The Liverpool Thread

Dont understand why Klopp didnt play a full string side tonight and instead rotate against Bournemouth at home. Leagues already won and this was a chance to go further in a cup we should be winning. Really hope we destroy Atletico next Tuesday otherwise it will be shaping up to be a boring end of the season.

He was definitely a good manager once. But from Invincibles and onwards he became complacent and his football was stuck in the early 2000s much like PL managers were stuck in the 1980s when he first arrived.
He failed in Europe that Arsenal team of the early 2000s should have won a European cup. His first 10 years were outstanding but like you said he stagnated and was to stubborn with his football and loyal to the wrong players. I mean anyone whos watched the IT crowd will know the Arsenal joke was still valid ten years later as Walcott was still knocking about for them.

Dont understand why Klopp didnt play a full string side tonight and instead rotate against Bournemouth at home. Leagues already won and this was a chance to go further in a cup we should be winning. Really hope we destroy Atletico next Tuesday otherwise it will be shaping up to be a boring end of the season.

Can't argue with that side mate. It was stronger than I expected with AndyRobbo, Sadio and big Virg playing. And should have had more than enough to beat a Chelsea side who were far from great themselves. But, for some reason, we never turned up.

4 in the AM. An ungodly hour to finally be getting home.

Utter *****. No other way to describe that. From the lethargic, no urgency, real poor all-around performance on the pitch, through the manager and his badly timed substitutions off it, just utter ***** collectively. And not much better off the park with some of the absolute no-marks with tickets our end and faces/ voices you've never seen before narking and chatting absolute wham instead of getting behind the side.

As a Hillsborough survivor, it always hurts like H ell every year we don't win the Cup. They aren't, as I don't believe we ever go out to purposefully lose a game of football. It's utter nonsense talk that 'Klopp wants out fo the domestic cups etc.' But it always feels like every last one of them has MASSIVELY let us down terribly again every year they don't bring that magnificent old trophy home with all it irrevocably means to this football club and City. I'll get it over it but this one will sting badly for a good few days.

Need to take this out on Bournemouth Saturday now and proper volley them all over in an up-tempo performance to shake us out of this current malaise to set us up for Atlético.

Up the Pool. Mighty Reds!

Last edited:

Trophy not even in the cabinet yet, and already it's boring :)

Along with Neco and Curtis, I thought he was the only other one to come out with any semblance of credit from Tuesday's complete no-show at Chelsea-

What's been really interesting to me is Klopp apparently sees him in the Bobby role. Being as he's played there every time he's played thus far with the more recognised striker Origi wide. (Bar him dropping back into more of a 10 when Bobby has come off the bench. Ala Tuesday.).

If it's possible, given his darts forward along with dropping into the 10 area and wider, he's offers even more dynamism than the ridiculous Brazilian does. Which leaves it really interesting as to what we do with Rhian moving forward and any 'proposed' signing. (Sancho/ Werner et al.). Will they be more used as outside forwards coming in backing up Sadio and Mo with Minamino the like-for-like with Bobby the middle?

Nice problem to work out. One things for sure. In his brief appearances to date, you can tell the Japanese kids a proper intelligent, elegant footballer who works his backside off. He'll fit right in here when he's fully up to speed with what we do.

Nerves.

Nerves are a complex paradox, aren't they? Particularly when it comes to following a sports team.

Today, on the one hand, I totally got why the majority of the crowd were biting their collective nails and counting down the minutes to the final whistle. A 30-year title drought will do that to folk.

On the other, and I fall into this category, I don't get any nerves personally now with this gang of ridiculous Reds. At all. They've shown time and again that 9 times out of 10, they'll work it out and find a way to win the game. As they did yet again this dinner from a losing position.

So as much as I understand the very noticeable nerves in the crowd ..... I don't as that's just not me. Shrugs.

Nerves. They're a complex paradox.

Ultimately, another superb three points, coming off the mini-dip we've been on, that we really had to graft for. To come from behind, off the back of the last week, and 3 defeats the last 4 games, and still find a way to win, is testament to the ridiculous mentality in this group. Lesser sides would have crumbled and dropped more points. But, whilst still not being anywhere near our best, we dug in, sorted it out, and ground out another mammoth win. You get NO extra points for style. Getting over the line is ALL that counts at this stage of the run-in. It's rarely free-flowing from here on in. Trust me. Us arl arses who can remember L'pool winning titles can testify to that. You just make sure you do enough for the points and move on to the next game. And now, we only 9 more of those glorious points to bring #19 home!

Two superb goals. Particularly Mo's who just continues to carve up the record books-

142 total games. 129 goal involvements. (91 goals/ 38 assists.).
100 PL games. 94 goal involvements. (70 goals/ 24 assists.).
First Red to hit 20 or more in a season three straight years in 17 years. (Michael Owen back between 2000-2003.).
He's now scored more goals his first 100 league games for L'pool than Fowler, Owen, Suarez and Torres.
He's now 18th all-time in total goals for Liverpool. In the PL era, only Barnes and Rush, who cross over from the arl First Division, and Gerrard, Fowler and Owen have more.
This is his THIRD season at the football club.

And yet people STILL nark about him and would happily flip him this summer for the next shiny new toy. Absolute madness that I will NEVER understand. Genuine, bona fide World-Class Superstar we are SO privileged to be experiencing in our colours.

I've been lucky enough this season to see the two best goal-line clearances I've ever seen in nigh on 4 decades going the match. Kyle Walkers ridiculous one the season opener at Wembley from Mo. And my MOTM, today's captain James Milner saving Adrian's blushes with a similar miraculous clearance to preserve all our points. Milner was exactly what we missed in Tuesday's abject display at Chelsea. Someone to put a foot in where it hurts and up the tempo massively. Driving the team on constantly from LB as he popped up all over the park. Super display. Shout out to his midfield compadres Gini and Oxo-Chambo who contributed massively to the final outcome with there none stop endeavour. Closely followed by Mo who was a constant threat upfront. And who again took a serious, unpunished kicking all game.

The less said about both the ridiculous state of Bournemouth's goal being allowed to stand and the overall abject refereeing display the better.

To round up today's admin-
55 PL games and counting unbeaten at Fortress Anfield. (W45 D10 F143 A 32 32 Clean Sheets.).
A new English top-flight record of 22 consecutive home league wins set. Breaking our own 1972 vintage's achievement.

All the best Atléti Wednesday night!

''IF' you come through that, you'll have proper earned progression. Not at all worried personally about that one. Anfield, under the European lights, takes care of its self more often than not. Be a TOTALLY different game from us when the arl place is rocking as only she can. And man will it be off the charts WILD Wednesday night. Can't WAIT!

But for today, another win down. 3 more to go!

Up the 19 times English Champions Elect Reds!

Last edited:
Thats why one of Hendo or Milner is needed in the first team when the other doesnt play. Its a different kind of leadership they dont let heads drop or let panic ensure. I love Virgil but he is naturally laidback and thats not the kind of leadership needed when the team needs a kick up the **** and upping of the tempo. He is great in leading the backline and coaching Gomez through the game but being asked to lead the whole team is not something that suits Virgils personality imo.

Thats why one of Hendo or Milner is needed in the first team when the other doesnt play. Its a different kind of leadership they dont let heads drop or let panic ensure. I love Virgil but he is naturally laidback and thats not the kind of leadership needed when the team needs a kick up the **** and upping of the tempo. He is great in leading the backline and coaching Gomez through the game but being asked to lead the whole team is not something that suits Virgils personality imo.

SO glad he's extended through 2022. Not even concerned if Leeds come up that he'll leave.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a coaching job at some level here.

He's a special fella. Never mind footballer. And you want to keep those ones around as long as you can.

SO glad he's extended through 2022. Not even concerned if Leeds come up that he'll leave.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a coaching job at some level here.

He's a special fella. Never mind footballer. And you want to keep those ones around as long as you can.
I want to give him his swan song at his hometown club but Im selfish I would keep him as long as he wants to stay. I didn't even see this when I made my comment earlier but it reiterates my point. Its a different kind of leadership that him and Hendo provide and we miss it when one of them isn't on the field. Even his goal saving clearence he said aftwerwards he shodve tracked frasers run lol.

So if City fail to win the next 2, we can clinch the title at Goodison.

The Ev's worst nightmare is coming to reality haha.

The major news is this should hopefully buy us a week or so's grace at least so we get to see the title clinched live at either Everton or the following Palace game.

After that is anyone's guess? I'll be shocked if we get through the remainder of the campaign without drastic action being taken. But how they'll stop people tipping up around the grounds at pubs etc I just don't know?

And Christ knows what will happen to the quarter-finals in Europe with games falling by the wayside to fans already. Seem's a mad scenario to have three thousand or so fans from Spain/ Madrid coming to both L'pool and Manchester over the next two midweeks with Spain on the brink of an emergency lockdown and reported cases/ deaths in Madrid spiking sharply.

The title parade has next to no chance of happening surely? Which is a real shame but the seriousness of this pandemic has to be top priority over anything else.

Tomorrow's 23's PL International Cup game has been pulled as Wolfsburg are unwilling to travel right now-

Our 'loveable' neighbours-

fullsizeoutput_319.jpeg

Yanno, if Evertonians supported their own team with as much vigour and enthusiasm as they put into obsessing about L'pool they might actually get somewhere.

Blues thinking we're out of Europe already ..... They do realise this is only half-time right with a cauldron of a second half to come tomorrow evening?

A healthy respect for Madrid is good. But I'd be FAR more worried as an Atlético fan tomorrow than I am as a Red. Knowing my team had to navigate not only well arguably the most passionate stadium in all of Europe, that comes alive under the European lights like very few others do. But hoping they keep out the clear best side in World football at present over two games.

If Atléti somehow come through that unscathed than fair play to them. They'll have PROPER earned their place in the quarter-finals.

That unwavering faith is backed up when you consider-

Klopp's stupendous record at L'pool of never having lost a two-legged tie in Europe through now 4 straight European campaigns. (11 ties.).

L'pool having not only not lost at home in the PL for nearly 3 years through 55 games (W45 D10), but not having lost at home in Europe through into 5 campaigns now and counting since Real Madrid won a group game back in 2014. (P25 W18 D7 F61 A20 13 Clean Sheets.).

A run that's seen, amongst others, United and City walloped 2 and 3 respectively. A far superior Dortmund side turned over 4-3 after trailing 0-2 and 1-3. And two of not only the greatest European Cup semi-final wins in history. But two of the greatest wins in UEFA competition history. 5-2 over Roma two years ago. And last years 4-0 turnaround against Barcelona from a 3-0 first-leg deficit.

Oh yeah, we're also talking about the current World, European and presently, English Champions. The best side currently in World football by a Country mile.

Atléti will be a proper battle. I doubt anyone's under any illusions of that. Simeone, as he showed yet again the first game, is a proper old school Argentinian shithouse who knows every dirty trick in the book. And more that aren't. I think you have to approach the game thinking you need to win by 3. And although I agree with AndyRobbo on the need for a fast start, that doesn't need to be all-out attack the full game. Just play our normal, measured approach and the chances will come. But err on the possibility of Madrid scoring and needing three.

Being 'worried' about the game is the very LAST thing I am. Or ever will be when it comes to a European game at Anfield. We might not get through, but it sure as heck won't be for the lack of giving everything on and off the pitch. And knowing Anfield will be off the charts wild with an atmosphere Atlético, like SO many bigger and better teams before them, will never have experienced, is making you count down the hours to kick-off in excited anticipation.

I had another wonderful time in one of the Worlds great City's, Madrid, three weeks back with our friends from Atlético. Culminating in experiencing their own marvellous ground and atmosphere that they've transported so well from the Calderon to their new place. And they can be assured of a similarly warm welcome when visiting our great City. But if they've never experienced an Anfield night under the European lights boy are they in for something REALLY special.

The Metropolitano is a fantastic stadium for watching football. With a fantastic fanbase filling it and giving it life.

But this is Anfield. Which is on a WHOLE other level.

All they need to do is ask their Barcelona counterparts about that.

May the best team win in what's fixing to be a belter game played out in front of a wild atmosphere.

Can

Not

WAIT!!!!!

Just come across this brilliant Finnish doco on a modern-day great who I consider one of the best ever players to play for L'pool, which is saying something given his peers, who sadly didn't have anything like one of the best ever careers at Anfield for one reason or another his short stay. Jari Litmanen,

As noted, it's a Finish doco so some of it's in Finnish and Dutch. But a lot of it's in English on his time at Ajax, Barcelona and ourselves in particular so if it interests you just let the foreign language ride.

And an accompanying Q&A on it's release in Amsterdam with Jari and de Boer.

Last edited:
What’s your thoughts on Werner scouse?

I think if I were a Leipzig fan I'd be getting more than a tad sick of him in the media TBH. Unusually for a German, he needs an education on when and when not to speak to the press. He's involved in a title race, and just got through to the quarter-finals of the European Cup tonight. And all his focus seems to be on is openly flirting non-stop with L'pool! To now seemingly trying to play L'pool and Utd off against each other for a bigger salary.

I don't happen to think we're that interested anyway. (I don't know. Just an educated guess as the 'flirtings' been all one/ here's been absolutely nottin out of L'pool/ RBL openly say they've had no contact from us And since the initial van Dijk fiasco, which ended up costing us another £20 million, the club has gone proper old school on their dealings with next to nothing coming out. And when they do feed anything, it's usually part of a smoke and mirrors game and they're actually after someone the media has no clue over.). But if we are, then he's going the right way around talking himself, literally, out of a move. We value character and the person before the player in many respects along with them being the right footballing fit. And he's coming across as a 'me first' player and not a 'team-first' one. Which just doesn't fly under Klopp.

I mean skill-set wise, he ticks all the boxes to come in for any of the front three without a big drop-off. And the rumoured release clause makes him great value.

But he's certainly not endearing himself to me as a person for whatever that's worth. I think he's being pretty disrespectful to Leipzig to be honest and I'm finding the whole affair tiresome.

That's just my gut take on it for what it's worth and the impression I get of Werner. I know as much as the next man. Nothing.

I think if I were a Leipzig fan I'd be getting more than a tad sick of him in the media TBH. Unusually for a German, he needs an education on when and when not to speak to the press. He's involved in a title race, and just got through to the quarter-finals of the European Cup tonight. And all his focus seems to be on is openly flirting non-stop with L'pool! To now seemingly trying to play L'pool and Utd off against each other for a bigger salary.

I don't happen to think we're that interested anyway. (I don't know. Just an educated guess as the 'flirtings' been all one/ here's been absolutely nottin out of L'pool/ RBL openly say they've had no contact from us And since the initial van Dijk fiasco, which ended up costing us another £20 million, the club has gone proper old school on their dealings with next to nothing coming out. And when they do feed anything, it's usually part of a smoke and mirrors game and they're actually after someone the media has no clue over.). But if we are, then he's going the right way around talking himself, literally, out of a move. We value character and the person before the player in many respects along with them being the right footballing fit. And he's coming across as a 'me first' player and not a 'team-first' one. Which just doesn't fly under Klopp.

I mean skill-set wise, he ticks all the boxes to come in for any of the front three without a big drop-off. And the rumoured release clause makes him great value.

But he's certainly not endearing himself to me as a person for whatever that's worth. I think he's being pretty disrespectful to Leipzig to be honest and I'm finding the whole affair tiresome.

That's just my gut take on it for what it's worth and the impression I get of Werner. I know as much as the next man. Nothing.
Pretty much my thoughts tbh. I think he would be perfect for you guys and possibly us. But I think don’t think we are all that interested either tbh. We seem to have all our attacking eggs in getting Grealish and Sancho. Like you said think he’s playing a wage game playing both clubs. Tbh I don’t think he’s on a level as your front 3 which is arguably the best in Europe!

Weird emotion this.

I mean on the one hand, you're sat buzzing waiting to get up the ground for another real special Anfield European night.

On the other, it's really tempered by not knowing when our next European game will be after this and what UEFA are going to do with the rest of this season's competition as the pandemic get's worse by the passing day across the Continent. I'd normally have had an interest in last nights games but it's just been a 'meh' as the chances of being allowed to travel the next round are the slim side of slim. Next Friday's draw, for someone that lives for the excitement of those things and finding out what trip you're going on, is hardly registering with me right now.

Weird, conflicting emotions at present.

But let's get Madrid put to bed first and what will be after that will be.

Up the European Champion Reds!

Craking game 25 minutes in. Atletico is a joy to watch if you're not having to play against them, superbly driled team.