The Manchester United Thread

Quite enjoyed that. Great way to finish the season. A win with lots of academy players on show. And going the whole season unbeaten away from home the first time it’s happened since Arsenals invincibles.

Maybe Ole doesn’t want to play that way and is only doing so because he hasn’t the CB pairing he wants so he bubble wraps them with McFred. Maybe he wants to go the same way as Fergie once he has the rest of his team sorted out. Pogba doing the Scholes role with VDB doing the Carrick deep lying play maker role just ticking things over and making interceptions. We won’t know till the season starts I guessing. I’ve conned myself into thinking we need a pure DM destroyer to play Pogba in CM which simply isn’t the case having a long think about it.
It's not cornering yourself, it's actually the case. Pogba is an attacking playmaker playing in central midfield. Most of his best performances (France, Juventus) have come when he has had a player alongside him doing the defensive work.

Also, I highly doubt Pogba can play the DLP role. Most United fans thought he would be the eventual replacement for Scholes when he came here - he isn't. He doesn't dictate tempo nor does he stay back, plus his defensive discipline is okay, at best. He is a ball carrier and link-up player. That is mostly his role when playing for France (he was the most attacking of the trio in Juventus). He can play that role in FM, sure (and I do use him in a 2-man midfield as a DLP), but IRL, I doubt it.

It's not cornering yourself, it's actually the case. Pogba is an attacking playmaker playing in central midfield. Most of his best performances (France, Juventus) have come when he has had a player alongside him doing the defensive work.

Also, I highly doubt Pogba can play the DLP role. Most United fans thought he would be the eventual replacement for Scholes when he came here - he isn't. He doesn't dictate tempo nor does he stay back, plus his defensive discipline is okay, at best. He is a ball carrier and link-up player. That is mostly his role when playing for France (he was the most attacking of the trio in Juventus). He can play that role in FM, sure (and I do use him in a 2-man midfield as a DLP), but IRL, I doubt it.
He doesn’t need to play DLP. Donny today proved that he can play that 6 role at a very top level. Him and Pogba could magic.

On the topic of Van Der Beek, I think Scouse was vindicated by his performance today in that no.8 role

There were times he was as deep as Matic they basically played as a 2 like McFred. With Donny making the odd run fwd.
Being a #6 is a lot more than dropping deep. VdB lost his player numerous time throughout the game, even Henderson went sprinting towards him telling him to follow his man. And he doesn't have the passing range. Two things you not need, require to have to be a defensive midfielder.

Being a #6 is a lot more than dropping deep. VdB lost his player numerous time throughout the game, even Henderson went sprinting towards him telling him to follow his man. And he doesn't have the passing range. Two things you not need, require to have to be a defensive midfielder.
His passing range is very good lol. And Henderson raced out to berate him for letting his players have a long range shot. Only thing that bothered me was he looked tired after about 70 mins. But that’s likely due to lack of game time.

Same goes for Matic who was cramping up.

Yeah, sure. Donny is best DM in the world, Henderson is world class and De Gea is ***** and Maguire is mix between Roy Keane and Bryan Robson.
There, I agreed with you and I'm happy to move on from discussing football with you anymore.

Yeah, sure. Donny is best DM in the world, Henderson is world class and De Gea is ***** and Maguire is mix between Roy Keane and Bryan Robson.
There, I agreed with you and I'm happy to move on from discussing football with you anymore.
Don't forget Lindelof being the 2nd coming of Beckanbauer.