The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Ah, true, and I believe Spearing will end up somewhere on loan probably...

So from 9 down to 5-6

Ah oh well... Too bad for Meireles though

Spearing won't go on loan, just be rotated in to the Lucas role for FA/Carling cup games, and perhaps for a right back role when it comes to it, he's pretty good there.

haha, I was just reading some stuff on the Liverpool forum about some other praise Guardiola has made about our academy, and someone commented saying that he obviously wants the job after Kenny :P

So, Guardiola has told this kid that the next best place to go as a kid after Barcelona, is Liverpool? ******* ****, that's quite a compliment when you think of teams like Arsenal, United etc.

Not quite, the article seems to misquote the kid. Guardiola said in an interview a week or two ago that after Barcelona's academy Liverpool's is probably the next best. Probably because we've now got the two people who have been instrumental in the Barcelona academy in recent years.

LFC Statement on stadium

LFC statement on stadium - Liverpool FC

Liverpool FC today made clear its frustration at the obstacles facing the potential re-development of Anfield.
anfield.jpg

The Club has been comprehensively exploring all options open to it in terms of new stadium development or expansion, which has included a study into the refurbishment of both its Main and Anfield Road Stands to increase capacity beyond 60,000 seats.
Managing Director Ian Ayre said: "In the nine months since the new ownership, an enormous amount of work has been undertaken in conjunction with leading architects, consultants, other industry experts and with Liverpool City Council to explore the building of a new stadium as well as exploring a refurbishment solution that could deliver the necessary growth in capacity, whilst maintaining the heritage and atmosphere that make Anfield uniquely Liverpool FC. However, with land/property acquisition, environmental and statutory issues creating barriers to our ambition, it looks increasingly unlikely there is any way we can move forward on a refurbishment of Anfield unless there are significant changes in those areas."

Commenting further on the options open to the Club, Ayre explained: "In terms of a Stanley Park stadium versus redevelopment, there is absolutely no question that a refurbishment of Anfield would come at a significantly lower cost than a new build. A new stadium of course also has its merits, being modern, more functional, and easier to construct. However, a new 60,000 capacity ground also comes at a significantly higher price, while at the same time only delivering roughly the same amount of revenue as a refurbishment of Anfield - with both options offering an uplift of approximately 16,000 seats each."
Added Ayre: "It's disappointing that based on where we are at the moment, we seem to be unable to press on with the more viable economic option of a refurbishment, but we remain committed to finding the best possible long-term solution. We already have a very healthy dialogue in place with several leading brands regarding naming rights for a new stadium, but like every major deal we have ever done, that just takes time to explore in full. We also have ongoing discussions with various parties around the financing of either facility. Our challenge now is to try to find a way to bring all of those elements together in a solution that is in the best interests of Liverpool Football Club and its fans.

"We are mindful that supporters have been promised a solution in the past and have been disappointed, and also that local residents would like to know what direction we are headed in. However, just like any other business, we can only proceed as and when we are clear on all elements and we will not be forced to make a decision that is not in the best long-term interests of our club and we will not make any promises to our fans that we cannot keep. We will continue to work diligently on this project and keep our fans informed of any progress."

Council leader Joe Anderson said: "We recognise that Liverpool FC need to make the right decision on the stadium options, and it is crucial that it is not only the right one for the club but also for local residents.
"We fully appreciate that the new owners have made real progress over the past nine months since they took over, and we will continue to support what they are trying to deliver. However, it is unfortunately the reality that the debate and discussions over a new stadium have gone on for many years, causing a great deal of frustration and uncertainty within the local community.

"Although we are fully supportive of the club, we can't ignore the fact that the clock is and has been ticking, and people need certainty about the development.
"We will do what we can to continue to help the club, and I can reassure people that we will be pressing for a decision as soon as is practically possible that will benefit Liverpool FC and deliver the much needed regeneration that the area so badly needs."

Looks like we will be taking the lease on Stanley park...
Surely though we would consider an additional 10k seats to bring us to 70k?
Might cost an Extra 20-30M for the design but would be cheaper than deciding in a few years we want to expand. 60k isnt a lot considering
Liverpools fan base...

Looks like we will be taking the lease on Stanley park...
Surely though we would consider an additional 10k seats to bring us to 70k?
Might cost an Extra 20-30M for the design but would be cheaper than deciding in a few years we want to expand. 60k isnt a lot considering
Liverpools fan base...

Redevelopment needs to take into consideration the loss of revenue in closing a stand each season for demolition & a new build. I'd like us to stay at Anfield but whether FSG are prepared to take the financial hit of us playing at the stadium & redeveloping it at the same time is another matter entirely. Naming rights on an entirely new venue would reduce enormously it's building cost; renaming Anfield is unthinkable.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the guy in charge at the council is an Everton fan, meaning that there is no way on earth that he would agree for the planning for a redevelopment to Anfield. It'd be in his best interests for us to build a new ground meaning we'd need to look at the local area as well.

From a Liverpool fan POV, as nice as it would be staying at Anfield, I can only look towards a new stadium to be honest; if we want to catch up with Arsenal/United capacity/corporate wise, we need to build a new stadium.

Pretty sure the guy in charge at the council is an Everton fan, meaning that there is no way on earth that he would agree for the planning for a redevelopment to Anfield. It'd be in his best interests for us to build a new ground meaning we'd need to look at the local area as well.

From a Liverpool fan POV, as nice as it would be staying at Anfield, I can only look towards a new stadium to be honest; if we want to catch up with Arsenal/United capacity/corporate wise, we need to build a new stadium.

Andersred did a blog about this a few months back, and it looks like once again he's been spot on

the andersred blog: Liverpool’s 2009/10 results underline the challenges Fenway face

Can't imagine going to an entirely new stadium on match-day's. Leaving Anfield will be very weird, and very, very emotional.

FootyLatest:
Tottenham will swoop for Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole if Luka Modric quits for Chelsea.

Fun rumour. Now don't start singing "Please Chelsea sign Modric"!

Contrary to popular opinion, I desperately hope we sign Downing this summer; even if it is for £20m then he would make the most of Carroll being in the team, also to be honest, I can't think of any wingers, apart from Valencia & Nani that are better than him really. Would be a very good signing imo.

Downing hasn't joined Twitter.

Warning anyone now:
If anyone shouts abuse at him I will find you, detach your balls from your body and make you eat them.

Not to Liverpool fans in particular,

Twitter

Beloved Stewie, hope you go to Liverpool you deserve it :wub:

Other bit of info on Stewie in regards to him or N'Zogbia debate:
Downing is one of the best assist makers in the Premier League, and his European assists are unbelievable for us as well as in an England shirt his assist rate is phenomenal. European Final experience! Perfect Liverpool LW especially for Carroll.

Edit: Going to find out which sad SOB faked Stewies account and tear him a new *hole, sad people on Twitter...

Last edited:
Downing just joined Twitter.

Warning anyone now:
If anyone shouts abuse at him I will find you, detach your balls from your body and make you eat them.

Not to Liverpool fans in particular,

Twitter

Beloved Stewie, hope you go to Liverpool you deserve it :wub:

Other bit of info on Stewie in regards to him or N'Zogbia debate:
Downing is one of the best assist makers in the Premier League, and his European assists are unbelievable for us as well as in an England shirt his assist rate is phenomenal. European Final experience! Perfect Liverpool LW especially for Carroll.

How do you know it's real? Not verified, no one's vouched for it?

How do you know it's real? Not verified, no one's vouched for it?

Should be verified by the end of the day he said, Journalists seem to think its real
BUT your right, sad people out there it could be fake,

If its real I imagine AVFC Official will tweet its real/fake anytime soon anyway

Looks like it was fake...*cking *ck *ck *cked *ck.

Last edited:
Like Jordan Henderson & Gael Clichy before it, Stewart Downing's Twitter account is a fake set up by a chronic attention seeker #AVFC #LFC
RichardBuxton.

Faaaaake =O

What I said I would do to anyone who threw virtual *rap at the real SD...Im going to find out who it is and tear him a new *cking *hole.

I guessed it was fake after you said, checked the followers and Bent wasnt there and he was following AVFC unofficial stuff

#annoyed.

[video=youtube;s8LPRNRxm0Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8LPRNRxm0Q[/video]

Haha

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Meireles pledges to stay
Portuguese playmaker not looking for Anfield exit

Liverpool's Raul Meireles insists he will be playing for the club this season despite question marks over his future.

Manager Kenny Dalglish has brought in two midfielders in the shape of Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam, leading some to believe that Meireles could be offloaded.

Serie A giants Inter Milan are reportedly keen on ex-Porto man Meireles, however, he has no thoughts about quitting Anfield for pastures new this summer.

On the club's pre-season tour of China, when asked if he would still be a Liverpool player this coming season, he replied: "Of course."

Boost

Meireles has also been troubled by an ankle problem, but he says he is on the mend, adding: "I have a little problem with my ankle, but I've start training today. It's a little problem."

Meanwhile, the club's record signing Andy Carroll is looking to hit the ground running this term after arriving with an injury following his £35million capture from Newcastle.
"It was disappointing since I signed being injured. Getting myself back fit," said the England international.

"Now I'm getting myself fit I'm looking forward to the start of season, which should be successful."

Back