The Life and career of a Football manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before, but this is simply brilliant. It's by far the most stylishly written story on here I've seen, and I regularly check for updates. Keep it going! :)

apart from your amazing story, you got an amazing style of music.... Oasis, Coldplay and Arctic Monkeys love em

lol thanks.

Music and Football are 2 big passions of mine, (as is football manager ;) ) so i thought why not try and combine them all!

cheers dude

Next update will be available soon.

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 09:50 PM ----------

Chapter 14
Wednesday 27th October 2010
Roma vs. Siena

I was stood on just on the edge of the dugout as the game started, still full of confidence that we were more than capable of making a big impact on the league this season. I was still confident despite going into the game off of the back of a disappointing 2-2 draw away against Cagliari (Benjani (33), Mexes (77)). Whilst we had a slip up in the league we had extended our lead at the top of Group J in the Europa League after a brilliant fight back from 3-1 down to win 4-3 against Besiktas in Turkey (Ferrari og (2), Cerci (72) Vucinic (75) Benjani (91)). Meaning going into the game with Siena we were still unbeaten in nine League games and three Europa Group games and were third and first respectfully.

The ref started the game on what was turning into a cold October in Rome. The game started well for us and we had a couple of chances through Benjani and Riise in the first ten minutes, but then on fourteen minutes Ghezzal picked up the ball and our defence stood off, and he lashed the ball past Doni from twenty-five yards. We were 1-0 down the crowd silent in shock.

The goal seemed to spark us into life though and we started to control the game, having seventy percent of the possession for the next fifthteen minutes. And finally in the twenty ninth minute Riise picked the ball up and ran at the Siena defence, he shaped to shot from the edge of their area, but instead he slotted the ball through the middle of the defence and Taddei struck the ball first time past their keeper and sent our fans in to raptures as we equalised. 1-1 after half an hour. We controlled the game up to half time, but couldn’t break through.

At half time I was forced to make a change as Benjani picked up a knock, so I bought on Totti who took the captains armband. The change, whilst forced turned out to be a good tactical change as with Francesco’s experience we created more chances, Totti himself hitting the bar, Riise and Gibson scrapping the edge of both posts and Gudjohnsen forcing a brilliant save from the Siena’s keeper, but we still couldn’t break through and with five minutes to go, Siena broke on the counter attack. I could only stand there and watch as Ghezzal skipped past Mexes and calmly put the ball into the net. The whole of the Olimpico stunned into silence again, my players looking exhausted and the Siena bench running toward the pitch in celebration. 2-1. And that was how it stayed, even though shortly after the goal Siena had Salif Diao sent off for a rash tackle on Burdisso, to which Nicolas reacted badly and got himself booked for pushing Diao away, meaning he would miss our next game at Catani on Sunday.

I told the boys after the game, that they were unlucky and we should have won, had we of just taken our chances. In total we had had 21 shots, 13 of them on target, to Siena’s 10 shots overall.

I left the stadium, the streets around it desserted, around midnight with a bitter taste in my mouth. We had once again dominated the game, but we just couldn’t finish the chances when we got them. The bitter taste was that of defeat. One I didn’t like at all, and one hopefully over the next twenty eight games I wouldn’t have to deal with many more times. The loss had left us in fifth place on nineteen points. Now three points behind AC Milan, who had Drawn 0-0 at Atalanta and Udinese, who had lost 1-0 to Napoli, who in turn had moved into third on twenty points. Our other big threats to the title, Inter were also on nineteen points and above us on Goal difference. And Juventus just behind us on eighteen points.

I arrived home to find Alice asleep in bed, so I went back into the lounge and turned on my laptop. I had good look through the other European Leagues, Athletic and Barcelona topped the Spanish League, Bayern the German and Lyon the French. Then I came to the English leagues. Chelsea sat top of the Premier League, but the big shock was to see Man United lingering down in eleventh place having only won three games. Reports were coming out of England that the new board at Old Trafford had told the great Alex Fergusson he had a month to turn things around or face the sack. Of course this was only media speculation but instantly my mind drifted back to walking along Wembley Way and the conversation me and Danny had, had after the England game. If United did sack Fergusson should I apply for the job? I knew I always said that I would stay with Roma until the end of the season, but if United came along then surely it was a too bigger opportunity to turn down?

I sat there in the lounge and watched the highlights of the games from around Italy, before the highlights came on from England, and instantly my heart sunk again as the highlights from Craven Cottage came in.

Fulham hadn’t survived the relegation battle I had driven them into and were languishing down in seventeenth of the Championship. After everything that had happened at Fulham and after, part of me still wanted to be there fighting for the club where I had learnt my trade as a player and as a manager. I was happy in Rome sure, but my heart was firmly in England and after the trip to Wembley my head wanted to be there as well.

I knew I had to quell these feelings otherwise it could ruin everything I had worked for at Roma. My thoughts were finally bumped back to reality when Alice came through wearing nothing but her underwear again. After she had poured herself some water from the fridge, she came over to me and with out saying a word kissed me. She smiled at me and walked back to the bedroom, looking over her shoulder as she entered. I closed the laptop down, turned off the TV and headed to the bedroom, I walked in and saw Alice sitting on the edge of the bed waiting for me. She smiled and removed her bra as I closed the door............

looks like someones getting lucky 2nite lol. anyway unlucky against siena im sure ur team will bounce back

unlucky against Siena mate but loving your story some great writitng

Chapter 15
November 4th 2010
Roma Vs. Besiktas

Going into this game we had put the disappointment of Siena behind us the Sunday before, when we dominated the game against Catania, but still only managed one goal (Mexes 51). With our league campaign back on track we went into the Besiktas game knowing that a point would mean we would be in the knockout stage with two games to spare. I personally was confident that we could get more than a point off of the Turkish team, and I think deep down, the whole team were confident that they could take Besiktas apart.

We started well, my captain Totti opening the scoring with a powerful header from a Riise cross after just five minutes. Twenty five minutes and we made it 2-0, when Vucinic riffled home from twenty five yards. We should have been 3-0 up after thirty five minutes when Gibson’s shot was cleared off the line. But just three minutes later Taddei connected perfectly with a volley from a Gudjohnsen through ball. At half time we were dominating and firmly into the knockout stages leading 3-0 and never looking like conceding with Besiktas only having one shot.

I told the team not to let up at half time, go out and make a statement to the rest of Europe that we are the force to be reckoned with. The only downside to the first half was a knock to Vucinic, who I replaced with Baptista.

We controlled the second half, creating chance after chance. I bought on Van Der Vaart for the tiring Gudjohnsen in the sixtieth minute the score still 3-0. The change almost instantly got us the fourth goal I, the team and the crowd were craving, as Van Der Vaart linked with Totti, whose shot cannoned back off of the bar. The crowd were right behind us cheering every pass, when in the seventieth minute Gibson’s shot was well saved by Recber, but the ball fell straight at Totti’s feet and finally we had our fourth goal. With a four goal lead though, we got a little over confident and in the ninetieth minute a mistake by Juan allowed Besiktas to get a consolation goal, but we still ran out 4-1 winners and were through to the knockout stages of the Europa League with a one hundred percent record in the group. But despite these positives, one thing was still nagging me, our discipline. Today we lost four players for the next game with Motta, Mexes, Taddei and Pizarro all picking up a third yellow card in four games.

After the game I was informed that bookmakers had cut our odds and made us joint favourites, although it was early days with the likes of Monaco, Anderlect, Leverkusen, Villareal, Toulouse and Porto all looking like they would fail to get through their groups in the Champions League and be entered into the knockout stages of the Europa League. But despite their inclusion into our competition I was still confident we could go all the way to the final in Ireland.

Once again I was last to leave the ground that night, as I left I was stopped in the lobby by Sarah. She was struggling to fit in being the only English speaking receptionist at the club, so I agreed to at least teach her the basics of Italian but not tonight. As I was once again about to leave she stopped me again, asking just to talk to someone, she claimed not to have had a proper conversation since she arrived. So believing that every member of the club is as important as each other I stayed and talked to her. For nearly an hour we talked about our plans for Christmas, what Sarah had planned after she had finished her six month contract. When I realised the time I thought I really should get home, I was about to leave when Sarah grabbed my hand. She thanked me and threw her arms around me. The hug went on a bit too long and became awkward until a text message came through and interrupted it.

“Well done tonight babe. Sorry I couldn’t be there but I had to work late. See you when you get home. LY xx”

I looked at the text and smiled to myself, I was about to leave, when Sarah once again said goodbye. I turned around and looked back at her, a beautiful smile, her perfect blonde hair and blue eyes. I smiled back at her before I finally walked out of the stadium. I glanced over at my flat in the distance, no lights on. I got in my car and before I headed back to Alice in our flat I made a quick phone call.

“Hello mate, sorry it’s late........yeah thanks. We were amazing tonight................Yeah I know. I honesty think I can take us all the way.............Yeah I know mum’s been trying to ring me, I’ve kind of been busy......look that’s why I’m ringing. Tell mum I’ll be home around Christmas. We’ve got the Christmas break so I’ve got time to come home...............No it’ll just be me and it’ll only be for a few days...........yeah she got some modelling shot to do in Milan so it’ll just be me. OK...............look I’ve got to go............yeah love you to bruv.”​

I drove back to mine and Alice’s flat, quietly entering and going straight through to the bedroom. Alice was sound asleep, the sheets only just covering her perfect body. I smiled to myself as I got undressed and got into bed, before I turned out the light on what had been one of my more successful days as a manager, I kissed Alice’s forehead, she stirred slightly and smiled, but didn’t wake. I laid there for around another ten minutes just looking at her before finally I drifted off.

---------- Post added at 05:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

Hi all! Thanks for following this and reading. The next few updates are pretty much ready, and there are many twists and turns coming up.

I realise that this is a bit different to most stories on here, and is a little difficult to follow the football side of it. I just wanted to know if anybody would like to see a results overview every so often.......including current league position, results in-between "chapters", scoreres etc?? Let me know what you think and I'll make a decision about it??

Coming in here as the old fogey!!!!! I have a degree in English Lit - this is ******* well written mate and does a good job of keeping the attention over the other stories on here (no offense meant to anyone elses stories!)

Screenies are always good but I'm not sure if it'd spoil the whole 'journal' type layout you've got going on.

I've bookmarked this and will be reading it every update - fantastic idea fantastic story wish you the best in your FM game mate, sincerely!

looks like sarah is getting in the story alittle more here, some sort of twist maybe? Great win against Besikstas and congrats on getting trough the group stage :)

I think u should keep the layout how it is without the screen shots, but like if you get any requests for results just post them up or something. For example if you have any chance could I have a screenie of the champions league groups please?

Right i've decided that I'll carry on the way I am for now. If people ask for a results update I will post a brief short overview of results at the end a chapter. As for screen shots, they wont be making an appearence in the actual story, I will post the final league table at the end of the season and that is it.

Sorry Spidermullet but you'll have to keep reading to find out who is where in competitions, I will try and incorparate league positions of Big rivals and major clubs in major competitions.

no problem mate, your story your rules, im definetaly not going to complain.

just read it all fair play hard to make this type of story should start making ur own books forgot it was a story lol well done

I've just read all the way through and it is really great. Will be following closely now. Hope you get some kind of success with Roma

That took me about 1 hour and 30 mins to read (with distractions) and I thought it was amazing, i only read about 30 mins last night, and i've been waiting all day at school to read the rest of it, and just read the last 1 hour now. This is the best thing i've ever read before, you should copy and paste the whole story and save it on ur computer somewhere, because its amazing to read.;)

should have read it at school........they wouldn't have minded. lol It is all backed up dude, dont worry.....

anyways thanks for the support...Next update will be out very shortly!

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Chapter 16
Sunday 21st November
Roma Vs. Lazio

Seventeen days had pasted since Besiktas. Mine and the Team’s confidence had been fully restored sine the loss at Siena. We annihilated Torino, more than the 2-1 (Taddei (47), Van Der Vaart (78)) result suggested. That was followed by one of the most exciting matches of the season, away at Sampdoria where we had run out 4-3 winners (Taddei (32), Totti (53, 93), Pizzarro (87)).

For the first time as we welcomed the cameras from not only the Italian Broadcast companies but from British ESPN, we went into the game sitting joint top of the league with AC Milan, both on 28 points, three points ahead of Inter, Napoli and Udinese. Having won eight, drawn four and lost just once, I was still confident we were in the title race for the long haul.

I had to admit that going into the first Rome derby of the season that I was nervous, for the first time this season. Lazio were sitting in ninth but more than capable of putting up a good fight, but despite the nerves I was still confident in my team’s ability to get result.
AC Milan’s 3-1 lose away at Genoa, meant we knew going into the game that a point would see us go top, and a win would put a small amount of space between us and Milan going into our trip to their place the following Sunday. Knowing that seemed to relax the boys, but maybe that was a bad thing as at half time we still locked at 0-0 with our Rome rivals and had only created two real chances, with Gibson and Mexes both going close from corners.

At half time I had change things, to try and spark us into life. I took off Baptista and bought on Vucinic. But it still didn’t work, so in the sixtieth minute I bought on Benjani for Totti and Pizzarro on for De Rossi.

And it seemed to bring both teams to life. Lazio first struck our post, the ball fell to Motta, who carried the ball down the right and crossed, Benjani’s headed was saved by Muslera, who instantly kicked the ball towards our half, it was flicked on by Dabo. The header split our defence and Diakite was clean through. I could only watch from our technical area as the ball flew past Doni, but struck the other post and rebounded back out. I was still stood on the edge of the dugout ten minutes later as Van Der Varrt strode forward through the ever inceasing heavy rain, he exchanged passes with Benjani, who turned on a Euro and struck the ball. It swerved just past the post.

We took the game to Lazio for the next five minutes, Benjani, Van Der Varrt and Riise all going close before finally, we broke through with a brilliant team goal, ten first time passes was rounded off by Darren Gibson tapping the ball into the empty Lazio net to give us the lead in not only the game but the league. Maybe I was getting too far ahead of myself, we still had twenty odd minutes to survive and Lazio surely wouldn’t make it easy for us? But the boys all seems invigorated by the young Irish man’s goal and we created a couple more chances whilst restricting Lazio to long shots. The closest of the chances came through Riise who’s free-kick flicked the top of the wall and looped over Muslera but hit the top of the bar and went out.

The ref blew the full time whistle, and I was instantly on the pitch celebrating with my team. I had my arm around Gibson as we walked off the pitch, a gaggle of reporters met us in the tunnel.

“How does it feel to be top of the league?”
“Is this your best win yet as Roma manager?”
“Darren, do you want to stay here if the opportunity after your loan deal finishes?”​

Darren was the only one who answered any questions, stating he would consider if we were in a position to offer him a permanent deal. He was enjoying playing in Italy and under me.

The game had been finished for around an hour and after a couple of phone calls and texts including one from Alice, explaining she had been in the stands today but gone home when the rain had gotten heavier than expected, I walked down the corridor and into the lobby, where for the past couple of weeks I had been stopping to chat to Sarah and go over a few of the basic of Italian. But she wasn’t there. I asked after her, but neither the other receptionists knew where she was. I headed towards the door and suddenly remembered that Alice had taken our car. The rain was literally bouncing off the ground. I grabbed my phone and rang our flat, but there was no answer. I assumed Alice was asleep, but still tried her mobile, still no answer. I tried the club’s taxi firm, but no they were too busy with fans for little old me, after a further ten minutes I bite the bullet and started walking.

It was only a short distance but halfway there I was soaked through. Nobody had stopped, probably nobody realised who I was. But there I was walking home through the Rome streets in the rain when a blue Polo pulled up alongside me.

........ Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone, I'll be waiting all there's left to do is run, You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess, It's a love story baby just say yes.....................​

The window dropped down as Taylor Swift’s- Love Story became ever more clearer from the stereo. Sat in the drivers seat was Sarah. She laughed at me as I leant into the window.

“Any chance of lift”​
I smiled back.​

I got into the car drenched and slightly mocking her for her choice in music as we drove toward the warmth and dryness of my flat. We pulled up and chatted for a couple minutes, before I told her I really should be going. But not before she explained to me that she wasn’t on reception was because she had been moved up to a P.A position in the Chairman’s office, which was great for her but also it meant she wouldn’t be leaving us in a few months. I was happy about it as it meant in a world of football and Italian speakers I would have a friend, somebody to blow off steam with, somebody to go to when I needed it.

Before I left Sarah in her car, we hugged for the first time, as I pulled away our checks brushed. Suddenly we found ourselves looking straight into each others eyes. It was only for a short time but it became very awkward very quickly, and I was slightly relieved when out of the corner of my eye I caught the rear brake lights of a car pulling out of the private car park to our block of flats. I recognised the car but couldn’t place it, but more importantly it had broken the long lingering look between Me and Sarah.

As she pulled away, she turned Taylor Swift back up loud, I couldn’t help but chuckle to myself as she drove off into the night, leaving me looking like a drowned rat. I walked past our car in the garage and in to the lobby of our flat. I quietly walked in, expecting to find Alice asleep, but she wasn’t. She was in the kitchen making coffee. I asked her why she hadn’t answered her phone earlier; she claimed to have gone to the local supermarket and forgot to take her phone. I had no other choice but to believe her, and headed to the shower.

I walked back out of the bathroom, hoping to talk to Alice some more, but the lights were off, the windows firmly shut and Alice was asleep. So I climbed into bed. But I couldn’t sleep, instead I laid there and all I could do was reflect on the day’s events. A huge smile broke out on my face as I realised that I, we, Roma were top of the league. Three points clear and our next game, which could see us six points clear, if we could overcome Milan. I looked out of our bedroom window, on the horizon the lights from the Olimpico were still glowing, all be it only from the reception area. And I realised life in Rome seemed to be getting better and better by the day, the idea of wanting to go back to England and manage was a distant thought at that moment in time. I was quite possibly the happiest man in Italy, but at the same time there were doubts, how long could these good times continue?

Chapter 16
Saturday 27th November 2010
AC Milan Vs. Roma

We had, had the week off and the team felt invigorated by it. We had no injuries or suspensions going into what could be one of the biggest games of the season. Away at title rivals AC Milan. A win would have seen us go six points clear of them as we headed towards the half way mark of the Serie A season. At that moment of time as we pulled into the San Siro, we were in such company as Man City, Lyon, Bayern, Rangers and Barcelona, all of our teams topped our respective countries top divisions.

We arrived around an hour before kick off from our hotel in Milan after travelling down the day before. I had given the team the rest of the day off after we had arrived around midday, and the team seemed to be in high spirits because of it. Many of them choose to play golf, some stayed in the hotel. I on the other hand spent the day with Alice doing a photo shoot at some museum in Milan. It was nice to spend the majority of the day with Alice for the first time since we had arrived in Italy six months ago. The Photo shoot, for FHM would be in the January issue of the English version of the magazine. A profile of English sportsmen working abroad, and FHM being FHM could resist to get a gorgeous girl into their magazine. With the photos done and the short interview out of the way me and Alice had gone to dinner before going back to the hotel for an early night, only to awoken by Alice’s phone and the none stop text messages. Did I trust her? Of course I did and didn’t even ask who it was on the other end.

But after some light training in the hotel gym in the morning, we were on our way to the San Siro for the game. I walked out of the tunnel as my team warmed up and was met by the wall of noise that only can be produced by the AC fans. The atmosphere was electric and would remain that way through out the game.

The game kicked off as I was leaving the tunnel and finding my seat in the dugout, and almost instantly we went behind, as Huntelaar grazed the post in the first minute. It didn’t take the Dutchman long to adding only his fourth league of the season after just four minutes, after a mistake by Mexes. 1-0 down and the game hadn’t even begun. AC took control of the game, and with the crowd right behind them, after eighteen minutes Barnetta struck and made it 2-0. I could see the players heads dropping already, and whilst part of me remembered my final game in charge of Fulham, being 2-0 down after ten minutes and losing 5-0, the other part of me stormed to the edge of the technical area and shouted to every player that we could still get a result. But AC were dominant and two minutes later a ball from Pirlo, split our midfield and defence wide open and allowed Pato in for the third 3-0. For the next ten minutes it seemed AC were going to score every time they got the ball, until a peice of magic from Totti, chipping the play through for De Rossi who inturn struck the post. But we couldn’t build on it and at half time, we were losing 3-0.

I told my team that they really could get a result out of this, they weren’t just letting me down, they were letting the themselves, the club and more importantly the Roma fans who had travelled here to see them. The ref signalled for the second half, but not before Benjani came over and complained he felt isolated up front on his own, so I pushed Totti up alongside him and told De rossi to get forward as much as possible.

But once again it took AC just four minutes to score, this time through Pato from a brilliant bit of skill by Gattuso. We were being ripped to shreds by a brilliant AC Milan team, and in the fifthy sixth minute Pato completed his hat-trick. I bought on Gibson and Baptista to try and stop us being over run and out muscled in midfield, and Gibson’s first act was to play a beautiful ball through to Gudjohnsen who I had also bought on for Benjani, who quite frankly was out of his depth, but Gudjohnsen could score with his first touch. The changes started to work as Mexes and Baptista went close, but we were still 5-0 down. I looked across at the AC dugout from the touchline, just as Ronaldinho stripped off his tracksuit and readied himself to come on. He replaced Pirlo, who had been magnificent in the center of midfield. Ronaldinho’s first touch sent Pato through on goal again and he slotted home making it 6-0. I was so angry at my team performance I threw a water bottle at the bench, it ricocheted off the roof of the dugout and nearly hit AC manager Marco Van Basten. I don’t think he knew it was me who threw it, if he did he didn’t say anything. The game finished 6-0.

I didn’t wait for my team to walk off the pitch, I just shook hands with Marco Van Basten and few members of his backroom staff and walked down the tunnel, past the waiting press. And straight into our changing room. I walked in and the first thing I saw was a bin by the door, a bin tat after I had kicked it nearly folded in half. As I kicked it I suddenly felt a huge pain in my knee where i over stretched it. As the bin came to rest the team slowly filtered in. Totti was the first to speak to me, only to apologies. I couldn’t even look at Riise, Mexes and Burdisso all three had made mistakes that lead to goals. With the team in the changing room I asked my backroom staff to leave me alone with them including the translators. I told what happened ext was heard by the press, officials and pretty much anybody who was still in the tunnel. I let rip, in English at the team, whilst some wouldn’t understanf what I was saying I think they got the point as threw swear word after swear word at them. The final part of my tirade I spoke in Italian.

“Cazzo eri Inutile! Si Lascia che tutti giu, orgnuno di voi!”
“You were f**cking useless! You let everybody down, every single one of you!”

With that I stormed out, said a few words to the press, not slagging my team off, but praising just how good AC were, I praised Marco Van Basten before I went back to the changing room. The day was just getting worse as I entered. I was greeted by one of our physios Giorgio Rossi who nervously told me that Totti had picked up a knock. I didn’t seem to care as I just looked over at Francesco. Who starred back at me, I’m not sure if he was standing his ground after my outburst or he was just worried I was going to start again, but he just starred. I went into the small office, told my assistant Brian Borrows only to knock on that door if the place was on fire or the team were ready to leave.

I sat in that office alone, for about forty minutes before finally the knock came on the door. Borrows put his head through the door, and told me they were ready to go. The forty minutes had allowed me time to calm down slightly. So I stood up and walked out into the changing room, seeing my players all standing waiting for me. I opened the door, and the tunnel was desserted apart from one person. Marco Van Basten. He stood there waiting for me. He offered a hand out to me, I shook his hand before finally we parted to the coach. There was press allowed in the parking lot so we boarded the bus and headed out into the Milan night. I was sat at the front of the buss on a table for four people, but with only me on my own. The coach was silent as we winded through the streets and out of Milan back toward Rome.

For the second time that season, the journey back from Rome was lonely and long. Eventually the players started a murmuring of chat. I didn’t mind that, I had said my bit and on Monday at training we would be back to normal and start preparing for Slavia Prague on Thursday. I wouldn’t know until the following day, where we stood in the league after the Ac Milan game as we played a day in advance of everyone else, but what i did know is that we would at the very least be second behind Milan on goal difference.

We finally arrived back in Rome, the players drove off into the night without saying anything meaningful to me, well almost all of them. Darren Gibson waited for the rest to leave before speaking. He apologised for the performance of just himself but the entire team. He agreed with every word I had said back in Milan’s away changing room. And he wanted to help in anyway he could. All I could say to him at that point was that I wanted him to lead our changing room alongside Totti. Be my eyes and ears as you would. With Darren gone, I went to my office, where I found a present from Sarah, a tall bottle of vodka.

“hopefully this may help, love Sarah x”​

I looked at the tall clear bottle, but didn’t open it instead putting it on the shelf alongside the bottle of whiskey Danny Murphy had sent me and sat down. Whilst the journey back from Milan had been lonely with only my trusty iPod for company, it had allowed me to do some thinking. And pretty much all the way home I thought about one thing. It wasn’t the six goals we’d conceded, it wasn’t the performance that the team had put in, it was what Benjani had said to me at half time.

“he felt isolated up front on his own”​

I thought of ways to allow him more support, but ultimately my mind kept coming back to one conclusion, we needed an extra forward. Whilst I couldn’t do anything about it right then, I would start making call tomorrow about bringing in some fresh faces and hopefully with the transfer market looming, I could get hold of someone I thought I would be the ideal man for the job. I looked at the clock, midnight local time. With Alice still in Milan and there for the next couple of nights I went home to an empty flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.