Votes: 76 32.1%
  • No...It's The English Premiership for a reason

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Maybe if they start from the bottom up

Votes: 45 19.0%
  • We should just have a UK league.

Votes: 45 19.0%

• Total voters
i think it a great idea but if it did happen they would have to start of in the conference and work there way up as that would be the only fair way to do it

People Saying The SPL is a mickey mouse league need to wait a while becuase i feel there are teams like dundee united and hearts who could start competing for top two places

People Saying The SPL is a mickey mouse league need to wait a while becuase i feel there are teams like dundee united and hearts who could start competing for top two places
Actually all the teams are showing potential. St. Mirren, for example, hammered Celtic 4-0 with some of Celtic's best players were on. St. Johnstone, a team just promoted last season, demolished leaders Rangers 4-1. Yeah, the SPL isn't the most classy league ever, it's not gonna attract amazing players and, to an extent, it is pretty bad, but if anything, it can only get better.

Some people need to grow up tho and stop acting like scotland and england are enemys we are Britain my dad along with lots of my family is english yet lots of family is scottish i dont like to see people slating each others countrys when we live so close why cant we just get along im sure the topic was spl giants in england which will never happen why does it have to be my countrys better than yours bs grow up people and start acting like human beings instead of animals "those days are past now and in the past they must remain" which is where i keep them the william wallace bs finished years ago so lets drop it

i actually wrote a thesis that i posted to uefa and all the british FA's promoting an entirely new league system... if anyone's interested i will upload it but the basic details are... start with either 100 or 120 pro clubs in england 60 in scotland 20 in ireland wales and northern ireland... below the levels im gonna highlight, things go on as normal btw with a usual local league pyramid...
so to start with, every nominated club goes into a group of 5 teams playing at the most local level possible depending on the location of that seasons clubs no seeding just pure geography. means warm up time for big clubs no need for too many pre season games so fresher players come may, big crowds against local rivals for smaller clubs means more revenue.
once that group has finished, played on the same basis as the europa league for the past 3 or 4 seasons ie 1 game against each club home then away then home etc... the final tables of 4 games are aggregated into a regional fa level so for the midlands as an example you might find villa blues cov baggies and wolves top five, they would then play the next round in that group of five, the lower teams playing in another lower group of five, walsall kidde shrewsbury telford and tamworth for example. after another 4 games the leagues are aggregated again at that regional level and the top 5 go into the normal regions ie isthmian southern and northern. the rest continue to play according to their standing at the former level. say stoke manure man city burnley and stockport go through at theire level and the aggregate standing draws manure leeds liverpool everton and sheffield (dont care which :p) into the top northern group. next 4 games 12 so far if your following, and they go to national level note that if a team falls down their local aggregate table they will be replaced at the higher level by the teams above them. (ie stockport fair dreadfully against the likes of sheffield (the other one) and fall back down to playing macclesfield and bury, replaced by blackburn lets say) so the northern aggregate standing show manure top followed by everton, liverpool leeds newcastle and a host of others, those 5 go through to the national aggregate table. everton and manure have done well enough to be placed into the top group alongside chelsea arsenal and southampton (who have no competitors on the south coast following the demise of pompey) so this round of games takes us to 16 matches, the top 5 again qualifying for the next level (the league of UK and Ireland(or home nations for short)) the top english teams are as follows Manure (again(just trying my hardest to be realistic)) chelsea arsenal Liverpool (following a resugence) and Villa (dark horse outdsiders)
they compete against the likes of linfield drogheda tns and of course the old firm (hence the relevance to the thread) anyways suffice to say it would take time for the other teams to adjust to the higher level but with the right sponsorship and appropriate rules on bringing through youth as opposed to spending massive amounts on transfers i think we could have a really competitive UK and Ireland tournament to replace any current league setups. it could be limited to 20 games or drawn out to as many as 50 (dont tell arsene i said that) just need to change the format slightly, ie play return games in the groups or play two rounds at each level.
I know I know im a day trader with too much spare time and my only hobby is teaching martial arts :p but i think its a ****** good idea anyway, it could even be extended into further level, (western europe, whole europe, world etc) culminating in an anual world club cup tournament held in a specific country, it could do away with the europa league and dramatically cut down games per season because european games count towards league standings and vice versa. **** we could evenhave the european cup back in its two legged knockout format co s the big clubs would be playing each other every week anyway.
i think the most positive thing to come out of a system like this is that if your doing well youll be at the top, not just of your division but the whole league, if your not youll be playing semi pro football next season, thus ending any pantomine that pompey are gonna go through for the next few years as they slowly limp towards obscurity also letting rochdale who have been in awesome form all season find their true place in the football league, as it satnds theyll go up this year and back down next, and who knows what couldve been in the best season the club has ever had, they might finish amongst the top 30 in the country!!! :p

im gonna open my own thread now that i think about it so you can leave me comment as to whether you think im deluded or genius, either way i think i am capable of getting the right sponsors on board to attempt to push this into being a voting issue in UK football if i have supporters behind me, all the better... :p

If Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham are aloud, The Old Firm should.

rangers are good enough.recently rangers have beat chelsea and man city and got to the uefa cup final, but it would kill the other spl teams as most of them relay on ranger and celtic fans bringing a bigger crowd

I think it would be a good idea.
The arguments against it are weak.
Obviously the SPL would suffer which I don't think OF fans + EPL fans care about.
As a Gers fan I wouldn't mind not going straight into the Prem, although if we did we would stay up.
The money would bring the OF into a position to challenge for Europe after a few years. I'm not gonna say "we'll win the EPL within 3 years" like others have said XD.
The OF have a bigger fanbase + larger stadiums than most EPL clubs.

The only reason this won't/isn't happening is England's reluctancy to allow 2 powerweights (not in terms of quality just now) into their leagues and the possibility of secterianism and that.

I have no objections to them joining the English Leagu, but they cant be put straight into the Premier League. Maybe put them in the Championship, and let them earn their spot.

I agree.. any lower and it would be stupid. A League 2 match with an attendance of 60,000? haha

First of all while Rangers and Celtic may have larger stadiums than most EPL teams and manage to fill them up, the ticket price for a game of most EPL clubs is around about the same as a season ticket for a Rangers/Celtic game. If these prices were the same Rangers/Celtic would not attract anywhere near the same crowds they do as of now. I realise that because the population of Scotland is far smaller than England this may increase slightly if our teams were to join, but surely not by that much.

Secondly for Scottish football to move into the english leagues, the teams would have to start from the bottom. There would be no other fair way of doing it as loads of smaller english teams would otherwise get ******* on and moved down leagues. So unless a UK league is created, which is unlikely as the majority of UK teams would not be able to compete in the english leagues, it would be a huge inconvenience to english football.

Thirdly, as to Scottish teams being able to win the premiership in 3 - 5 years time XD. For a football team to become a major competitor in leagues that large it takes a long, long time without ridiculous amounts of money (eg, Chelsea, Man City). It also requires players actually wanting to move to a certain location. I just can't see many big names wanting to move to Scotland, there is far more to attract people to move to London or Manchester or Liverpool.

In my opinion while I certianly believe the SPL needs a serious re-shuffle and some work, I think that it should stay in Scotland. I cant see our teams competing with a lot of EPL teams or in fact some Championship teams. I personally dont care too much. Scottish football is still a great standard of football even though a lot of people will have you believe otherwise. So what if we cant compete with ridiculously wealthy, talented teams, its football I love watching and am sure many others do. As to all the people saying Scottish football sucks, well to be perfectly honest, you can go **** yourselves. I enjoy it so stop trying to put it down.

Finally as to the Scottish hating the English. I am Scottish as you might have guessed, I certianly dont hate the English, and on my many trips to England over the years have met very few English that hate the Scottish. There are dickheads in every culture but I take heart in the fact that the majority of people are actually kind and couldn't care less about where people are from or what they look like. No matter where I have been in the world, I have found this to be almost universally true.