The Manchester United Thread

If it was anyone bar Southgate it'd be mad he hasn't started already. One of the top young attacking talents in World football barely playing in a major tournament? Utter madness, And with a distinct lack of leadership, if Henderson isn't now starting in place of Rice, he deserves all he gets the tougher the tournament gets,

But it is Southgate. So neither is any surprise.
Yeah, although you can kinda understand why, with both of them. But it's mad that Sancho has barely had any minutes till now. Henderson is still understandable, considering he hasn't played a lot recently due to the injury, and Rice and Phillips were more mobile.

Honestly though, I'd replace Rashford with Sancho. Rashford should have ideally had his surgery and rested (and skipped Euros), but eh.

I think, from now on, he may alternate sides. Sterling and Kane seem nailed on starters, so it might be Saka/Rashford to stretch defences and Sancho/Grealish as creators. Sterling's decision making has been quite sketchy (excluding the mistake that almost led to the equaliser). Need to get someone else on the left, Sterling barely linked up whereas Grealish and Shaw connected well for both goals.

@Sherkey

Mate, if Henderson’s not fit to start by now, why is he even in the squad?

He’s been back full-go training for over 2 months now.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m personally happy he isn’t playing. But it’s utterly mad to me how you wouldn’t start effectively the captain/ best leader of the group.

Last edited:
If it was anyone bar Southgate it'd be mad he hasn't started already. One of the top young attacking talents in World football barely playing in a major tournament? Utter madness, And with a distinct lack of leadership, if Henderson isn't now starting in place of Rice, he deserves all he gets the tougher the tournament gets,

Sancho aside, Henderson not playing is dumb. He offers more than Rice and in my eyes he pairs better with Kalvin.

I think it's all down to the environment he's in and how he's been developed.

I'd wager he'd be a competent CF under different circumstances already but it is what it is.
It is worth noting this was the first genuinely poor season he's had so he could just be going through personal issues.

With that said, I feel his development rolled back years with Jose.

I mean, he started a RB at left back vs Croatia while having 2 fully fit left backs on the bench

Nothing surprises me anymore

@Sherkey

Mate, if Henderson’s not fit to start by now, why is he even in the squad?

He’s been back full-go training for over 2 months now.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m personally happy he isn’t playing. But it’s utterly mad to me how you wouldn’t start effectively the captain/ best leader of the group.
Fair point. Very honestly, my midfield trio would probably be Phillips, Henderson and Foden (as a playmaker), with Bellingham replacing Henderson after 60-70 minutes for energetic ball winning. But then again, if he is fully fit, dunno why he isn't starting. I mean, Maguire started a match earlier than I would've liked, but what the ****.

What I was irritated with in the first couple of matches was how Foden was deployed. It's like they just saw he was on the wings at City and replicated that, without any nuance as to how and why he played there (and how that position was interpreted).

I reckon the shackles might be slightly taken off in today's match, especially since Sancho is starting. Let's see.

It is worth noting this was the first genuinely poor season he's had so he could just be going through personal issues.

With that said, I feel his development rolled back years with Jose.
Can you imagine that terrifying front-line if Martial is fit, fine and back to form? There's Sancho, Rashford and Martial - all three of whom are madly quick, can dribble exceedingly well at pace and can play across positions. It practically becomes a fluid front three. Add Greenwood to that mix, and it's a rather good front three. And young, with potential to develop so much more. All this, with Bruno pinging passes behind them.

Although, I would rather prefer it if Rashford gets his surgery. He's been playing through the pain barrier for close to a year now, I think. It's madness. United recommended he skip Euros, but he was adamant in attending it. Might hurt us short term, but we should be able to compensate with Sancho on the left and Greenwood on the right.

Can you imagine that terrifying front-line if Martial is fit, fine and back to form? There's Sancho, Rashford and Martial - all three of whom are madly quick, can dribble exceedingly well at pace and can play across positions. It practically becomes a fluid front three. Add Greenwood to that mix, and it's a rather good front three. And young, with potential to develop so much more. All this, with Bruno pinging passes behind them.

Although, I would rather prefer it if Rashford gets his surgery. He's been playing through the pain barrier for close to a year now, I think. It's madness. United recommended he skip Euros, but he was adamant in attending it. Might hurt us short term, but we should be able to compensate with Sancho on the left and Greenwood on the right.
For attacking players in the league we are as good as any in quality and depth. Need to sort out the back and CM now

That made me literally LOL.

But joking aside, I'd honestly take both Martial and van de Beek in a heartbeat in a perfect World.

Both would be absolutely perfect fits and fulfil their talent under Klopp.
You can have Martial he is the classic example of a player who flatters to deceive, I honestly doubt even Klopp would get any sort of consistency out of him. However, Van De Beek is another matter I feel he just needs to be allowed the opportunity to play he proved that several times towards the end of the season when his off the ball movement resulted either in a chance or a goal.

You can have Martial he is the classic example of a player who flatters to deceive, I honestly doubt even Klopp would get any sort of consistency out of him. However, Van De Beek is another matter I feel he just needs to be allowed the opportunity to play he proved that several times towards the end of the season when his off the ball movement resulted either in a chance or a goal.

He’s Utds best player IMHO. As he was in the Ajax team he left. End of.

Just they have a clueless manager who doesn’t know how to play him.And its killing his career right now.

That, precisely, is part of the problem, I think. He is insanely good with his off the ball movement, but our style seems more geared towards quick transitions and counters, and OGS seems to prefer a more structured approach. In such a scenario, he just isn't picking vDB, which is problematic.

If we get a proper CB in, and maybe a new defensive midfielder, vDB will be fielded more (and more towards his natural style). The counter clearly is problematic, especially against low-blocks. Presence of Sancho in the team should help in changing our style too, hopefully.

He’s Utds best player IMHO. As he was in the Ajax team he left. End of.

Just they have a clueless manager who doesn’t know how to play him.And its killing his career right now.
Maybe or maybe he doesn't want to upset Pogba. I feel he was brought in to replace Pogba, who if Covid hadn't hit would probably be playing for Madrid now. Unfortunately Covid has affected Spanish football big time and Real Madrid and Barca more than others. Barca nor Real wouldn't be chasing free agents for one, even if they are Aguero, Alaba and Depay that's for certain.

And its killing his career right now.

My heart breaks for him.
Imagine turning up for work everyday at €300 an hour to sit in the break room drinking sports drinks and watching everyone else work.
Then getting your every physical and mental need cared for by dietitians and fitness instructors.

I'd hate that :cry: