The Manchester United Thread

Tonight will be tight, but I can see us nicking it tbh.

Schalke 1-2 United.

Also, Stubbs. Please for the love of God, it's GRAB not GRAP

OMG I've just heard Hernandez is hurt... DAAAMN.... anyone knows anything about this ?

Great thread.

On the subject of our kits, unfortunately, I believe both the Home & this Black one to be real; and I assume the latter will be our away kit with the Blue one being our third. The Blue one is gorgeous imo so I hope it's real.

As for tonights game, I watch the BUndesliga alot, and while Schalke can be dangerous; I don't they'll be strong enough to handle the Red Machine. I can see this starting off end-to-end, before we settle down & start controlling the game...I think we'll win 2-0 tbh.

OMG I've just heard Hernandez is hurt... DAAAMN.... anyone knows anything about this ?

haven't heard anything about this yet, MUTV news hasn't mentioned it so hopefully it's nothing serious as he could play a big part tonight.

Let me start off with the first rumor..

Fergie beats Wenger to French starlet
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson looks to have beaten Arsenal in the race to sign French youngster Raphael Varane.

Fergie is close to tying up a £3million deal for the Lens defender who turned 18 yesterday.

The Old Trafford chief has teed up the move, despite 6ft 3in Varane signing a new contract recently.

He is the surprise name on United’s transfer hit-list and insiders reveal the deal is ‘nearly done’.

Varane, who can play centre-half or defensive midfield, has already made his Lens debut and is the stand-out player in France’s youth sides.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is usually the king of the transfer market in his homeland, but Ferguson seems to have sneaked under the radar for Varane and expects to have him signed up soon.

haven't heard anything about this yet, MUTV news hasn't mentioned it so hopefully it's nothing serious as he could play a big part tonight.

I've heard on radio. ******* idiots said Hernandez instead Berbatov. They gave me heart attack. Stupid *****. ( dont infract me :D)

Chicharito and Rooney upfront tonight 4-4-2 formation, looking forward to game now!- Via Twitter (Paddy Crerand)

According to the great Paddy Crerand, Chicharito and Wazza start alongside eachother tonight in Schalke!

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Manchester United face German outfit Schalker tonight in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League semi-final. Team news has just been released and United starting line up looks like this;

Starting XI:

Edwin Van der Sar;
Fabio da Silva, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic (c), Patrice Evra;
Antonio Valencia, Michael Carrick, Ryan Giggs, Ji-Sung Park;
Wayne Rooney, Javier Hernandez

Judging by the line up, i'm guessing United are lining up 4-4-2 tonight with the on form Rooney and Chicharito leading the line.

Subs:

PIG, Anderson, Chris Smalling, Nani, Paul Scholes, Rafael da Silva and Jonny Evans

Find it strange that SAF hasn't named an out an out striker on the bench with Michael Owen being match fit and I must say, looked rather sharpe when coming on against Newcastle Utd and Everton.

After today's away game, have to post his again, yes in our thread.

Manchester United's away from since 3-0 loss to Milan.

1. Sporting Lisbon 0 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
2. Dynamo Kiev 2 - 4 Manchester United (Group Stage)
3. Roma 1 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
4. Lyon 1 - 1 Manchester United (Last 16)
5. Roma 0 - 2 Manchester United (Quarter-Final)
6. Barcelona 0 - 0 Manchester United (Semi-Final)
7. Aalborg 0 - 3 Manchester United (Group Stage)
8. Celtic 1 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
9. Villarreal 0 - 0 Manchester United (Group Stage)
10.Inter Milan 0 - 0 Manchester United (Last 16)
11.Porto 0 - 1 Manchester United (Quarter-Final)
12.Arsenal 1 - 3 Manchester United (Semi-Final)
13.Besiktas 0 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
14.CSKA Moscow 0 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
15.Wolfsburg 1 - 3 Manchester United (Group Stage)
16.AC Milan 2 - 3 Manchester United (Last 16)
17.Bayern Munich 2 - 1 Manchester United (Quarter-Final)
18.Valencia 0 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
19.Bursaspor 0 - 3 Manchester United (Group Stage)
20.Rangers 0 - 1 Manchester United (Group Stage)
21.Marseille 0 - 0 Manchester United (Last 16)
22.Chelsea 0 - 1 Manchester United (Quarter Final)
23.Schalke 0- 2 Manchester United (Semi Final)

P 23
W 15
D 7
L 1
F 34
A 10

GD + 24

This season we haven't conceded a single goal away from home. Absolutely superb which no one gives us enough credit for..

After today's away game, have to post his again, yes in our thread.

This season we haven't conceded a single goal away from home. Absolutely superb which no one gives us enough credit for..

Do you want cookies? :p

mmmmk, few news
Ronaldo or Messi
And, I think this is important for us all:
-Sir Alex Ferguson said of Manuel Neuer: "I think, in my time at United, it's probably the finest display of goalkeeping against us. I'm sure there's other feats but tonight I saw a very good one."

It got us thinking about those "other feats" and which outstanding displays between the sticks warrant a mention.

Our initial shortlist included Neville Southall (1995 FA Cup final), Ludek Miklosko (last day of the season in 1995 - that was a bad week for facing in-form keepers!), Chris Turner (1991 League Cup final) and Brad Friedel (a variety of games but notably 2004/2005 and 2007/2008).

We asked for your suggestions on Talking Reds and here's five of the best of them. You can still join the debate and have your say.

Stefan Klos (Borussia Dortmund, 1997)
This 1-0 defeat still smarts with Sir Alex as the Reds were unable to overturn a lead extended by Lars Ricken's early goal. 21 attempts on Klos' goal were recorded but, ably supported by defenders Jurgen Kohler and Stefan Reuter, the future Rangers No1 stood firm and repelled everything United could throw at him.

Paul Jones (Southampton, 1998)
The hoodoo at The Dell continued as Kevin Davies made it three successive home wins for the Saints against Sir Alex's side. It was a case of hanging on to another early goal and being unable to find a way past the inspired keeper, who picked up a rating of '9' inUnited's official review of the season. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Andy Cole were thwarted as the visitors sorely missed Teddy Sheringham.

Jurgen Macho (Sunderland, 2003)
After Juan Sebastian Veron's bizarre own goal, this New Year's Day fixture was turning into a disaster for the title-chasing Reds. The Austrian keeper had one of those days, a stop from Rio Ferdinand was the pick of a string of saves as United rained in 32 attempts, but he was ultimately beaten by David Beckham and Paul Scholes. The Guardian wrote: "He had the sort of performance that he might never reproduce throughout the rest of his career." They were probably right.

Tomasz Kuszczak (West Brom, 2005)
Baggies boss Bryan Robson needed to turn to the Pole when Russell Hoult went off injured and Kuszczak's performance obviously impressed Sir Alex, as he signed him a year later. The stand-in frustrated Quinton Fortune, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kleberson and Rooney to earn his side an important 1-1 draw in their battle against the drop.

Manuel Almunia (Arsenal, 2009)
What is it about goalkeepers called Manuel in Champions League semi-final first legs? The Gunners' fans may have turned against the man from Pamplona but it was only a top-class display that kept the Londoners in the tie, albeit until the early stages of the Emirates return. Rooney, Carlos Tevez and Ronaldo were all denied by the stubborn Spaniard.
and some transfer rumors :
Papers: Jones joust

Few brilliant pics from the game. I just love Raul.

53956245.jpg

nzhy0p.jpg

PA-10600574.jpg

What do you guys think about the goalkeeping situation?

All the inevitable hype of Neuer has predictably taken off after the Schalke game. I honestly think he is going to go to Bayern and as great a signing he would be (Great Dane clone anyone?), I think the best option to replace VDS is actually Adler.

The other favourite name in the hat is De Gea and I honestly think he is too much of a gamble due to his age. We had too many miss hits replacing the Great Dane and I would rather we didn't take the risk.

Adler we must not forget was Germany's number 1 choice ahead of Neuer (who was third choice at the time) before the World Cup and only got replaced due to injury. This guy is also a Man United fan so we won't have the situation of him wanting to leave a few years down the track and with his age could be the number 1 for 10 plus years if he is a success.

The other name that seems to pop up a lot is Stekelenberg (spelling?). Now this one is a definite no go for me. He just isn't good enough. Didn't the Dutch national team have to convince VDS to come out of international retirement twice? Now if the Dutch national team didn't think he was good enough to replace VDS, why should we? I've seen him play a few times and he just doesn't give you that confidence you want in your goalkeeper. For me he is at the level of the Schwarzer's/Foster's/Jaaskelainen's of the Premier League. Perform very well, but just not quite enough for a big team.

Now both the semi final is almost as good as done. ManUtd Vs Barca. There was a discussion on how we should play Barca in the finals. I think we can do it here..

We should play Carrick and Fletcher for sure. They are key in intercepting passes and denying space. With them we also need a creative mid fielder, Anderson is a good choice but he fails to deliver when denied space. So i think we should play Giggs as a CM.

Problem is if we play 3 in the middle then have to drop Park as Valencia, Rooney and Hernandez are must for this game. So maybe we will play Giggs as a CM also drifting to wings when we attack. With Rooney it is like playing extra man in the midfield, helping both defense and attack and Hernandez will stretch their defense and we may get much needed space.

We can introduce Nani late in the game to attack the tiring legs. He can get behind RB as Alves is very attack oriented.

VDS

O'shea Vidic Rio Evra

Carrick Fletcher
Valencia Park/Giggs

Rooney
Hernandez​

Vds
Fabio Rio Vidic Evra
Fletc Carrick Giggs
Valencia Park
Rooney​

We'll try to keep the result till 70 min, then we'll brought Hernandez in and Park out. Giggs of for Nani and that's it, maybe Scholes for Carrick later on.

about GK, I would love to see Neuer, I knew he was a world class before our game, but, if he joins Bayern, I hope we'll get Adler :wub:
Dunno about DDG, im not impressed with him. He is good GK, but i think not good enough for Man Utd, yet. So, Neuer, Alder or Lloris.

Saw this on FB... : Edwin Van Der Sar has revealed in the Dutch press that Manchester United have decided on his replacement,but it's not Schalke's Manuel Neuer. ''United have made their decision.'' he said.''It's not Neuer,but I can't say any more than that.''