The Manchester United Thread

Solskjaer was so tactically naive yesterday, I feel now since Southampton.. teams have found a blueprint on how to play us. Even against Palace, we struggled to beat the press and they had many chances, a team with better quality like Chelsea punishes us.

Solskjaer was so tactically naive yesterday, I feel now since Southampton.. teams have found a blueprint on how to play us. Even against Palace, we struggled to beat the press and they had many chances, a team with better quality like Chelsea punishes us.
Yesterday was naive beating a manager twice then expecting to beat him a 3rd time with exactly the same tactics. Just one of things Ole will learn from. He should of stuck with 4231.

Obviously teams will see ways to counter against how we play but that’s up to the players to deal with it. I wouldn’t want us to go away from how we play to much just need to perfect it better. Look at City and Pep lost the same amount of games as us but sticks to the plan. More coaching a couple more better players for squad depth and not being knackered physically and mentally will help.

Dont know if guys here subscribe to The Athletic but there are some very good pieces on the current GK situation and many analysis all the time during the season about almost all clubs. Really recommend that place. Dont know what our forum policy is about posting full text from there.

It is crazy that Dean is maybe getting golden clove two years straight.
Also should Romero play in Europa?

Dont know if guys here subscribe to The Athletic but there are some very good pieces on the current GK situation and many analysis all the time during the season about almost all clubs. Really recommend that place. Dont know what our forum policy is about posting full text from there.

It is crazy that Dean is maybe getting golden clove two years straight.
Also should Romero play in Europa?
Yeah the Athletic is good tbh with some very good journos writing for it. Romero should of played yesterday he’s played all the rest of the cup games. Would definitely look at giving him some games from now till the end of the season. Would still give Henderson another loan.

Sheffield United did press us as well but I think the difference can be a combination of fatigue and how they handle Bruno. I saw various plays yesterday where Chelsea sandwiched the middle, cutting off passing lanes to Bruno Fernandes. It didn't help that Rashford and Greenwood were positioned in the half spaces with cut off options to them as well. Now, AWB and Williams had a lot of space down the flanks but they couldn't exploit it. AWB may have improved on this area but he still doesn't deliver quality crosses consistently. Williams was even worse as he'd practically just pass the ball back into the already packed middle of the pitch.

This game, along with the Southampton game, highlights the importance of having a good attacking fullback. I wish we still had a Rafeal so it speak.

Mental that we still need 4-5 players (Fullback, CB, DM, RW, ST) seems like it's been the case for about 8 years now.

Mental that we still need 4-5 players (Fullback, CB, DM, RW, ST) seems like it's been the case for about 8 years now.
No we don’t. Martial has been fantastic and Greenwood will be pushing him in the next few years for his starting spot. Maybe argue we could do with a more experienced squad player once Ighalo leaves.

FBs are good Shaw has been fantastic since the new year getting back to his old self. AWB just needs to sort his crossing out.

Definately need a back up/ replacement for Matic. Garner will get there but he’s at least 2/3 years away and needs a loan.

RW has been ****** annoying for so long! Hopefully that will be sorted this summer.

we are maybe 2 starters away. And maybe the same for quality depth.

No we don’t. Martial has been fantastic and Greenwood will be pushing him in the next few years for his starting spot. Maybe argue we could do with a more experienced squad player once Ighalo leaves.

FBs are good Shaw has been fantastic since the new year getting back to his old self. AWB just needs to sort his crossing out.

Definately need a back up/ replacement for Matic. Garner will get there but he’s at least 2/3 years away and needs a loan.

RW has been ****** annoying for so long! Hopefully that will be sorted this summer.

we are maybe 2 starters away. And maybe the same for quality depth.

What is it with modern day fans and not understanding needing a squad, we need another striking option. What happens when Martial and Rashford get injured? or Mason goes off the boil because he will, he's still a kid.

Our fullbacks aren't all that, especially going forward. Need an upgrade, and 100% need a quality CB.

Need 3 starters and another 2-3 as squad players who are better than Fred, James, Lingard etc

Idk about ST as I'm fine with Martial. Perhaps we could get a more solid backup? As for full back, I feel we may need to have a good attacking LB in the mold of Theo Hernandez from AC Milan to give the attack that extra dimension. That way, AWB can tuck in and make it a back 3 when we do have possession. It isn't a high priority but it'll be a good pickup.

Ultimately, while I'd say we're 3 quality players away from a quality XI, we need to improve on the depth as well, especially in the attacking areas. Am I the only one who thinks we should go after Buendia and the Allan Maxim kid from Newcastle? They'd be terrific rotation options

Last edited:
What is it with modern day fans and not understanding needing a squad, we need another striking option. What happens when Martial and Rashford get injured? or Mason goes off the boil because he will, he's still a kid.

Our fullbacks aren't all that, especially going forward. Need an upgrade, and 100% need a quality CB.

Need 3 starters and another 2-3 as squad players who are better than Fred, James, Lingard etc
Modern day fans Lol I wish I was. Did you not read I said we would likely need a STR option to replace Ighalo.

Shaw has been very good getting forward and AWB has improved a lot and will continue to do so. You can ask Scouse the amount of arguments we had on AWB attacking ability as a FB. I said he was pants and looked like I was right. But he’s steadily improved and as Scouse pointed out it’s a new position for him so was gonna take time.

Freds a good squad player and still doesn’t get credit for his performances. Especially in this long run we have been on mostly before lockdown. James is only good against certain teams and for the price and all things considered he’s been decent. Lingard will be gone hopefully!!??

Throughout the years we had Cole/Yorke/Ole/Teddy. Ruud/Rooney/Saha/Forlan. Rooney/Tevez/Berba. Rooney/Berba/Welbeck/Hernandez. Rooney/RVP/Welbeck/Hernandez. I can't understand what people aren't grasping about needing a full squad of proper options.

I understand people putting faith in Martial, but remember Ole wanted Haaland. Even someone like Jimenez would be a very good signing in my opinion.

Throughout the years we had Cole/Yorke/Ole/Teddy. Ruud/Rooney/Saha/Forlan. Rooney/Tevez/Berba. Rooney/Berba/Welbeck/Hernandez. Rooney/RVP/Welbeck/Hernandez. I can't understand what people aren't grasping about needing a full squad of proper options.

I understand people putting faith in Martial, but remember Ole wanted Haaland. Even someone like Jimenez would be a very good signing in my opinion.
Worth noting Fergie played with a 4-4-2 as well

..... and AWB has improved a lot and will continue to do so. You can ask Scouse the amount of arguments we had on AWB attacking ability as a FB. I said he was pants and looked like I was right. But he’s steadily improved and as Scouse pointed out it’s a new position for him so was gonna take time. .....

He's a very expensive version of Nathaniel Clyne. Sound if that's the type of solid FB you want.

But a very strange purchase given the only way Solksjaer appears to know how to play.

I would take Jimenez if he was at a good price and happy to be a squad player once Ighalo left.

He's a very expensive version of Nathaniel Clyne. Sound if that's the type of solid FB you want.

But a very strange purchase given the only way Solksjaer appears to know how to play.
I think OGS just saw potential to improve on that area of his game. He's good with progressing the ball forward but it's his end product that lets him down. He just took it into consideration that with his young age, he can be coached properly on that area.