The Manchester City Thread.

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3K
  • Views Views 244K
No better RB in the PL than Clyne. You have a winger playing there. Who is no longer a winger. Whatever he is, I sure as **** hope he plays against us. Phil or Mane will have a field day. Lovren has elevated himself to as consistent a centre half as anyone since Klopp's come in. There's Matip, one of the best centre half the Bundesliga last year. Klavan, the vastly experienced Estonian captain. And Sakho, who as much as he frustrates me, most clubs would take in a heartbeat. Very few clubs have a group of 4 like that. Certainly not Utd. With Gomez to return who was outstanding last year before injury. LB is where you've no contest.

So dude, I'd take De Gea and Shaw if I wanted to improve what we had from your group.

I'm pretty sure you'd take Rojo, as well, he's better than Moreno and Milner, even though that's saying something in itself.

You would definitely take Blind, I mean the guy is better than Sakho, Lovren and Klaven (however you spell). Also Smalling was best CB in league last year as well as Blind so that's pretty much the best defensive CB pairing in the league going off last season.

I'll give you RB even though I shouldn't in reality as our depth is superior there, Darmian and Timothy Fosu-Mensah who you would take, even if you insisted it was cover for Clyne.

Arsenal had the best centre half pairing last season, long with Leicester. Liverpool conceded 2 more than West Brom who finished 14th. Outside of West Ham by one goal, it was the worst defence in the Top 8. Outside of Clyne (big fan) I wouldnt have any otehr them, but they we blow 50mil on defenders like confetti.. :)

EDIT* Kun scores, he should be on 5.. ffs lol.

Old City would have found this tie tricky..

Arsenal had the best centre half pairing last season, long with Leicester. Liverpool conceded 2 more than West Brom who finished 14th. Outside of West Ham by one goal, it was the worst defence in the Top 8. Outside of Clyne (big fan) I wouldnt have any otehr them, but they we blow 50mil on defenders like confetti.. :)

No sir, our pairing was better than Arsenal. But I forgot about Leicester in fairness so they probably shade it.

Arsenal had the best centre half pairing last season, long with Leicester. Liverpool conceded 2 more than West Brom who finished 14th. Outside of West Ham by one goal, it was the worst defence in the Top 8. Outside of Clyne (big fan) I wouldnt have any otehr them, but they we blow 50mil on defenders like confetti.. :) .

If they'd had De Gea in goal and not Mingolet, it wouldn't of been.

The same way Utd would of conceded far more if that had been flipped.

A good defence relies more on the system the team plays than in the individual quality of the defenders tho.

No sir, our pairing was better than Arsenal. But I forgot about Leicester in fairness so they probably shade it.

One goal in it, in the table Id only give it Arsenal due to LVG playing 2 sitting over there 1 most of the time. It was prob more noticable due them usually being good but not exception and making a step up, while United had that already basis already so it wasnt as noticable. (if you get what i mean)

A good defence relies more on the system the team plays than in the individual quality of the defenders tho.

This is also true and pertinent.

Why I see City and L'pool being more vulnerable than most this year being as they'll be so adventurous and attacking away from home. By default they'll be exposed at times.

A severe area of weakness this time last summer is now a much stronger area for L'pool.

I don't understand how you say this with confidence when in your first game of season you have conceded 3 goals.

You have brought in reinforcement to that area but I wouldn't say you have noticably improved. Admittedly I don't know much about this Klaven chap but I wouldn't say he is a big improvement on Sakho or Lovren.

Anyway trying to keep my post semi City-related, you've allowed yourselves to pretty much field a fully weakened team for the return league against Steaeu Bucharest which is a bonus, to rest your best players.

I don't understand how you say this with confidence when in your first game of season you have conceded 3 goals.

You have brought in reinforcement to that area but I wouldn't say you have noticably improved. Admittedly I don't know much about this Klaven chap but I wouldn't say he is a big improvement on Sakho or Lovren.

Anyway trying to keep my post semi City-related, you've allowed yourselves to pretty much field a fully weakened team for the return league against Steaeu Bucharest which is a bonus, to rest your best players.

Klaven plays for Estonia, defensive powerhouse. :p

I still think we'll play a strong side, clearly Peps system is to be learned by time on the pitch as much as possible, i wouldnt expect a major change, with the side.

This is also true and pertinent.

Why I see City and L'pool being more vulnerable than most this year being as they'll be so adventurous and attacking away from home. By default they'll be exposed at times.
I agree. The very decision to play Moreno shows that Klopp prioritizes attack over defence. Moreno is incapable of defending, but a threat in the final third.
Hard to imagine a Conte or a Mourinho team conceding much.

I don't understand how you say this with confidence when in your first game of season you have conceded 3 goals.....

This wasn't Bournemouth, This was Arsenal. Away. And that said, a deflected goal, a fantastic delivery from a free kick, and a Lallana/ Moreno mistake. Those mistakes will be ironed out.

All missing our new 'keeper and centre half. Along with Can to protect them. Lot of defensive positives to take from Sunday from last season. Set pieces were defended far better. and we comfortably saw the game out the last 20 minutes after Arsenal's third with barely an anxious moment for Mingolet. The scoreline was far closer than the second half played out.

We'll be exposed a fair bit away being as we're all out attack, but the more the team pressing clicks, along with players back, the stronger they'll be in holding those leads.

Last edited:
Klaven plays for Estonia, defensive powerhouse. :p

I still think we'll play a strong side, clearly Peps system is to be learned by time on the pitch as much as possible, i wouldnt expect a major change, with the side.

Good point, either way, that return leg should be of much benefit to you guys now this match is done with already.

I still find it odd that Pep is trustiing his Wily over his Hart, I mean I know Hart is prone to a mistake but he is better than Wily.

This wasn't Bournemouth, This was Arsenal. Away. And that said, a deflected goal, a fantastic delivery from a free kick, and a Lallana/ Moreno mistake. Those mistakes will be ironed out.

Sure I get your enthusiasm but not sure I would be making the assurance of your defence being so much better yet. Give it 10 games into the season and we'll see a true reflection of where you are at.

Sure I get your enthusiasm but not sure I would be making the assurance of your defence being so much better yet. Give it 10 games into the season and we'll see a true reflection of where you are at.

Mingolet's in goal for at least 8 of them and he's prone to undoing anyone else's good work with a boneheaded f-up out of nowhere so if you're wanting cold hard stats of goals conceded you'd be better waiting for Karius to return and settle in his new surroundings.

The defence is the defence. Can't start suddenly making allowances for moreno or karius starting.

Uniteds defence was largely excellent last season and it was actually not all down to De Gea. Surprised people still talk about names over systems

The defence is the defence. Can't start suddenly making allowances for moreno or karius starting.

You can in terms of goals conceded. Flip out De Gea for Romero over an 8 game period and there'd be a big difference. All relative.

I wouldn't use either having to play as an excuse. Injuries are injuries and part of the game. You deal. That's football. But if you're looking over the first 10 games as a barometer as was suggested, you'd have to allow for the big drop off in goal.

Mingolet's in goal for at least 8 of them and he's prone to undoing anyone else's good work with a boneheaded f-up out of nowhere so if you're wanting cold hard stats of goals conceded you'd be better waiting for Karius to return and settle in his new surroundings.

United kept 3 clean sheets in the four games that Sergio Romero started for them last year including Tottenham. And if you are giving Karius time to join the side and settle in then you may as well not bother even taking stats regarding the Liverpool defence for the season. United have the better defence of the two sides and I would bet a lot that they show it over this season.

Also from a City POV Nolito looks like he is a really good deal for his cheap price and Sterling is looking more like a £50 million player under Guardiola with the obvious caveat of they have only played two games against Sunderland and Steaua

Back