The Manchester United Thread

Now again i'm just being devils advocate but do you think Maguire, James and AWB are his signings rather than Ed's? Personally two of them don't fit the passing possession style it looks like Ole wants more and more.
Normally I would say Ed in regards to transfers. But these are definitely Oles he’s stated in numerous interviews/ pressers reasons why he wanted each player. They only one that I don’t think was 100% his was James who was recommended to him by Giggs and someone else.

And it is. It's a freakish achievement. I think Chelsea 14/15 were the only team who had 11 players with 1700+ mins. Would love to check that out for lfc

That's a selective comparison mate. McTominay, Fred, Bailly, James, Ighalo, Dalot, TFM etc. are all depth players, and good ones at that. The only problem is some of them (i.e. fred) are momentum players & aren't so good coming out of the cold.
Noticed that about Fred and Mctominey both momentum players who need 2/3 run of games to get going. Don’t know why Ole don’t rate Dalot.

Maguire’s ball-playing abilities are exaggerated, imo, & his flaws, whilst playing for a top team that concedes space, are gonna continuously be highlighted. Really wish we went for Koulibaly or De Ligt (yes, I know he’s had a rocky first season at Juve) instead.
He’s not WC ball playing CB but he’s definitely improved us playing out from the back. Was never worth the fee but I’m happy we signed him. Just need to find him a partner to compliment him.

City and Pep have been an utter disgrace this season, worst title defence ever. They're lucky us, chelsea and spurs are just as **** too or they'd be battling for top 4.
What are you about? Why take things to extremes everytime.
They have 34 more goals than you, 15 more than Pool. Their defence has been let down and also can say unlucky to injuries exactly in that department also.

What are you about? Why take things to extremes everytime.
They have 34 more goals than you, 15 more than Pool. Their defence has been let down and also can say unlucky to injuries exactly in that department also.

Still lost more league games than united, they're 20 points worse off than last year, 20!!. Mercenary City weren't up for the scrap.

Yeah they occasionally turn up and pump teams 6-0, good for them and they might even win the CL, but it's still an absolutely abysmal excuse for a title defence.

Still lost more league games than united, they're 20 points worse off than last year, 20!!. Mercenary City weren't up for the scrap.

Yeah they occasionally turn up and pump teams 6-0, good for them and they might even win the CL, but it's still an absolutely abysmal excuse for a title defence.
And there are teams that lose their manager and drop out from top4 after title season.

Their main guy who clues everything is 34-35 and Rodri is not up for the task not yet.

If they win CL, their season would be even better than winning PL.

Also to note, i might be wrong. But there should be only 3 managers who have won back to back titles in PL: Ferguson, Jose and Pep.

And there are teams that lose their manager and drop out from top4 after title season.

Their main guy who clues everything is 34-35 and Rodri is not up for the task not yet.

If they win CL, their season would be even better than winning PL.

Also to note, i might be wrong. But there should be only 3 managers who have won back to back titles in PL: Ferguson, Jose and Pep.

CL always tops anything for me. There's NO bigger prize in the sport.

Conversely, if they don't win it, you could make a genuine argument, as absurd as it sounds with all the domestic trophies, he's failed at his last two clubs. He was brought into both Munich and City to ultimately win one thing.

Good thread. Not mine btw. Very good points made etc.

Good! Him and Harvey Neville the worst players I’ve seen in our academy in a long time.

We’re delighted to announce the signing of Ben Hockenhull from @ManUtd The youngster will join up with Neil MacFarlane’s #BrentfordB ahead of the new season

He’s not WC ball playing CB but he’s definitely improved us playing out from the back. Was never worth the fee but I’m happy we signed him. Just need to find him a partner to compliment him.
Imagine spending a world-record fee on a CB and having to spend again just to find a player to "compliment" him. Make it make sense...

Imagine spending a world-record fee on a CB and having to spend again just to find a player to "compliment" him. Make it make sense...
Lets think Ferdinand came in for a record fee then a few seasons later Vidic was signed (also for a significant fee) to partner him, same with Steve Bruce and Pallister earlier, sometimes you have to spend to get what you want. How many other teams spend to get it right (Liverpool signed VVD but have still spent millions trying to find a partner for him (yes even Gomes cost over a million from Charlton)), City have also spent a significant amount on their defence. Sometimes you have to wait to get what you want and be prepared to spend more than you like. Personally I don't think the current record fee is going to be broken, it's a buyers market now what with the current virus situation and even some of the traditional bigger clubs will need to sell assets to keep in the black. This will favour clubs who have more diverse economic interests (yes Woody's noodle deals may actually prove to be less of a joke than before).

Lets think Ferdinand came in for a record fee then a few seasons later Vidic was signed (also for a significant fee) to partner him, same with Steve Bruce and Pallister earlier, sometimes you have to spend to get what you want. How many other teams spend to get it right (Liverpool signed VVD but have still spent millions trying to find a partner for him (yes even Gomes cost over a million from Charlton)), City have also spent a significant amount on their defence. Sometimes you have to wait to get what you want and be prepared to spend more than you like. Personally I don't think the current record fee is going to be broken, it's a buyers market now what with the current virus situation and even some of the traditional bigger clubs will need to sell assets to keep in the black. This will favour clubs who have more diverse economic interests (yes Woody's noodle deals may actually prove to be less of a joke than before).

I think this is a straw clutch argument. Prime Rio Ferdinand made any CB he played along side look good. That period back in 08 where we went 14 PL games without conceding a goal, do you remember the CB paring responsible for that run? Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans. VVD is the closest thing I've seen to Rio in terms of this natural leadership aura at the back. Defending next to Prime Rio was probably the easiest position on the pitch.

Last edited:
Not too often this happens: United negotiating deal with City for young Eng striker Charlie McNeill, who rejected pro contract at #mcfc after lack of chances with U18s. #mufc

Anyone feeling the nerves already for Sunday? It's like a cup final and I'm wondering how Leicester are going to approach this game.

1) Try to stick in the game and go for it at the end.

2) After seeing how Southampton, Palace and West Ham have played us, press from the start and put us under pressure.

I've got a feeling they might just go for the throat from the start.... but it's anyones guess. With a CB partnership of Evans and Morgan however, you probably wouldn't want a high line though!

Anyone feeling the nerves already for Sunday? It's like a cup final and I'm wondering how Leicester are going to approach this game.

1) Try to stick in the game and go for it at the end.

2) After seeing how Southampton, Palace and West Ham have played us, press from the start and put us under pressure.

I've got a feeling they might just go for the throat from the start.... but it's anyones guess. With a CB partnership of Evans and Morgan however, you probably wouldn't want a high line though!
Na not nervy. Reckon it will be a boring draw. Leicester have been pretty bad since the lockdown and have about 5/6 players out injured.

Chelsea will lose to wolves

Very excited that we are close to getting McNeil from City. Superb talant like Greenwood level finishing. Just slightly different styles. 600gls at academy level ?

I think this is a straw clutch argument. Prime Rio Ferdinand made any CB he played along side look good. That period back in 08 where we went 14 PL games without conceding a goal, do you remember the CB paring responsible for that run? Rio Ferdinand and Jonny Evans. VVD is the closest thing I've seen to Rio in terms of this natural leadership aura at the back. Defending next to Prime Rio was probably the easiest position on the pitch.
I notice you mentioned nothing about the Bruce/Pallister partnership. As for saying Rio could make any player look good is unfair on the likes of Evans, Terry, Vidic, and Radebe (ok I do give you Wes Brown and Silvestre both of whom were better in the fullback position than CB to be fair) all of whom were top international players for their country. Straw clutch argument maybe, maybe not after all it is very rare for a central defensive partnership to form at Youth level and continue into the senior side of any top level club. Clubs are always on the look out for someone to improve their squad if that means breaking transfer records then so be it.

Last edited: