The Manchester United Thread

The issue with DDG was punching rather than open palm, which suggests he didn't back himself or has an injury. Because his technique and stance is identical to Henderson, and also Allison, Ter Stegen, Ederson and Lloris, 4 keepers known for making big reaction saves. The only area Henderson is objectively better is in the air, his reactions arent actually as good, and his abilty to cover space isn't currently as good. He gets a lot of leeway because he's one of ours (despite actually having a bit of a shocker in his last game)

The issue with DDG was punching rather than open palm, which suggests he didn't back himself or has an injury. Because his technique and stance is identical to Henderson, and also Allison, Ter Stegen, Ederson and Lloris, 4 keepers known for making big reaction saves. The only area Henderson is objectively better is in the air, his reactions arent actually as good, and his abilty to cover space isn't currently as good. He gets a lot of leeway because he's one of ours (despite actually having a bit of a shocker in his last game)

Interesting. If he didnt back himself to save a long range shot straight at him, why? Surely if you dont fancy it you make sure you get everything behind it, i.e two full hands and make 100% sure the ball hits them to save. If he was injured why is he playing? He played again tonight so I dont think that is the issue. I dont think any of the keepers you mentioned would have made a fist to save that shot from that distance. Keepers choosing to punch a cross rather than catch is one thing but I dont understand that decision at all.

Regarding Henderson I agree. Maybe it is a bit revisionist after the fact to see him as better. I dont think there are many better than De Gea for quick reaction saves. Especially with feet. And after my comment about Henderson saving Ritchie's shot, he let in a goal that im fairly sure De Gea would have saved with his feet. I didnt see the last 2 goals but from what ive read I dont think Henderson did too well.

Screenshot_20200625-083225__01.jpg

Laurie Whitwell

✔@lauriewhitwell

· 53m

#MUFC retained/released list out. No player younger than 19 let go. Academy head Nick ***: “We made the decision not to release any of the boys (U9s-U18s). No 1 priority was getting them back with smiles on their faces + we will deal with those decisions at another time.”

Laurie Whitwell

✔@lauriewhitwell

Those released are Aidan Barlow, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Alex Fojticek, Ethan Hamilton, Dion McGhee, Demetri Mitchell, Kieran O’Hara, Largie Ramazani, George Tanner. Support will be provided by the club #MUFC

That’s class about the u19 players. Also a huge clear out at u23 level ?

Interesting. If he didnt back himself to save a long range shot straight at him, why? Surely if you dont fancy it you make sure you get everything behind it, i.e two full hands and make 100% sure the ball hits them to save. If he was injured why is he playing? He played again tonight so I dont think that is the issue. I dont think any of the keepers you mentioned would have made a fist to save that shot from that distance. Keepers choosing to punch a cross rather than catch is one thing but I dont understand that decision at all.

Regarding Henderson I agree. Maybe it is a bit revisionist after the fact to see him as better. I dont think there are many better than De Gea for quick reaction saves. Especially with feet. And after my comment about Henderson saving Ritchie's shot, he let in a goal that im fairly sure De Gea would have saved with his feet. I didnt see the last 2 goals but from what ive read I dont think Henderson did too well.
Its a wrist power thing. Was lucky enough to chat to David James a few years back at work. And he says the strength and power in your wrists as a goalkeeper is massive and vital. Big open palm saves offer you the greatest control as you don't just stop the save but you have the power and flexibility to get it away. However it requires more power than a punch, but a punch gives you far less control, and if you get it wrong it goes badly wrong. The shot moves a fair bit but because he's made the wrong decision for whatever reason, he's got no margin for error and it ends up a goal

His decline is actually pretty synonymous with Iker Casillas', who also started to decline when he approached his 30s

Not sure if I can agree with that. In the case of Casillas the reasons were obvious - by the time he was 30, he played 14 top flight seasons, 50 games a year each, and well over a 100 NT games, including 3 full-length, physically taxing tournaments in 2008-20012. He had a mileage of a 40 year old goalkeeper basically.

But De Gea is nowhere near that and he's been **** for well over a year.

Not sure if I can agree with that. In the case of Casillas the reasons were obvious - by the time he was 30, he played 14 top flight seasons, 50 games a year each, and well over a 100 NT games, including 3 full-length, physically taxing tournaments in 2008-20012. He had a mileage of a 40 year old goalkeeper basically.

But De Gea is nowhere near that and he's been **** for well over a year.

Fair enough but it's fair to note that DDG began playing first team football at club level when he was only 19 years of age. I believe Casillas did begin at 17 and featured in Spain at just 19.

Both began top level footie at early ages so the early decline is "similar" I presume but like you said, Iker lasted longer.

Last edited:
Its a wrist power thing. Was lucky enough to chat to David James a few years back at work. And he says the strength and power in your wrists as a goalkeeper is massive and vital. Big open palm saves offer you the greatest control as you don't just stop the save but you have the power and flexibility to get it away. However it requires more power than a punch, but a punch gives you far less control, and if you get it wrong it goes badly wrong. The shot moves a fair bit but because he's made the wrong decision for whatever reason, he's got no margin for error and it ends up a goal

If only James had of had the dedication and mental fortitude to go with his complete, all-around skill-set.

Everything to be a top class goalie. Except between the ears.

No love for Neres?

I haven't watched Neres too often but when I do, he seems easy to knock off the ball and his pace is pretty average. Let's just say he doesn't convince me.

Leon Bailey, on the other hand, would be a fine addition. He's got electric pace, strong runner, dribbler and a sweet left foot. He can also whip in a good set piece as well.