Haha cheers, played a bit further and things started to work out a bit better :)

Ahh man, that is annoying. Our stadium has around 8000 seats so we need a new one. I was hoping the board would wait a few more seasons to be honest so it would be named after me! xD

Haha, I love that because that's usually my exact way of thinking as well! If ADO don't name the new stadium after me (If I go that far) I will resign on the spot and take over another Dutch team to take them down! XD

Haha, I love that because that's usually my exact way of thinking as well! If ADO don't name the new stadium after me (If I go that far) I will resign on the spot and take over another Dutch team to take them down! XD

Yeah, I dont think I have ever had a stadium named after me :( Yeah thats the right way of thinking ;)

View attachment 278136

Summer Transfer Window 2016 Update

With huge interest in almost all of our top players after an amazing season last year, it was clear that it was going to be a busy summer for us.

Players OUT

The first move of the window was Saleh Gomma moving to rivals Ajax. He made it clear he wanted to leave which was a shame, and they met his release clause of 4.9 million. Sassulo were promoted to Serie A, and after our players. Asdrubal, Robin Propper and our main goal scorer Vincent Vermeij moved there for a combined fee of 17.8 million euros. Vincent Vermeij cost the bulk of it. Some big losses, but I thought we could replace them. Keeper Darren Keet's release clause was also met by FC Zurich, as well as a few other small sales.

View attachment 278133 View attachment 278132 View attachment 278131 View attachment 278132 View attachment 278130 View attachment 278129 View attachment 278128

Players IN

I knew it would be tough to replace players such as Saleh Gomma and Vincent Vermeij, who were crucial in winning the league last year, but I thought it could be done!

Firstly, I needed to replace Vermeij. I loaned Lucas Boye for another season, with an Option to buy of only 6 million which i think could be a steal. I also loaned Federico Bonazzoli from Sampdoria, I wanted him permanently but they were having none of it. I also signed Erick Torres for 6 million, who I think could be a top player for us. Zakaria Bakkali also joins us on loan from Chelsea for the season, providing us with quality depth.

View attachment 278126 View attachment 278125 View attachment 278124 View attachment 278092

I then looked for midfielder to replace Saleh Gomma. I snapped up Marco Ansensio from Real Madrid on loan, with an option to buy of 7.5 million. He is a top quality player with bags of potential. I also bought Alvaro Medran from Real on a cheap deal, who is also a good player, he had a brilliant year at Almeria last season. I also bought Chuks Aneke from Zulte Wargrem, who is a unique and versatile player.

View attachment 278114 View attachment 278113 View attachment 278112

I needed to sign someone to fill the gap in defence. Marco Capuano came from Cagliari, he is a really good defender for cheap money. Kenneth Omeruo came from Chelsea for only a few million euros, and can play Centre Back and Right Back. I think he can develop into a nice player. We did miss out on Emmanuel Mammana, who would've been a quality signing, he accepted River's contract rather than ours. I took a gamble on Bertrand Moussa, who my assistant doesn't like, but I think he looks really good defensively.

View attachment 278110 View attachment 278107 View attachment 278099

With Darren Keet going out, me looked to bring in a keeper. Mathew Ryan was my original target, despite us having a bid accepted he chose to stay at Brugge. I signed Mexican youngster Raul Gudino from Chivas. A bit of a risk but my assistant thinks he can develop into a top quality keeper, and he is very tall and good in the air.

View attachment 278101

Youngsters

I brought in a variety of youngster from all over the world. Hopefully we have found some world-class talent. I really like the look of Jose Augusto Mesa and Giancarlo Perez, who will join us for 325k each and will join in the coming months. Joakim Holmberg also looks really good.

View attachment 278098 View attachment 278097 View attachment 278096 View attachment 278095
View attachment 278093

I am really happy with our dealings overall. I think we have definitely strengthened the squad, whilst vastly improving the potential and ability of our youth squad.

View attachment 278088

Other teams have strengthened their squads reasonably, especially Ajax. Ajax signed Andre Ayew, Elkeson as well as our own Saleh Gomma, they also have Ronald Koeman as manager. PSV sold Memphis Depay to Arsenal, and it looks like they could be going downhill. I expect it to be a two-horse race for the title, with us challenging Ajax as favourites.

View attachment 278084

Fixtures

View attachment 278082

We will play Ajax in the Super Cup in July, before we kick-off our league campaign. We will play Ajax again in the league which is our toughest challenge in the first month. A huge season coming up, we need to prove we weren't lucky last year! We also get to go up against the best teams in European football in the Champions League.

Last edited:
Great update mate! Shame about Gomaa and Vermeij but you seem to have made some very good signings and looks like being another good season for De Graafschap. Like the look of the young regens you've brought in as well, looks like the Pozzo machine is fully functioning and in full flow.

Great update mate! Shame about Gomaa and Vermeij but you seem to have made some very good signings and looks like being another good season for De Graafschap. Like the look of the young regens you've brought in as well, looks like the Pozzo machine is fully functioning and in full flow.

Cheers mate, yeah I would like to have kept them, but Vermeij is no way worth all that money. Hopefully in 1-2 years, we will have a really nice flow of youngsters!

View attachment 278002

July/August Update

Results

23/7/16 / De Graafschap v Ajax (Dutch Super Cup)

View attachment 277996

We start off with a Super Cup lost to Ajax, we played OK, but they were better and deserved to win. It was a shame to loose it so late on to a Lucas Anderson rebound.

30/7/16 / MVV v De Graafschap

View attachment 277994

We start our Eredivisie campaign away at newly-promoted MVV. We walked the game 3-0, a solid performance.

7/8/16 / FC Twente v De Graafschap

View attachment 277993

Our next game was at home to FC Twente. This was a tough game for us. We were 2-1 down with not long left, I pushed everyone forward and we scored 2 quick goals and hung on to win 3-2, a great result!

10/8/16 / Roda JC v De Graafschap

View attachment 277992

Absolutely nothing happened in this game until the 84th minute, when their keeper gave the ball straight to Bonazzoli, who scored from inside his own half! Another win.

14/8/16 / Excelsior v De Graafschap

View attachment 277991

We win 3-1 away from home, at the ground we almost threw away the league at last year. Omeruo made his debut and was MOTM with 2 assists, Bonazzoli with another 2 goals. Raul Gudino started and Erick Torres came on to make his debut after playing at the Olympics.

20/8/16 / De Graafschap v Ajax

View attachment 277990

A brilliant win, we beat Ajax fairly comfortably 2-0 at home. Boye with a goal, and Erick Torres scored his 1st goal for the club.

28/8/16 / De Graafschap v Fortuna Sittard

View attachment 277989

A solid win, we destroy Fortuna Sittard. Medran scored a brilliant hat-trick, and Bonazzoli cant stop scoring.

POTM

View attachment 277995

Without doubt Bonazzoli is the POTM. He has been brilliant, originally coming off the bench and then starting a few games, scoring 6 goals.

Champions League Draw

View attachment 277986

This is what we have been waiting for. We will play UCL holders Barcelona, Premier League Champions Liverpool, as well as OM. I think that we will struggle to pick up points anywhere, and I am just hoping we can compete. It will be a great experience for the boys going to the Nou Camp, Anfield and Stade Velodrome.

Eredivisie

View attachment 278001

So after 6 games we sit nicely in 1st place at the top of the table with a 100% record. Ajax and Vitesse were both on 100% records after 4 games, but we beat Ajax and Ajax beat Vitesse. I think Ajax will be our biggest challenge this year. PSV slow start as I predicted.

Fixtures

View attachment 278000

Despite loosing the Super Cup I am really happy with the first months of the season. We have played really well, our new signings have already settled and are playing brilliant football. Some tough games in September. We will play Barca and OM in the UCL, as well as a tough away game at AZ.​

Whoa, I thought Vermeij looks better. I'm glad you continue this story, the squad now seems to be much stronger.

Whoa, I thought Vermeij looks better. I'm glad you continue this story, the squad now seems to be much stronger.

Yeah I know, most of his goals where down to the great players around him I think. Thanks man, I am too!

I like the way it's now, but choose what is the most convenient for you :)

edit: If bi-monthly updates would be as frequent as these ones then I don't mind haha

Last edited:
The Pozzo Machine

In July 1986, Giampaulo Pozzo bought his local side Udinese. His reign didn't get off to a good start after a betting scandal and match fixing allegations saw Udinese relegated to Serie B. However Pozzo had a plan that would help take Udinese to the top of Italian football. Pozzo invested heavily in his Scouting Network, picking out the best youth and under the radar players from around the world. Udinese are then able to sign these players for relatively cheap, expose their talent to the best European teams, and sell them on for a huge profit. In The most recent success of his plan was Chilean star Alexis Sanchez, who was signed for 2.5 million, but sold to Barca for almost 30 million euros.

View attachment 810013

'Gimme the money'

Overview

I am aiming to re-create Pozzo's success on an ever larger scale. I aim to have a huge influx of youth talent coming into my team year, who can then be loaned out or even play for my first team. They will then be sold on after they are unveiled to European football's elite. I want to win everything in Europe, but I also want to create a money-making machine. I want to create The Pozzo Machine.

I will of course follow.
o.png

Just read the whole story and your doing amazing, i think that selling on a lot of your better players will keep the save fresh for you as you have to constantly keep up with scouting and so forth rather than once you have the perfect team a few seasons in you cant bring anyone better in. KIU

Just read the whole story and your doing amazing, i think that selling on a lot of your better players will keep the save fresh for you as you have to constantly keep up with scouting and so forth rather than once you have the perfect team a few seasons in you cant bring anyone better in. KIU

Thanks a lot man! :) Yeah I know, hopefully it will work like that. I'm happy to be a selling club, creates a challenge to bring through players and still compete at the top.

Great update...
Nice signings,good results !
Keep up the good work !

Thanks a lot mate!

I will of course follow.
o.png

Cheers man :)

I like the way it's now, but choose what is the most convenient for you :)

edit: If bi-monthly updates would be as frequent as these ones then I don't mind haha

Haha, I think I will just stick to how it is now :)

View attachment 277465

September/October Update

Results

View attachment 277478

We started the month with a great win at AZ Alkmar, before Messi completely tore us apart in our first every Champions League game. Two good wins in followed in the league and in the cup. However we then lost at home against FC Groningen in a shock game, we had won 11 games in a row before that!

View attachment 277471

Some poor form followed. We went 4 further games without winning, we lost to OM and Liverpool in the Champions League meaning we are rock bottom of the group, and we lost a huge home game at home to Vitesse. We got two wins to end the month, but they should've been a lot easier than they were. it seems we have lost our early season, when it looked like we were going to walk the league.

Squad

View attachment 277464

Squad in order of apps. No real stand out player like the few there were last year.

POTM

View attachment 277463

Branco van den Boomen is POTM. Some great performances over the last few months from our captain. He has covered at Centre Back as well as DM and CM.

Eredivisie

View attachment 277467

So after a disappointing run after a really promising start to the season we have dropped to 4th. However we will go top if we win our game in hand, it is so close though! A poor run of Ajax means they go down to 6th, PSV getting closer.

Champions League

View attachment 277481

It looks like we are out of Europe. Our best achievement in Europe was the Youth side beating Barca's U19s as well as Liverpool U19s, which is really impressive! Aim from here is to pick up a point and just compete.

Fixtures

View attachment 277466

Some big games coming up over the next 2 months. 6 really hard games in November, before we play Ajax twice in 4 days near the end of December before the winter break.

Last edited:
This is all great stuff! The Pozzo strategy is definitely a interesting way to run a team.

View attachment 277118

November Update

Results

1/11/16 / Liverpool v De Graafschap

View attachment 277111

With it looking like we are already out of the group, the remaining 3 games were about pride. Liverpool went 2 goals up through Beradi and Sturridge, Capuano grabbed one back late and we had a chance! But the game ended 2-1. A great performance, they were easily the better team but we made sure we were not pushed over.

5/11/16 / De Graafschap v Feyenoord

View attachment 277110

A tough home game against one of the best teams in the league this year. Danny Hoesen is banging them in for fun, and Trindade de Vilhena is playing really well. We were 2-1 up with 5 minutes left though, and we conceded a penalty which they scored. 2 points dropped in a vital game.

20/11/16 / De Graafschap v sc Heerenveen

View attachment 277109

A big win for us against a really good side. Erick Torres was brilliant and scored the goal, however he had to come off injured and will miss the rest of 2016.

View attachment 277108

23/11/16 / Barcelona v De Graafschap

View attachment 277106

What a day, De Graafschap at the Nou Camp! Mascherano scored a few minutes in and it looked like a thrashing was in store, but Lucas Boye grabbed a goal 15 minutes in, 1-1 and game on! Barca came at as but we defended admirably, some really good performances from the lads. Suarez missed a few sitters, and with 80 minutes gone it was still 1-1! But we just couldnt hold on any longer, Volland score quickly follwed by Suarez. We get nothing from a truly admirable performance. If we had played like this in every game in the UCL, we would have had a chance to qualify I am sure.

26/11/16 / De Graafschap v PSV

View attachment 277105

In one of the most important games of the season, what a performance! We absolutely destroyed PSV, they couldn't hold us back. The game was over after 25 minutes where we were 4-0 up! Lucas Boye scored 4, the highlight. An absolute demolition of supposedly one of the best teams in the league. Although I could see from the start their squad wasn't up to scratch, it looks like the departure of Memphis Depay really hurt them!

29/11/16 / De Graafschap v OM

View attachment 277101

We rounded our Champions League campaign at home to OM. We came out and dominated the match from start to finish. The crowd were loving it, and although they knew we were already out, there was a vibe that we would be back in the Champions League very soon, where we would be a real challenger. We missed a penalty and they went 1-0 up against the run of play, but we scored and the game ended 1-1, the clubs first ever points in the Champions League!

POTM

View attachment 277112

Lucas Boye is POTM, after picking up his goal scoring form and playing really well. His 4 goals in the thrashing against PSV was by far the highlight of the month. If his performances continue his 6 million euro price tag is looking like a bargain.

Other News

Zakaria Bakkali has broken his foot and will be out for 4-5 months. Meaning he will miss most of the season. A tough loss as he provides quality depth.

View attachment 277099

As soon as our youth facilities were improved I went to the board and requested further improvements were made. They accepted!

View attachment 277098

Eredivisie

View attachment 277117

The table hasn't changed much, although if we win our game in hand, ourselves, Feyenoord and Vitesse would've opened up a gap to the chasing pack. However it is still very much all to play for, Ajax and PSV can go on a long win streak at any point, sc Heerenveen are playing really well too.

Champions League Group

View attachment 277115

So we are out of the Champions League and unsurprisingly, but we did get a point! I am really happy with our performances though, we could have won a few games and challenged to go through on a different fay. It was a great experience to play against the winners of the CL in 2015 and 2016 Barca, as well as English Champions Liverpool. It was also good for the clubs finances.

Fixtures

View attachment 277114

Decembber will be a busy month for us, we need to stay injury free. MVV are doing surprisingly well after being favourites for the drop, FC Twente away will also be tough although they aren't doing as well as last season. Two games against Ajax in a row, followed by Zwolle who are playing well above expectations.​

Tremendous victory against PSV! With such improvements in youth facilities I'm waiting for the first Dutch gem produced by De Graafschap :)

View attachment 277020

December Update

Results

2/12/16 / SC Cambuur v De Graafschap

View attachment 277005

Some big players were missing, and we couldn't score the goal that would win us the game. Draw against a lower team.

7/12/16 / De Graafschap v MVV

View attachment 277003

A good performance but we only scraped a 1-0 win. Bertrand Moussa was really good, as well as Kenneth Omerou who picked up an injury which would mean he misses the rest of December.

10/12/16 / FC Twente v De Graafschap

View attachment 277004

A thriller. We were 2-1 up but a quickfire double from their young USA striker meant we were 3-2 down! Marco Asensio came up big meaning we get away with a point. Bertrand Moussa brilliant again.

14/12/16 / De Graafschap v Roda JC

View attachment 277002

Another game that was closer than we would've like. Lucas Boye scored but then got sent off for a dive. We were still in control though and we won the game.

17/12/16 / Ajax v De Graafschap

View attachment 276998

A vital game away at Ajax. Bertrand Moussa was set the task of marking their key man Elkeson who can't stop scoring, but he didn't get a look in. Chuks Aneka had to fill in up front and scored both goals including a last gasp winner, a vital winner for us.

20/12/16 / Ajax v De Graafschap (CUP)

View attachment 277000

Only 3 days separated the two games at the Amsterdam ArenA. Another great game was in store. We were 3-2 up but we collapsed, and they won the game 4-3. We should've help on and at least forced extra time. A tough loss to take, we are stopped by Ajax from retaining the Dutch Cup.

28/12/16 / Zwolle v De Graafschap

View attachment 276997

Zwolle are doing well so we knew this would be a tough game. We went into the game 70 minutes gone 2-0 up after two wonderful goals from Erick Torres on his return from injury, and an Asensio effort from 20 yards out. We seemed to be in control, but we conceded a penalty in the 90th minute, 2-1. They then walked up to our goal, won a corner, and scored, 2-2. Unbelievable how we didn't win.

POTM

View attachment 276992

Young Cameroonian Bertrand Moussa is the POTM. He has come in to the team due to injury troubles to other players, and he has been solid. When I signed him my scouts and assistant didnt think much of him, but I think defensively he is outstanding.

Eredivisie

View attachment 277015

So at the winter break, with 2/3 of the season gone we are top of the league. We have dropped some silly points though, which means sc Heerenveen are tied on points with us, with Vitesse, Ajax and Feyenoord close behind. PSV's title challenge looks to be all but over.

Fixtures

View attachment 277014

After a tough end to the month where we lost and drew 2 games we really should have won, we have what seems an easier January. We play Excelsior and Fortuna Sittard in our only 2 games.

A busy January coming up, we will see if any deals are done.

Great to see how far you've came with this squad already.

Good time to get back to the top of the league as well just before the winter break.

Best of luck - keep this fantastic updates up.