The Manchester United Thread

Sir Jim Ratcliffe: "We will decide the style of football, with the general manager, the sporting director and probably the recruitment managers, and it will be #mufc's style of football, and the manager will have to play that style."

Sir Jim Ratcliffe on the women’s team: “I think any team that wears that Manchester United badge on their shirt is important to the club. They're wearing the badge and they need to be successful in winning. We will be improving the structures that’s for sure" [mu]

Mellisa Brown joining the women’s setup.

“This week I start my new chapter as U21s Head Coach at @ManUtdWomen. Excited for the journey ahead at this fantastic club with a group of very talented players & staff”

Also newly appointed head of women’s football Polly Bancroft has been told she will no longer be needed after the season. As Ineos look to set up a proper structure over the summer on the women’s side also.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe: "We will decide the style of football, with the general manager, the sporting director and probably the recruitment managers, and it will be #mufc's style of football, and the manager will have to play that style."
who the H E L L does he think he is to tell any manager what style he should play clown

who the H E L L does he think he is to tell any manager what style he should play clown
Tbh that’s what all the big clubs do. Not directly tell the manager how they should play. But have an idea of style then choose a manager to match then everything is in synergy and everyone is on the same page. It helps massively with stability and would have saved the **** show we have had since Fergie left. If you’re not all working together and share a vision going forward you will continue to be a mess. It’s the reason @Scouseinthehouse wants Franks from Brentford. He would be an ideal Klopp replacement and slot right in to the style and squad Liverpool already have assembled. So he’s not really a clown!

More like we should recruit according to how we want to play. Can’t hire Simeone and tell him to play the united way.
Yep he mentions this and the structure in whole a fair bit in both interviews. It’s been glaringly obvious to us for years the issues. So he’s not telling us anything new. It’s his job now to get it sorted asap. I was surprised how forward he was on Dan Ashworth tbh.

That’s where smart recruitment comes in and probably best not to have such an outlay in one single window (don’t want a Chelsea situation). Instead, if a good offer comes in, sell Rashford knowing we have an upcoming garnacho and dip into the market for a more traditional left winger type with good crossing ability (build around Hojlund’s strengths).
Yeah, I agree. Smart recuitment is key, but we are yet to see it. Hopefully things are finally changed with Omar and maybe Ashworth.
This is what irks me the most. Why not have list of player for each position so if offer comes in, ie for Rashford, and its good enough to sell him, you check the list and contact player #1, if he's not it, then #2 etc, etc.
Everything so far seemed like a panic buy.

If we are bringing in 2 cb like what’s being reported. A starter and a younger rotation option. 2 cbs could easily leave.

As for the youngsters I don’t agree. Maybe on Hannibal and Gore but he’s shown just as much ability as Mainoo did coming through. Most likely needs a loan. Pellistri, Fernandez, Amad could all do a good job as rotation players.

Interesting summer ahead and big decisions to be made!
We were having those reports for a long time. Hopeful that things are changed. But changing so many first team players in one season is never easy and rarely goes well.

Yeah, I agree. Smart recuitment is key, but we are yet to see it. Hopefully things are finally changed with Omar and maybe Ashworth.
This is what irks me the most. Why not have list of player for each position so if offer comes in, ie for Rashford, and its good enough to sell him, you check the list and contact player #1, if he's not it, then #2 etc, etc.
Everything so far seemed like a panic buy.
Good thing about SJR interviews snippets is that he can see and has said what we have all been saying for years. Proof will be in the pudding but it’s encouraging. And I can’t wait for the full interview releases to come out tomorrow.

@Scouseinthehouse wants Franks from Brentford. He would be an ideal Klopp replacement and slot right in to the style and squad Liverpool already have assembled.
I’ll admit, I am a bit shocked @Scouseinthehouse isn’t on the Xabi Alonso train like many, many scousers I know (Klopp himself included). Understandably, I think he’d be a wild card and could go wrong under different circumstances to Leverkusen.

That said, Frank is as insufferable as they come so he’ll fit right in 🙃

Good thing about SJR interviews snippets is that he can see and has said what we have all been saying for years. Proof will be in the pudding but it’s encouraging. And I can’t wait for the full interview releases to come out tomorrow.

This here is my standout quote.

"If you look at the 11 years that have gone since David Gill and Sir Alex have stepped down, there have been a whole series of coaches, some of which were very good - and none of them were successful, or survived for very long," Ratcliffe said.

"And you can't blame all the coaches. The only conclusion you can draw is that the environment in which they were working, didn't work. And Erik's been in that environment."

I’ll admit, I am a bit shocked @Scouseinthehouse isn’t on the Xabi Alonso train like many, many scousers I know (Klopp himself included). Understandably, I think he’d be a wild card and could go wrong under different circumstances to Leverkusen.

That said, Frank is as insufferable as they come so he’ll fit right in 🙃

I’m like Jurgen mate when he was asked about Xabi, saying what a wonderful job he was doing. Someone asked and I just noted how much they like Frank as all the data we collate has Brentford standing out as the closest to what we do.

But, like Jurgen, I’m not on any train mate apart from his right now as we have too much left to hopefully achieve under him this season.

The next manager can wait until after the Cup Final n May.

Last edited:
3/4 weeks the club have just confirmed 😭😭 what a season

So if it's 3 weeks, that's:
  • Fulham
  • Forest (cup)
  • City
  • Everton
  • Sheffield utd

Congratulations to @manutd - who have tonight won the FootballvHomophobia professional club of the year award for their efforts to improve allyship towards the LGBTQ community over the past 12 months. @FvHtweets

SJR first trophy 😁