The Liverpool Thread

One of the best things about the League Cup now.

Mini Klopp getting the extra responsibility of the pressers.

Curtis making his 50th appearance tonight in just over 2 full seasons and still at the tender age of 20 with a lot of development to go, is testament to both himself and all the fabulous work of all his coaches from Kirkby right through.

Another wonderful success story from the Academy who'll, all things being equal, will be a 3/400 or more game 'lifer' here.

Also really exciting to see if 16-year-old phenom Kaide Gordon, along with new full NI International Conor Bradley among others, are involved somewhere along the line at Norwich after being pulled from the 23's Sunday.

Last edited:

Sweet!

I was expecting Bradley starting but not Gordon. Real nice bonus. I can but imagine what's going through that young man's head right now ..... 16 and making your full debut for L'pool Football Club. (And likewise Conor at not long turned 18.) Boys own stuff the pair. And two more top academy talents on the bench to boot.

Real nice mix of experience and youth in a real solid team that would improve most sides starting XI's #nosquaddepth

And JMG skippering them! 😍 🕺🕺🕺😍

Straight into these Redmen. About time we had a domestic cup run again!

Last edited:
Current unbeaten run all comps-
P 16 W 12 D 4 F 35 A 9 CS: 9

Yet another all PL Cup draw for the Reds? This time away ….. 9 changes. With 3 teenagers making their debut ….. No worries. A routine, thoroughly professional, and thoroughly deserved progression into the hat tomorrow evening as we get our League Cup campaign underway in style.

Bar Oxo-Chambo who struggled to really get into the game, collectively really good performances across the board. A few shout-outs-

JMG. Joe organised the backline superbly. Noticeably vocal and directing/ helping his new CH partner and debutant RB.

Konate. Another really composed, solid display. Nothing flash. Just a high-level defensive performance.

Curtis Jones. My MOTM on his 50th appearance. Really mature, dominating display of leadership. He was Hendo-esq the way he was helping out Bradley and Gordon down the right. Talking them through their first exposure at this level.

Big Div. It’d be easy to pick out Taki San with his brace. But that's two midweeks in a row Divock’s come out to play. And a motivated Origi is a dangerous and effective option. It's just keeping him motivated …..

Kudos to the kids. Bradley, the rash peno aside, had a quietly very impressive display in the style of how we attack from the FB position. Gordon flashed.
And Tyler, a mad Red from over the water who just fulfilled a lifelong dream tonight, was really composed, neat and tidy.

And a shout out from me for the travelling Kop. Different experience listening to us on the telly and not being there. ‘F the Tories!’ and reminding them of just where Thatcher is, was loud and proud at least 5 times. As it has been every game since we’ve been back in the ground. But yanno’, no politics in football and all that. 🤦‍♂️….. LOVE IT!

For a team with no depth, the Reds aren’t half a good outfit aye?

UTR!

Last edited:
Dare I say it but Kostas should keep his spot as the form player? His delivery especially from corners is exceptional.

Dare I say it but Kostas should keep his spot as the form player? His delivery especially from corners is exceptional.

It was absolutely boss last night to showcase the quality of the squad that the (very misguided) narrative would have you believe we don't possess.

With, as you noted, Nick the Greek highlighting yet again just how brilliant Edwards and his team are in finding a back-up to arguably the best LB in World football who, stylistically, is a carbon copy of AndyRobbo with the perfect skill-set for what we ask of our FB's. And yeah, his delivery is arguably better than Robbo's. How many assists is that already this year? 3/4? A mad challenge on Benteke Sat'day I thought was a penalty aside, he's been mightly impressive every time he's played to the point you don't miss Andy. Which is the biggest compliment of all you can pay him.

Mad how the reactionary among our number was screaming for him to be let go and replaced this past off-season aye mate?. Without taking into account the horrible situation he found himself in last year arriving during lockdowns and then suffering COVID and being injured himself.

Maybe the powers that be at Anfield actually do know what they are doing after all?

Nice handy away. Absolutely made up with that. About time we had a non-PL draw.

Although there may have to be a re-draw given the massive mistake of pulling City away at a PL club .....

Just going through the tables, this will be my 71st new ground of the current 92. Which isn’t good! I’ve lost a load out of League Two in particular I never realised over recent seasons with relegation and clubs moving grounds! 🤬 I’m beginning to think unless you actually took time out to sack off L’pool games and dedicate completing the 92, actually doing it now by adding the odd ones through International breaks you invariably end up losing by the end of the season isn’t going to make much of a dent. ☹

But regardless, really looking forward to this one. Looks a belter little ground and this is the first time this year sales have been back to normal with all 1.7k going on the first, high sale so it should be a proper, bouncing away end.

And ever since I discovered Brentford have a thing for ’Hey Jude!’, I’ve developed a real fondness for them and I’m rooting for them to stay up haha.

Can’t see many teams winning down there given the tight atmosphere and high energy pressing game they play so this will be a real battle in all likelihood. But as always, match them for effort and our superior quality should tell over 90 mins.

I won’t get to see it but I sincerely hope Chelsea volley City all over too in the early game. They may be the team in form right now. But City remain the deadliest threat IMHO over 38 games so long term picture/ goal over short term gratification for me. The bigger lead we can build over City the better.

What a game of football. Brentford made our back four look absolutely ordinary at times.