The Liverpool Thread

One player that was terrible once again is Gini. He has been imitating a ghost on the pitch since Dec. Such a frustrating player when he plays within himself. Not committed to the cause ever since it looks certain he wasn't getting a renewal.

One player that was terrible once again is Gini. He has been imitating a ghost on the pitch since Dec. Such a frustrating player when he plays within himself. Not committed to the cause ever since it looks certain he wasn't getting a renewal.

With respect, that's utter B/S mate IMHO. He's just utterly physically and mentally goosed. Why I noted I'd personally have given him the night off given the Dutch will doubtless play him all three games through this break as he's the captain in Big Virgs absence.

Wijnaldum's barely missed a minute for L'pool or the Netherlands this season.

The only issue with Gini is his legs have absolutely gone through being overworked down to injury. Total commitment every time he plays, regardless of whether his future lies here or elsewhere, has never been a problem.

As for his future.....

I am not personally convinced he will leave the longer this rolls. I can see a middle ground being reached with him agreeing more in line with our thinking. We know Gini openly loves it here and doesn't want to leave. It's just a case of his idea of his worth, whether that be financially or down to the security of the length of contract at his age (I suspect its more the latter), you can't, to me anyway, be anything else but appreciative of both him and the club through all this.

Yet again, Gini has given absolutely every last ounce of sweat he has to give for the cause this year to the point he's now glaringly running on empty with his legs completely gone. Which was always a major safeguard the club had in weighing up Gini's worth to us this season/ doing the right thing by their players. Verses selling him last summer for a pittance of his value. Reduced even further in a COVID decimated market.

Like Bayern have with Alaba this year. And not standing in Thiago's way last summer to ourselves, you really can't understate looking after your key players that are leaders both on the pitch and in the changies. Something proper big clubs like ourselves and Munich, who do conduct themselves in a proper manner, fully understand.

Gini's always been open in his love for Liverpool. His commitment has never been in question, As noted yet again in glorious technicolour this season. He's really popular within the changing room. A fair contract from Liverpool's standpoint has been on the table for a good while now. For whatever reason, that hasn't tallied up seemingly with his thoughts so he's played the long game. Which is perfectly reasonable from his standpoint at his age. This contract may well be the last big one of his career and it has to be right for him from all facets. But if we'd have forced him out and tried selling him when he wasn't looking to leave, you then risk sending the completely wrong message to his peers and ultimately risk losing the changies.

It's a fine balancing act and I can understand folk who are narked if he does indeed walk away for no transfer fee. But all things considered, he was worth FAR more to the football club to let him go into the final year of his contract this season, both on and off the pitch. (I shudder to think how much worse we'd have been this year without Gini Wijnaldum.). So I'm personally sound with all parties with how this has played out.

Just like I'm sure many Bayern fans will be with how Thiago and Alaba played out the last two seasons.

There's a lot to be said in 'doing the right thing' by vet. players who have done the right thing by you right through their contracts. And the message it sends to everyone else, either here or looking to come here, about how we view the welfare of our players.

With respect, that's utter B/S mate IMHO. He's just utterly physically and mentally goosed. Why I noted I'd personally have given him the night off given the Dutch will doubtless play him all three games through this break as he's the captain in Big Virgs absence.

Wijnaldum's barely missed a minute for L'pool or the Netherlands this season.

The only issue with Gini is his legs have absolutely gone through being overworked down to injury. Total commitment every time he plays, regardless of whether his future lies here or elsewhere, has never been a problem.

As for his future.....

I am not personally convinced he will leave the longer this rolls. I can see a middle ground being reached with him agreeing more in line with our thinking. We know Gini openly loves it here and doesn't want to leave. It's just a case of his idea of his worth, whether that be financially or down to the security of the length of contract at his age (I suspect its more the latter), you can't, to me anyway, be anything else but appreciative of both him and the club through all this.

Yet again, Gini has given absolutely every last ounce of sweat he has to give for the cause this year to the point he's now glaringly running on empty with his legs completely gone. Which was always a major safeguard the club had in weighing up Gini's worth to us this season/ doing the right thing by their players. Verses selling him last summer for a pittance of his value. Reduced even further in a COVID decimated market.

Like Bayern have with Alaba this year. And not standing in Thiago's way last summer to ourselves, you really can't understate looking after your key players that are leaders both on the pitch and in the changies. Something proper big clubs like ourselves and Munich, who do conduct themselves in a proper manner, fully understand.

Gini's always been open in his love for Liverpool. His commitment has never been in question, As noted yet again in glorious technicolour this season. He's really popular within the changing room. A fair contract from Liverpool's standpoint has been on the table for a good while now. For whatever reason, that hasn't tallied up seemingly with his thoughts so he's played the long game. Which is perfectly reasonable from his standpoint at his age. This contract may well be the last big one of his career and it has to be right for him from all facets. But if we'd have forced him out and tried selling him when he wasn't looking to leave, you then risk sending the completely wrong message to his peers and ultimately risk losing the changies.

It's a fine balancing act and I can understand folk who are narked if he does indeed walk away for no transfer fee. But all things considered, he was worth FAR more to the football club to let him go into the final year of his contract this season, both on and off the pitch. (I shudder to think how much worse we'd have been this year without Gini Wijnaldum.). So I'm personally sound with all parties with how this has played out.

Just like I'm sure many Bayern fans will be with how Thiago and Alaba played out the last two seasons.

There's a lot to be said in 'doing the right thing' by vet. players who have done the right thing by you right through their contracts. And the message it sends to everyone else, either here or looking to come here, about how we view the welfare of our players.
Playing devils advocate here. I still think the midfield options have become stale and need a refresh. We have Curtis pushing through who will most definitely be a first team regular if he isn't already soon enough. I just think offering Gini a new contract is not a good idea as we will have three midfielders all above 30 in Thiago, Hendo and Gini who will need phasing out soon enough. Not saying Gini will drop off massively players in their 30s don't just fall off a cliff but Wenger was on to something with is one year deal for any player over 30. It protects the club is not being hampered by massive wages for an aging player. Also it will be hard and near on Impossible to replace all our key midfielders over one summer so its best to phase them out one by one. In this case unfortunately it is Gini.

Playing devils advocate here. I still think the midfield options have become stale and need a refresh. We have Curtis pushing through who will most definitely be a first team regular if he isn't already soon enough. I just think offering Gini a new contract is not a good idea as we will have three midfielders all above 30 in Thiago, Hendo and Gini who will need phasing out soon enough. Not saying Gini will drop off massively players in their 30s don't just fall off a cliff but Wenger was on to something with is one year deal for any player over 30. It protects the club is not being hampered by massive wages for an aging player. Also it will be hard and near on Impossible to replace all our key midfielders over one summer so its best to phase them out one by one. In this case unfortunately it is Gini.

Fair concerns.

Rotation is the keyword though I think there mate. If they are playing around 25/ 30 or so games a season each and not 40/50 plus, I'm sure we'd get the same top-level performances from them of the prior 3 years.

I may be wrong, but I always felt there was going to be a switch-up in formation with Thiago. Just injuries haven't afforded either that or really allowed Thiago to play his natural game with the players around him he was bought for to allow him to do that. He's been asked to do way too many foreign things for his old legs this year to fill in for what's been missing Can't fault his willingness and effort at all. But Thiago doing doggies up and down is neither his game nor what the intention was when we bought him. He's going to massive in this league the next few years all things being equal with players back allowing him to do what he was bought to do.

If it were down to me, Oxo-Chambo would defo be gone. God love him but injuries seem to have done for him. Whether he doesn't trust his body now or whatever it is, he's completely ineffective when he's not doing what he was so good at. Picking it up, beating a man, and opening everything up ahead of him.

Even if he was the only one who was moved out, I still think you have a good mix of vet. experience and younger guys.

For the former, you have the captain, Fabulous, Thiago, and (maybe) Wijnaldum at 31, 27, 30, and 30 respectively going into next season. All things considered, if they were rotated fairly equally, it gives scope for a few years yet to steadily phase them out without losing a drop-off in performance.

And then you've the unexpected bonus of this season's injuries, Curtis getting a full season under his belt. Naby Lad, God willing they've sorted his health issues out. And let's not forget Taki. So that's three players 26 or under heading into next season. The latter two who haven't really been able to contribute consistently and afford more rotation of the overworked vets. this year down to injury in Keits'a case and a horrendous, COVID disrupted write-off a first year in Taki's.

I wasn't including Milner's as he's one of them who get's to decide what he wants to do. I'd be sound if he stayed for his worth to the changies alone and the uber professional tone he sets for every one day in, day out. But his legs have naturally gone more than anyone else at 35. With 5 and a half Klopp season's in them to boot with all the ridiculous work we ask of our midfielders. So if he's sound staying and being a VERY deep squad filler, sound. If he wants to play somewhere and moves on, equally sound.

So, I personally look on it as those 6 (with Bobby maybe dropping back in there with a formation tweak for another option) being a stellar group of nice ages if rotated right and kept fresh for the interim even if we don't add anyone right now the middle corp.

And ideally, I wouldn't mind adding someone around 23/24 into that mix right now. Not to pick a specific name, just an example, someone like Houssem Aouar. Someone in that age bracket who ticks all the boxes. Which obviously becomes much more of a priority if Gini does leave.

That's how I'd look at it without being totally ruthless now and binning 2/3 and bringing the same in. Which isn't a necessity for me right now.

I think they'll defo be adding another top bracket CH this summer regardless of what happens with Davies/ Kabak/ Phillips, that they couldn't get last summer and have sat on. Maybe 2, if they don't keep Kabak and decide to cash in on Nat whilst his stock has soared. And you'd think another forward into the mix like Jota to give more options to keep things fresh there. 2/3 players. Thow in another midfielder and that's a sound window with the returning Elliott into the mix to boot.

All this reactionary narrative from the mediots and many SM clowns of a massive rebuild is being way dramatic and disingenuous to what we have already when they are healthy.

People have very short memories. VERY short memories indeed.

Last edited:
There really is a lot to be said for really scruffy 1-0's you've had to proper dog out. Even more so when you're bang out of form and the whole team has a collective off-night. Obviously not this season, but those are the games that win you titles.

Wearing the most satisfied smile today I've worn in weeks after a game. RBL included.

The squad knowing they have that ability in them again can only serve as a major positive for the run-in where performances now go out of the window and it's ALL about points. However you get them.

A boss timeline memory today. 5-years today since the single biggest Utd/ L'pool game without a trophy at stake in a final. On the biggest stage of all. Europe.

For a Euro 'away' in gloomy Manchester, an absolute belter of a night in a tie the P all over the CL games that round across Europe.

Great memories.

Puts a totally different complexion on a European draw when you aren't looking at the best trips you can have. 😟

So as we can't travel anywhere, and I'd NEVER back against L'pool under the European lights, even with the leveler of no fans, in order of preference on Friday I'd like-

City or Chelsea. We've scores to settle from this season against both and two legs in our competition would be just the stage to do that.

Dortmund. Naturally, a big attacking threat but can't defend to save their lives. Emre F Can is playing back there FFS!

Porto. Probably the weakest side left.

PSG are PSG. Just like 'Spurs will always be 'Spurs. Always on the cusp of a spectacular F up when they never should.

Madrid are Madrid and they come alive in the CL just like we do. Did I say our competition above? Whilst they're still in it, we concede it's theirs.

And Bayern are the best side in Europe currently along with City. But this is Europe so that rules City out of that discussion.

HATE the quarter-final draw.

Boss trip missed. 😡. And Madrid, like us, come alive in their competition. Always wary of them in the European Cup. But then folk in Madrid will be saying the exact same about pulling ourselves.

Ramos needed a wild Anfield to feel our full vengeance the despicable little rat!

LOVE the semi-draw. (Unless it's Porto and another boss trip is missed. 🤬). Doing the lowlife F's from Chelsea in another semi will be super sweet.

HATE the quarter-final draw.

Boss trip missed. 😡. And Madrid, like us, come alive in their competition. Always wary of them in the European Cup. But then folk in Madrid will be saying the exact same about pulling ourselves.

Ramos needed a wild Anfield to feel our full vengeance the despicable little rat!

LOVE the semi-draw. (Unless it's Porto and another boss trip is missed. 🤬). Doing the lowlife F's from Chelsea in another semi will be super sweet.
Nahhh I wanted them the most. Revenge.

Nahhh I wanted them the most. Revenge.

I hear yer but not the same though without 'welcoming' Ramos to ours in person. Shithouse will be retired before we get the chance of that. 😡

Mo will be absolutely buzzing like.

NO bigger tie in UEFA competition. ANY season. They'll be made up.