The Manchester United Thread

Maybe mate 🤷🏻‍♂️

I was curious so I checked .....

Since they integrated Cat. One Academy's into the tournament in 2016/17, only 5 times has an academy side reached the quarters-
2016/17 Swansea
2017/18 Chelsea
2018/19 City
2019/20 Leicester
2021/22 Arsenal

With Chelsea the only one to progress to the semi which they lost in 2017/18.

Utd failed to get out the groups last year. Next year will be L'pool's 4th year of participating and of the previous 9 group games, we've still yet to win 1.

It's really tough in so far as you're coming up against seasoned pro's who know every trick in the book and punish every little mistake. Most of the games we've played, we've played the league team off the park for 50/60 minuets, ran out of gas, and got punished heavily late on. And set-pieces is another hard learning curve that our kids have been punished with against savvier, far bigger, physical players in the air. And with the games normally being scheduled for International breaks, you're even more weakened as most of the top players are away with their Nations U18/ 19/ 20/ 21's.

So the prospects of an academy side ever winning this tournament/ making the Wembley final are the slim side of slim.

But I personally like it as a really good development/ teaching tool where results really don't matter and it's all about proper cup football experience against grown men.

Whether I'd like academy sides developing in the competition if I followed a League One/ League Two side is a whole other discussion.

I was curious so I checked .....

Since they integrated Cat. One Academy's into the tournament in 2016/17, only 5 times has an academy side reached the quarters-
2016/17 Swansea
2017/18 Chelsea
2018/19 City
2019/20 Leicester
2021/22 Arsenal

With Chelsea the only one to progress to the semi which they lost in 2017/18.

Utd failed to get out the groups last year. Next year will be L'pool's 4th year of participating and of the previous 9 group games, we've still yet to win 1.

It's really tough in so far as you're coming up against seasoned pro's who know every trick in the book and punish every little mistake. Most of the games we've played, we've played the league team off the park for 50/60 minuets, ran out of gas, and got punished heavily late on. And set-pieces is another hard learning curve that our kids have been punished with against savvier, far bigger, physical players in the air. And with the games normally being scheduled for International breaks, you're even more weakened as most of the top players are away with their Nations U18/ 19/ 20/ 21's.

So the prospects of an academy side ever winning this tournament/ making the Wembley final are the slim side of slim.

But I personally like it as a really good development/ teaching tool where results really don't matter and it's all about proper cup football experience against grown men.

Whether I'd like academy sides developing in the competition if I followed a League One/ League Two side is a whole other discussion.
Thanks for checking mate saved me looking lol. Can’t remember what cup it was were we beat a couple of league 1 or 2 teams. I will look later.

@SamiMokbel81_DM
EXC: Man Utd set to appoint lawyer Tom Keane to key transfer role. Keane expected to join on a consultancy basis and will take on responsibilities vacated by outgoing Matt Judge. Story with @AdrianJKajumba

Brandsmiths website reads: 'In sport, Tom has vast experience in the football industry where he has become a trusted advisor and representative for household name players, managers and pundits.
'His work for these clients includes negotiating high value transfers, contracts and endorsement agreements.' Keane is also listed on the website of player agency New Era Global Sports as an FA registered intermediary.

so with all the staff ins and outs nothing has changed still cant get deals done for players my god this is getting boring
What did you expect with so many changes at top level and scouting at the back end of the season. A new manager and a coaching restructure. Add to that no CL.

It was always going to be a difficult summer to expect any different was just setting yourself up to be dissapointed. We are clearly trying to change the way we operate by trying to negotiate lower transfer and bring our wages down. If it’s like this next summer then there’s absolutely no excuse and the so called new guys deserve every bit of s.hit from the fans.

Latest on Greenwood

Samuel Luckhurst
@samuelluckhurst
Statement from GMP: ‘Following a hearing yesterday (Thursday 23 June 2022), a 20-year-old man arrested on suspicion of rape, assault and making threats to kill on Sunday 30 January 2022 remains on bail.’

De Gea, Henderson, Heaton, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe, Williams, Shaw, Van de Beek, Amad, Sancho, Martial and Rashford are all expected to be at Carrington on Monday. [Samuel Luckhurst, MEN]

The majority of #mufc’s June international participants are scheduled to start training on July 4. [Samuel Luckhurst, MEN]

Some #mufc players reported at Carrington for pre-season medicals today ahead of the start of pre-season training on Monday #mulive [@samuelluckhurst]

Erik ten Hag is due to be at #mufc tomorrow to get things ready for training #mulive [@sistoney67]

Hopefully Levitt can secure another move back to Dundee and have another excellent season. Could come back and replace Fred who I can see leaving end of the upcoming season.