The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
True West Brom are decent to be fair they're up there for a reason. Our team looks bereft of confidence and a predatorial instinct on the other hand and I don't really expect much from this team, which worries me as our better players such as Suarez and Reina will probably leave in the summer.

Not often i say i am embarrased, but tonight was different

Was just plain poor and exactly back to the Liverpool of end of last season/start of this

Think Rodgers needs to realise playing a midfielder behind Suarez does not work, we need another striker ( Sturridge or Borini ) up there with him.

Any faint hopes of a top 4 are now over, here's hoping for a 6th place finish

True West Brom are decent to be fair they're up there for a reason. Our team looks bereft of confidence and a predatorial instinct on the other hand and I don't really expect much from this team, which worries me as our better players such as Suarez and Reina will probably leave in the summer.

Sturridge makes this team, not neceserilly the player Sturridge is, but the fact he is a striker and stays in that position

The team is going places, only have to look at last month or so, but is paper thin in depth in key areas, Like the attack

Sturridge was carrying a knock I think Marshall my good man, although I agree with the notion that playing a striker with Suarez is key. Either that or we could have played Gerrard behind him and played Lucas and Allen in midfield?

Sturridge makes this team, not neceserilly the player Sturridge is, but the fact he is a striker and stays in that position

The team is going places, only have to look at last month or so, but is paper thin in depth in key areas, Like the attack

I agree we aren't bad first team wise but our depth is poor like I have told my friends several times throughout the season. Rodgers has done well this season and I think with more time to make signings our team will look stronger. Still let's just look ahead now and put it behind us.

Sturridge was carrying a knock I think Marshall my good man, although I agree with the notion that playing a striker with Suarez is key. Either that or we could have played Gerrard behind him and played Lucas and Allen in midfield?

Sturridge has a thigh injury

Suarez as the main striker still worries me going forward, think we need a striker alongside him as Suarez drifts everywhere

G.Nev picked it up at half time, when he received the ball deep or out wide, no-one was in the box.. exactly the problem we have had previously

I still think a front three of Borini, Suarez and Sturridge is our best bet though, what a difference one player makes!

LETHARGIC PERFORMANCE, CERTAIN PLAYERS JUST TURNED UP EXPECTING A WIN. it reminds me of evans era, good going forward, absolute dogshite defending.

You could tell by the line-up that we were never going to win. Oh well.

Why didn't you guys put Borini in Sturridge's place?

Its easy to say on reflection, in all honesty we did boss most the game so it seemed to be a decent decision until late on

But i agree, personally i would have kept with the system we were playing and played Borini as a main ST even if he was lacking in fitness or form

Reina
Glen - Carra - Skrtel - Enrique
Allen
Gerrard - Hendo
Sterling - Suarez - Downing

Line up v Zenit

Zenit XI vs Liverpool: Malafeev; Anyukov, Lombaerts, Neto, Hubocan; Witsel, Denisov, Shirokov; Hulk, Kerzhakov, Danny.

Strong line up, but again Suarez on his own, however this game i think will be about putting us in a good position for the 2nd leg.

Zenit also haven't played a competitive match since December, just friendlies

Zenit are deserving of their lead, edging us out in terms of quality. Great goal from Hulk.

A cross to the back post where all the defenders stand still and the striker scores?

Must be a bug.

Wow what a game. Argueably we deserved to win. Defence switched off for the first City goal, and Reina...well yeah.

I will say though, what a signing we have got in Sturridge! He hardly put a foot wrong today. We have looked a totally different team with him now. I feel we are playing the best football we have play in 2-3 years now.

We just lack that depth still. Like against Arsenal, come 60-70 minute, out high pressing tactic starts to take its toll on the players. Need to get a few more in in the summer and I feel we can start challenging for top 4 at the least.

Need I say this again. Always seems to be the way atm...

We played alright first 60 mins but like you have said we seem to capitulate in the latter stages of the match. Purely confidence issue imo.

Key Key signings need to be made in two areas.

Defensive Midfield - No-one is holding in this three, Lucas 9 times out of 10 would have been central to close down Hulk for the goal, and the amount of space Zenit have in front of our back four is scary

Striker - Sturridge is not enough, he is missing and we capitulate with no attack what so ever, Suarez tonight has had a shocker, however we cant always rely on him, he is going to have bad games

In terms of the Europa League, call me negative but with only a similar team available at Anfield, cannot see this being turned around

Back