The Premier League Thread

Premier League attendances remain robust as goals records tumble during season 2010/11.

One of the most competitive Barclays Premier League seasons to date saw match day attendances maintain the high levels of late whilst viewing figures reached record peaks.

Utilisation was tracked at historically high levels with Premier League grounds 92.2 per cent full. In the final match day on Sunday 22nd May utilisation was 98.1 per cent, including eight full houses.

The 2010/11 Barclays Premier League season was one for the history books as far as goals are concerned:
• In total 1,063 goals were scored, a record for a 38 match-day season. The previous best in the Premier League was 1,060 from the 1999/2000 season.

• On average there were 2.8 goals per game - a Premier League record.

• This is only the seventh time in the Premier League's 20 club format that over 1,000 Premier League goals have been scored.

• This season saw the record for most goals scored on one day - 41 goals were scored on Saturday 5th February 2011, including a record seven goals from the penalty spot. The total of 43 over the weekend was also a Premier League record.

• Prior to this season there had never been a match weekend where all 20 teams scored - this season it happened twice: the weekend of 27-28 November 2010 (41 goals scored) and 7-9 May 2011 (33 goals scored).

• There were 17 hat-tricks scored in the Premier League this season, another new record.

PLAYING TALENT
Chief Executive Richard Scudamore said: "We must congratulate all 20 Barclays Premier League clubs for producing a pulsating and hugely entertaining season that will live long in the memory.

"We are coming through some of most testing economic times this country has ever seen but still football remains a draw both in stadia and on TV.

"This demand is not by accident, there has been a great amount of investment in playing talent and facilities to ensure that a great show is put on for fans, whose loyalty and passion are part of what makes the Premier League so special."

All three of the Premier League's main domestic broadcasters reported their highest audiences this season for an individual programme since 2004/05 when detailed data was first recorded:

Ok, this thread never had much of a chance but hoping there will be a bit of interest once the season kicks off.

Potters ready to buy British
Stoke City have scaled down their European scouting operation in order to concentrate on the British market.

According to director of football John Rudge, the Potters are ready to keen to secure home-grown talent.

Although Rudge and manager Tony Pulis have travelled to the continent recently, their main targets are closer to home.

"We haven't scoured Europe like we did last year," Rudge said.

"Just recently all the staff have been out to several different European countries, but that's only been over the last couple of months.

"We have scaled it down from what it was a couple of years ago, although no door is ever closed.

"We still have our contacts out there, so we can follow up recommendations whenever we have to.

"Tony would prefer English players if he can get the right quality at the right price but he has never ruled out a foreign player and we shall certainly take a long, hard look at those recommended."

The FA Cup finalists have yet to make a major summer signing but Pulis will be keen to bolster the ranks in readiness for the new campaign which will see the Potters competing in the Europa League.

Can you change 'Spurs' to 'Tottenham Hotspur' on the individual list, Steve?

Much more suitable. Cheers.

Can you change 'Spurs' to 'Tottenham Hotspur' on the individual list, Steve?

Much more suitable. Cheers.

Ok Billy, have it changed now. :)

Swansea City have revealed full-back Angel Rangel has agreed a new three-year contract to stay at the club.

Rangel has made over 180 appearances during four seasons with Swansea, but there had been fears the Spaniard could leave on a free transfer.
The 28-year-old has previously been linked with the likes of Blackpool, Fulham and Millwall, but has now pledged to stay with the Barclays Premier League new boys.

He is expected to sign the deal in the next few weeks and Swans chairman Huw Jenkins is happy Rangel wants to be part of the club's bid to make an impact in the top flight.
"We are very happy to secure Angel's future for the next three years," Jenkins said.
"He has played a big role in the club's success since he arrived here, and we were very keen for him to be part of our plans going into the Premier League.
"Over the last few years there has been interest from Premier League clubs in Angel, but he is very pleased to have achieved his dream of reaching the Premier League with the club he left his native Spain for."

Ok guys, as the new season approaches who do you think will be showing off the Premiership trophy come next May?

Last edited:
Can see Hernandez having another good season for Utd and as a football fan I hope he does as it would be a shame to see him not performing well after a great first season in English football.

I also hope and I believe Torres can improve next season and get at least 15 league goals next season for Chelsea.

Can see Hernandez having another good season for Utd and as a football fan I hope he does as it would be a shame to see him not performing well after a great first season in English football.

I also hope and I believe Torres can improve next season and get at least 15 league goals next season for Chelsea.

As a follower of Liverpool I hope Torres can improve next season, the groin injury before the world cup seems to have taken a lot out of him. But we all know the quality Fernando has on his day, it's just a pity as I watched a video of him scoring that terrific volley vs Blackburn and I think Chelsea fans can cautiously hope over a good season from Fernando as he brings a lot to the team.

Torres form will all depend on his fitness, last season he wasnt in great shape after the WC and he never realy hit top gear. I think after a Summer of rest he should be able to find the back of the net regularly.
Quite worried about United as I fully expect Chicarito and De Gea to star this season. Could also see Smalling and Jones overtaking Ferdinand and Vidic if they live up to their potential.

Part from Balotelli's interview. It was a good one..

“It doesn’t matter what the manager expects from me,” he said. “I expect a lot from myself and I know what I have to give.

Whether I can do what the manager wants is another thing.”

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Torres form will all depend on his fitness, last season he wasnt in great shape after the WC and he never realy hit top gear. I think after a Summer of rest he should be able to find the back of the net regularly.
Quite worried about United as I fully expect Chicarito and De Gea to star this season. Could also see Smalling and Jones overtaking Ferdinand and Vidic if they live up to their potential.

It will take few years to overtake Vidic. Smalling will be eased into Rio's role as Rio wont be fit for entire season.

It will be intersting to see what Torres can do this season, but it all depends on quality midfielder who can slip in killer passes someone like Benayoun.

---------- Post added 22/07/2011 at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was 21/07/2011 at 12:56 PM ----------

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney is king of the replica kit

Rooney first United player since Cristiano Ronaldo to top list
Fernando Torres slips to second after move to Chelsea

Wayne Rooney was king of the replica kit last season. The Manchester United striker's surname was the most popular for the back of Premier League replica shirts. It is the first time the England forward has been the top name and he is the first United player to lead the list since Cristiano Ronaldo in the 2007-08 season.

The top 10, published in the Premier League Season Review 2010-11, is based on worldwide sales of names and numbers.

The top three – Rooney, Torres and Gerrard – are the only players who have appeared in the top 10 in each of the past four seasons.

Ryan Giggs made the list for the first time, coming in at No10.

You wear it well – the top 10 names on fans' shirts last season

1 Rooney

2 Torres

3 Gerrard

4 Chicharito (Javier Hernández)

5 Van Persie

6 Lampard

7 Drogba

8 Suárez

9 Arshavin

10 Giggs

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney is king of the replica kit | Football | guardian.co.uk

Nice to see Suarez made the top ten despite only joining in january.

Lee Chung Yong stretchered off with suspected broken leg in pre-season game.

Ok as the premier league kicks off in 1 week I was wondering what do people expect their line up in the first game will be?

For Liverpool Im going with:

Suarez---Carroll
Downing---------------------------------Kuyt
Lucas----Aquilani
Johnson----Agger----Carragher----Kelly
Reina

Subs:
Doni
Skretel
Robinson
Adam
Mereilles
Henderson
Ngog(or new striker)

Going with Jonhson on the left if we dont have a new LB by that time. If we do get enrique he will play on the left and Johnson on the right and Kelly would be dropped to the bench​

Arsenal:
4-2-3-1

GK-Sczenchy

DR-Sagna
DC-Kosicenly
DC-Vermaelan
DL-Gibbs

MC-Wilshere
MC-Song

AMR-Gervinho
AMC-Ramsey
AML-Arshavin

ST-van Persie

Kenny

Orr Gorkss Gabbidon Hill

Derry Faurlin

Dyer Taarabt Campbell

Bothroyd

Last edited:
This thread had been dying a slow and painful death so said id resurrect it.

What are peoples opinions on how their team has started the new season and what players have impressed you so far?

Marginally dissapointed with Wigan's opening 2 fixtures, could actually have 9 points from the first 3, except from a mistake from Al-Habsi and Watson with a ****** penalty. Chuffed with the performance against Q.P.R, walked all over them really, kept safe by the post though. City and Everton next, possibly 8 points from the first 5 games (Lose Vs City, narrow win Vs Everton)

Fairly happy with Liverpools first 3 games. Could have done better in the second half against Sunderland alright but being the first match we were still a bit rusty. Played well against both Arsenal and Bolton. All the new signings have looked impresive so far. Especially Adam who has that creative spark we have missed since Alonso left. Also Suarez will be key for us this year.