The Manchester United Thread

United have improved a lot this season although it will be interesting to see how they manage next season with CL and league cup on the platter. This season they only had 2 competitions to focus on with the wealth of talent in their squad. Next season will be even tougher particularly if Chelsea and City improve in the summer which they will, especially city

Won't be an issue at all. We aren't Liverpool, this is a side that used to 4 competitions at once. and its not like we wont improve further

He was won in pretty much all the major leagues you could think off. Whether is the best is obviously arguable. I would say it's between him and Ancelloti

Pep has won league titles in 2 leagues he has managed, Simeone took midtable team to league title and CL finalists. If we are talking about period of say 10 years and active managers then maybe but if we talking about 1 or 2 years then he isn't.

We have 4 really good chances to score. That's not much of a defensive masterclass.

Winning in PL doesnt mean he is the best. There is football outside PL.

He is the best, if it's not Jose it's Carlo especially Carlo as far as europe goes he is possibly the best there has been in the champions league era.

I wasn't referring to you if you thought that. I never said Chelsea's performance was good. I actually clarified that this idea of 'defensive master class' was exaggerated. But to say that Chelsea just sat back and hung on for dear life before scoring a jammy goal is incredibly unfair characterization

I said Jammy goal was a wrong term but you just defended with everyone back except Hazard and Drogba. Couldn't string 2 passes together with talents like Fabregas, Matic, Hazard, Oscar and barely got out of the half.

Chelsea defended with all the players except 2, scored a lucky goal (fouled Falcao in the build up).

I wasn't referring to you if you thought that. I never said Chelsea's performance was good. I actually clarified that this idea of 'defensive master class' was exaggerated. But to say that Chelsea just sat back and hung on for dear life before scoring a jammy goal is incredibly unfair characterization
Yeah especially the first half it was defo more us dominating than a tactical master class, as you was all over shape wise. But after the half time and a couple of tweaks from Mou the second half was a much more structured/organised counter performance. Goal was not jammy it was just 2 bits of class from 2 top players.

Mourinho is more than capable of a defensive masterclass, we've been on the end of them before. Yesterday was not one of them.

didnt united have numerous 1 nil wins when they won the league in 2011. if i remember clearly you were quite similair to chelsea this season.

We have 4 really good chances to score. That's not much of a defensive masterclass.

Basically my point, I don't get it either. Thought we were really good yesterday, agreed with LVG's comments. Di Maria may be frustrating at times but he can still provide a moment of brilliance that others can't, when he came on he created a chance that no one else would of with a superb pass. Glad to hear he is staying next season if usually reliable journos are to be believed.

He is the best, if it's not Jose it's Carlo especially Carlo as far as europe goes he is possibly the best there has been in the champions league era.

Pellegrini was the best manager last season then?

Simeone has better record than Jose if we take last 2-3 years.

didnt united have numerous 1 nil wins when they won the league in 2011. if i remember clearly you were quite similair to chelsea this season.

You literally missed the point. Noone is denying that. All that is being stated is that yesterday's performance was not a 'defensive masterclass'.

Basically my point, I don't get it either. Thought we were really good yesterday, agreed with LVG's comments. Di Maria may be frustrating at times but he can still provide a moment of brilliance that others can't, when he came on he created a chance that no one else would of with a superb pass. Glad to hear he is staying next season if usually reliable journos are to be believed.

We posed far more of a threat than we should have done considering the loss of very key players and Rooney not up front. There is a reason they celebrated like mad men, and rightly so.

You literally missed the point. Noone is denying that. All that is being stated is that yesterday's performance was not a 'defensive masterclass'.

ahh my bad should have read, its just some of my united mates were complaining that chelsea parked the bus blah blah and that they dont deserve to win the leagues. got me thinking that 2011 united champions were not even that good and were quite similair to chelsea of present.

We posed far more of a threat than we should have done considering the loss of very key players and Rooney not up front. There is a reason they celebrated like mad men, and rightly so.
All yesterday did was further more convince me we can win the league next season.

I have no idea what game you were watching. Chelsea was defending for 60% of the time, on the home pitch. Chelsea created little from open play, and only were dangerous when they skipped United midfield by Drogba holding his own against the world. It's not like Chelsea wouldn't like to hold the ball like United did, but they weren't able for various reasons, one of them is Mou realizing playing high up will leave Terry and Ivanovic even more exposed. United has 3 really good chances, Chelsea had 2 IIRC. On different day, it would be different result. But it didn't. Chelsea hold their composure when they needed it, Untied didn't. Thats why Chelsea will be champions this year. It wasn't Mou's typical defensive setup like against Bayern or Barcelona, but yesterday it was good enough to handle this United side.

I take that game as a very positive thing for United. Really looking forward to the next season. I would be scared if I wasn't United fan. For the first time in last 3 years, I think we have real chance of getting far, far in CL.

Won't be an issue at all. We aren't Liverpool, this is a side that used to 4 competitions at once. and its not like we wont improve further

Easy to say that. We will see how it goes next season. It's not like you lot did a great job in the two comeptitions you were involved in this season. Jose took a similarly dysfunctional team to the brink of the title last season

Pep has won league titles in 2 leagues he has managed, Simeone took midtable team to league title and CL finalists. If we are talking about period of say 10 years and active managers then maybe but if we talking about 1 or 2 years then he isn't.

Of course I am talking about active managers over a prolonged period and not looking at one season in isolation. Look at the entire period and you see that Jose's record is only matched by Ancelloti. If it's about the last 2-3 years then Simeone for me as well

The same way you lot celebrated after Van Persie's equalizer at OT? We celebrated like mad men after the game against QPR as well FYI. It's all about the fact that we are getting closer to the title

I have no idea what game you were watching. Chelsea was defending for 60% of the time, on the home pitch. Chelsea created little from open play, and only wad dangerous when they skipped United midfield by Drogba holding his own against the world. It's not like Chelsea wouldn't like to hold the ball like United did, but they weren't able for various reasons, one of them is Mou realizing playing high up will leave Terry and Ivanovic even more exposed. United has 3 really good chances, Chelsea had 2 IIRC. On different day, it would be different result. But it didn't. Chelsea hold their composure when they needed it, Untied didn't. Thats why Chelsea will be champions this year. It wasn't Mou's typical defensive setup like against Bayern or Barcelona, but yesterday it was good enough to handle this United side.

I take that game as a very positive thing for United. Really looking forward to the next season. I would be scared if I wasn't United fan. For the first time in last 3 years, I think we have real chance of getting far, far in CL.

We need to finish the top and get in the top 4 (3 really). Do that and we can bring in the few pieces needed to mount a serious title challenge and european run. The group stage will be hard work mind, we are a 2nd seed now so we will really need a good run this year.