The Liverpool Thread

Yes Joe Gomez partners VVD. I love the improvements Matip has made but he has nothing on a fully fit Gomez who is imo along with Gimenez the best youngish CB in the football at the moment.
Probably jinxed him today looked a bit off the mark as expected. Surprised by Norwich they played well for moments but were incredibly naive for me. MOTM for me was Firmino man he is peerless everything good about our attack goes through him. special mention to divock who caused havoc and perhaps we should have signed a backup winger for Mane. Oh wait.

Hopefully Alisson is not seriously injured.
He makes such a big difference so quick of his line and gives the defence a sense of calm. Hopefully it isnt an achilles injury which is what ive seen mentioned.

Steady start for you guys. Can see why Norwich are people’s top 3 to go down. Least they tried to have a go. Suck if Allison is injured!

Funny hearing Norwich singing "sign on" about as funny as hearing Wolverhampton sing it despite having a Scouser as their captain. Bunch of idiots.

And that's why we're the best team in Europe.

Funny game that. L'pool absolutely sensational at times without ever really getting out of third gear. Through which Norwich played really well and could well have scored more. Some belter goals and saves. Mixed individual performances. But all in all just about the perfect opening to a season.

First half, some of the attacking football was ridiculous. The intensity Klopp's been on about this week that set's us apart was back and made a lot of reactionary fools over pre-season look just that. The amount of Norwich lads puffing and going down with cramp trying to keep up was ridiculous. All the while, as brilliant as what L'pool where, they never really looked like they'd reached anything approaching first gear. Just a massive class apart from last years Championship winners. Who got a very harsh lesson in the difference from that league to playing the very best of the best. Whilst playing really, really well themselves. I sincerely hope they stick to their principles of playing good, attacking football all season and don't revert to what many promoted sides do after an early walloping. You've just played the best team in all of Europe lads that are on a whole other level to most anything you'll face this year outside of City. Keep on playing the way you are, albeit a tad naive against some bigger sides, you'll win far more games than you'll lose and survive another year. All credit to them. Really refreshing to see a promoted side with that attitude. It's getting few and far between with the financial fear of not going out of the PL.

Norwich deserved the goal they scored after we naturally took our foot right off the gas the second half and became a tad sloppy at times. Whilst still being in control and knowing they could easily go up another few levels if needed. 4 up at half time on the opening day with 37 and a half LONG games to go I can well forgive them for that. Norwich could well have had a couple first half when, amongst the brilliance of our attacking play, we looked little out of synch the back but that will come again sooner rather than later. Chelsea and chance #2 to win silverware this year Wednesday should focus the backline to be totally on it quickly.

I had Henderson down as the MOTM. He was superb and just totally embodies everything this side is all about with his full out commitment to the last whistle. Can't be said enough just what a proper captain that lad is. He must have had his name song on 5 or 6 separate occasions which is a new experience for Jordan but absolutely superb to hear as more people finally start to appreciate how integral he is. I was pleasantly surprised to see JMG straight back in. Personally thought he'd reward Matip for the end of last season and continuity to start out. But like Klopp's always said, those that show me in training will always get the chance. So you can only presume he's won that pre-season battle fair and square. A little ropey first half but he settled and gradually started to show signs of just why he's by far the best option for the next decade or so for this football club. And as we noticeably appear to be playing an even higher line this season, the pace of both Joe and Virgil within that speaks for itself. Mo will get 40 plus all comps this season. Telling yer. You forget, in the summers gap of not seeing him live much, just how ridiculously top bracket a footballer he is. And he's come back as fresh and as sharp as he ever has. And poor Norwich. Just as they think they can get out with an easy last 20, on comes Sadio doing ridiculous Sadio things from his first touch. What a late cameo that was. What a masterful front three we are privileged to possess. (Just how good was Bobby again too?). What a F gang of Reds these lads are. And with a ridiculous quality bench barely touched into the bargain. Kind of puts to bed all the cry arsing over no major buys huh? Lads, we're managed by one of the two top coaches in the World. He kind of knows what he's doing and just what a superb group he has. Trust him hey?

As anticipated, the atmosphere was European-esq wild at kick-off and through the first half in particular. 'We are the Champions, Champions of Europe!' just can't be belted out enough every game and every ground we visit to remind people of the fact. Naturally dipped the second half as the team eased up with a game long since won. But to get the Kop stood for the full 90 and bouncing against Norwich is a seriously good sign of just how fun it's going to be at Anfield again this season. Side-note on the atmosphere- As impressed with Norwich as I was on the park, can their fans off it please F off back from where they came? Lower league cockwombles. And the REALLY sad part is they genuinely think they're being witty with the only stereotypical garbage they know. 'You're **** ahhhhhhhhh!' after every goal kick is cringe worthy enough. 'This is a library/ Where's your famous atmosphere?' after the atmosphere dipped second half. Lads, for one, it's not a library yanno? You can't take books out and return them the next time you come. And if yuse weren't so ***** and the game killed by half-time, we might have something to continue going at the second. But to then roll out 'Sign on ...... ' Aside from poverty being NO laughing matter, this isn't the L'pool of '80's austerity yanno that your dads experienced and have passed these pathetically outdated, oh so hilarious and (un) original ditties down to you. Educate yourself, grow up, think on, and enjoy your night out at Europes best instead of making an absolute show of yourselves. Dickheads.

The only sour note on the perfect opening night was of course Alisson. Didn't look too clever at all but if it's just his calf that's a relief. Hopefully he's not out too long. One things for darn sure, I personally feel 100% more secure with Adrian back there, particularly with a ball at his feet (some of the balls he was immediately pinging around fills you with calm), then I EVER did Mignolet. I'd honestly be fearing that our season could implode before it's even begun with the Belgium in nets. Now, not so much. The superb reception Adrian got when he came on, who must have been pinching himself, said it all. Mignolet wouldn't have, and never has, gotten anything like that.

Even if Alisson's out through the first break, we have a very favourable run of Southampton and Burnley away, and Arsenal home, to think we'll be sound. And now Adrian get's to represent the European Champions in the European Super Cup with a chance to win his first medal in football Wednesday. Surreal doesn't begin to explain that for a lad who was training by himself back home in Seville as a free-agent this summer.

All-in-all the perfect opening night to remind everyone who'd madly forgotten through the transfer nonsense just how ****** good these Reds are. And now we get to put our feet up and watch the only other game of real relevance this weekend to ourselves this dinner-time.

Over to City. The floor to respond is yours.

Up the 'We are the Champions, Champions of Europe!' Reds!

Last edited:
looking like Ali will be out between 4-8 weeks which I think coincides with the first international break.

looking like Ali will be out between 4-8 weeks which I think coincides with the first international break.

Yeah, not too bad at all. Very favourable run upto the first ridiculous International break with Southampton and Burnley away and Arsenal at home.

Just thankful we got such good return on Mignolet finally and picked up Adrian. Feel way safer with him in nets starting the SC than I ever would have the Belgium clown.

Talking of Chelsea, here's tomorrows opening day '6-pointer for the top 6' game at Utd being a real blood and thunder game to really put them through it before Istanbul.

Yeah, not too bad at all. Very favourable run upto the first ridiculous International break with Southampton and Burnley away and Arsenal at home.

Just thankful we got such good return on Mignolet finally and picked up Adrian. Feel way safer with him in nets starting the SC than I ever would have the Belgium clown.

Talking of Chelsea, here's tomorrows opening day '6-pointer for the top 6' game at Utd being a real blood and thunder game to really put them through it before Istanbul.
Much better on the ball then Mingo but feel Adrian couldve done better for the goal. Was caught in two minds whether to come out or not and got a bollocking from VVD who told him he shouldve come out for it. All in all atleast we dont have to watch Mignolet anymore.

Even with an 8 week lay off; the toughest game would be Burnley away followed by Chelsea away.

So hopefully we can pull through.

Looks like Lonergan might well be signed on a short term deal to add experienced goalie cover the interim. As if it wasn't mad enough for him to spend the summer travelling around the World with the European Champions helping out. Now he's possibly set to be sat on the bench the European Super Cup for them with a chance to pick up the first medal of his 19-year-career. Wonderfully out-of-the-blue story. And when you throw in the other FA Adrian who'll be making his full debut on such a stage with a chance to do the same ..... What a sport this is for magical, heartwarming tales that come when you least expect them.

Hard to decipher much of anything for Wednesday from the first look at Chelsea yesterday. Incredibly flattering result for Utd. Incredibly embarrassing one for Chelsea. Be interesting to see if Lampard continues attacking like that. Rudiger and Kante play yesterday and that's doubtless a different outcome. Could have done without Kante coming on. Hopefully Rudiger misses out and Zuma continues his woeful start to the season.

Until the two quick momentum changers, I thought, without getting the run of the ball/ luck, they played real well overall for a good hour but looked very naive the backside with the absentees. A hard one to know exactly what to expect from them Wednesday in Istanbul?

I mean I fully expect to be sat with another European trophy when it's all said and done. And on the face of it, the potential's there to destroy that backline. But this is us and them, in a European final, and those games never come easy so it'll doubtless be a real tight, hard fought battle the full game.

Really hope Barkley keeps his place like. Man is he getting worse by the passing season.

paul [email]joyce@_pauljoyce

AS Roma in talks with Liverpool over transfer of Dejan Lovren. Deal possible and asking price around £15m now. Lovren recognises he’s fourth choice.

9:49 am · 13 Aug 2019

Imminent Twitter breakdown in 5, 4, 3, 2 .....

Utterly surreal for Harvey Elliott to be on the bench tomorrow with a chance of winning a European trophy with his boyhood club at not long turned 16-year-of-age.

Living the dream and then some.

do you have cover if he does go and there is allways a twitter breakdown some where

That was what I was alluding to mate as it would leave 3 vet. recognised CH's. (Uncannily the same as City with their perceived 'super-duper' squad.).

At the close of the window, I was happy he was still here purely from a 'extra body' standpoint. The first half of this season, if we remain active in the League Cup, we could play an absolutely ridiculous 26 games before January 1. With three double-game International breaks thrown-in for good measure! So with only 4 recognised vet. CH's, purely on a numbers game I was happy he was staying.

But then you sit down and think about the fact he both can't be relied upon health wise. And if he, naturally, at the stage of his career he's now at, want's to play regular football and isn't happy being demoted to 4th choice (which is a 'distant' 4th choice now the form of Matip the second half of last season), then it's pretty pointless keeping an unhappy, unreliable player and not cashing in whilst we still can.

I was staggered, even given Degsy's pretty darn woeful injury record, to read he's never put together 6 consecutive games in all his time here. Through 5-years! Mind-blowingly poor. That's the very definition of an 'injury prone' player who just can't be relied upon.

So anyone lamenting the lack of CH numbers if he does indeed leave this window needs to consider that he's hardly a reliable part of the equation himself! (He's not travelled to Istanbul today down to 'illness.').

In an extreme worst case Fabinho can comfortably slot in back there. And it just adds to Hoever's rapid progress and how highly he's viewed that they'd have no qualms in him playing in a similar circumstance either.

Lot of versatility in this squad to not be overly concerned. We'll be sound if Lovren does indeed leave. Which is probably the best for all parties all things considered.

*Edit* And there's a window in January to reasses if needs be.

Last edited:
Gotta' say, as much as I'm buzzing on the eve of another big European Final, it's hard to be stuck in L'pool and not out in that wondrous City by the Bosporus where East meets West in a magical cultural mix. Not least when 'mates' are bouncing photies back to you. *******! Sadly just not the right time of the season for Istanbul with flight prices sky high off the back of Madrid and Qatar December. Something had to give and regrettably Istanbul was it.

Absolutely gutted to be missing out tomorrow. 2005 and Japan the CWC aside, the first final I've missed of any description since my first in 1984.

Still find it utterly mad how some folk don't think this is an important trophy to win when not only are there just three of them in UEFA competition, where the really big clubs judge themselves, but it's both an honour and privileged reward for winning one of the two European majors. With the added spice that's it's against the club that's as outright hated as any other for many Reds. Particularly older ones.

Thankfully the manager and players are as hungry as ever to maintain that winning feeling now they've got the taste.

At least the rest of Europe appreciate the significance and importance of the SC even if the majority of the insular English around the Country don't.

Here's to European trophy #13 tomorrow evening for one of UEFA's true elite aristocrats.

Up the F Mentality Monster Reds!

scouse are you off to the world cup?

Yup. Always regret not going to Japan for the experience. Figure I'm never going to visit Qatar without this excuse. Did well on the flights and hotel rooms are madly cheap for top quality we'd never have the opportunity of so we've well taken advantage of that.

After Southampton Saturday as it's the first away as European Champions and is fixing to be as wild as last Friday night I shall be jibbing quite a few league games the first half of the year with that and Europe.

tbf, city actually acknowledge they are light at Centre back, especially since stones can be injury prone. They aren't the best comparison.

Fabinho has only ever played 2 games at Centre back so not sure I'd call him cover. More likely to promote an academy player if there is any kind of injury