The Life and career of a Football manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its quite a popular idea to cover the World Cup on FM, but do you mean you'd be writing a story based on real events at the World Cup?

Either way, make sure you come back to this story mate - you've influenced mine to the extent that you might have to file a copyright lawsuit against me! (A)

Its quite a popular idea to cover the World Cup on FM, but do you mean you'd be writing a story based on real events at the World Cup?

Either way, make sure you come back to this story mate - you've influenced mine to the extent that you might have to file a copyright lawsuit against me! (A)

I meant, write it following real events, as a fringe player or a journo following the England team......maybe even a fan? but I think I'm gonna give up on it, would get too complicated i think.

Lawsuit is filed mate lol. I think I'll carry this on rather than a world cup one.

Good plan short man, really enjoying this story.

If you get any time, feel free to check mine out - you'll notice I nicked the style off you, but I've tried to make it different enough so it isn't a copycat story. I'm only in the third month at Newcastle, but writing descriptively as opposed to just delivering results gives it an extra element which keeps it interesting I reckon <)

So yeah, keep running with this one!

Good plan short man, really enjoying this story.

If you get any time, feel free to check mine out - you'll notice I nicked the style off you, but I've tried to make it different enough so it isn't a copycat story. I'm only in the third month at Newcastle, but writing descriptively as opposed to just delivering results gives it an extra element which keeps it interesting I reckon <)

So yeah, keep running with this one!

I'm fully committed to this story, wont be starting any others.

Got it all planned out. Liverpool's 2011/2012 season, The relationship between Steven and Sarah, Fatherhood, a third funeral and a wedding! Plus the ups and downs of being the boss at Anfield!

Nice updates, the last update I had read was post #122 as I have been on holiday all week. I just read all of the updates now.
Good luck with Liverpool, I was thinking about being Liverpool earlier and I just read this and saw you just got with them lol.

Nice updates, the last update I had read was post #122 as I have been on holiday all week. I just read all of the updates now.
Good luck with Liverpool, I was thinking about being Liverpool earlier and I just read this and saw you just got with them lol.

I seriously hope being at Liverpool is easier than being at Roma.........seriously anybody can beat anybody in the Italian league it would appear!!

great update,was looking forward to your return, now your at liverpool too :wub:

can't wait for the next one :)

What a brilliant story mate but please dont win the league with the scousers lol. Im a Man United fan by the way xD. I think u should have stayed with Roma

Right people, the idea of taking a break from this has completely gone from my mind. As long as people are still Reading I'll carry on writing. I sat and planned out the seasons updates last night, will write the next update tonight and get it on here.

Oh and chriswin4 I kinda wish I'd of stayed at Roma, but writing this as an English based story is easier coz I know where things are, about the league etc. I did try and split the game so I had a Liverpool version and carried on playing with Roma to see what would of happened, but I forgot to save the Roma version.

Roma replaced me with totti as their manager btw! Which is weird coz he had only just retired! I'll keep an eye an see how he does!

As long as people are still Reading I'll carry on writing
Im definitely still reading on, as I subscribed to this thread ages ago, and everytime I see have have an e-mail I check up on the story to see if it has been updated. :D
And i'm sure many others are also reading every update you do! ;)

Chapter 2
Sunday 21st August 2011
Liverpool vs Chelsea

Only a week had passed since we got off to a decent start to the season. Since we had beaten Sunderland we had gone to Upton Park and beaten West Ham 2-0 (Babel (25), Agger (36)) but the score line didn’t reflect how well we had played, having fifteen shots on target. Away from the pitch, I had been busy in the transfer market as well. I had sold Milan Jovanovic to Leverkusen (£4m) Jadson to Valencia (£4m) and Mikel Martinez to Juventus (£2.4m) meaning I was still in a position to bring in some more players to boost my team, and boost the team I had with the signing of young left winger, Adam Johnson from Manchester City (£7m), Johnson had become unhappy with life at Eastland’s having only played twice the previous season. Unfortunately I had failed to bring in two players I had worked with before, Brede Hangeland had decided that staying with Napoli was better for his career and Rodrigo Taddei, who I had grown to love in Rome, had refused to leave Italy.

Despite the let downs in the transfer market I was confident the squad I had was more than capable of fulfilling my goals for the season, and more than capable of re-breaking into the top four and beating anyone in the league.

After I had delivered my team talk, the teams lined up in the tunnel and I made my way out to pitch side. The atmosphere was electric inside Anfield as they sang “You’ll never walk alone” before kick off, and they continued to be through the game. It took us just three minutes to create our first chance, Torres brushing off Terry and squaring the ball to Lopez, who put the ball just past the post. Three minutes later and Adam Johnson showed why I had so much faith in him, gliding down the left wing, past Essien, Lampard and Bosingwa delivering a perfect cross which was met by Torres’ head, Unfortunately Fernando missed the target, the ball going over and into the Anfield Road end. Drogba had a chance, with a powerful shot straight at Reina, before we finally git our break though, Adam Johnson ‘s cross flicked on at the near post by Torres, and Lopez headed into the net for his first goal in Liverpool colours. The crowd went wild as we took the lead over the team that won the league last season. We grew in confidence and took the game to Chelsea, hitting the bar two minutes later through Kuyt and Torres’ shot being saved smartly by Cech. Ten minutes before half time, Aquilani picked the ball up in the center of the field and sprinted forward with, he was around twenty yards from goal when he struck the ball perfectly, it flew past Cech, and the crowd once again erupted as we went 2-0 up. Lampard shold have pulled a goal back for Chelsea when his shot flicked the outside of the post but at half time we were 2-0 up!

Chelsea came out fighting in the second half, Drogba and Joe Cole combinding well, only for the Englishman shot to go wide. Reina’s goal kick was met by Kuyt’s flick on header which set Torres on his way, he went past Terry like he wasn’t there, but he could get the ball past Cech. On the hour mark, due to his lack of football last season Johnson was tiring so I bought on Danny Rose, the fresh legs worked instantly, rose flying past Bosingwa, only to be met by a flying tackle from Terry, Rose crashed into the ground, the crowd jumped to their feet appealing, my team all wanted a penalty, and so did I as I ran to ran to the edge of my technical area my hands in the air. The crowd when silent as the ref blew his whistle and pointed at the spot. Penalty! With my captain and usual penalty taker, Steven Gerrard suspended, it was Glenn Johnson who stepped up confidently in front of the Kop. I crouched down on the edge of my area; Johnson ran up and calmly sent Cech the wrong way. I jumped up in celebration, we had just taken a 3-0 lead over the champions. Chelsea seemed to have new life breathed into them, and started to control the game, Joe Cole, Drogba and Terry all going close. But with ten minutes to go we still led 3-0, it should have been 4-0 as Kuyt’s header hit the underside of the bar and looked like it had crossed the line, but the referee’s assistant ruled it hadn’t. But a 3-0 win over the Champions suited me, the team and the crowd.

I ran out onto the pitch and celebrated with Vice Captain Jamie Carragher and Alberto Aquilani. It may have only been our third game of the season, but it was a game that would make pundits and other teams look up and take notice of my Liverpool team. We had just beaten the 2010/2011 league champions, and were top of the league, three points ahead of our bitter rivals Manchester United. Life in England was well and truly great, I still had no regrets about leaving Roma, taking the Liverpool job was the best decision of my career.

Glad the Liverpoool career is going well! Good that you beat Chelsea though, what an easy game lol! And im just happy that your beating Man utd. ;)

I'll offer my congratulations again, this is fantastic. Keep it up and I'll continue to read as long as it lasts :)

Chapter 3
Saturday 10th September 2011
Liverpool Vs. Manchester City

I woke that morning to what had become the very familiar sound of the toilet flushing, more to the point of Sarah flushing the toilet after the first bout of her morning sickness that day. She walked back through to our bedroom, still looking gorgeous despite what I had just woken up to. She climbed back into bed next to me and put my arm around her, my hand on her belly and on our unborn child.

It had been three weeks since we had made the rest of the league look up and take notice, since then, due to an international break, which saw England guarantee a playoff place for the Euro 2012 competition with a 1-0 win over Bulgaria (Rooney (26)) and a 2-0 win over Wales in Cardiff (Gerrard (57), Carrick (66)). We had gotten through to the third round of the Carling Cup where we would face Tottenham Hotspur, after beating Walsall 3-0 (Torres (1 & 53), Babel (59)), and I Personally had won the Manager of the month after our three wins over Sunderland, West Ham and Chelsea. And going into the game against one of richest clubs in the world, we hadn’t conceded a goal and were sitting top of the league. The only downside to the past three weeks was that Adam Johnson had picked up an injury in the Carling Cup game against Walsall, meaning I would be without my £7 million winger for five to six weeks. But despite the injury I was confident that Ryan Babel and Danny Rose were more than capable of filling in.

Big games come thick and fast in the Premier League, and whilst in Italy anybody can beat anybody, in England the fans of every club expect you to beat everybody you face and the pressure was already building on me as I arrived at Anfield, the fans expecting us to beat Manchester City of the back of our win against Chelsea, and if I was honest I would have to say I was quietly confident we could, especially as we welcomed back Steven Gerrard after his suspension and I had also added another player in the form of Gai Assulin (£4.5m) from Seville.

The game started well, we took control and created chances, Torres and Gerrard combinding well only for Given to save smartly from Torres’ header. Babel and Kuyt both went close with long shot before we finally got our break through. Gerrard broke free from Barry in the center of the park, played the ball into Torres who turned, looked up and tried to play Gerrard in, but the ball richoted off Toure, and fell to Ngog. David coolly took his chance and slotted home past Given, the crowd erupted as I jumped from my seat in celebration. Man City kicked off and went on the attack almost instantly, Tevez’s shot just going wide, and Stephen Ireland forcing a great save from Reina. From the corner, Carragher headed clear and we broke on the counter attack, Gerrard bringing the ball forward, he played it out wide to Kuyt, who chipped the ball over Toure’s head for Torres, but the ball skipped on and Torres was out wide when he pulled the ball back, to Gerrard who hit the ball first time. Given didnt stand a chance as the ball flew past the Irishman to make it 2-0. It remained that way until half time, City having chances through Tevez and Barry, us through Carragher’s header from a corner in the final minutes of the first half.

The second half kicked off, us attacking our favoured end, The Kop. And it didn’t take long for us to create our first chance, Gerrard’s shot saved by Given and the follow up cleared off the line by Toure. Barry hit the post in the fiftieth minute, Toure’s header was cleared off the line by Bale in the sixtieth, before I bought on Lopez for the tiring Ngog. Just three minutes later I was forced to make another change as Stephen Ireland crashed into Babel, the Dutchman dropping to the turf in pain instantly. As Babel was stretchered off, I replaced him with Danny Rose. Man City and more to the point Adebayor took advantage of our slightly unbalanced team, and on seventy minutes Adebayor broke down our left, past Rose and Bale, the later he cut inside of and was one on one with Reina. The Spanish man got a hand to Adebayor’s shot but was unable to stop it and the Man City made it 2-1 with twenty minutes to go. Man City once again went close through Tevez, Reina tipping the ball on to the post and wide in the eightieth minute, before Kuyts’s shot was saved by Given and Agger’s header flashed just wide from a corner.

The crowd were praying for the final whistle as Man City heaped on the pressure, Barry’s free kick flicking the top of the wall and just going over and Tevez crafting out a chance for himself which Reina saved. With three minutes of injury time, we broke on the counter again, Gerrard trying to pass the ball to Torres, lead to a corner, which Gerrard wiped into the box. Agger flicked the ball on at the near post, Lopez met it with a powerful header only for the ball to cannon off the underside of the bar, from where I was I couldn’t see if had crossed the line, but the Kop, the player and even some Man City players thought it had. But the ref didnt give it, and Man City broke, Tevez gliding past Bale and through on Goal, Reina stood tall but Tevez flicked the ball past him. It looked destine to go in, the ground was silent as the ball got closer and closer, I thought it was in as Glenn Johnson came from no where and saved it on the line. A cheer of relief more than anything rung around Anfield as I took a huge breathe out and looked over at Roberto Mancini, He looked at me and the two of us just had to smile at each other, me in relief, him in, well I don’t know what. Finally the crowd erupted as You’ll never walk alone rang out the ref blew his whistle and called to close the game, and our 2-1 victory over Man City!

I walked over to Roberto, a look of pure relief on my face as we shook hands, he leaned over and said something to me, but to this day I had no idea what due to the loudness of the crowd, but to be honest I didnt really care, I wanted to go and find my captain Steven Gerrard, I eventually found him as he walked toward the famous Anfield steps. He looked over at me and put his arm around me

“Get in there!!!”​

I left Anfield that night quite possibly the happiest man in England, we were now two points clear of our local rivals Everton, and Chelsea, three ahead of Arsenal and Man City. Whilst we were only four games in, we had already beaten two of the top four and maybe just maybe we could actually push on and challenge for the league. But it was early day and there was a long, long way to go yet. But maybe, just maybe I could finally be the manager who could end all those years of hurt that Anfield had suffered.

I walked into our apartment and was met by a huge kiss from Sarah, the best part of having a beautiful football loving, pregnant girlfriend, is that she doesn’t want to go out on a Saturday night, instead she’s quite happy to stay in and watch Match of the day, so that’s what we done, with a Chinese on our laps, we sat and watched as our highlights came on first, Arsenal’s 3-0 win over Middlesbourgh, Chelsea’s 2-0 win at Newcastle and a thrilling 2-2 draw was player out at Bristol City as they hosted West Ham before I realised Sarah had fallen asleep. As I went to wake her up, my phone rang and did the job for me. It was Chris Morgan.

“Yeah Hi..............................Really is it bad........................how long will he be out for...................Really?............and with Adam out as well..................yeah ok................Yeah thanks for ringing me................ok mate............yeah I’ll be in first thing to see him”​

I hung up the phone and sat down next to Sarah, before she could ask me who it was, I told her it was Chris with new on Ryan Babel. He had broken his foot and would be out for five months. And with Adam Johnson out for the next five weeks at least It left me short on the left hand side. But I was also confident in Danny Rose’s and Gai Assulin’s ability to cover for them, I was confident that our squad was more than capable of dealing with the injuries in any positions. If anything injuries would bring the team together, make us stronger and more determined to go out and win every game, to win the league and cup. To win everything we possibly could!

Very close against City there, I thought that last attack from them was going in! lol

Last edited:
Yeah sorry, been away for the weekend, so 3 days without being sober or near my laptop means no update, but there is one on the way at somepoint tomorrow!

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:33 AM ----------

Sorry for the delay...........social life kinda got in the way over the weekend. so next update.......................

Chapter 4
Saturday 15th August
Everton vs. Fulham

I woke up in the St Thomas Hotel in Liverpool, a bag of nerves. Whilst I had been in charge of Fulham for almost three months, three months in which we had beaten Gillingham, Leeds and Norwich in pre-season friendlies and advanced in the Europa League Qualifying, I still didn’t feel I had, had my first real game in charge as the official Fulham manager. But as I sat their on the edge of my bed, trying to wake myself up, I knew it was just a matter of hours before that feeling was gone, the nerves on the other hand were something that would more then likely be around for a while.

And the nerves were intensified as me and the team wound our way through Liverpool and to Goodison park, for our first game of the season. Despite Roy Hodgson finishing 7th and qualifying for the Europa League, my team had been made one of the favourites for relegation. A statement I was determined to prove wrong. As we pulled into the Everton ground, the Scouse fans surrounding the bus, my phone buzzed in my pocket. A message from Frances, a girl I had grown up with back in Norfolk.

“Thank you for last couple of weeks, meant a lot. Was great to have a proper catch up. Good luck today xx”​

Whilst back in Norfolk, before officially getting the Fulham job, I had bumped in Frances in the Black Boys Hotel after not seeing her since we had left college. But it was like we hadn’t been separated by the real world and life after education and our friendship picked up where it had left off. After spending the best part of the two weeks I was back in Norfolk together, Frances revealed she had to move down to London for a two weeks for work. I wouldn’t have it any other way, so Frances moved into my flat for a fortnight. It hadn’t been awkward; I was away for parts with Fulham. And our friendship really blossomed, and truth be known I was gutted she was going back home to Norfolk, whilst Danny had been a great friend to me after the crash and the addiction, It was refreshing to have somebody back in my life I thought I would probably never see again when I left Paston College.

My team went out on the Goodison turf, the travelling fans behind them, me right behind them but the pundits all tipping us to go down. But my team was full of fight and they put a performance in the opening day of the 2009/2010 season that stated to everybody we were up for this fight.

After just twelve minutes Danny Murphy’s cross was met by the diving header of Okaka, the ball flying past Tim Howard to silence the Everton fans, and some of the critics. My first league game in charge, and we led after twelve minutes. It took us four minutes to extend our lead, Andy Johnson picking the ball up on the half way line against his old club, he knocked it past two defender and showed glimpses of the form that had won him his England caps, as he rounded Howard to make it 2-0.

At half time I told my team to keep it up, we were dominating the game, Everton had only managed two shots on target and both were from range. But just one minute into the second half, A mistake by Simon Davis led to an Everton corner, which Tim Cahill riffled against the bar, the rebound fell straight to James Vaughan who tapped the ball into the net. 2-1 and suddenly as Everton seemed to spark into life, I was filled full of self doubt and nerves once again. Everton hit the bar again through Cahill, and the post through Tony Hibbert (of all people!), we just couldn’t get the ball back, and Everton turned our domination in the first half against us as the pressed for an equaliser. Cahill once again met a corner with a powerful header, but it was saved by Mark Schwarzer. He quickly threw the ball out to Damien Duff, and The Irish wizard quickly broke, he went past one defender then another, he was one on one with Howard. But unselfishly he cut the ball back to Gera, who hammered the ball into the net. I jumped out of the dug out in celebration as a bundle of white shirts ensued on the pitch. We had won the game 3-1 played with confidence and proved that when we needed to we could defend against top players.

After my first league game in charge as the official Fulham manager, relegation was far from my mind, if we could play like that for the rest of the season we could push for a European place! Or so I thought.................

Status
Not open for further replies.