The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
So another Liverpool target goes else where...... are we really not worth signing for anymore... or can we just not afford/justify the wage demands these days.

What are everyones thoughts on Joe Cole? Last I heard he was on his way back to LFC.... is that still the same and if so do you think he could be a success under Rodgers?

When we give out large wages and transfer fees, everyone says we overspend. When we stick to our guns, and offer a set, reasonable wage, we're cheap, and no longer a big club.

Football, ey.

When we give out large wages and transfer fees, everyone says we overspend. When we stick to our guns, and offer a set, reasonable wage, we're cheap, and no longer a big club.

Football, ey.

Its relative. You lost out to Spurs, of all clubs they pay less than you in wages. You overpaid on players you shouldnt have, and missed out on player you need. Where's the balance?

Its relative. You lost out to Spurs, of all clubs they pay less than you in wages. You overpaid on players you shouldnt have, and missed out on player you need. Where's the balance?

Under different management

Under different management

So you overpaid under a previous regime, and look to have underpaid on a new one? Fair enough sticking to your guns if thats the case, but if the sticking point amounts to losing to Spurs (so we know we are not talking about crazy wages here, at the absolute maximum it would be 70k and we know it almost certainly wont be that because that match both Modric and Bale as top earners) for a player who is relatively close to a Gerrard replacement, i'm not sure its a good principle in this case.

Last edited:
Brendan Rodgers: "I believed playing football would be most important to him (Sigurdsson) but obviously it was important financially."

Meow

Agree with Mike on the wages paid, Times we have over spent and paid silly amounts

Now we have a target that wants reasonable wages, has a very good fee involved and has a brilliant English scoring record for a midfielder, we refuse to up the wages

Really think we missed out on this one...

"I knew what the market was and I wasn't prepared to pay anything over what I had known was agreed before."

Brendan Rodgers: "I believed playing football would be most important to him (Sigurdsson) but obviously it was important financially."

Meow

That's not the full quote though.

"He and I both sat and spoke and believed that playing football was going to be the most important aspect for him. But obviously it was important financially so we agreed a deal for him to go to Swansea and that was wrapped up.

And then,
I knew what the market was and I wasn't prepared to pay anything over what I had known was agreed before.

Well, that will never work out that way. At Swansea 15K would have made him one of the highest paid player but at Liverpool it might have made him earn less than (say)Shelvey.

That's not the full quote though.

And then,

Well, that will never work out that way. At Swansea 15K would have made him one of the highest paid player but at Liverpool it might have made him earn less than (say)Shelvey.

Agreed wage was 35k, Spurs came in with around 50k

Agreed wage was 35k, Spurs came in with around 50k

I was just giving example and i doubt Swansea agreed to pay 35k as that is what Rodgers said.

"I then became the Liverpool manager, and that then wasn't something that was going to happen at Swansea. So he then had a choice of where he wanted to go. I knew what the market was and I wasn't prepared to pay anything over what I had known was agreed before

I was just giving example and i doubt Swansea agreed to pay 35k as that is what Rodgers said.
Swansea were paying 6.5m to buy him so shown they were willing to spend a little more than normal
What was the fee? £8m? that and 50k per week for his quality. Fair enough if thats his priniciple, but thats a missed target there.
Somewhere around those marks... 22 in 51 at reading and 7 in 18 at swansea... Should have just paid 15k extra

He actually mentioned the wingplay at Spurs, with Lennon and Bale, and if you compare that to Liverpool with Downing and nobody on the right, then it's an easy decision to make really.

Swansea were paying 6.5m to buy him so shown they were willing to spend a little more than normal

Somewhere around those marks... 22 in 51 at reading and 7 in 18 at swansea... Should have just paid 15k extra

You cant replace Gerrard, but here was someone with that same style, still improving and for real value.

Back