The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Jordan Amavi being strongly linked for that LB role... Was quite impressive for Villa before his bad injury and not seen anything of him since so hard to judge.

I think it's interesting that for a much as the squad is real young and we've lost more experience with the likes of Kolo and Skrtel departing, we've also gained a heck of a lot in the incomings. Manninger, 39 years old entering his 21st season as a pro who's been at big clubs in England and Italy. Grujic, who far from experienced in years, has captained Red Star to a league title at 19. Wijnaldum. Captained PSV to a league title at 23. Klavan, vast experience through 15 season and 108 International caps. The current captain of Estonia. Matip, 7 year Bundesliga regular.

Whether by design or not, we sure have added some great character, leadership and experience into the dressing room.

*Edit* Rodgers would be SO proud of the bolded haha.

Last edited:
Anyone know if klopp is a smoker given that his upgrade had to be to a smoking room? Would be surprised a but as he was a professional athlete

Lots of footballers smoke. Een some of the current LFC players smoke. If you read the document it says the players are to have non smoking rooms unless specified​ or words to that effect.

Sky Sports News HQ– Verified account ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ

yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAANAAwAAAILjI+py+0Po5y0ngIAOw==

BREAKING: Sky sources: Liverpool sign Georginio Wijnaldum from Newcastle on five-year deal [url]http://skysports.tv/UdFB7Z [/URL]

10:15 am - 22 Jul 2016
1,912 RETWEETS1,203 LIKES.

£23 M. down plus £1 M. appearance related and £1 M. in targets. Excellent deal for Wijnaldum. Made up with the swiftness of this addition.

So I make that 6 players in this window for £65.9 M. Currently running at a net deficit of £-38.4 M. this window. Which will be off-set by Allen and Benteke's departures alone.

Keep up the boss work Jurgen lad!

What a very classy exit. Way to leave a club the right way la and welcome to your new one.

gwijnaldum Verified 2 hours ago

Follow
13741464_308056982864531_840053664_n.jpg

With all my heart I want to thank every Newcastle fan for the support love and respect you showed me whilst at your great Club. I can understand some of you will be upset with me for leaving. I promise you though I did give my all for you. It does not sit well with me that we were relegated and I say sorry again for that. What I do know is that in Rafa Benitez the Club has a World Class Manager who I am confident will return you to The Premier League. I must also say a very big big thank you to the Board of the Club, they gave me my chance in The Premier League. The process of leaving a club who didn't need to sell me can be difficult, however the Club have been very understanding in allowing me to join Liverpool. Playing for your Club Newcastle has made me a stronger person and has educated me as a footballer. I take with me special memories of you the fans, the Club and the City. My family and I thank you for making us so welcome and we wish nothing but love and success for you. Georginio. #Newcastle United Championship Champions !
11.3k likes690 comments

Last edited:
I never realised in all the talk of Wijnaldum's 11 goals all coming at home last season, Newcastle only scored TWELVE team goals away all season long.

Perspective.

Sakho at Alcatraz. Funny:

[video=youtube;baDGoOXhIoo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baDGoOXhIoo[/video]

Lol at Sakho and Randall ..... 'Scouse, what do you think?' ..... Shrugs his shoulders, laid back not arsed 'Interesting lad. Interesting' ..... 'You scarred?' ..... 'Scary lad yeah. Scary. You scared yeah?' .....

God, it's like having a conversation with yerself. XD. You can take the boy out of Liverpool ......

Jordan Amavi being strongly linked for that LB role... Was quite impressive for Villa before his bad injury and not seen anything of him since so hard to judge.

Said this a lot over the last few years to friends, but as much as I crave Hector, I've never understood how Aaron Cresswell never get's linked to us? Started out at ours. Scouser. Mad red. Seem's the most obvious LB of all to link but nobody ever does bizarrely.

Personally think he and Shaw are the best two English LB's and they'd be the two I'd be building with toward the next WC where I in Allardyce' ..... (sorry, I need to pause to LOL. Can't put that complete buffoon and the England National team manager in the same sentence without doing that)..... <that's better> position. The only downsize (no pun intended) with Aaron is his lack of height but in every other facet he's everything you need for a FB in the modern game. And like the German he's coming into his prime at 26.

If we are to make a move for one, Hector or Cresswell would be my pick. ****, I'd even work in Benteke for a lesser fee to West Ham for him.

Last edited:
Said this a lot over the last few years to friends, but as much as I crave Hector, I've never understood how Aaron Cresswell never get's linked to us? Started out at ours. Scouser. Mad red. Seem's the most obvious LB of all to link but nobody ever does bizarrely.

Personally think he and Shaw are the best two English LB's and they'd be the two I'd be building with toward the next WC where I in Allardyce' ..... (sorry, I need to pause to LOL. Can't put that complete buffoon and the England National team manager in the same sentence without doing that)..... <that's better> position. The only downsize (no pun intended) with Aaron is his lack of height but every other way he's everything you need for a FB in the modern game. And like the german he's coming into his prime at 26.

If we are to make a move for one, Hector or Cresswell would be my pick. ****, I'd even work in Benteke for a lesser fee to West Ham for him.

Yeah I thought Cresswell along with Payet was standout players last year for the hammers, tbf way Hammers are right now think your best chance would be to use Benteke as a carrot for him. Would be a solid signing and like you say a scouser you can never have too many of your own in the team. I always get giddy as **** when we get another leeds lad come through the ranks no feeling quite like it.

Personally think he and Shaw are the best two English LB's and they'd be the two I'd be building with toward the next WC where I in Allardyce' ..... (sorry, I need to pause to LOL. Can't put that complete buffoon and the England National team manager in the same sentence without doing that)..... <that's better> position. The only downsize (no pun intended) with Aaron is his lack of height but in every other facet he's everything you need for a FB in the modern game. And like the German he's coming into his prime at 26.

Completely agree.

Really like Cresswell and thought he was one of the unluckiest players not to make the Euros.

Him or Hector and I'd be over the moon but i really doubt they'll be coming

..... Would be a solid signing and like you say a scouser you can never have too many of your own in the team. I always get giddy as **** when we get another leeds lad come through the ranks no feeling quite like it.

A-freeking-men! Speaking personally, it often get's asked of us from other fans why it's so important to have a Scouse identity at the club. They just don't get it in today's Global football game. And I don't think, ala yourself with Leeds. you can really appreciate that unless you're from the City that club is in. It's that connection. Knowing they know exactly what the club means to the community it serves and what's expected. The extra pride in one of your own representing that shared passion. That will often go that little bit further than most any other player in the team for the cause. And all things in between.

Local lads in the team is the ultimate. Obviously they have to earn that right by their commitment and ability and not because of where they're born. But when they do there's 'no feeling quite like it' indeed.

Completely agree.

Really like Cresswell and thought he was one of the unluckiest players not to make the Euros.

Him or Hector and I'd be over the moon but i really doubt they'll be coming

Yeah, getting that same feeling that Albi Moreno will be made do with for another season.

Hopefully he manages to get through to him this pre-season. But at least we're a heck of a lot more solid across the rest of the back line and in nets to minimise his boneheadedness. Interesting to me that Lovren has switched to the left side again pre-season with Matip on the right who's bizarrely apparently stronger on his left. That's a nagging concern as Lovren looked a heck of a lot stronger on the right hand side with the solid Clyne alongside him rather than getting dragged across to cover for Moreno's F-ups and looking **** in the process!

A-freeking-men! Speaking personally, it often get's asked of us from other fans why it's so important to have a Scouse identity at the club. They just don't get it in today's Global football game. And I don't think, ala yourself with Leeds. you can really appreciate that unless you're from the City that club is in. It's that connection. Knowing they know exactly what the club means to the community it serves and what's expected. The extra pride in one of your own representing that shared passion. That will often go that little bit further than most any other player in the team for the cause. And all things in between.

Local lads in the team is the ultimate. Obviously they have to earn that right by their commitment and ability and not because of where they're born. But when they do there's 'no feeling quite like it' indeed.

Yeah thats why I took the cook transfer so hard someone I have seen come through the ranks, but we have a couple of more who came through the ranks just not of Cooks ability, although tbf Lewie Coyle has good potential imo.

But yeah I try and catch as many youth games as possible so I always have an idea who is coming through. I was always the guy years back when you would get a young lad coming through and no one had an idea who he was when he would be put on the team sheet. I would be the one the full row would be asking haha

but yeah all I love winning but now I'll be honest I get more joy out of someone playing the kids and watching them flourish, I'm a Bournemouth fan this season Eddie best be giving cooky good minutes!

Some fantastic one-on-one interviews coming out of California today from Pearce. From Manninger on Karius, Klopp and signing, through the manager himself and his views on pretty much everything going into the new season. For anyone interested that's missed them:

Manninger hails Karius signing - 'He's one of the best modern goalkeepers in Europe' - Liverpool Echo

Klopp hails '100%' backing from Liverpool owner as boss eyes one more signing - Liverpool Echo

Jurgen Klopp - Why goals were a must for Liverpool in the transfer market - Liverpool Echo

Klopp - Liverpool new boy Wijnaldum is a complete footballer who will live up to price tag - Liverpool Echo

So a LB is still on the agenda and that will just about do us. That's reassuring to know.

SO buzzing for not only this season but the future I can't tell you. This things being built the RIGHT way. Will they all work out? Probably not. Nobody hits 100. on transfers. But they won't leave us stretched financially and there's the base being built behind to compensate. Not looked forward to a season with SO much optimism that we realistically have a serious shot of finally bringing home #19 since probably the end of Kenny's first go-around.

Our cycle is coming round again. I have NO doubt about that!

Oh, and for any night owls interested, there's a free open training session being broadcast by the club site at 1 AM BST. Everyone, Wijnaldum included, is now out in America bar Emre Can who's due in this Tuesday. I personally couldn't think of anything ore boring than watching football players train, but it's there if you want it:

1am BST: Watch live and free as Reds train in California - Liverpool FC

Last edited:
Back