The Liverpool Thread

Jamie Carragher 2021
He has a point in that 6 straight home defeats regardless of how gutted the team is by injuries is just despicable. Sensationalism sells though regardless and context is required but context doesn't stop senior players downing their tools for the season.

Right and why did you switch to controlling style? Perhaps because pressing proved unsustainable over a season? :giggle:
Doesnt answer your original Dortmund collapse season mirroring this season but I'll bite. No, because we went from a top 4 hopefuls who used the press to mask the weaknesses in the squad to title challengers and winners who didn't need to rely on it as we had quality. Even then we still use the counter press although its funny I've noticed this season even that has been dropped considerably. Perhaps to shield the players from fixture congestion and no more injury pileup.

Doesnt answer your original Dortmund collapse season mirroring this season but I'll bite. No, because we went from a top 4 hopefuls who used the press to mask the weaknesses in the squad to title challengers and winners who didn't need to rely on it as we had quality. Even then we still use the counter press although its funny I've noticed this season even that has been dropped considerably. Perhaps to shield the players from fixture congestion and no more injury pileup.

I think that's confusing cause and effect. You went from challenging top 4 to challenging titles because you switched to more conservative style, after Klopp realized there's a huge difference between 34 games with 1 cup competition and winter break, and with 38 + 2 cup competitions and no break.

I think that's confusing cause and effect. You went from challenging top 4 to challenging titles because you switched to more conservative style, after Klopp realized there's a huge difference between 34 games with 1 cup competition and winter break, and with 38 + 2 cup competitions and no break.
That I agree with you partially but that happened after Buvac left who disagreed with Klopp. I just think it's the natural progression the conservative style as naturally the better the team the more they will have of the ball. We still use the counter press but we are not hounding teams and letting them have the ball as Klopp wants his side controlling the play. My point is for those that say all this pressing and intensity is the reason for this season injuries and implosion. When in fact it hasn't been the reason for coming up to three seasons.

Edit: Just wanted to add as terrible as our injury list has been. You don't lose 6 on the bounce at home to relegation fodder included without something being incredibly wrong bar injuries.

Last edited:
Can't believe this absolute farce of a season continues with away goals counting for the RBL tie. Despite neither team having any 'home' advantage.

If this goes to extra-time we're totally handicapped for the extra half-hour.

Can't believe this absolute farce of a season continues with away goals counting for the RBL tie. Despite neither team having any 'home' advantage.

If this goes to extra-time we're totally handicapped for the extra half-hour.
They can't be worse than Sheff Utd considering we beat them both right??? /s

They can't be worse than Sheff Utd considering we beat them both right??? /s

Haha.

This is a really tricky game mate. Very good side. I really like what Nagelsmann is building there.

Lot of hard work still to do in this tie.

Just a complete farce that both legs are not just in the same neutral venue. But that 'away' goals are being counted.

Sweet! The training photies of a midfield shape drill with Fabulous in them yesterday weren't a red herring.

90 mins proper hard work ahead at least. These are a really good, well-coached side.

All the makings of another belter like the first leg.

Up the 'This is what we DO!!!!!' European Elite Reds!

Noticed that Phillips has some kind of medical headband on, and Thiago has is fingers strapped up. This injuries are just mental

3/4’s of the job done.

The profligacy aside, which should have us out of sight,. Excellent half. Thiago and Fabinho been super.

45 mins more hard work Redmen!

With the PL a dead duck, and top 4 hanging by the thinest of thin threads, step forward our competition to remind the rest of Europe that when the European lights go on, one of UEFA’s marquee clubs forget their troubles and come alive!

Superb display against a really good RBL side. Top marks to everyone from the manager on down. Even Origi decided he's a footballer again with a super cameo and belter assist.

Falling apart apparently and in complete turmoil aren’t we? The Klopp era over? Isn’t that how the narrative goes? ......

The Reds are gracing the quarter-finals of the biggest competition in World football and NOBODY will want to draw them! Not too shabby at all for a done team.

Uo the European F Royalty Reds!

Thought Nat Phillips was superb today. Put in a colossal performance. Hoping with stick with him and Kabak at the back going forward.
I said before Fabinho is the best def mid in the world and I stand by that decision. Shoutout Nat too we know he can defend and now he is getting comfortable on the ball. Kabak and him can hopefully build a partnership.

I said before Fabinho is the best def mid in the world and I stand by that decision. Shoutout Nat too we know he can defend and now he is getting comfortable on the ball. Kabak and him can hopefully build a partnership.

Mad how the Reds are gonna' finish 15th and be Champions of Europe again aye?

So a reminder of the Atlético game was on my timeline this AM to remind me it's now exactly one whole year since I've been afforded being able to be together with my team in the ground for a game of football. 😭

But it got me thinking back to that night, the crazy personal choices you oft make for your team with no rationale behind them, and the Worldwide horror we're still having to deal with daily ......

The warning signs were there the first game in Madrid 3 weeks earlier. Although COVID hadn't really hit the over here or the Spanish capital at that time, Northern Italy was starting to get out of control. We flew directly into Madrid out of Gatwick that game. So after another great few days in one of the Worlds best capital city's, thought nothing of it. But then catching up with other friends on returning home, some of ours traveled back through Milan-Bergamo where they had a flight change. And they were greeted coming off the plane by having their temperature taken, then being isolated together at the airport, before another temperature check on the next flight. Officials on the Italian side were vague about the reasons why? But upon landing back in the UK they were advised to see their GP's and self-isolate if necessary as the virus was spreading across Europe.

And then subsequently, before the home game, Madrid infection/ death rates skyrocketed. Which all made you think 'Jesus! You put the lads who came back through Milan's experience together with this news and think how fortunate were we that none of our party became infected after 3 days in Madrid? And just what the heck officials on both sides of the channel weren't telling us that they must have known at the time?'

So by the time of the home game, things across Europe were starting to get totally out of control and Madrid had spiked to one of the highest hotspots in a state of emergency at that time. Which naturally lead a lot of very searching conversations among us about whether we should even attend the home game? But then you put your trust in the hands of the authorities. If the Government were happy to allow up to 3K from Madrid into the North West, how serious could it be? Surely L'pool/ UEFA et al wouldn't still sanction the game if there was a serious risk to all concerned?

So (I know. Naivety at worst) thinking you were in safe hands from the Government/ authorities, along with the lure of yet another belter Anfield night under the European lights, won out and we happily went the game. Madly, in retrospect, playing with our lives again.

I managed to knock off early that day as I had a few tickets to distribute so I was up The Glanbuck (the arl Stanley for anyone of my generation or older), around half 5 to meet friends. And it was about 6 PM in there that the place was dropped into a muted silence when it broke on the TV that the WHO had officially declared COVID a Worldwide pandemic. But then there was still a massive European night to look forward to so you can easily turn your thoughts back to matters at hand ..... I had to visit 3 other boozers before I went into the ground that night picking up and distributing tickets. All that was, naturally, rammed solid with a mixture of Spanish and English fans. ****, in the Solly (now the 12th Man for you whippersnappers), I was caught up in the middle of 5 or 6 Atléti fans all grabbing. kissing you and bouncing up and down singing some mad song.

It just brought home again, recollecting all this morning, just how fortunate, and how utterly stupid, we were to escape anything serious. And to put our trust in those that should be there to protect and make the right decisions for you to ensure everyone's safety.

We had a sharp spike here in the weeks following that game with no doubt many unnecessary lives lost directly related to the game. A girl who travels regularly in Europe with us tragically lost a long-standing face who had his seasonie behind her the Kop around a month after that game. With everyone convinced it was directly related to that night. (Richard Mawson. If any cares to read up.).

It really does make you think of the absurd stupidity of hosting that game/ allowing so many from Madrid into our little area of the Country. Which not only affected Liverpool but Manchester and further afield with them taking different routes in/ travel up to the North West. A real 'There but for the grace of God' yanno?'

Sorry for the sobering thoughts this morning on what was my last live game watching the mighty Reds.

Exactly one year ago today. Sighs.