The Liverpool Thread

L'pool have no squad depth.

L'pool have no youth.

Naby Kieta is a flop and has no future at Anfield.

Etc ad nauseam.

And then the last week happened and the white noise went strangely silent.

Another superb display from Kloppo's historic Reds.

City 14 points behind going into the Derby.

Happy ChristmasPep!

Up the 33 and counting Unbeaten, Table running away Reds!

A first clean sheet and Salah back with a goal. I remember before the season started being told City had a better squad depth than us but people continue to underestimate how good this squad actually is.

Edit: Looks like Pep shouldve bought a CB in the summer instead of collecting FB's like Pokemon cards.

Last edited:
NEVER expected that but get in Utd!

What a F outstanding Sat'day!

It's getting closer!
Lowkey keep telling yourself its not over but 14 points and im not sure Leicester can continue their form especially considering their chasing us.

Keep it classy City-

Edit-

Awwww, the gutless, drink driving, racist, wife-beating gobshite has taken it down. (Or had it removed.)

'Bin dippers we're coming for you' was the socially aware, poverty joking observation from the bastion of morality Trevor Sinclair.

HomerSimpson-Doh1.gif

Am I the only one that thinks its not even a title challenge from Leicester. I know a bit egotistical but think about even after going 7 wins on the trot their still 8 points behind us and I think City and LFC both posting 90 plus points have numbed people but thats the high standards set which have never been seen before. Do Leicester have it in them to post up a 90 plus point a season. I dont think so. We have won 23 of the past 24 games. Thats the real level.

Am I the only one that thinks its not even a title challenge from Leicester. I know a bit egotistical but think about even after going 7 wins on the trot their still 8 points behind us and I think City and LFC both posting 90 plus points have numbed people but thats the high standards set which have never been seen before. Do Leicester have it in them to post up a 90 plus point a season. I dont think so. We have won 23 of the past 24 games. Thats the real level.

No. You aren't. I've never considered anyone a contender over the season other than City. SO far ahead of everyone else we both are. (City's current malaise notwithstanding.). I had this debate with friends last weekend when I was in the minority in wanting Leicester to beat the Ev.

So, by association, although I wouldn't claim the league was over just into December, if City are the only possible team I see challenging, and they now sit FIVE games behind not only the most consistent L'pool side we've ever seen, but one of the most ruthlessly consistent in English football history, then ......

14 points advantage in December. Bundesliga looks more competetive than Premier League this year.

Now onto the CWC and the EFL oh wait they bungled the latter up. Which is funny because I was looking up whos in charge of the EFL and lo and behold its the original incompetent fool that is Rick 'I make Woodward look amazing' Parry.

Joyce breaking something is more than enough to give proper credence to a rumour.

Ticks all the boxes. And anyone that's been developed at Salzburg given how top draw both Naby and Sadio (with the only glaring weakness in the squad cover for him which this lad affords) really peaks your attention. Aside from his displays the two group games where he more than passed the eye test as RBS' stand-out player among a team packed full of really good, exciting ones.

Throw in the Japanese/ Asian market, the ridiculous bargain clause, no cup-tie situation for the knock-outs, and it would appear from every stand point a complete no-brainer.

*Vote Labour today. We can do this!

*The piece as The Times is subscription-based on-line-

PREMIER LEAGUE
Liverpool close on Red Bull Salzburg star Takumi Minamino — and can sign him for just £7.25m
Paul Joyce, Northern Football Correspondent
December 12 2019, 9:00am, The Times

Liverpool are ready to accelerate their interest in Red Bull Salzburg’s Takumi Minamino next month and try to exploit a release clause of just £7.25 million.

The Japan international, who impressed against the European champions despite his own side’s 2-0 defeat on Tuesday night, is available for a fraction of his true market value which underlines why Liverpool are prepared to move in the January window having originally discussed a summer deal.

Jurgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, is the driving force behind the prospective transfer having been thrilled by Minamino’s performances in the Champions League where his quality, poise in possession and ability to pick a pass from an attacking midfield role was clear.

The 24-year-old scored in Salzburg’s 4-3 defeat at Anfield in October and had been deployed at the top of a midfield diamond behind two strikers this week. Minamino has also played wide and in a two pronged strike force previously to underline his versatility in a variety of positions.

He has two goals and three assists in the competition and it is understood some of Liverpool senior players mentioned Minamino to the club’s coaching staff having recognised his technical ability and workrate. Minamino covered 66.8kilometres in six appearances in Group E.

However, Klopp has tracked Minamino prior to this season due to his fascination with the Red Bull football empire and its ability to develop the sort of talent he wants for his own teams.

Naby Keita and Sadio Mané both saw their careers take a leap forward at Salzburg having been signed by German sporting director Ralf Rangnick, a figure whom Klopp regards as being a major influence on his own coaching career.

“You are educating great players here in Salzburg,” said Klopp after the win in the Red Bull Arena which sealed the club’s progress into the last 16 of the competition as winners of Group E. They will be seeded and could now face Real Madrid, Atalanta, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund or Olympique Lyonnais.
Liverpool, who see Minamino as being worth in excess of £20 million, believe the player would contribute to their push for honours over the coming months should they be able to win the race for his signature.

A change in Uefa’s rules ahead of the 2018-19 season saw the “cup-tied rule” removed which would allow Minamino to play in the Champions League knockout stages for a new club.

Minamino’s dazzling performances for Salzburg should guarantee a number of interested parties at the end of the season from Premier League, Bundesliga and Serie A sides, which is another reason why Liverpool will try and move early. He has scored nine goals in total this term.

There have only been two January signings so far in Klopp’s tenure. Marko Grujic joined from Red Star Belgrade for £5.1million in January 2016 and is currently on loan at Hertha Berlin. Virgil van Dijk came from Southampton for an initial £70 million in January 2018.

It is a measure of Minamino’s talent that Liverpool are prepared to break from their normal strategy, although it has become a forte of Anfield officials to conduct smart transfer business and this would be another example.

Salzburg’s teenage striker Erling Haaland has drawn many admiring glances, including those of Manchester United, after scoring 28 goals already this season. He has a release clause of around £17 million

South Korean forward Hee-Chan Hwang is another player to have caught the eye and Wolverhampton Wanderers’ sporting director Kevin Thelwell watched him against Liverpool.

But it is Minamino with whom Klopp is taken and wants to sign.

*Edit*

All the local corp are all over it now, with Reddy saying it's done-

Last edited:
Thats **** steal. Strange to se club like them have so low release clause.

Thats **** steal. Strange to se club like them have so low release clause.

I didn't think I could be more impressed with both the City of Salzburg, and the wonderfully friendly, welcoming boss football club and its supporters who represent it.

And then this gift happens.

Talking of, and topical for today, the last 10 mins were solid

NSFW!

Along with reminding Boris of just what a C he is along with 'Maggie being in the mud.' Just because.

Scousers being politically savvy in standing up for the right things.

*Vote Labour today. We can do this!

James Pearce

@JamesPearceLFC
As long as he passes his medical, Takumi Minamino will become a #LFC on January 1. Borussia Mönchengladbach, AC Milan and Manchester United among those beaten to his signature.
Fee of £7.25 million - effectively what Liverpool banked for selling Ryan Kent to Rangers.

Why are you folks having elections of a Thursday. That seems like a stupid idea.

Same price we got for Ryan Kent and getting in a player who is versatile enough to cover both wings. Can't complain for the price being quoted. Edwards has legit played a blinder once again.

I am actually ecstatic that we are picking up Minamino. I said to my mate at work after the first Salzburg game he looked like a quality player and would love to sign him. Maybe my love of all things Japanese swayed my judgement! Is he the first Japanese player to play for us?