The Manchester City Thread.

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3K
  • Views Views 244K
Problem for Pep is, to win the PL you need a plan B of some sort, everyone and his cat now knows the way they play. Admittedly it is still too good for most to even combat but when it doesn't work... that's when City will come stuck again in my opinion.

Problem for Pep is, to win the PL you need a plan B of some sort, everyone and his cat now knows the way they play. Admittedly it is still too good for most to even combat but when it doesn't work... that's when City will come stuck again in my opinion.

Presumably, you must be worried for exactly the same from the other side of the City then?

Not only that, but looks like they are getting Mendy as well. Good swift action.

There's some French outlet trying to link L'pool to him.

At £43 million I sure as **** hope it's City or some other chump Monaco rape.

Presumably, you must be worried for exactly the same from the other side of the City then?

Not at all, Pep is renowned for his style and approach to football - a one size fits all type of approach. Sure I have my reservations for next season, but not that. Thing is with Mourinho is that he's one of the most adaptable in world football to set the team up to how the opposition play. So there is no real need for plan B like Pep needs.

Not at all, Pep is renowned for his style and approach to football - a one size fits all type of approach. Sure I have my reservations for next season, but not that. Thing is with Mourinho is that he's one of the most adaptable in world football to set the team up to how the opposition play. So there is no real need for plan B like Pep needs.

Adaptable? He drills his sides, sits in, and hopes to take the few chances that come his way. That's it 99% of the time. Being very canny at picking the dominant financial clubs in leagues throughout his career to afford him the top players to take those few chances.

You spent the last few days praising parking the bus against Ajax's U-23's for Pete's sake! His career MO! And I aren't mocking that. It won the Europa League which is all that matters. But he's as much a master tactician as Rafa is. When their way works, it's great. When it doesn't, they can't change to combat it.

And football is moving away from that way of playing the more the game evolves.

Last edited:
Adaptable? He drills his sides, sits in, and hopes to take the few chances that come his way. That's it 99% of the time.

You spent the last few days praising parking the bus against Ajax's U-23's for Pete's sake! His career MO! And I aren't mocking that. It won the Europa League which is all that matters. But he's as much a master tactician as Rafa is. When their way works, it's great. When it doesn't, they can't change to combat it.

And football is moving away from that way of playing the more the game evolves.
Isn't that what we thought when Pep's Barca won the treble?The very next year Mou's pragmatic Inter won the treble.

Isn't that what we thought when Pep's Barca won the treble?The very next year Mou's pragmatic Inter won the treble.

Man, there's always an exception to the rule if you look but the games evolving away from that style of football in the main.

You might well stay in games and grind out points to keep you interested. But unless he opens Utd up and you start scoring goals, I don't see you as any serious title threat under him.

I'd take Pep's attitude to outweigh Mourinho's the PL is right now.

Last edited:
Man, there's always an exception to the rule if you look but the games evolving away from that style of football in the main.

You might well stay in games and grind out points to keep you interested. But unless he opens Utd up and you start scoring goals, I don't see you as any serious title threat under him.

I'd take Pep's attitude to outweigh Mourinho's the PL is right now.
If we are talking about the pl only, the last 3 titles have been because of the teams having a stable defense and counter attacking strategy.Mou's Chelsea, Leicester and now Conte's Chelsea.The last team to win with this mentality was Pellegrini's Man City(in a with Chelsea in rebuild and United being under Moyes.That year Liverpool too played with an attacking mentality before perishing after Gerard's slip.

So, if anything, these tactics are the norm to win the PL.These teams tend to start brightly(Pep's City this year)but get burned out due to the exhausting nature of their football, because the PL is not an easy place to keep possession and thus the players need to run more to press the opposition.Arsenal are an obvious example of this, every year the play sparkling football without great and their title challenge peters out by Feb.The last time they had a team that could play well on the counter, was the Invincibles

Note:Keeping possession is the only way for the players to catch a break in such tactics, a luxury they aren't afforded by the pl due to it's abrasive nature

Last edited:
Pep is superb, and he will get it right, he's a ruthless champion - every bit as ruthless in Jose at clearing deadwood, unwanted players etc.

What I don't get is how he's escaping the "chequebook manager" tag whereas Mourinho gets smashed for it. I'm not saying he should be branded it, they both have the resources to do how they please in their respective projects, but there's definitely some double standards between the pair based on likability.

Its clearly a great now/future project buy look at the split in first and second XI you could get with that option, everyone on the "youth" side is 2/3 seasons deep already...

2ldjs0.jpg

mwayrk.jpg

As much as experience is a great thing, the younger XI would still turn over a few teams of a decent standard (Even considering our defense :) lol.

*Apologies if i missed someone Delph - 27 maybe, but meh.

Pep is superb, and he will get it right, he's a ruthless champion - every bit as ruthless in Jose at clearing deadwood, unwanted players etc.

What I don't get is how he's escaping the "chequebook manager" tag whereas Mourinho gets smashed for it. I'm not saying he should be branded it, they both have the resources to do how they please in their respective projects, but there's definitely some double standards between the pair based on likability.

That's fair and pertinent. Don't see how anyone could argue that.

All I would say, in my view, Pep's proven a far more innovative coach than Mourinho within that. But that's not to take away from Mourinho's trophy haul. I guess I'd differentiate between Jose the Manager and Guardiola the teacher/ coach. Different skill set's which outweigh the other but have lead to success for both.

Also, Pep is equally guilty of picking financially dominant clubs(Bayern, City).If I were Pep, I'd try to get Gundogan to play DLP and buy the best full backs on the market ASAP.All he truly lacks is a Metronome DLP with a good defensive understanding, like busquets

Basically, Pep is like a young naive kid with brilliant ideas, while Mou is the old taskmaster.Personally I feel that Pep would have been better suited for United(seeing how LVG had drilled the side), while City would have been better off getting someone fresh to helm their project(Sampaoli, maybe?)

Last edited:
I'll take a new LB and Destroyer (Carvalho / Bakayoko / Fabinnho - dont care) Fernando isnt gonna cut it, first string.

Whos the best Junego de positionallly thingy fella going??? for the Stones - DMC - KDB passing metronome.. Kroos i presume lol

Last edited:
Yeah, that FA ban is killing teams now... lol.

PEP GUARDIOLA is at war with old club Barcelona for lining up THREE of their best young teenagers.
Manchester City chief Guardiola is raiding the Nou Camp for whizz kids Pablo Moreno, Nico Gonzalez and Ansu Fati.

They also, just went all out to get him ahead of the queue... **** knows who we'd have if he said no.. Mou probably.. lol
Don't know if he'd have come, but you sure would have tried to get Allegri
Edit:Kroos is the kind of player that improves any team he plays for

That's fair and pertinent. Don't see how anyone could argue that.

All I would say, in my view, Pep's proven a far more innovative coach than Mourinho within that. But that's not to take away from Mourinho's trophy haul. I guess I'd differentiate between Jose the Manager and Guardiola the teacher/ coach. Different skill set's which outweigh the other but have lead to success for both.

This is a brilliant article that you guys should read, I wish all of the knee-jerk fans would too but that's never going to happen :P

Where do you draw the line between progression and success?

What happened to Nolito btw lads? Went off the boil or what? Seemed to be a regular at the start of the season

Back