The Manchester United Thread

VdB and Pogba together in a 2 man midfield is a disaster waiting to happen. Even at Ajax, VdB was rarely the sole midfielder, he was invariably part of a 2 man DM, with him having the freedom to roam. He excels in movement and finding and manipulating spaces - a sole DM, he is not. Neither is he a DLP, atleast not yet. That was always de Jong's role, and he has adapted to his role in Barca too, mainly because of his passing range. Donny is more about movement, creating space and making those clever little runs.

Pogba is the one with the technical ability and the passing range to play DLP in our team. But he doesn't have the positional nous to do so. Making them play together is FM-esque, that's about it.

At the end of the day we can discuss it till we are blue in the face and voice out opinions. But we clearly are not signing a DM or Ole has no interest in playing with a pure DM. People saying Pogba and Donny are an accident waiting to happen etc etc. Well McFred has hardly been great defensively either. I know what 2 I would rather choose and it’s not even close.

as long as its not rice
Rice and there is no chance that is happening. And one from Spanish side Getafe and that was rubbished by Whitwell straight away. We ain’t signing a DM this summer even if Matic goes to Roma like Di Marzio is saying. Garner will likely be staying and Mejbri getting some mins. Forget about a CM coming in.

Am I the only one that thinks Rice is worth whatever price. Reads the game so well and is much better on the ball than given credit for. Seems a proper leader too.

Am I the only one that thinks Rice is worth whatever price. Reads the game so well and is much better on the ball than given credit for. Seems a proper leader too.
I think you are mate. 90m£ quoted in the Guardian, Times, Telegraph the last couple of days 🤣🤣

— James Cooper: "The centre-back position has been an issue for several seasons now with no outstanding contender to start alongside Harry Maguire, so that will be addressed this Summer." #mufc #mujournal

— James Cooper: "That will also have a knock-on effect to the central midfield positions and United could well be in the market for a player that lessens the need for a double-pivot and frees up Paul Pogba to express himself. But is not a priority this Summer." #mufc #mujournal

— James Cooper: "Pogba's immediate future, with a year left on his current deal, is a live issue along with Manchester United's goalkeeping options plus the fate of Jesse Lingard." #mufc #mujournal

— James Cooper: "I'd expect a goalkeeper to arrive and one to depart. Tom Heaton looks the clear favourite.” #mufc #mujournal

— James Cooper: "Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has spoken about 'finetuning' this summer rather than wholesale changes with a suggestion there'll be one major, marquee signing accompanied by 2 other new faces." #mufc #mujournal

— James Cooper: "After extending Edinson Cavani's stay in Manchester and with hopes high for Mason Greenwood's continuing development, it would be a huge surprise if one of either Harry Kane or Erling Haaland arrived at Old Trafford." #mufc #mujournal

— James Cooper: "Raising finance from player sales or freeing up big chunks of wages from departures will, again, allow a greater flexibility and Solskjaer and his recruitment team also remain keen on Jadon Sancho." #mufc #mujournal

— James Cooper: "The key to what #mufc want to do, against a backdrop where supporters are demanding big names despite the impact of COVID, is close the gap on Manchester City and prepare for a real tilt at the Champions League next season." #mujournal

Andy Mitten just been on a pod and said Tom Heaton to Utd is done and dusted all terms agreed. Will be announced after the EL final.

Eric Bailly: "I don’t want to be a starter one game and a substitute for another five. If that happens I will have to look for another solution. The new contract is fine but if I don’t play I will be open to listen to other proposals." #mulive [times]

Eric Bailly: "When he [Mourinho] was sacked from Tottenham I sent him a message and when he signed for Roma I spoke to him on the phone. We had a few laughs. He’s a coach I’ve always been good with. Hopefully he’ll do well in Italy and we’ll meet in the future." #mulive [times]