The Manchester United Thread

One of the issues we had this season is not having enough games for all the players. CL and trying to not to get knocked out of the league cup after one game will help, along with a bit of trimming. Should also add, he doesn't really rotate his GK either.

Yeah Carrick mentioned in one of his interviews that lack of CL had impact on their preparation as they were so much used to playing 3 games in a week. Also it slowed down Van Gaal's process.

Actually those stats are from 2011 and are not worthy anymore. Its so obvious for anyone who watch CL that European teams have improved immensely when it comes to physicality. Bayern Munich team's stamina is just amazing. Now many European teams can out run and out muscle PL teams.

Aye, I make that point in my last sentence. The gap has been closing for sometime.

Yeah Carrick mentioned in one of his interviews that lack of CL had impact on their preparation as they were so much used to playing 3 games in a week. Also it slowed down Van Gaal's process.

Exactly, this is a club built on playing a lot. Unlike Liverpool were.

Exactly, this is a club built on playing a lot. Unlike Liverpool were.

Team would have adapted to Van Gaal methods much before if we had European games IMO. Also he is not able to give sufficient time for all the players. Hopefully it will be different next season with few more games.

Actually those stats are from 2011 and are not worthy anymore. Its so obvious for anyone who watch CL that European teams have improved immensely when it comes to physicality. Bayern Munich team's stamina is just amazing. Now many European teams can out run and out muscle PL teams.

Dont think that their greater energy levels in the CL indicates that their own league isn't quite as strenuous as the EPL allowing them to turn it on for CL games? Just a thought experiment ;)

Dont think that their greater energy levels in the CL indicates that their own league isn't quite as strenuous as the EPL allowing them to turn it on for CL games? Just a thought experiment ;)

Not really. That's Jose' excuse for PSG game where he said Chelsea's training game are more intense than French League games. That's a **** excuse.

Really don't want depay to join utd just because I won't be able to sign him on the next football manager :( seriously though how good is he? Haven't really seen any of him in real just a few goals on the Internet.

Do you actually even read what you link?

Anecdotal evidence is useless, for starters. The Metrifit article actually directly contradicts everything you've been saying, but it had stats and a title that supported you, so that's fine. If you actually read (listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZL_dWlB4X4&feature=youtu.be) to what the author says, and not the bastardisation of science that that article was.

All the study showed was that the PL has become more intense over the past years (note: this isn't comparing to any other league). And why is this? BECAUSE of the influx of foreign coaches bringing their style to the PL. In fact, the author specifically states that the game has become 'more Spanish'. But clearly, foreign coaches transforming the style of the league to be more Spanish in play style, clearly means players from the Spanish leagues will struggle more and more.

Really don't want depay to join utd just because I won't be able to sign him on the next football manager :( seriously though how good is he? Haven't really seen any of him in real just a few goals on the Internet.

Very good, still needs some work. Potential to be great.

I partly agree with Alcarez if you had european football this season. The injury crises United had this season combined with all the new blood and staff would be too much imo. Altough next season I reckon most players brought in this season would've adepted to the EPL physicality (which is needed for players like Blind who came from the Eredivisie).

I think however that next season United will have less injuries, because the staff knows how to train their team now, players who came in this year had a year to adapt plus everyone will have a summerbreak.

About Depay, I think he could become as good as Robben. But at the moment he's too inconsitent. He has games where he plays very good and is very decisive for his team, but often he's in a tunnlevision and he won't go for the pass when needed. He's a bit too selfish which leads to occasionaly playing a bad match. He is very strong though, has a good dribble and a great shot. I think he's current top goal scorer of the Eredivisie, while he was out of form for quiete a while, while he had to play in the Europa League and went to the WC.

I partly agree with Alcarez if you had european football this season. The injury crises United had this season combined with all the new blood and staff would be too much imo. Altough next season I reckon most players brought in this season would've adepted to the EPL physicality (which is needed for players like Blind who came from the Eredivisie).

I think however that next season United will have less injuries, because the staff knows how to train their team now, players who came in this year had a year to adapt plus everyone will have a summerbreak.

About Depay, I think he could become as good as Robben. But at the moment he's too inconsitent. He has games where he plays very good and is very decisive for his team, but often he's in a tunnlevision and he won't go for the pass when needed. He's a bit too selfish which leads to occasionaly playing a bad match. He is very strong though, has a good dribble and a great shot. I think he's current top goal scorer of the Eredivisie, while he was out of form for quiete a while, while he had to play in the Europa League and went to the WC.

That still sounds exactly like Robben tbh!

Thats your own opinion. I gave plenty of statistical and anecdotal evidence which says otherwise.

They don't though:

Premier League: Manchester United's Angel di Maria has adapted to life at Old Trafford and relishes the physicality of Premier League football | Football News | Sky Sports [He never talks about tempo of the game or the number of fouls, he just notes that players are stronger here.]

Mesut Ozil: 'I struggled with physicality of Premier League' - Sports Mole [Again, no actual talk about the game being more intense here: he explicitly says he's tired because he's been playing for years without a real break. The only mention of physicality is an aside. You honestly couldn't have linked to an article that proves my point about the media any more.]

Research Shows That EPL Requires A More Fit And Technical Player | Metrifit [This line" "This transition requires a player that is more physically fit and technically proficient to keep pace with his opponents" immediately following a stat about different leagues does make this confusing. Something about it should strike you as odd though, if you choose to interpret what it is saying as being about the PL vs other leagues. Why would a PL player need to more technical than one in La Liga, if we're buying into the England=hardcore Spain=delicate and technical thing? The study wasn't actually focused on the PL vs other leagues at all. The modern PL player doesn't need to be "more physically fit and technically proficient to keep pace with his opponents" than if he were playing in La Liga, he needs to be better in those attributes that PL players in 06/07.]

Either way, my argument really was never about the difference in physical demands between the EPL and La Liga until Mike. decided to completely straw man it and make it so which he usually does before blaming others for confusing the issue

Hang on, yes it was. You said that United might struggle with consistency because the core of their team was made up of (in your own words): "key players who are not used to 4 competitions in an intensive league with no winter break". That was the first mention of intensity in this thread. I mean you could tenuously argue that you only meant intensity in terms of tempo (though then you'd have to rescind your claim that Mike straw-manned you because the confusion would come from your lack of specification) but even then La Liga isn't that different from the PL.

Last edited:
Very good, still needs some work. Potential to be great.

Well if his anything like he is on my fm saves utd are guaranteed 25 goals a season from out wide :p looking forward to watching him in the premier league if/when he joins utd

I wanted Hazard: Denied.

I wanted Lucas Moura: Denied. Although that's not looking so bad now.

I want Depay: Please happen.

CC_JW-XUsAALcEA.png

He's clearly staying

That still sounds exactly like Robben tbh!

I'm saying it, because Januzaj is getting the same criticism, however Depay is showing his skills right now in an easier competition than Januzaj does and Depay is playing all matches. Would be interesting how LVG would use two talented young wingers next season if he gets Depay.

The improvement from Depay of last season and this is ridiculous, yes is sometimes still a bit frustrating but this is getting less and less as he is improving on his decision making and end product as the season goes on. The thing that has really impressed me this season is his attitude and his work rate is exceptional imo for a young winger, he has really tracked back this season like a WB at times. He is gonna be special I am sure!

Wasn't too fond of Depay earlier. Too selfish, and rather bad decision making. That has improved, and under LvG, he can definitely improve even more. Plus, he has the pace and physicality required, and knows where the goal is >_>

Please, please make it happen. Hazard and Moura were not related to Fergie, Depay is rather close to LvG, please make it happen.

Hummels, Clyne, Depay and I'll be joyful. Then hunt for a CM and lastly, a backup striker.

When you read them stats RVP doesn't look bad, it's just his attitude and work rate that has annoyed me in comparison to someone like Rooney who works his socks off it just doesn't compare.