The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I mentioned it on the last page. I fully expect him to become the next young player to make the break through to the First Team.

Hoping for 3 more signings this window. Doni for back up, a left back either Cissoko or Enrique by the looks of it and a winger Downing or Mata. If we could get those 3 positions id be very happy about our chances next season :)

We need a decent CB also; Agger though excellent is I-P. Carra & Soto both lack pace & aren't getting any younger. Skrtel is inconsistent. I wonder if Kelly will get a run in his favoured position this season ?

Last edited:
We need a decent CB also; Agger though excellent is I-P. Carra & Soto both lack pace & aren't getting any younger. Skrtel is inconsistent. I wonder if Kelly will get a run in his favoured poition this season ?

Thats what I was thinking. Carra will play once he is fit. Johnson will be on the right and new LB on the other flank. That leaves one free spot. I imagine Kelly will get the other spot with Agger and Skretel will be rotated while we also have Flanno,Robinson,Coady and Wisdom all hoping to make the step up. If were serious about our progress we have to give the young ones a chance and not flood the team with imports. All 4 youngsters have the potential to make the grade and they should be given a chance. This way we have 2 players for each defensive position once we get a first team LB. :)

Don't forget Danny Wilson. (If he's staying)

some fan has started a petiotion for john henry to sign mata
facepalm6.gif

twitition - The Signing of Juan Mata Petition

Yeah i saw... Really, REALLY sad... oO)

Thomas Ince is supposedly signing for Fulham for 250k.

He any good?

Hes a good pacey winger/striker that seems to lack a bit of killer instinct. If he is given a chance he could develop but was never going to make the grade for us. Wish him all the best.
PS: Lauri DelaValle is much better than him. Not as fast but has an eye for goal

Thomas Ince is supposedly signing for Fulham for 250k.

He any good?

Pretty good, all pace with no real product, under the right guidance could do well. But his surname goes before him.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

Great Friday night, re-run of Istanbul. Just on pens now, Smicer <3

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

"ooooooooooooooooooooooooh liverpool, they've done it, they've only gone and done it. The underdogs that no one gave a chance, are european champions, in the most dramatic fashion!"

when i watched it for the first time in months the other week it brought a tear to my eye, one word to describe that match = epic.

Pelosi: "I have been told by the current Barcelona coach,If you don't go to Barca, the second-best place to develop is at #LFC."

Marc Pelosi, regarded by many as the top high school boys soccer player in the United States, thought he had finished his recruiting process when he verbally committed to UCLA.

Now, however, he has a much-bigger decision: Liverpool F.C. has offered him a chance to go pro and join one of the world's top organizations.

Marc Pelosi can play as either a defender or an attacking midfielder.
"It's a great feeling," he told topdrawersoccer.com.

And a big decision for the 17-year-old from Sunnyvale, Calif.

"I have been told the current Barcelona coach said that, 'If you don't go to Barcelona, the second-best place to develop is at Liverpool.' It's a great, top notch organization," he said.

"Right now, I want to make sure that wherever I go I am in the right place where there is a balance between training and playing high-level matches. And I want to ensure I can continue my education."

He has said he hopes to decide in the next few weeks. If he turns pro, he will join the development program of the English Premier League club.

Pelosi, 6-0, 170 pounds, can play both defender and attacking midfielder with the type of skills that have made him the No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2012 by topdrawersoccer (see top 100).

He has been a regular on U.S. national teams for years and joined the residency program in Bradenton, Fla., in the fall of 2009. He was the captain of the team when the U.S. advanced to the Round of 16 in the FIFA U-17 World Cup earlier this month. He had two goals and two assists to help the U.S. qualify for the event.

"It's a great feeling knowing that the work I have put in the last few years, and especially the last two years in the U-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Florida, has paid huge dividends," Pelosi said. "I think it has been a great benefit being able to play against professional and International teams, as well as playing in big stadiums in front of large crowds."

And while life in Europe may be daunting for some 17-year-olds, it wouldn't be for Pelosi. He was born in Baden, Germany.

According to the report, he has spent many summers in Europe competing with youth teams. He also competed with the Borussia Monchengladbach club based in North Rhine-Westphalia.

So, Guardiola has told this kid that the next best place to go as a kid after Barcelona, is Liverpool? ******* ****, that's quite a compliment when you think of teams like Arsenal, United etc.

Just seen a few youtube Videos of him and he looks very promising :)

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

So, Guardiola has told this kid that the next best place to go as a kid after Barcelona, is Liverpool? ******* ****, that's quite a compliment when you think of teams like Arsenal, United etc.

Yeah, its not unusual though as we have a similar Academy to Barca. And we showed last season we give our youngsters a chance to develop. After Barcelona we have the next best youth setup :)

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Bad news:
Liverpool's principal owner John Henry has admitted their preferred option of redeveloping Anfield may not be possible as there are 'so many obstacles'.

Owners Fenway Sports Group have been considering how to solve the ground dilemma since their £300million takeover of the Reds last October.

A revamp of Anfield has always seemed more likely than building the new stadium in Stanley Park, which former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett promised but failed to deliver.

However, there are major cost and logistical issues associated with rebuilding stands at Anfield in order to boost the Reds' 45,000 capacity.

As a result the focus has now turned to the global search for a naming rights partner for a potential new stadium which FSG announced back in May.

A bumper deal like the one just secured by Manchester City would pay a significant chunk of the £300million construction costs.

"Anfield would certainly be our first choice," said Henry via Twitter. "But realities may dictate otherwise. So many obstacles..."

Liverpool City Council has recently granted the club an extra three months to decide whether or not they will take up the option of a 999-year lease for the Stanley Park site.

In theory that gives the Reds until September to make a decision.

Liverpool have insisted the feasibility study into refurbishing Anfield is ongoing and that both options open to them are still being considered.

Just seen a few youtube Videos of him and he looks very promising :)

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

Yeah, its not unusual though as we have a similar Academy to Barca. And we showed last season we give our youngsters a chance to develop. After Barcelona we have the next best youth setup :)

Yeah, but considering we haven't really produced anyone since the likes of Stevie and Carra, I was quite suprised. I thought he'd rate Arsenal or United's as one of the best. Like I said, quite high praise there from Pep (or at least, I'd consider it to be). Especially when something like 8 of the world cup winning side came from La Masia.

Yeah, but considering we haven't really produced anyone since the likes of Stevie and Carra, I was quite suprised. I thought he'd rate Arsenal or United's as one of the best. Like I said, quite high praise there from Pep (or at least, I'd consider it to be). Especially when something like 8 of the world cup winning side came from La Masia.

Yeah but Since Borrell came in there has been a lot of praise for our academy. Nice to get the recognition from the Best club in the world at the minute :)

Borell was Barcelona youth coach, and Guardiola seems to like Liverpool, sure I've seen other praise from him of LFC. I'll have a quick Google.

I wasn't imagining it!
Guardiola is quoted as telling Catalan radio: “Liverpool Academy is the only one who can compete at "La Masia". If they can manage those lads, then maybe 20 star players can arrive from that academy.”

Yeah, I guess a lot of it is down to Borell. & It looks like he's doing a good job

How much midfielders does Liverpool have this season? Central midfielders anyway

Gerrard, Poulsen, Lucas, Aquilani, Shelvey, Raul Meireles, Henderson, Charlie Adam, Spearing

2 More Midfielders and you can make a squad of 11 players, I just wouldn't know which one of the midfielders to put on goal, maybe Poulsen?

Definetely wouldn't want Meireles to leave..

How much midfielders does Liverpool have this season? Central midfielders anyway

Gerrard, Poulsen, Lucas, Aquilani, Shelvey, Raul Meireles, Henderson, Charlie Adam, Spearing

2 More Midfielders and you can make a squad of 11 players, I just wouldn't know which one of the midfielders to put on goal, maybe Poulsen?

Definetely wouldn't want Meireles to leave..

Indeed, well Poulsen's leaving, Shelvey will hopefully get a loan, Meireles is on his way out, he's not even in the pre-season tour squad, and he's not injured. Henderson'll probably be used as a winger imo.

So that leaves Gerrard, Lucas, Aquilani, Adam, Spearing, Henderson (when needed); which looks much more handable :D

i think he might play henderson on rm an i defo want poulsen gone shelvey may go out on lone

Indeed, well Poulsen's leaving, Shelvey will hopefully get a loan, Meireles is on his way out, he's not even in the pre-season tour squad, and he's not injured. Henderson'll probably be used as a winger imo.

So that leaves Gerrard, Lucas, Aquilani, Adam, Spearing, Henderson (when needed); which looks much more handable :D

Ah, true, and I believe Spearing will end up somewhere on loan probably...

So from 9 down to 5-6

Ah oh well... Too bad for Meireles though

Back