The Manchester United Thread

Going from that game the likes of Lingard, AWB and possibly Mata and Matic (although I think there is more chance of Mata retiring to be honest) will be shown the door in January. Lingard should be playing in a W Ham shirt now and under anyone but Ole he would have been, Mata should not of had his contract extended, AWB has proved at best he is a poor quality back up and should not be even considered as the main RB, Matic to be fair was playing out of position (I'm sure if Jones had been available he would have partnered Bailly) but even that said he was poor at doing even the basics he had been known for. Donny just didn't take his chance to shine but it was hardly surprising when his midfield partner was Mata. The youngsters just proved that they weren't yet ready for regular 1st team football, given time they may make it but whether it is at Man Utd is another matter. The game just proved that outside of the 1st team regulars the back up options are either too old, not up to standard or just not ready. Ultimately however, the draw didn't matter too much, qualification had been already guaranteed, yes YBs had something to play for but even they didn't do themselves justice. A poor team, a poor game but a just about acceptable result. The team to play Norwich will be different (we may even get to see Jones kicking a ball in anger lol) thankfully.

Think because of the mistake leading up to the goal Donny is getting a rough unfair ride. He was good in a underaged way.

Most interceptions, most tackles and most passes into the final third out of anyone. Also covered most ground of any player. Proved he can be a good option next to either Fred or McTominey.

Only players coming out with credit last night are Henderson, Bailly, Shaw, DVB, Greenwood, Mengi.

But that said it’s hard to judge really in a team full of youth, old and players that have hardly played for ages under Ole. And a few returning from injuries.

Going from that game the likes of Lingard, AWB and possibly Mata and Matic (although I think there is more chance of Mata retiring to be honest) will be shown the door in January. Lingard should be playing in a W Ham shirt now and under anyone but Ole he would have been, Mata should not of had his contract extended, AWB has proved at best he is a poor quality back up and should not be even considered as the main RB, Matic to be fair was playing out of position (I'm sure if Jones had been available he would have partnered Bailly) but even that said he was poor at doing even the basics he had been known for. Donny just didn't take his chance to shine but it was hardly surprising when his midfield partner was Mata. The youngsters just proved that they weren't yet ready for regular 1st team football, given time they may make it but whether it is at Man Utd is another matter. The game just proved that outside of the 1st team regulars the back up options are either too old, not up to standard or just not ready. Ultimately however, the draw didn't matter too much, qualification had been already guaranteed, yes YBs had something to play for but even they didn't do themselves justice. A poor team, a poor game but a just about acceptable result. The team to play Norwich will be different (we may even get to see Jones kicking a ball in anger lol) thankfully.

Absolutely bang on about the depth. Or lack there in. This is a really poor, terribly built Utd squad. And it starts with sub-standard, different skill-set starters that need replacing to players that fit a club identity before you even get to the depth.Always amused me the props Ole madly got for that when you aren't in a much better position squad wise than when he took over if truth be told but I digress .....

But just on the highlighted-

And I'll preface this by Rangnick just coming in and taking the opportunity to look at his charges. Which is understandable considering that context and acceptable last night.

But, under normal circumstances, there's no such thing as a 'dead rubber' in the CL. That's a fan thing. 'Rest the whole team/ Save injuries/ It's a nothing game!' et al. We've had the exact same the last two games after wrapping up qualification early. What people conveniently forget, or just flat out aren't interested in, is there's not only millions at stake for every CL point. But they, along with goals et al, all go toward your coefficient for future years the mad way they define that. So EVERY game in the CL is vital towards the clubs future from the clubs POV. And that's before you even get to the fans that go the game. Try telling them the game doesn't matter as they get P wet through to make a midweek match their team has already qualified in!

Plus you can't put an XI of kids out now without sanction from UEFA. You can delve into your registered squad list as deep as you want. But you have to be savvy how you use the B list. They changed that a few years ago. And you need to put them alongside experience to help them and talk them through or else you risk ruining them and their confidence before their careers have even begun. There has to be the balance. Putting the kids out and getting walloped benefits nobody. Worst use of a development tool you can do that. (The same in FA/ L Cup teams these days.).

The general Internet fan only see's things one way and that's player fatigue/ injuries. When it's far more nuanced than that.

Just been bugging me at the same claims from a lot of ours the last two group games. Again this week pre-game screaming blue murder that key starters played in Milan.

The youngsters just proved that they weren't yet ready for regular 1st team football, given time they may make it but whether it is at Man Utd is another matter...
Now, that's a bit unfair to Mengi, whom I was very impressed with. I think there's a role he can play somewhere.

Now, that's a bit unfair to Mengi, whom I was very impressed with. I think there's a role he can play somewhere.

Tidy player but it was VERY slim pickings mate wasn't it?

Must have been a real eye opener for Rangnik, if he didn't know already, at just how poorly coached and bereft of quality this squad is. Any half-decent side would have run up 3 or 4 on you last night. And this was a Utd side with still £250 million or so on the pitch made to look distinctly average against Young Boys.

A valuable exercise for the coach as to just how massive the task ahead is.

As it's the season .....

1639071427441.png

No more hugging and it’s alright matey.

Scott McTominay: "If players aren't doing what you're asking then obviously he's [Rangnick] not shy to tell them." #mulive [sky]

Tidy player but it was VERY slim pickings mate wasn't it?

Must have been a real eye opener for Rangnik, if he didn't know already, at just how poorly coached and bereft of quality this squad is. Any half-decent side would have run up 3 or 4 on you last night. And this was a Utd side with still £250 million or so on the pitch made to look distinctly average against Young Boys.

A valuable exercise for the coach as to just how massive the task ahead is.
On the flip side of things, we could've easily scored 3-4 more goals ourselves. With 2 games in charge, I've seen this recurrent theme (albeit 2 different sides) of legs giving up after 35 mins.

Was this an issue with you lot under Klopp in his early days?

On the flip side of things, we could've easily scored 3-4 more goals ourselves. With 2 games in charge, I've seen this recurrent theme (albeit 2 different sides) of legs giving up after 35 mins.

Was this an issue with you lot under Klopp in his early days?

Ebbed and flowed. Started off they’d be run into the ground after an hour or so and built from there. 4 or 5 games in they’d go the full 90 flat out. Then maybe struggle the next game etc. We had a horrendous injury list that first year and were literally down to an XI and kids the back end the run in to the Europa final. He basically sacrificed the league and kept them for that. Miracle how he got to to 2 finals that first 7 months with that *****.

Yeah gonna be a few teething problems. Can’t really do any fitness work or training. I’m expecting the 35-60 min mark gassing to be a regular pattern for the remainder of the season. Hopefully we can get the goals we need. Then his structure and control can see us through to top 4.

Fitness is one thing, but having a wide bench is a big part of it.

Sounds like Lingard, Martial will be able to leave on perm deals in Jan if any takers come along and Henderson will go out on loan and Ragnick will use Heston as back up.

Also Pogba should be available after the new year.

Mino Raiola to @Sport1 on Paul Pogba's future: "We have many offers for Pogba, including a contract extension proposal [from Man United] We'll see what's best for him". #MUFC #Bayern "Pogba to FC Bayern? Impossible - they're not paying this kind of salary". @berger_pj

Mino Raiola to @Sport1 on Paul Pogba's future: "We have many offers for Pogba, including a contract extension proposal [from Man United] We'll see what's best for him". #MUFC #Bayern "Pogba to FC Bayern? Impossible - they're not paying this kind of salary". @berger_pj
Ironic he says this and then states there's a chance Haaland signs for Bayern who's not going to pay him that rumored £600k a week

Yeah gonna be a few teething problems. Can’t really do any fitness work or training. I’m expecting the 35-60 min mark gassing to be a regular pattern for the remainder of the season. Hopefully we can get the goals we need. Then his structure and control can see us through to top 4.

You resurrected Jesus for that type of miracle then?

Stil the same ***** on the pitch.

Martial spends a few mins pressing in training under Rangnick and then wants to leave. You can't make this up 😂

Ironic he says this and then states there's a chance Haaland signs for Bayern who's not going to pay him that rumored £600k a week

He's one horrible lil' rat him.

F knows why any club deals with him. He's always looking at a players next move and the one after that to line his pockets. Same with Haaland. He'll be thinking City for a few years then Madrid.

He's one horrible lil' rat him.

F knows why any club deals with him. He's always looking at a players next move and the one after that to line his pockets. Same with Haaland. He'll be thinking City for a few years then Madrid.
Unfortunately, he represents some of the biggest names/talents in football so it maybe hard to avoid him. I feel it requires a collective effort from clubs to just stop working with players he represents which would then deter players from hiring him as an agent.

Back