The " I have a small question" thread FM13

Thanks and any idea how to get an international tactic fluid quicker
That's a tough one since you don't get them very long. I'd go with tactics training on very high intensity plus match preparation max (2 days) and also tactics only if your goal is to max tactics.

I have very young players at Partizan Belgrade in my first team. And they have Youth Contracts. So, my question is are they training with the same intensivity as the players with Full Time Contracts? Thanks in advance :D

Hi, I'm new to the forums and I figured I would just brain dump all the questions I have/vent my my frustrations. Firstly how does one consistently do well in this game? I haven't been able to go through a full year with any team and be successful (win the league/runner up/promotion). I mainly play with league 2 sides in Europe and I'm currently playing with Crewe in League One, where I finished 9th the first year and tenth the second year. The consistency I had going until January in year 2, where I was trading between first and second, then completely ******** the bed from January onwards finishing tenth.

Secondly how do you defend? Defending has been the ultimate death of my Crewe team, whether it be defenders simply passing it to the opposition, GK's completely fluffing it or just generally terrible defending. One common occurrence has been two defenders following the winger thus leaving my penalty box without one key central defender. I've also noticed that my teams give away an obscene amount of penalties and Crewe in particular have gone ten men down due to red cards often in my 3rd season.

This is my current line up in my usual formation of 4-2-3-1:

GK: Massey ** Defend
FB: Mellor *** half. attack. Right.
CD: Davis *** half. defend.
LD: Ellis ***. stopper.
FB: Dummett ** half. attack. left.
a: Robin Yalcin *** half. defend.
DM: Osman ** half. support.
am: Clayton **** half. attack. left centre.
am: Eisfeld ***. support. centre.
ap: Inman **** half. attack. right centre.
T: Leitch-Smith ****. attack. lone striker.

I'm currently on boxing day 2014. (Dec 26th for non Brits). Sitting in 7th in the league, having played 28 games, 11 won, 12 drawn, 5 lost. Scoring 41 and conceding 36. The last 5 games in particular have warranted serious concern, losing 3-0 at Preston, drawing 4-4 with Shef United (they lliterally scored on the last kick of the game), winning 3-2 at Oxford (was 3-0 up at the break), drawing 2-2 with Doncaster and finally losing 5-2 at Carlisle.

The tactics I have used this season (I generally tinkered before) was the 4-2-3-1 formation Control (would go to attack if goal down or inability to score against **** teams).

Style - Fluid
Strategy - Control
Passing - Shorter
CF- Default
Closing Down - Press More
Tackling - More aggressive
Marking - Zonal Marking
Crossing - Default
Roaming - Default
Defensive Line - Push Up.
Width - Normal
Tempo - Normal
Timewasting - Sometimes
FP - Mixed
Counter - Yes
Offside - Yes

Sorry for the long post and I know this may seem redundant with FM 2014 coming out, but I plan on continuing to play FM 2013 until Steam do a sale or something so I can get it cheaper.

TY
TBBW

Is it important for Assistant Coach and Coaches to share same preferred formation as the one I use? If I let assistant coach to do OI for me...is it important if he has good attacking/defending or some attributes to help make OI setup more efficient?

The tactics I have used this season (I generally tinkered before) was the 4-2-3-1 formation Control (would go to attack if goal down or inability to score against **** teams).

Style - Fluid
Strategy - Control
Passing - Shorter
CF- Default
Closing Down - Press More
Marking - Zonal Marking
Crossing - Default
Roaming - Default
Defensive Line - Push Up.
Width - Normal
Tempo - Normal
Timewasting - Sometimes
FP - Mixed
Counter - Yes
Offside - Yes

Playing with too much creative freedom can lead to poor play/decisions with lower league players (and some top tier players too), these are the changes I would like to suggest.
You might not think that a short passing game with creative and attractive play can be achieved with this setup, but I tell you....it can.

Style - Very Rigid or Rigid
Strategy - Counter
Passing - More direct
Creative Freedom - More disciplined
Closing Down - Default
Marking - Man marking
Crossing - Float
Roaming - Stick to position
Defensive Line - Deep (This MUST be left grayed out for shouts to affect. If set right it should be deep @ 5 clicks)
Width - Normal (this MUST be left grayed out for shouts to affect. If set right it should be normal @ 8 clicks)
Tempo - Normal (around 13 clicks)
Time wasting - Rarely (around 6 clicks)
Focused Passing - Mixed
Counter - Yes
Offside - No (never play counter and offside together) To effectively counter you need to drop deeper and to effectively play offside you need to press higher.

Formation recommendations.
My preference is for a 4-1-2-2-1
GK - Defend (we don't want the keeper going walk about, the less eccentric the better here)
FBs - Auto/support
CB's - Defend (you need both CB's on the same or similar mentality and closing down to prevent isolation of the other)
Anchor man - Defend
CM - Support (A more generic CM role is better for lower skilled players) DLP - Defend/support also works.
CM - Attack (A more generic CM role is better for lower skilled players) AP - Support/attack also works.
Defensive Wingers - Support (better option for marking opposition fullbacks, they tend to help your fullbacks too)
Poacher - (playing counter you want your striker to take his chances when he gets them, limit the passes back into midfield)

EDIT. Knock Defensive wingers long shots to rarely and stop them from holding up the ball.

Create and start the match using this shout.
"pass into space" "play narrower" "run at defence" & "get ball forward"
This keeps things tight at the back and makes you very difficult to pass through, hopefully frustrating opponents into shooting long.

I'd be interested to know how you got on if you tried out any of this

Last edited:
Is it important for Assistant Coach and Coaches to share same preferred formation as the one I use? If I let assistant coach to do OI for me...is it important if he has good attacking/defending or some attributes to help make OI setup more efficient?
You would think it helps to have coaches who share traits of your particular ethos, formation, passing style etc, but in all honesty I don't think it make to much difference. I could be wrong though.

The stat want to look for when your assistant manager recommends OI's is 'tactical knowledge'
Arguably the best assistant manager for this is Francisco Ayestaran.

Thanks very much for the feedback. Firstly, literally the moment after I posted this I went on a string of good results, finishing 4th in the league and eventually winning in the playoffs, gaining promotion to the championship.

I will try your tactic and I'll give feedback on it, I've got a young team who are continuing to get better so I'm hoping eventually I will be able to play a more creative style later on possibly. Thanks and I'll report back in awhile.

Glad to know your tactic bore fruit.
My tactic was is no way meant to replace yours, I use it mostly against strong teams both home and away.
It is just my way of still maintaining some attacking threat while staying relatively secure at the back, its not so focused on scoring or possession more positioning and not giving those annoying cheap goals away.

So I tried your tactic, along with my own, but mainly yours to test it. Played seventeen, won 6, drawn 4, lost 7. Scored 20, conceded nineteen. Would also like to know if anyone has a possession tactic that works with lower league teams?

Should I be concern with how large my U18 squad is? over 30 players at the moment...is this bad?

I have a doubt regarding training in FM 2013. Suppose i buy a 20yr old playmaker (AMC), who has promising technical and mental attributes but severely lacks physical attributes such as balance, strength, then how would i still develop his physical attributes as his intended individual training roles such as advanced playmaker or attacking midfielder doesn't train physical attributes at all. I suppose strength, balance, agility are required to be a successful dribbler if i am not wrong

I have a doubt regarding training in FM 2013. Suppose i buy a 20yr old playmaker (AMC), who has promising technical and mental attributes but severely lacks physical attributes such as balance, strength, then how would i still develop his physical attributes as his intended individual training roles such as advanced playmaker or attacking midfielder doesn't train physical attributes at all. I suppose stamina, strength, balance, agility are required to be a successful dribbler if i am not wrong

Can someone help me out..

Youth age is the best time to be working on their physical attributes. I am unsure how well can you still build on physical at age of 20. I also read a tip saying that there's not much of improvement at all after age of 24. So I am guessing that there's still some time left to build on your player's physical but I doubt it'll improve drastically as you would like.

I am still new and learning how play FM as FM13 my very first game.

Youth age is the best time to be working on their physical attributes. I am unsure how well can you still build on physical at age of 20. I also read a tip saying that there's not much of improvement at all after age of 24. So I am guessing that there's still some time left to build on your player's physical but I doubt it'll improve drastically as you would like. I am still new and learning how play FM as FM13 my very first game.

Thanks for your tip. I have been playing FM from FM 2009 onwards. FM13's training system got a overhaul so i couldn't assign a player with individual training (with sliders) hence the confusion. If you need any help with FM13 you may ask and i will help you setup your first time playing experience

hi guys, I am trying to import tactic in classic mode without any success.
when I import the game stop working. any ideas why?
sorry for my bad english.

A question particularly for those of you who are good at producing home-grown players. When should players be promoted from Reserves to the senior team? Particularly those who are promising (2 star CA / 4 star PA) and making good cameos off the bench or in the cups but don't yet merit a starting place. Does it happen automatically when they're old enough, like with the U18s?

Also, I always go with my coaches' suggestions for individual training focus for young players - they always agree and it seems to have worked so far. But it seems to change every time I look at it. How often should I check my young players' training focus and change it if the coaches suggest?

my game crashed before or after the match

how can I resolve this issue?
thanks.

For best header at corners, does jumping matter?

for eg. I have 2 players, player A has jumping 16 and heading 20 and player B has jumping 20 but heading 16, which one should be posted on the near post?