previous encounters. They won the first leg 1-0, but we completely shut them down in the 2nd and won 2-0 to get into the final against Cremonese. We drew 2-2 at home at first (CCCs were 3-0, half chances 6-4 for us), but we managed to turn around the 2nd leg 2-1 (CCCs 6-0 to us again...), so we got PROMOTED from the 7th place.
It was a great season, we improved constantly and got a deserved promotion. My moneyball-type approach was set aside for a bit during our worst form, and I rage-terminated the contract of some of our high earning-players to be able to sin some better ones and that left us in a financial turmoil at the end of the season, so this was a bit kamikaze ending of the season and we could have encountered serious problems without the promotion. Phew!

Nation

I decided to take over the nation in order to ensure that we won't miss out on any potential good regens. At first, it was a bit pain in the ***,as the team is really bad, so I just chucked in a very defensive tactic and hoped for the best. And it went pretty well, a close loss against Luxembourg (Selva missed a sitter while at 0-0), followed by a 0-8 thumping by England (but we managed to keep them goalless for the first 40 minutes, and we conceded 3 OGs in the final 10) and a 0-7 by Poland.

But then, it was 1993 again, as we drew against Ukraine away: they got ahead late with a corner, but then we managed to equalize through a stunning volley by Bollini after a corner. Later we had some success in friendlies, beating Bhutan twice and managing a goalless draw against New Zealand that saw us up to the 175th position in the world rankings. Not bad.

As the club had a significant incoming cash flow in the Serie B, I was able to strengthen the team to an extent that I feel that we could easily achieve a strong mid-table position, maybe competing for the promotion (although our squad is quite thin, so an injury crisis would have grave consequences).

good season and GREAT nickname :)

Andy Selva always retires in first season :( I do have a decent regen named Selva, defensive midfielder though!

SEASON 2
Well, f*ck...
After a complete overhaul of the first team (only two players remained from the previous team) we indeed managed to compete with the big boys for the promotion, but it ended sadly. We started off the season with a bang, being on top of the league for a couple of weeks around Week 15, but several 4-6 game long winless stretches killed our chances of winning Serie B. The most infuriating was when we managed to destroy Udinese 5-1, only to then play two draws and a loss against team fighting relegation (2 of them got relegated)... The second place (direct promotion) was very close, but we had a terrible run and, losing against Ternana after being up 1-0 until the 85th minute was the icing on the cake and then it was too far. We finished sixth, then went on to beat Sassuolo in the preliminary round to face Verona in the Semis. We werent able to cope with their 343 during our two league games, and then they got incredibly lucky in the first leg, beating us 5-2 at Olimpico, scoring off two FKs, a corner and a ball lost by my defenders...We had nothing to lose in the 2nd, so we went out attacking, only to secure a 3-0 advantage in the 78th minute and then, qualification for the finals was only one goal away. Then, of course, they managed to score from their only chances of the game, so it ended a 3-2 win for us and elimination from the playoffs.

As for the cup, we qualified for the last Qual. round where we were eliminated in a very even game against Spezia.

Our financial situation is quite grave and I can just hope that missing out on promotion will not result in having to sell my players...

National Team
We managed to put in some respectable performances, the highlight being a home draw against Bulgaria in the EC qualification (also, we only lost 1-2 against a star-studded Croatia). The new regens are terrible, but I have one from the first batch who already has 3 goals to his name, he could easily overtake Selva in the future (who has just retired, aged 38, after the second season).

Next season
I am looking to clear out the remaining deadwood and improving my defense (which was very problematic at times) to be able to push for straight promotion next season.

Season 3
Now we are speaking...

The third season fortunately went as expected - after a reasonable strengthening of the squad, we managed to compete for the league title. We started off strongly, leading Serie B for some time, being in strong contention with Cesena. Suffering a 4-6 loss to Udinese brought us down to earth, and then a 90+1 min. winning goal by Cesena against us signaled the end of the good times. After that (mid-year) good and bad results started to alternate, and another late loss against our main rival for the 2nd place, Citadella put straight promotion in peril. Fortunately, we managed to embark on a 9-game unbeaten streak to cement our 2nd place. Our second late loss to Cesena meant that we forfeited the 1st position, but then we managed only 4 points from a possible 12 next, and Citadella were approaching, but easy wins in the final two games meant that San Marino were promoted directly to the Serie A.
The core of my team are: Ismael Falc?n (GK); Laczk? Zsolt, JA Riise, D Boyata (scored 15 goals), S Pasa, Capradossi, D Da Costa (defenders); Carlos Lazaro, O Malolo, S Sensi (managed to reloan him after his switch to Man United, Player of the Year once again), M Mateu (MCs); G Wijnaldum, G Kakuta, Jaime, M Lalikovic, R Insigne (wingers); T Varynen, Issa Kallon, M Obolo (strikers).

Coppa Italia
Decent performance from the guys, OT win against Serie C side Siena, easy win against Novara, a close triumph against Serie A side Chievo put us against the mighty AC Milan in the 1st round. A gritty performance from our side resulted in a close 2-1 OT loss, but we had more chances than AC Milan, so we were eliminated holding our heads high.

National Team
A pretty disappointing season, even though we managed to play close games against almost all of our group opponents, we failed to score a single goal,though we had our rare chances. Defending set pieces is the area that would require the greatest improvement, as we conceded 7 straight goals from corners and FKs in three consecutive games that could easily have been potential draws. Still no outstanding players from the youth setup, but I already have 8 players from the club in the national team, meaning we are slowly overtaking San Marino. Andy Selva finally retired, having 72 caps and 9 goals to his name (both records).

Expectations
Next season will be very tough, further strengthening is needed, especially in the defense (a proper LB above all). I think we should be able to avoid relegation, being better than the two other promoted teams (Cesena and Udinese) and some smaller teams (Chievo, Pescara). That is, IF we are able to strengthen the team.
I also conceded an insane amount of corners (the most in the league) which must be down to my faulty def. corner tactic as we also managed to score the most (props to Boyata)...I will have to make adjustments or we will be eaten alive.

Last edited:
Hi friends,

I'm a San Marino devote and I just bought Fm14, since I was stuck playing FM13 with San Marino up to around 2050 - i really love the job, I must admit. My question is, what tactics are you making use of at club level, (while climbing up to Serie B & Serie A) and what about NT? Thanks.

Bryan

Season 4
Not bad, but not too good either

After being promoted to the Serie A and receiving seemingly endless funds I somehow expected us to do better (even though I know that it does not give any competitive advantage as all teams receive huge amounts of TV money). We multiplied our wage budget and I felt it was disproportionately high, still, it was the second lowest in the league.
The season was a roller-coaster ride: after a promising start (unlucky losses, back-to-back wins against Roma and Lazio) we started to lose easy home games and it alternated between wins and defeats. We started to flirt with relegation places in February when we managed to pull ourselves together and went on to finish the season on a high, achieving a 8W-1D-3L run to be in contention to the Europa League places before the final three games. The remaining games were a disappointment, grabbing a single points from three easy matches to finish the season at 10th place. All in all, a satisfactory season.

With the huge influx of money, I tried to build the foundation of a great future team as I bought quite a few hot prospects and it might have backfired in the mid-season performance. I brought in two young Croatian regen DCs and a DR, two good, proven MCs (Gelson Fernandes, Radosevic), a young Croatian starlet in ST, and then managed to grab Memphis Depay during winter who was crucial in our spring run.

Coppa Italia
Decent run, eliminated by Samp in the 1st proper round. I would like to come back next year to try to win it.

National Team
Not too good, couple of 5-0 defeats, although we managed a late loss to Turkey and a draw against Hungary. Got some decent regens (a strong Target Man, a decent DL and a strong MC) and even though now we have some decent headers of the ball, we still concede a lot of goals from corners (I know that other factors contribute to this fact, but still annoying).

Aim for next season: try to fight for European places and achieve some progress with the NT.

Just completed the 2026 season. Just missed out on the World Cup, lost against Bosnia in the play offs by 1 goal. The club side is doing quite well though. Finished the season as champions and won the champions league. Here we go...

View attachment 373448View attachment 373447View attachment 373446View attachment 373445View attachment 373444View attachment 373443View attachment 373442View attachment 373441View attachment 373440View attachment 373439View attachment 373438

Successful season! I switched to a 3412 and made my tactic and it is really effective. Drew in the champions league final but absolutely battered them! Making some decent San Marinese players lately too. I think I am further going into the process of developing San Marinese players, even 2 star potential players seem good for me.

Season 5
Disappointment
After strengthening the squad with a new GK (Leali), DL and MC while also securing several loanees (Ljajic, Zelalem, Marcos Lopes, Podolski) I thought this squad might be enough to contend for European places. We started with 3 straight losses, but then stabilized our form and were fighting for Champions LEague places in the middle of the season. But then came a terrible skid of 10 games where we managed to secure 6 points out of 30 that saw us mid-table. We managed to pick up form for the last 6 games but a loss in the final game against Napoli meant that we did not qualify for the EL. The main problem was our defense as we were leaking goals like crazy - we scored the fourth most goals in the league but also conceded the fourth most...Our corners were terribly inefficient, managed to score one single goal all season while conceding one of the most, this is an other area that needs huge improvement.
We did not perform well in the Coppa Italia, being eliminated by a weak Torino side because I fielded a rotated team to concentrate on the league...
The aim for next season is to strengthen the defense and to create a tactic that suits the team better.

National Team
It was not a fruitful season as I tried to arrange friendlies against higher ranked teams in order to gain more points - we went on to lose against Indonesia, Canada, Gabon and Tanzania...The consolation was huge, however, as we managed to beat Hungary 3-2 at home in the qualification, a huge result for SM.
The aim is to create a more stable tactic for the national team as well. I also have two great SM/Italian regens who rejected my first call-ups although they would make it to the national team - I hope that they will soon realize that there is no place for them in the Italy NT and come home to SM, I would badly need them (esp. that one of them is a GK).

Hey! Glad to see people still doing this :) I lurk around here still sometimes! I'm a very busy student (is that an oxymoron?) and don't have any time in my life for FM these days :( But I just bought FM 2014 after a 2 year hiatus, and I have some time over summer so gonna crack on with San Marino again :p Not gonna start a thread cause I know I'll go inactive but you know, I'll post here a little if I can! Hoping my old favourites Aldo Jr Simoncini, Matteo Vitaioli, and the legendary Damiano Vannucci are all still knocking around!

Also having gained an Italian girlfriend and been there a bunch of times in the last two years and am trying to learn the language (pero', non sono buono) I actually feel more of a connection with the Italian Leagues- so it will make it more fun I hope! :)

Will be following your story if you're still active!

Hey! Glad to see people still doing this :) I lurk around here still sometimes! I'm a very busy student (is that an oxymoron?) and don't have any time in my life for FM these days :( But I just bought FM 2014 after a 2 year hiatus, and I have some time over summer so gonna crack on with San Marino again :p Not gonna start a thread cause I know I'll go inactive but you know, I'll post here a little if I can! Hoping my old favourites Aldo Jr Simoncini, Matteo Vitaioli, and the legendary Damiano Vannucci are all still knocking around!

Also having gained an Italian girlfriend and been there a bunch of times in the last two years and am trying to learn the language (pero', non sono buono) I actually feel more of a connection with the Italian Leagues- so it will make it more fun I hope! :)

Will be following your story if you're still active!

great to have you back Uber, the original San Marino Supremo!

Italian girlfriend is good, Sammarinese would have been better though. It's important that she doesn't have dual nationality ;)

Keep working on your Italian, you need to learn San Marino chants when we'll go to the Olimpico to see the Titani play - you know I'm based in Italy ;)

New San Marino all time top goalscorer! Sealed it with 4 goals vs Azerbaijan in the European Championship qualifier vs Azerbaijan to take San Marino to the top of the group, ahead of Germany!

View attachment 371401

Was 32nd in the World before this round of internationals too. #progress

Looks like I am going to buy this for the sale, my old computer was on its last leg and didn't have time really to dig deep. But I got a month or so, so will try to do this challenge again.

View attachment 368121

First season went as expected. The only thing that didn't go my way was getting Foti since he decided to sign elsewhere. At least I got my other places as we took first. It was a hard fought battle though to keep first (didn't lead it for only 7 games throughout the year)

View attachment 368120

Was in top 3 for the whole season. Took first with three games left in the year and went 1-1-1 to finish the year and still held first since second has the second record. Wasn't expecting to get first, I knew I could fight for promotion, but my team was on a run so it worked out in my end.

C1/A Record
View attachment 368119

This is a first for me. Usually I am all about defense, and just grinding out games in 1-0 or so. So it was nice to see actually for the first time in this challenge that I actually broke the team scoring record.

Serie B
View attachment 368115

Sadly not the goal record this time, nor was it the top goal scorer. Not big news as that, but was impressed that I did win Player of the Year.