The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
No one can accuse him of being biased!

Nobody can accuse Neville of being biased but he comes out with some utter reactionary bollocks just for the sake of drumming up Sky interest too. Jamie flip flops all over the place from week to week.

Karius has steadily improved. Today's nightmare aside. He's TEN games into his career in England. Prior to today, he'd played in 9 games, conceded just 6 goals, and had 4 clean sheets. And when he's been together with the starting back 4, which he didn't have today with Matip out, they've conceded just 2 goals in 5 games with 3 clean sheets.

Utter reactionary bollocks to suggest he's not been good enough since he's been here.

Can he improve? Defo. But this is a 23 year old 'keeper playing just his 100th game in top flight football today and his 10th in a new Country/ League.

People are getting so nervously wound up with the title fight that they're jumping on everything.

Last edited:
Came out of work knowing we were 2-0 at half time. What the **** happened. The weekend gets ******* and ******* for me.

Came out of work knowing we were 2-0 at half time. What the **** happened. The weekend gets ******* and ******* for me.

Avoid social media and the press like the plague.

Like Burnley, there's a WAY OTT reaction going on right now with both. We aren't even getting top 4 let alone winning the league apparently. And that's one of the few printable ones.

What we've learnt today is Matip + anyone else = Good defence. For me he has been the best centre half in the league so far.

There really can't be much debate any more about who our most important player is. Our attack is so fluid and interchangeable regardless of personnel, but our defence looks entirely different without Matip

I didn't watch MOTD but I can only imagine what their two bob 'pundits' had to say. They've been itching to have a go at the defence all year and the one time they all have a 'mare they doubtless went full throttle. Instead of saying what it was. Just one of them.

Need to rewatch the game to try work out just what happened from 3-1 and whether it was like it feels. As much as it hurts when we should never of not won. Just one of those games that will be all forgotten when we blam West Ham 5 or 6 next Sunday.

Should have gone with natural defender in Klavan? He was very good against Leeds(expect that wild shot)

So was Lucas. Who's been fantastic every game he's played at centre half. Up until yesterday when most the whole team had a 20 minute nightmare.

All wise in hindsight but I'd of started Lucas too the way he's been playing. And that's no slight on Klavan who's done nottin' wrong at all.

Yesterday was just one of them. It hurts as we should never of not won but **** happens in football. Learn from it, bounce back by hammering (pun intended) West Ham next Sunday and go on another 15 game unbeaten run.

Third round FA Cup draw tonight at 7 PM BST on BBC2/ BT Sport.
I'll take any of the highlighted teams away please for something new! (Not too arsed with the non-leaguers left.Save maybe Lincoln City who look good to return the League.). Or Burton away just because it's an awesome bevvie and we're getting to be quite the 'celebs' with the locals down there haha.

Still the best football day of the year for me the Third Round the FA Cup! HATE the fact that we'll hardly ever now have a Sat'day 3PM kick-off on third round day. **** TV company's!

Third Round Proper draw numbers

1 AFC BOURNEMOUTH
2 ARSENAL
3 ASTON VILLA
4 BARNSLEY
5 BIRMINGHAM CITY
6 BLACKBURN ROVERS
7 BRENTFORD
8 BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION
9 BRISTOL CITY
10 BURNLEY
11 BURTON ALBION
12 CARDIFF CITY
13 CHELSEA
14 CRYSTAL PALACE
15 DERBY COUNTY
16 EVERTON
17 FULHAM
18 HUDDERSFIELD TOWN
19 HULL CITY
20 IPSWICH TOWN
21 LEEDS UNITED
22 LEICESTER CITY
23 LIVERPOOL
24 MANCHESTER CITY
25 MANCHESTER UNITED
26 MIDDLESBROUGH
27 NEWCASTLE UNITED
28 NORWICH CITY
29 NOTTINGHAM FOREST
30 PRESTON NORTH END
31 QUEENS PARK RANGERS
32 READING
33 ROTHERHAM UNITED
34 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY
35 SOUTHAMPTON
36 STOKE CITY
37 SUNDERLAND
38 SWANSEA CITY
39 TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR
40 WATFORD
41 WEST BROMWICH ALBION
42 WEST HAM UNITED
43 WIGAN ATHLETIC
44 WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS
45 AFC WIMBLEDON
46 WYCOMBE WANDERERS
47 MILLWALL
48 MACCLESFIELD TOWN OR OXFORD UNITED
49 BOLTON WANDERERS
50 BLACKPOOL
51 STOURBRIDGE OR NORTHAMPTON TOWN
52 NOTTS COUNTY OR PETERBOROUGH UNITED
53 CAMBRIDGE UNITED
54 PORT VALE
55 BARROW
56 ACCRINGTON STANLEY
57 LINCOLN CITY OR OLDHAM ATHLETIC
58 LUTON TOWN
59 SUTTON UNITED
60 EASTLEIGH OR FC HALIFAX TOWN
61 SHREWSBURY TOWN OR FLEETWOOD TOWN
62 CHARLTON ATHLETIC OR MILTON KEYNES DONS
63 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE OR NEWPORT COUNTY
64 ROCHDALE

Last edited:
Wonder if that will be the Friday night with Everton at home and the League Cup semi the following Wednesday?

Gives a lot of scope for the young lads to get more first team experience at Anfield, doubtless in front of the TV cameras. Just a very uninspiring, mundane home draw from a fan perspective.

So Kun will be back against you on 31 dets :)

Great. He can join in with the disgrace of having a game at 5:30 PM on New Years Eve then when there's no trains between Manchester and L'pool and the busses in L'pool stop dead early that day.

All to keep the TV companies happy.

Hopefully we will get past Newport (Will be tough) and see you boys in the FA Cup :P

Would be good to go back to Anfield and spend a weekend in Liverpool

Was there games last year also on 31?

Nope, we had a game on the 30th and then the 2nd I believe.

Thanks to the Internet and a little bit of research, 2005 was the last time L'pool played on New Years Eve and this year will be only the third time in the PL era. Complete joke with the fans being the single last people considered yet again.

To compound matters, they've moved the Boxing Day game to the only game on the 27th just so TV can get another frigging live fixture in. With another stupid kick-off. (5:15 PM BST.). Against Stoke. Yeah, THAT will draw the TV masses right Sky ..... ?

All that said, as a consequence of the City late kick-off, the game at Sunderland (January 2nd. 3 PM BST KO), is fixing to be boss haha. Just what sort of mad line-up will he put out in that game coming less than 48 hours after the City game?

Last edited:
Should have gone with natural defender in Klavan? He was very good against Leeds(expect that wild shot)
I know he is your homeboy but apart from pre season, Klavan has looked below average most of the time he has played. Especially against pacey forwards he really struggles and his positioning is ok at best. Speaks volume that Lucas is being played above him at centrehalf.

I know he is your homeboy but apart from pre season, Klavan has looked below average most of the time he has played. Especially against pacey forwards he really struggles and his positioning is ok at best. Speaks volume that Lucas is being played above him at centrehalf.

Little harsh mate for me. The first two games the year, when the whole defence were all over, he looked like an ageing, lumbering 31 year old. But he's been solid the League Cup run and bar a carless short back pass he was sound against Hull. Solid enough for a squad depth guy anyways with ridiculous top level experience.

Just Lucas has been a revelation at centre half. Sunday aside when he had a nightmare.

Matip back the weekend. Joe Gomez held out the U-23's tonight. (Though they have a friendly tomorrow so he may well play in that.). A 4th game in 14 days after 270 minutes just one too far after so long out presumably.

Little harsh mate for me. The first two games the year, when the whole defence were all over, he looked like an ageing, lumbering 31 year old. But he's been solid the League Cup run and bar a carless short back pass he was sound against Hull. Solid enough for a squad depth guy anyways with ridiculous top level experience.

Just Lucas has been a revelation at centre half. Sunday aside when he had a nightmare.

Matip back the weekend. Joe Gomez held out the U-23's tonight. (Though they have a friendly tomorrow so he may well play in that.). A 4th game in 14 days after 270 minutes just one too far after so long out presumably.
In the league cup against opp we should be beating though. In matches when we have been under the peg and without Matip he has looked pretty bad, not only him though you could say the same about Lovren. I would honestly partner Matip with Lucas for the rest of the season as apart from Strength and aerial ability Lucas is a much better CB than Lovren, he just spreads panic Lovren when under pressure. In the case of Joe Gomez I think it will be a year or so before he is ready for first team fotty as an ACL is not only hard to come back from physically but mentally as well.

Well, save for the on-going question mark over Alby, I'm happily satisfied with the first choice back 4th and depth behind it. Very much doubt the manager adds anything there in January unless someone he has an eye on for next year and beyond becomes available.

Back