The Liverpool Thread

Immediately thought of this with it being Utd tomorrow.

Like a ballerina.

**** watching him here is like everything has been maxed out. Faster, stronger and more skillful than anyone on the pitch. I love our front three but he would bench them all
Edit: Considering youve seen it all Scouse would you say Barnes is the most talented player we've had?

Last edited:
to think phil went for over 100m what would barnes go for today

Prime Barnes. Like the first 2/3 years when he was the best player in Europe bar none.Gullit, Maradona, Platini et al included .....

Jesus. Priceless. Wouldn’t even like to think today. Be like putting Messi on the market.

**** watching him here is like everything has been maxed out. Faster, stronger and more skillful than anyone on the pitch. I love our front three but he would bench them all
Edit: Considering youve seen it all Scouse would you say Barnes is the most talented player we've had?

Defo for me.

I mean Kenny is always #1 for all he means to the City and club. He just transcends everything. But the most naturally gifted player I’ve seen in Red is Digger.

Those first 2/3 years mate, he was the best in Europe. It was literally give it Barnes and he’ll beat 5 men and score himself. Or he’ll beat 5 men and put in on a plate for Aldo. He was unplayable. The opposition just couldn't get the ball off him. He was a real stocky fella which made it all the madder: as he just used to glide across the pitch like a ballerina with the ball glued to his feet. His free-kick taking man. Effortless ...... And he couldn't half head a ball too. Used to be a standing joke the number of times the divvy's on TV would say 'a rare headed goal from John Barnes.' What, another one? Even after the hammy injury when his pace went and he moved into central midfield he was immense. Completely reinvented himself to have another 5 or 6 years. Like Gini now, you just couldn’t get the ball off him as he sprayed it around all over.

Yanno, me and a mate totally changed our position on the Kop down to that man. Always stood the middle, just inside the right-hand post. bout 3/4's up. Same speck every home game. But he was THAT good, we moved the Kemmy side just so we'd be directly in front of him when was coming down the left wing attacking the Kop goal.

But the best thing of all with JohnnyBarnes, above and beyond what a majestic footballer he was (England's most talented ever IMHO. Only Gascoigne had that much natural ability but he ****** it away), he was an even better man who totally broke the racism problem at Anfield. Which, as mad as it seems for what you know is the most multi-cultural, openly welcoming City in the Country, we had it proper bad. But Johnnie Barnes was THAT good, even the most bigoted racist had to change their views. I remember one of his first home games, against Oxford. (He scored a free kick in that BTW like that Roberto Carlos goal that pre-World cup tourney in France. Set out toward the corner flag then bent back wickedly. Alan Judge never seen it. Never mind moved.) This myth had grown about how brilliant he'd been the first 3 games, all away from home, that unless you were there you'd not seen. But there was still this unease the Kop from those deep-rooted who didn't want a black player in the side. Anyway, the usual shout from the away end went upat some point of 'Who's the Scouser in the black?!' at the ref. And the immediate response was 'Johnny Barnes, Johnnry Barnes, Johnny Barnes; Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes, Johnny Barnes; Johnny Barnes, JOHNNY BARNES!' Then you knew things were changing and he'd been accepted as one of our own.

Another mark of the man was a few years back I went to a do with him and Didi Hamman. Real officious bollocks were they were only supposed to sign things if you'd paid extra on the stage. Hamman, from this generation, literally did the bare minimum. Had the talk, Signed a few things. Then got straight off. But as soon as he went and it was officially over, Digger was down among the crowd going around everyone and signing everything/ having photies taken. He couldn't have been better and stayed back ages after. Top, TOP fella.

Bonafide all-time great World-class footballer. Convinced, without the ban, if those sides had been in Europe we'd be sat with at least 8 or 9 European Cups now and he'd have been the star through most of them.

Talking how bad it was back then, when he scored this stunner, against Brazil, in the Maracana, that had the Brazilians fawning over him, the England cockwombles who were on the same flight as the players would only class it as a 1-0 win with Mark Hately scoring. I know right?

And just because-

The second goal alone, against QPR, who were top the league going into that game (virtue of the plastic pitch) ..... Absolute God-given genius.

Last edited:
There's todays teamtalk sorted.

Not too smart this fella ay?

1579429570243.png

All things being equal, it’d be really nice to give this Utd shambles the licking it deserves. Like a 4/5 goal licking. The gap between the two clubs has NEVER been this wide since back the 70's when Utd went down. With this being the poorest quality Utd side in living memory. Fast regressing to obscurity under a manager who is as out of his depth as any big club manager anyone can ever remember.

But this is L’pool and Utd. Still the biggest game in World football, where the form book goes out the window and it rarely plays out as it should.

If this Utd squad has ANY pride, they’ll be going all out to end our unbeaten league season/ 3-year unbeaten home league record. But then you fully expect nothing other than the Norwegian PE teacher to do what he’s done both games he’s played against Klopp's L’pool and have them pull a Burnley. With the one constant fear of De Gea pulling his usual L’pool Superman act again and saving them as he has in SO many of these games.

You shouldn’t with these historical Reds, at fortress Anfield, against the mid-table side that Utd now are. (As close to 10th as 4th as I type.). But by the very nature of it being Utd and all that entails in this rivalry, as always, you go in with caution.

I’ll err on a hard grafted 3-1.

Up today's game new record-breaking Reds!

Winning the CL has elevated the players to another level. You can see it in them the mentality has changed. Ive never seen an LFC side this mentally strong. Even if united had scored im sure we wouldve still won as the game management from this group is perfect. Would you bet against us to do a CL and PL double? Who can beat us over two legs im Europe im not sure. I dont think Klopp has even lost a two legged European tie with us. Said it before if it was possible in life to know if it was the good times or not well for me this is it. Best team in World football.

Every time I watch Allison play, I swear he gets better and better, and I didnt even think that was possible.

He's gonna' end up with the Golden Gloves award again isn't he and he missed the first two months of the season! (Yanno, 'lucky' L'pool with no key injuries and all that. ;)).

What makes that even better are the ridiculous amount of challenges/ recoveries the midfield in particular wins.

But on the other hand, it's probably down to the authorities doing everything in their power to hand us the league/ L'pool buying off all the officials/ VAR being brought in specifically to aid L'pool (after the initial claim was it would F L'pool's cheat's up)/ whatever the latest, pathetic rhetoric is to try denigrate the mad achievements of one of the greatest sides ever seen.

Yanno, there's a delicious irony here.

For years, it's been ridiculously thrown our way from opposition fans that they didn't want us to win #19 as we'd be totally 'unbearable' and they'd never hear the end of it.

Whereas the only 'unbearable' ones are those very same opposition fans who can't deal with L'pool dominating and are all cliff jumping. Coming up with every childish, bat **** crazy conspiracy theory they can to try cope with that.

Well that was worth freezing yer bollocks off for on a Thursday night.

Absolutely superb, MASSIVE win.

Kudos to Wolves. They're the 4th best side in the league for me and boy did they give us a heck of a battle again. I didn't think we'd have to work harder than what Sheffield United made us work but both games against these have taken everything we've had. And both games Wolves deserved to draw. I thought they were incredibly hard done to at Anfield with the ridiculous 'off-side' goal chalked off. (I know under the rules as they currently stand he's off. But that's another area where the rules and VAR are failing SO spectacularly. They are going TOTALLY against the spirit of the game. Most rationale fans, particularly those in the ground that night, would happily of given Wolves their 'goal.' When you're trying to split hairs, over a literally a hairs breath of someone being off, then something is INHERENTLY wrong with the whole process.). And last night they gave us well arguably our toughest game all season long in what was a scrap and a half. But made for a super enjoyable game of football with some real special goals. Wolves equaliser was a top drawer break. Set up by Traore who terrorised at least three of our back 4 all night. (I think Trent was the only one he didn't come into direct contact with.). When he adds the end product to the rapid pace and power that lad takes some serious stopping. All to be topped off by another ridiculous goal from our 'King of the Road' Bobby Firmino. Which sent our end into absolute ecstasy. Man did that go off and then some. Just a collage of arms, legs and twisted bodies. I even got a kiss from the kid in front in the carnage to add to the brilliant madness to reinforce just why you do it and just why this game is the greatest sport on Earth bar none!

Wolves were superb. But the mentality of these lads was better than that. They not only won't settle for not being beaten. They won't settle for anything less than the win 9 times out of 10. I've never seen anything like these greedy btards in that regard haha.

A few stand-outs from another superb, all-round team display-

Pity the clean-sheet run didn't reach 8 straight games but it took a special, special goal to finally beat Alisson who was stellar again.

As he has been ever since Matip went down, JMG was simply outstanding. Again. We not only have the best CH in World football bar none in big Virg, but we have the best partnership anywhere bar none. With a lad who, lest we forget at still only 22, is the bonafide heir apparent to VVD's lofty status.

Talking young phenoms, Trent became the first defender in PL history to record back-to-back seasons of double-figure assists. With no player in Europe having assisted more from dead-ball situations this season.

And honestly, if there's been a better player in the PL over the last 2 months than Jordan Henderson I want to know of him? Another utterly dominant leadership display when yet again he was by far the hardest working, fittest player on the park. Topped off with a goal and an assist. It's probably come too late to the National attention of just how good he's been consistently playing all year for this. Along with people madly just looking at the flashy stats of goals and assists. But he'd get my vote for player of the year in the PL. He's been ridiculous in both the 8 and 6 positions this year. The latter of which, he's been THAT good that we've not missed Fabinho, arguably the top #6 in World football in his own right, one iota over the past two months in his absence. (What's that line about L'pool not suffering key injuries again?). Can't wait until May when we get the Jordan shuffle picking up #19. A GENUINE L'pool legend and the absolutely mad fact that he STILL has his detracters among (so-called) L'pool 'fans' is making what he's consistently doing all the sweeter. Here's to MANY more seasons of our Captain leading us to glory.

40 league games and counting unbeaten man. Joint third all-time with Chelsea in 2004-05 in English top-flight history. Only Arsenal's Invincibles (49 games), and Forest back in 1977 through 1978 (42 games. Which, ironically, we ended at Anfield), have had longer unbeaten runs. Would anyone put money on this phenomenal gang of Reds NOT smashing this into oblivion past the 50 mark?

And 14 straight wins and counting. To add to the 17 straight before that was separated by the Utd draw. City's18 straight all-time English top-flight record is WELL within their sights now again.

And now a full week off for all last nights eleven before West Ham. God help David Moyes Football GENIUS and his shower!

Up the Bobby dazzler Reds!

Last edited: