***The Official Celtic FC v Rangers FC Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
3-1 to celtic Hopper x2 and Stokes with Davis scoring for Rangers

+ Big Dan to have Miller in his pocket (H)

Rangers have been boosted by the return of Kirk Broadfoot and Lee McCulloch after missing the midweek Champions league match against Valencia.
Broadfoot has been out with a bruised foot, while McCulloch has been carrying a groin injury.
Celtic's Daryl Murphy and James Forrest both miss out with ankle injuries but Charlie Mulgrew and Thomas Rogne have resumed training and are in contention.
Midfielders captain Scott Brown and Beram Kayal remain out long term.
Celtic manager Neil Lennon: "Nothing prepares you for an Old Firm game, they definitely are a special game in the calendar and there is just a wee bit more riding on this one because of the start both teams have made.
"I enjoyed them as a player, you enjoy them when you win obviously, the flip side of that is if you lose it's not nice.
"Outsiders will probably make Rangers the favourites with the way they have played in Europe as well as the SPL," the former Leicester midfielder said.
"But I don't think there is much between the teams.
"The onus is on us because we are the home team. We have to try and take the game to Rangers at every opportunity we can."
"At the end of the day it's a league game and three points at stake.
"Obviously there is a little more on it with who is going to be at the top of the table at the end of the game but you don't want to fill their heads too much."
Rangers manager Walter Smith: "I don't remember being eight games into the season before and going into an Old Firm match and neither team having dropped points.
"Unless someone can tell me differently, it's the first time that has happened.
"It will be a very interesting first Old Firm game of the season. Maybe this season's four Old Firm matches will take on an added importance.
"We feel we have started the season very well and, if you look at how well Celtic have started, you realise it is going to be a big game."
Celtic (from): Forster, Loovens, Wilson, Majstorovic, Izaguirre, Ledley, Rogne, Mulgrew, Ki, Samaras, Stokes, Hooper, Maloney, McCourt, Cha Du-Ri, Zaluska, Juarez, McGinn, Towell, Twardzik.
Rangers (from): McGregor, Whittaker, Papac, Weir, Bougherra, Davis, Edu, Hutton, Weiss, Wylde, Naismith, Lafferty, Miller, Loy, Alexander, Foster, Little, Webster, Broadfoot, McCulloch.

Rangers have been boosted by the return of Kirk Broadfoot and Lee McCulloch after missing the midweek Champions league match against Valencia.
Broadfoot has been out with a bruised foot, while McCulloch has been carrying a groin injury.
Celtic's Daryl Murphy and James Forrest both miss out with ankle injuries but Charlie Mulgrew and Thomas Rogne have resumed training and are in contention.
Midfielders captain Scott Brown and Beram Kayal remain out long term.
Celtic manager Neil Lennon: "Nothing prepares you for an Old Firm game, they definitely are a special game in the calendar and there is just a wee bit more riding on this one because of the start both teams have made.
"I enjoyed them as a player, you enjoy them when you win obviously, the flip side of that is if you lose it's not nice.
"Outsiders will probably make Rangers the favourites with the way they have played in Europe as well as the SPL," the former Leicester midfielder said.
"The onus is on us because we are the home team. We have to try and take the game to Rangers at every opportunity we can."
"Obviously there is a little more on it with who is going to be at the top of the table at the end of the game but you don't want to fill their heads too much."
Rangers manager Walter Smith: "I don't remember being eight games into the season before and going into an Old Firm match and neither team having dropped points.
"Unless someone can tell me differently, it's the first time that has happened.
"It will be a very interesting first Old Firm game of the season. Maybe this season's four Old Firm matches will take on an added importance.
"We feel we have started the season very well and, if you look at how well Celtic have started, you realise it is going to be a big game."
Celtic (from): Forster, Loovens, Wilson, Majstorovic, Izaguirre, Ledley, Rogne, Mulgrew, Ki, Samaras, Stokes, Hooper, Maloney, McCourt, Cha Du-Ri, Zaluska, Juarez, McGinn, Towell, Twardzik.
Rangers (from): McGregor, Whittaker, Papac, Weir, Bougherra, Davis, Edu, Hutton, Weiss, Wylde, Naismith, Lafferty, Miller, Loy, Alexander, Foster, Little, Webster, Broadfoot, McCulloch.

Would say broadfoot returning would be more of a boost for celtic. XD

Would say broadfoot returning would be more of a boost for celtic. XD
sily kirk ^^) yeah i konw bomb scare at tims

WALTER SMITH has admitted that he will not use his 5-4-1 European formation in Sunday's massive Old Firm clash at Celtic Park.

On Wednesday night the manager's tactics again worked a treat against Valencia at Ibrox with his side defending admirably while also attacking with confidence.

Walter Smith and Ally McCoistThe 1-1 draw against the Spanish giants, and Rangers' superb display, has led many fans to believe that Smith will stick with the same strategy against Celtic but he has ruled this out.

He said: "It's not a system we have used in the domestic sense before so I don't think we will set up in that fashion on Sunday.

"In our domestic games we don't play in the same manner as we do in our Champions League games.

"At times we have gone to Celtic Park and we have set up in a more defensive fashion but nothing like we do in the Champions League."

Both Rangers and Celtic go in to the first Old Firm game of the season with a 100 per cent record after eight SPL games and Smith has been impressed with the impact Neil Lennon has had across the city.

He said: "I think we at Rangers feel that we have started the season very well and it's only when you turn around and look at how well Celtic have started that you realise that this is going to be a very big game on Sunday.

"Since Neil has come in you have to give him credit as he made a very brave decision to turn around a whole bunch of players.

| 1 | 2 |

WALTER SMITH has admitted that he will not use his 5-4-1 European formation in Sunday's massive Old Firm clash at Celtic Park.

On Wednesday night the manager's tactics again worked a treat against Valencia at Ibrox with his side defending admirably while also attacking with confidence.

Walter Smith and Ally McCoistThe 1-1 draw against the Spanish giants, and Rangers' superb display, has led many fans to believe that Smith will stick with the same strategy against Celtic but he has ruled this out.

He said: "It's not a system we have used in the domestic sense before so I don't think we will set up in that fashion on Sunday.

"In our domestic games we don't play in the same manner as we do in our Champions League games.

"At times we have gone to Celtic Park and we have set up in a more defensive fashion but nothing like we do in the Champions League."

Both Rangers and Celtic go in to the first Old Firm game of the season with a 100 per cent record after eight SPL games and Smith has been impressed with the impact Neil Lennon has had across the city.

He said: "I think we at Rangers feel that we have started the season very well and it's only when you turn around and look at how well Celtic have started that you realise that this is going to be a very big game on Sunday.

"Since Neil has come in you have to give him credit as he made a very brave decision to turn around a whole bunch of players.

"He's done that and normally, in the first part of the season, you expect there to be a bit of inconsistency.

"But they are currently on the same number of points as ourselves and, as I have said, we feel we have started the season very well.

Maurice Edu scores against Valencia"So it's great credit to him that he has managed to settle his squad down but we will looking to go there and win the match.

"Our boys are playing with a lot of confidence right now and we are looking forward to this weekend's game."

With European football not on the agenda for Celtic Lennon's men should be fresher going in to Sunday's fixture with Rangers having faced a tough 90 minutes against Valencia on Wednesday night.

Smith, however, does not feel that this will be an issue going in to the biggest game of the season so far.

He added: "I'd worry more about other matches than going to Celtic Park.

"I don't think we will have any problems in terms of motivation and I always say to people it's more mental than physical the tiredness aspect of it.

"So that will not be a factor on Sunday."

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Celtic striker Daryl Murphy will be out for at least a fortnight with an ankle sprain with James Forrest also missing from the derby match.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

heres a good game to watch before old firm day Celtic 3 Rangers 3 from 2003

I can't wait. I reckon it'll be a draw though, I hope not, like.

Hooper hasn't even scored a goal every 2 games, and everyone thinks he's going to net 2 goals or a hat-trick? Oh please. Maloney has been by far your best striker.

Anyhow, judging by our performance against Valencia, (can't compare Celtic to anyone outside of the SPL because, oh wait, Celtic are out of Europe, anyhow) Rangers will win.

Celtic 1 - 3 Rangers

Miller x2, Naismith
Maloney

It may not be intentional, but I like how the Celtic badge is much larger than the Rangers badge.

Lol.

Been offered a ticket for the Celtic end by my mate. Told him to get to **** and not call again til Monday (A)

im ar rangers fan i dont know how to do size :'(

200px-Celtic_FC.svg.png
200px-Rangers_FC.svg.png

no worries next time you do a match thread get your badges of wikipedia :)
ok ive fixed it :)

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

i think steven naismith will score

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 04:54 PM ----------

Neil Lennon calls for 'strong' Old Firm referee

_49621923_lennon_web101022.jpg
Please turn on JavaScript. Media requires JavaScript to play.
</p>

Click to play

Not much between Old Firm - Lennon

Neil Lennon insists Celtic are not putting any extra pressure on Old Firm debut referee Willie Collum ahead of Sunday's much-anticipated derby.
"I would say that refereeing an Old Firm game at any time is difficult but when it is your first one, he might be a wee bit extra nervous," Lennon said.
"I just hope he has a strong game.
"We felt aggrieved at some of the decisions that went against us last year so we hope that he has a good game and makes the right decisions."
Lennon is still disgruntled about referee Dougie McDonald's decision to award Celtic a penalty in last weekend's win over Dundee United at Tannadice, then change his mind after consulting with his assistant.
The Irishman also pointed back to last October when Celtic, under Tony Mowbray, were denied a penalty at Ibrox by Craig Thomson, who later admitted his mistake, and to the effort Marc-Antoine Fortune had controversially ruled out against Rangers in January by Steve Conroy.
Collum will be taking charge of the famous Glasgow derby for the first time.

And the stakes are as a high as ever, with both sides protecting a run of eight wins from eight matches in the Scottish Premier League.
"We are not putting any extra pressure on him, from our point of view," explained Lennon. "We don't want to do that.
"We just hopes that he starts from scratch and sees the game as it is."
After a busy summer of squad rebuilding, Lennon will have several players making their Old Firm debuts.
However, he admits there is little he can say which will prepare them for Sunday lunchtime.
"No matter what words of advice you give them, it can't replicate playing the game and being in that atmosphere and the intensity of that whole arena," he said.
"When I made my debut Martin O'Neill said to me it would be a blur and he was right.
"Nothing prepares you for an Old Firm game, they definitely are a special game in the calendar and there is just a wee bit more riding on this one because of the start both teams have made.
o.gif
Outsiders will probably make Rangers the favourites

Neil Lennon

"As a manager I don't think you can enjoy it, I think you feel that sense of relief when it's over.
Despite his side's excellent domestic record and home advantage at the weekend, Lennon claims Rangers, who lead the table on goal difference, will be viewed as favourites.
"Outsiders will probably make Rangers the favourites with the way they have played in Europe as well as the SPL," added Lennon.
"I think they have been very impressive. I think they play more football at times than people give them credit for, they have good individual players and they work hard for each other.
"They have a good mentality which they have developed over last two or three years.
"But we have to concentrate on what we have to do. The onus is on us because we are the home team.
"We have to try and take the game to Rangers at every opportunity we can.
"I don't want to hype the game up too much because other people will do that anyway.

2-0 Celtic
Hooper & Maloney.

Think we'll be too strong for Rangers, however if they defend like they did at OT i'd say 0-0.

sick of english people (not all i admit but most iv meet or talked to) thinking the epl is this amazing league with loads of winners
only 4 teams have won the epl Premier League champions won by man u & 3 other teams talk about 2 sided how about 1 sided & only won by 2 more teams than the spl & considering the money the teams get in england doesnt say much for how good they actualy are
Season Winner
1992–93 Manchester United
1993–94 Manchester United
1994–95 Blackburn Rovers
1995–96 Manchester United
1996–97 Manchester United
1997–98 Arsenal
1998–99 Manchester United
1999–2000 Manchester United
2000–01 Manchester United
2001–02 Arsenal
2002–03 Manchester United
2003–04 Arsenal
2004–05 Chelsea
2005–06 Chelsea
2006–07 Manchester United
2007–08 Manchester United
2008–09 Manchester United
2009–10 Chelsea
and the epl is only better than the spl cause when sky bought the rights to british football scotland was given less cash than england heres another thing all the major players dont play in england or want to go there they play in italy or spain ronaldinho kaka etc the list goes on
so get of your high horse's

Well, hopefully both teams score anyway, got a goal rush including them.

Hopeing for a Celtic win though.

Status
Not open for further replies.