'The Partnerships Guide - Articles by tacticalterrier‎

Hey, the PIs for RVP are pretty much the same for the one I gave Rooney in my recent post, they'll work the same anyway. Um they'd both play well as target men but I'd suggest having Damiao in a similar role to RVP, but try and concentrate him on holding the ball more and bring others into play, so tick 'Hold Up Ball' for a start, I'll let you figure the rest... As for Giroud, he's figured more to a Target Man, but I doubt that would suit your style of play, assuming you like to control the game but if you play counter attacking he's more suited than RVP, though you could concentrate attacks down the right and get Walcott putting crosses in for him.

Anyway, from what I've just told you I think you can make the decision yourself, as I know too little about the rest of your team to make a strong decision.

Thanks for that mate. My style of play is more to control possession. I have my team playing balance and fluid. Short passing and with expressive creative freedom. I also wanted to ask you about your settings for Gervinho and Walcott. I have not touch their individual instructions because I was not sure how to set them up so that they can become effective in the game ( basically I have left everything on default except long shots which is set to rarely) Could you give me any advice on what individual instructions to tweak so that they become more effective in the game. With my strikers dropping deep and inside forward cutting and
my advance playmaker running from midfield do you think it would be better to play through the middle and set my width to narrow

Would you recommend using a poacher as a lone forward or his this role better suited to a target man. I will be playing a 433/451 formation with inside forward and winger. My central midfield will consist of a DLP and advance playmaker support duty. I am bit worried that the poacher or target man might become isolated. What would you suggest.

Would you recommend using a poacher as a lone forward or his this role better suited to a target man. I will be playing a 433/451 formation with inside forward and winger. My central midfield will consist of a DLP and advance playmaker support duty. I am bit worried that the poacher or target man might become isolated. What would you suggest.

I didn't edit them much, just stopped them taking long shots really... But, if you want Gervinho to cut into the space that RVP leaves behind, then put him on a very high mentality with runs from deep set to often he's also got a good creativity so you can give him a high creative freedom. As for Walcott, give him a low creative freedom and basically just make him run down the wing and put crosses in because he's pretty bad at everything else, make sure he doesn't roam from position and make him close down a lot because of his great pace. Also keep his passing very short and his through balls on rarely. As for the width question, yes keep it narrow but make sure Walcott gives you width by having his wide play as hug the touchline. And make sure that if Gervinho is on the left wing, that your advance playmaker is in the RCM slot because if he plays in the LCM slot, then he and Gervinho will run into the same space. An advanced forward would be better than poacher because he leads the attack more, a target man isn't suited to possession football so I wouldn't choose him... If you put the striker on advanced forward however set him as target man in the team instructions with the supply on run onto ball. As long as your advanced playmaker is aggressive (change him from 'support' to attack) and so is your inside forward, I'm sure he won't get isolated.

Last edited:
Great work on the guides!
Regarding the dlf/poacher pair, shouldn't both do zonal marking? do you recommend a particular wideness for this? And I also sugguest you put the guides in the main post ( try spoiler tags if they won't fit).
Isn't it counter productive to have the BPDC so defensive if you want him to start a counter? That mentality won't make him pass ahead.
What do you know about wingers and target man? It rarely works well for me and I love headed goals. Maybe you could make a small guide for that or for midfield trios ( like dm/b2b/dlp or w/e you want). Or for the Libero.

Last edited:
Amazing work, mate, this thread is a gem, thanks for sharing.