The Manchester United Thread

Manchester United Official Web Site - Papers: Howard Webb to referee United v Chelsea
Haha get in. :p
Webb to ensure vital game is free of controversy
The World Cup final referee Howard Webb is set to be announced today as the man in charge of Manchester United's pivotal Premier League game against Chelsea at Old Trafford on Sunday with the league and referees' bodies desperate for a solid performance from the officials. The appointment of Webb, 39, is expected to be confirmed by Mike Riley, the general manager of the referees' organisation, this afternoon after a bad weekend for Premier League officials in which several wrong decisions – most notably Frank Lampard's "ghost goal" against Tottenham – have put them under scrutiny like never before. The appointment to Sunday's game of Webb – heavily criticised by Liverpool for his performance in their FA Cup third-round defeat to United in January – will not be without controversy. However, the Professional Game Match Officials (PGMOL) body, which administers and selects referees, is aware that the game needs to pass off without a major talking point around the referee and has chosen the man regarded as the best in the English game.

Let's hope the match has no/barely any poor referee decisions, it's too vital to the title race to be plagued with mistakes.

Last season they got a decision at Old Trafford to win them the league - lets hope that it doesn't happen again this year!

My only worry for Sunday is that we may go with our 4-4-2 but Chelsea are going to stick with their more successful 4-3-3 system and it could cause us problems.

Still think we can win though. 2-0 United then we'll need 1 point from 2 games.

I dont mind few controversial calls going in favor of us. Its about time we get few against Chelsea.

Draw against Chelsea, Blackburn and win against Blackpool means we are champions.

Hope we wrap up title against Blackburn beating Chelsea and Blackburn in the run in..

a mate off mine who is a Chelsea fan came out with a comment "the FA might as well hand the title in person, expect many decisions to go United's way on Sunday" **** Chelsea fans have a short memory after Saturday lol

Nice article on Berbatov and how much he is involved in build up to goals. I dont agree with entire article but some of the points are too good.

Manchester United's Dimitar Berbatov: The Best Striker in the World?

Considering the fact he's now third choice Manchester United striker and didn't receive a huge deal of plaudits against Schalke 04 in the Champions League last night, it may seem somewhat strange lauding Dimitar Berbatov as the best striker in the world.

The Bulgarian didn't get on the scoresheet at Old Trafford, and on the surface it looked like he had a quiet game against the Germans.

But that, funnily enough, is exactly why Berbatov is considered one of, if not the best strikers in world football today.

The fact he had a such a "quiet game" yet still played a crucial role in three of United's four goals shows that this a striker who can play Wayne Rooney's role and more.

Dimitar Berbatov has been widely criticised for his supposed laziness and lack of movement, unlike Javier Hernandez who is willing to run the channels and chase the ball.

However, whereas Chicharito will run into space just to chase a pass or receive the ball and start an attack, Berbatov's movement is much more tactical and thought-out.

In the first goal for example, where Darron Gibson played Antonio Valencia through on goal, Berbatov's movement across the left centre-back dragged him across and gave Valencia enough space to coolly slot the ball past Manuel Neuer in the Schalke goal.

If it wasn't for Berbatov's movement in that case, bringing his wingers into play and pulling the centre-back back into the middle, the chance would've most likely gone, considering Valencia would've had to side-step an onrushing centre-back before dealing with the full-back who would've also caught up again.

For United's third, when Anderson reacted quickest to eventually tuck the ball home, Berba's lurking presence in front of the goalkeeper sucked one of the centre-backs in, giving Anderson decent enough space to grab his second goal of the season.

Then there was the fourth for Manchester United, where Berbatov got an assist with a most exemplary beating of the full-back.

The former Bulgarian international initially moved towards Antonio Valencia to pick up the ball, before using great agility to immediately turn and sprint into the penalty area to receive the pass, beating the helpless full-back.

And from there, Berbatov placed the ball beautifully between Neuer and the defence for Anderson to double his season's goalscoring tally and get his second of the game.

Overall, thanks to Dimitar Berbatov's brilliant tactical movement, Manchester United were able to beat Schalke 4-1 and progress the final of the UEFA Champions League at Wembley.

It's just a shame for the striker that he failed to get on the scoresheet, with chances of his own few and far between.

However, he did claim an assist, and again showed off his silky technique in the first-half, using his close control, strength and general reading of the defender's movements to skip past two opponents before attempting to play in Antonio Valencia.

It was a game in which Dimitar Berbatov played a very classy, well-disguised behind the scenes role, gracefully making tactical movements across the pitch to bring his teammates into play.

It is such movement, combined with the stellar finishing ability which so far sees him the Premier League's leading scorer with 21 goals, as well as his stunning control of the ball and unparalleled ability to skip past opponents with hardly any space between them, which sees this man as one of the best in the world.

Compared to his attacking teammates, and all typecast strikers across the world (so not including Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi), Dimitar Berbatov is the best there is.

He has the strength of Didier Drogba, the finishing ability of his United strike partners, tactical movement to match David Villa and digressing from pure strikers slightly, the dazzling technique, skill and close control to match Messi or Ronaldo.

Overall, he may not be as good as the above duo and may lack the dynamism of Javier Hernandez, but as an all-round typecast striker, Dimitar Berbatov is the best in the business.

Shame.. Great talent. Hope we dont release him. He is young and will improve his behaviour.

Few months back heard he will be with Rio and Giggs and they will monitor him. Dont know what happened to that..

the guy is a idiot, if it wasnt for the club and football, he'd already be in jail. this is his way out and he just ***** it up

Kind of reminds me of Gavin Henson although its a different sport. Both have so much ability but their idiotic actions will ruin any chance of greatness.

Now that our first team players are fresh and had a week off, we should be able to beat Chelsea at home. Hope we do get a win or at least a draw..

I would like to start with

VDS

Fabio/Rafael* Rio Vidic Evra

Valencia Carrick Giggs Nani

Rooney Berbatov
*I think Rafael had a knock in that mid week game.

Still not sure about the CM part. Will it be Anderson or Giggs. Considering the performance of Giggs against Chelsea i would like to see him starting with Carrick.

Still not sure about Hernandez and Berbatov.

Hernandez did score against Chelsea but he was isolated from the game. He made few brilliant runs and off the ball movements but still I'm not sure whether to start with him.

Berbatov can maintain possession in any situation which will be handy when we play against Chelsea and also his form at OT is brilliant. With the way he played against Schalke, i would be tempted to start with Berba and later on bring Hernandez as a sub to run at tiring legs..​

United is trying to sign Rui Patrício, so it seems. Offered 8 M€.
I hope Sporting's board doesnt sell for less than 15-16, tbh... He's one of the best young goalkeepers in the business.

Busby Babe Lewis Dies.

Eddie Lewis, the former Busby Babe who played 24 times for United between 1952-55, died in Johannesburg on Monday, aged 76, after a long battle with cancer.

His memorial service was held today in his adopted city.

R.I.P. Eddie Lewis

Full Story.

Manchester United again linked with Alexis Sanchez for deal around 30 million euros. It'd great to have him I think what do you think people. Here's his video.

YouTube - Alexis Sanchez -