The Manchester United Thread

Lad, he’s scored 10 senior goals…ten! and we’re paying £72 million for that.
It was more tolerable at £51 million but £72 million? You’re taking a ****.

As there's so few of them, with so many top clubs looking for a #9, that's the premium on forwards who just have potential sadly. Never mind proven ones. You aren't buying Hojlund for this season. Or at least you shouldn't be. You are buying him for what you envisage he'll develop into. I'd be far more concerned on the bat **** crazy 'keeper personally who I think will cost you far more points than De Gea ever did. But who'll make you far better in transition/ quick counters the other way. It's an interesting payoff. But regardless .....

The really interesting thing for me is the pressure both the Arsenal and United managers are now under with the spend.

Arteta is running at nearly £600 million in his his 4th season. (£591.975 M.). With just an FA Cup and CS to show for it.

Your fella' has now gone through £400 million (£407.7 M) in a calendar year! Which must be a record only Guardiola will have topped surely? Side note- 'YSB! Get out of our club!'

Both Arsenal and Utd surely have to be seriously challenging for the league and CL with that spend? And I don't see either coming remotely near to doing that personally.

It will be interesting to watch this play out when the money is at this mad level.

There ain't be no challenging for PL and CL until more dross gets replaced, unless some of that dross steps up big time.
United still does not have a backup striker, right winger and defensive midfielder. And by the time bench is good enough, some key players will be older and in need of a replacement.

That's a lot of money.
But... It's not mine, so I don't give a rat's a.ss what they paid for him.

Let's see what happens.
ETH is the expert. Not us.

Our so called title challenge this season will depend on the rest of the window and a lot of ifs. If we ship out the dross and get the players rumoured to replace them then that should put us a lot closer imo.

But like I said we have a lot of ifs atm going into ETH second season. We will still be a STR short ( unless the club bring back Greenwood ) and Martial is no longer relied on.

I agree with Scouse a little on the GK situation. Yes he will hugely improve our way of play and transition to ETH ball. But there’s gonna be some teething problems as it develops and players get use to it. And like Scouse said will likely cost us points this season. Which is fine on the road to the ultimate end goal.

I think we will be strong in defence and Midfield again this season even see improvements on last.

My worries are the attack. Far too many questions imo for a genuine total challenge throughout the whole season. Rashford will need to do the same again. Garnacho will need to make another step in his development and improve on last season.

Then there’s the curious case of what Sancho we will get. Yes he’s looked a long sharper and fitter, stronger this pre season. Yes he has all the talent. Now we need to see him deliver and hopefully he has his head sorted out.

On Antony despite his first season inconsistencies we always looked a far more balanced and dangerous team in transition when he played. Hopefully he’s worked with Benny McCarthy on his finishing. If he has consistency in that then he will be huge for us this season. Because tactically with and when we don’t have the ball he’s excellent.

Then like I said to light up top even if Greenwood does come back he’s not played in 18 months. Despite training for a while now he will be nowhere near match fitness or sharpness. Can’t expect Hoylund to come in and score 20+ league gls first season. Martial is a crock and can’t be relied upon.

I reckon we will see a lot of improvement again in ETH second season in many aspects. But on a title Challenge I think we will be thereor round abouts at Xmas period but will fade away as the season goes on mainly due to depth. I can defo see us doing well in the cups again.

Things that excite me this season is what will bring for the likes of Mainoo, Diallo, Hannibal and a few other youngsters. And obviously the return of CL🤩

Amarabat will likely be our cheapest signing this summer. But could honestly be our second most important signing. Genuine quality squad player and a quality replacement for Casemiro if he gets suspended or injured. Could be great in games against the likes of City, Pool in which we usually would get over run especially when Eriksen played.

I'd be far more concerned on the bat **** crazy 'keeper personally who I think will cost you far more points than De Gea ever did. But who'll make you far better in transition/ quick counters the other way. It's an interesting payoff. But regardless .....

The really interesting thing for me is the pressure both the Arsenal and United managers are now under with the spend.

I expect a few howlers from him. With how high his starting position is, I’m expect 1/2 long range lobs next season. That said, I still believe he’ll be a net positive for us. Like you said, he’d make us a better team in transitional moments. I don’t think I’ve seen a GK make better line breaking low passes with the confidence and frequency that he does. Reminds me a bit of Barthez whom I think would’ve been far more appreciated in this era

There ain't be no challenging for PL and CL until more dross gets replaced, unless some of that dross steps up big time.
United still does not have a backup striker, right winger and defensive midfielder. And by the time bench is good enough, some key players will be older and in need of a replacement.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, Utd are nowhere near a 90 plus point side you madly have to put up now to even be in the conversation. I think it will be a big achievement if you manage top 4 again personally with that squad and CL football as well. This season won’t be like the last mad one with the WC and major clubs dropping off.

I do, however, think it will lead to Utd being a real fun watch with goals galore both ends.

Just observing that with spends as big as those two have had, inevitably the pressure to deliver silverware ramps up.

Last edited:
Oh, don’t get me wrong, Utd are nowhere near a 90 plus point side you madly have to put up now to even be in the conversation. I think it will be a big achievement if you manage top 4 again personally with that squad and CL football as well. This season won’t be like the last mad one with the WC and major clubs dropping off.

I do, however, think it will lead to Utd being a real fun watch with goals galore both ends.

Just observing that with spends as big as those two have had, inevitably the pressure to deliver silverware ramps up.
Other than City, and on paper Chelsea ( who have other issues) and Arsenal, no one has a squad to challenge for both PL and CL.

Arsenal don't have the squad to challenge for anything as they showed last year and haven't improved their depth to any significant degree.

They are stacked on paper. They have at least 2 PL quality players in every position. They really should challenge, only excuse is if they get some serious injury to Saka/Saliba/Odegaard, or Arteta ***** the bed again.

They have a lot of average and unproven players also and have brought terribly imo for the money spent. Xhaka will be a huge loss imo!

They are stacked on paper. They have at least 2 PL quality players in every position. They really should challenge, only excuse is if they get some serious injury to Saka/Saliba/Odegaard, or Arteta ***** the bed again.

Bar having the English equivalent of Mignolet in goals, a massive drop off in defensive depth, and the same in attack which is even worse, I’d agree.

Throw in the CL, which Arteta can’t just bin off like he has the Europa, and I don’t personally see them getting anywhere near a 90 plus point season.

Bar having the English equivalent of Mignolet in goals, a massive drop off in defensive depth, and the same in attack which is even worse, I’d agree.

Throw in the CL, which Arteta can’t just bin off like he has the Europa, and I don’t personally see them getting anywhere near a 90 plus point season.
Regardless of what you might think, Ramsdale is a good keeper. Not on a top level, but if he's the weak link, then you're golden.
Throw in a Timber, who ads a lot of depth, and if he adapts, quality as well.
Rice is one of the best midfielders in PL and huge upgrade on Xhaka.
Havertz is.. uhm.. interesting. One thing he adds is depth. He can cover both striker, wings and whatever Odegaard plays.
Martinelli and Saka are getting better and better. They have nice depth on the wings, or maybe just I rate Trossard.
Jesus and Nketieh (sorry about sp) are better striking duo than anything else in the league bar City.
On (my) paper, I think Arsenal should challenge.

Back