The Premier League Thread

Very happy with the way we are playing. All our new signings have adapted so well, never looked like they are new comers.

Young has been superb along with Jones. Clverley was much needed addition to our team. Him and Anderson are very dynamic, works hard, not afraid to get stuck in, can pass. Our overall play was joy to watch till now. Hope it continues.

Oh and 2 of our academy lads playing so well was joy to watch.

---------- Post added 01/09/2011 at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was 30/08/2011 at 04:34 PM ----------

Premier league transfers.

Bolded transfers that I feel are the best one for the respective teams.

Arsenal
Jenkinson
Toral
Bellerin
Gervinho
Chamberlain
Joel Campbell
Park
Benayoun
Andre Santos
Arteta
Mertasacker

Aston Villa
Given
N'Zogbia
Hutton

Blackburn Rovers
Myles Anderson
David Goodwillie
Radosav Petrović
Bruno Ribeiro
Simon Vukčević
Yakubu Aiyegbeni
Scott Dann
Jordan Slew

Bolton Wanderers
Reo Coker
Eagles
N'Gog
Mears
Pratley
Tuncay
Boyata
Kakuta

Chelsea:

Thibaut Courtois
Oriol Romeu,
Romelu Lukaku,
Mata
Ulises Dávila,
Raul Meireles,

Everton
Royston Drenthe
Denis Stracqualursi

Fulham

Dan Burn
Tom Donegan
Csaba Somogyi
John Arne Riise
Marcel Gecov
Pajtim Kasami
Zdeněk Grygera
Bryan Ruiz
Orlando Sá

Liverpool
Henderson
Charlie AdamDoni
Downing
Jose Enrique
Coates
Bellamy

Manchester City
Clichy
Savic
Aguero
Nasri
OWen Hargreaves :(

Manchester United
Phil Jones
Ashley Young

David De Gea

Newcastle United
Mehdi Abeid
Yohan Cabaye
Demba Ba
Sylvain Marveaux
Gabriel Obertan
Davide Santon
Rob Elliot

Norwich City
Vaughan
Morison
Bennett
De Laet
Johnson
Pikington
Naughton
Ayala

QPR
Bothroyd
Dyer
Gabbidon
DJ Campbell
Brian Murphy
Perone
Barton
Luke YoungTraore
Wright Phillips
Anton Ferdinand

Stoke City

Woodgate
Upson
Palacios
Jerome
Crouch

Sunderland

Ahmed Elmohamady
Connor Wickham
Ji Dong-Won
Craig Gardner
Sebastian Larsson
Keiren Westwood
Roarie Deacon
Wes Brown
John O'Shea

David Vaughan
James McClean
Nicklas Bendtner

Swansea

Vorm
Graham
Routledge
Lita
Moriera
Tremmel
Caulker

Tottenham Hotspurs

Friedel
Ceballos
Coulibaly
Parker
Adebayor
Falque

West Bromwich Albion
Gareth McAuley
Billy Jones
Ben Foster
Zoltán Gera
Márton Fülöp
Shane Long
Jamie Edge

Wigna Athletic

Al-Habsi
David Jones
Dicko
Crusat
Maloney
Patrick Van Aanholt

Wolverhampton Wanderers

O'Hara
De Vries
Roger Johnson

Nial Quinn steps down as Sunderland chairman. Earthquake for Sunderland fans

Do City Now Have Have the Edge Over United?

by Paul McKinnon at Friday, Oct 21 2011 11:08

2011%2f10%2fUnited-City.jpg

Sunday afternoon sees both Manchester clubs square up in the Premier League’s top of the table battle. Just two points separate City and United, with Roberto Mancini’s side currently edging their rivals into second place. A win would, of course, take Sir Alex Ferguson’s troops back to the summit but a victory for the visitors at Old Trafford would establish a 5-point lead after nine rounds of fixtures. WhoScored analyses each of their respective seasons so far and takes a look at the crucial areas where the game may be won and lost.

2011%2f10%2fUnited-City-Attack.jpg

Team Stats - Attack
City lead the way overall in the Premier League for goal attempts per game- 21 shots is 2 more than Tottenham, while United’s 17 is fifth in the division, just 1 more than the likes of Wolves and Queens Park Rangers. Mancini’s side also lead the way for shots on target with 8 and are top scorers in the league with 27 goals from a total of 168 shots- this means 16% of all shots are converted to goals.

United have just 1 shot less than City on target (7) and their 25 goals is second top- from a total of 136 shots, though, they’ve hit the net 18% of the time, suggesting they are more clinical when it comes to finishing. There is little between the two when it comes to successful dribbles per game, with United joint-top with Wigan on 10- City are just 1 behind, an indication of their more attack-minded approach this term. City have also had a superior possession rate- 59% per game is second only to Chelsea, with United’s 56% the same as Swansea.

2011%2f10%2fUnited-City-Defence.jpg

Team Stats - Defence

The discrepancy in the number of shots conceded is substantial here. While City’s solidity is highlighted by just 11 shots conceded per game (second to Chelsea’s 10), United’s open, attacking play allows an average of 18 shots per game against them- joint-worst in the Premier League, and on a par with Bolton Wanderers.

Bizarrely, though, both sides have conceded the same number of goals ( 6 ) , an indication of just how important David De Gea has been for the champions this season already- his WhoScored rating of 7.43, compared to Joe Hart’s 6.76, demonstrates just how busy he has been.

Surprisingly, City’s 16 tackles and 12 interceptions are joint-bottom for both categories but their high possession percentage is clearly a contributing factor here. Their combined rate of just 28 for both categories is joint-bottom of the league, with Spurs and Bolton leading the way with 39. United’s work-rate is superior in both categories, with 19 and 15 respectively, though they make just 9 fouls per game.

City are substantially superior in the air, winning 55% of aerial duels to United’s 45% -the third bottom in the league- though the champions should welcome back Nemanja Vidic this weekend - the Serbian hasn’t played domestically since the opening day of the season.

Key Players This Season - Manchester City

2011%2f10%2fCity-Key-Players.jpg

Vincent Kompany
Only three players have started all eight games for City- Joe Hart, Joleon Lescott and Vincent Kompany. New skipper Kompany has been a rock at the heart of the back-four, ranking comfortably higher than Lescott, his central-defensive partner, by 7.41 to 6.82 in the WhoScored ratings. Kompany has averaged 2.3 tackles and 1.9 interceptions so far, compared to Lescott’s 1.3 and 0.8 respectively- a significant difference and indicative of his importance.

He also leads the way in clearances, 5.6 to 4.8, has won 70% of aerial duels and has a brilliant 90% pass accuracy. Kompany has even had time to find the net, scoring in last week’s 4-1 win over Aston Villa.

David Silva
The little Spaniard has started all but one match so far, coming off the bench in the previous game against Villa. Silva has grabbed 2 goals and produced 5 assists in his seven starts and has been as consistent a goal threat as he has been a creator.

Averaging 2.9 shots and key passes per game, he also leads the way for successful dribbles at City, with an average 1.9 highlighting his trickery and summing up his ability on the ball. Throw in a 90% pass accuracy and it’s easy to see why the playmaker has been City’s highest rated player thus far, with a WhoScored rating of 8.14 per game, he is the second-top ranked Premier League player.

Sergio Aguero
It’s been an outstanding debut season to date for the big-money signing from Atletico Madrid. His introduction to the more physical and frenetic English domestic game has been seamless- Aguero has bagged 8 goals in six starts, making him the second-top scorer in the Premier League.

As well as being City’s top scorer, he’s also their biggest goal threat, averaging 3.6 shots per game and his creativity has seen him return a total of 2 assists from 1.3 key passes per game. Aguero has also delivered 0.9 successful dribbles and with a pass accuracy of 84%, has averaged 7.65 in the WhoScored rankings.

Key Players This Season - Man United

2011%2f10%2fUnited-Key-Players.jpg

Phil Jones
The summer signing from Blackburn has played in every league game so far for United, with seven starts from eight. While the likes of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand have struggled with injuries, Jones has stepped up with a series of performances well beyond his 19-years that have seen him rated 7.26 in WhoScored’s ratings. His adaptability has seen him play in three separate positions already for United- centre-half, right-back and – in last week’s game at Liverpool - defensive midfield.

Jones has averaged 1.8 tackles and 1.9 interceptions per game so far at the back for United, showing a solid reading of the game that betters the likes of Rio Ferdinand in both categories. He has also made 5.8 clearances and won 50% of aerial duels but his displays going forward have been even more impressive. Jones has managed 0.9 shots –almost twice the tally of any United defender- and a fantastic 1.5 successful dribbles per game; second only to Nani.

Nani
Aside from Jones, he’s the only other player to appear in every league game for the champions. Similar to Jones, Nani has started seven games and came on as a sub in one - last week’s trip to Liverpool. The Portuguese winger seems to have upped his game since the arrival of Ashley Young, picking up 3 goals and 3 assists so far.

Nani has produced 2.8 shots per game, second only to Wayne Rooney, and has made 2.3 key passes in addition to 2.9 successful dribbles- easily the most for his side and dwarfing Young’s 0.6 in comparison. He’s also been the main supplier of successful crosses (1.5) from the wing, picking up an average match rating of 7.71 from WhoScored.

Wayne Rooney
Typically a slow starter to the season, Rooney has been fast out the traps this time round. The Premier League’s leading marksman with 9 goals to his name, he’s also the top-rated player in the WhoScored rankings, with a brilliant 8.43 per game over his seven appearances.

Not only is Rooney United’s main goal threat, he’s also their chief creator- an incredible 5.3 shots and 2.6 key passes per game sees him stand head and shoulders above any other team mate for his overall attacking threat. Rooney has also made 0.9 successful dribbles on average and picked up 4 Man of the Match awards in six starts, warming up nicely for the Old Trafford clash with both his side’s goals in the midweek Champions League win over Romanian side Otelul Galati.

Couldnt find where to put this but here will do. Joey Barton is a stitch on twitter. "Decided to go for the microwave, think the long-term benefits will be better. Be back for Phonejacker's @piersmorgan interview with Gazza..."

Haha Phonejacker, epic.

Toon chief: Carroll is worth 'f*** all'

Derek Llambias, the man who brokered the deal that made Andy Carroll the most expensive Englishman in football history, has sensationally claimed: “He’s worth f*** all!”

The Toon MD’s disparaging verdict on England striker Carroll (below) came when he was giving a group of Newcastle fans an insight into the £35million deal that took the England striker to Liverpool in January.

Llambias insists that Newcastle got the better of the deal.

The Anfield club’s first bid was £30m and Llambias told the fans: “I have to admit that £30m for Andy Carroll is a lot of money.”

When one supporter asked him “Is he worth £30m?” Llambias responded: “No — he’s worth f*** all.” He then explains that after rejecting the £30m offer, Newcastle refused to sell even for £35m unless Liverpool paid the entire fee up front.

A move that forced Liverpool to ask Chelsea to increase their first instalment of the £50m they had already agreed to pay for Fernando Torres!

Llambias explained: “It is about control.

“We had the control. We knew the Torres deal was there.

“We drew that f****** deal, perhaps the ultimate.

“So £30m? F*** off! Don’t waste my time and I slammed the phone down.

“£35m? Everybody including Pardew [manager Alan Pardew] all agreed.

But the £35m they wanted to pay over four years. It was rubbish. Mike (Ashley) said — and he is a brave boy Mike I promise you — get all the £35m up front.

We got it all up front and then they never paid us on time and we charged them 12 grand f****** interest.”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...ewcastle-MD-Derek-Llambias-article829815.html

The Newcastle Board is full of idiots. £35m was very overpriced for Andy Carroll, but I hate it when fans/players/managers turn against a player just because he left the club. When he was at the club I bet Llambias would have said he's one of the best strikers in the league. To be honest, I don't really care about Liverpool much, but Llambias is a massive idiot!

I think Liverpool should have gone for Dzeko, though, at the time!

I think nearly everything he says is the truth and i agree with most of it but he does come across like a right **** like.

The Newcastle Board is full of idiots. £35m was very overpriced for Andy Carroll, but I hate it when fans/players/managers turn against a player just because he left the club. When he was at the club I bet Llambias would have said he's one of the best strikers in the league. To be honest, I don't really care about Liverpool much, but Llambias is a massive idiot!

I think Liverpool should have gone for Dzeko, though, at the time!

The fans/players/managers/board didnt turn on Andy Carroll, he turned on us when he tryed to hold the club to ransom over a new contract just 3 months after signing his old contract.

Am I the only one who thinks the Blackburn fans are being utterly pathetic? A Blackburn player scores a goal, celebrates with Kean, the fans boo. Blackburn played very well today, won 4-2 what happens? They stay behind to protest against Kean with banners instead of celebrating. Just shut the **** up and celebrate the win and get behind you're dam team, instead of acting like a bunch of ****.

Rant over

24 goals in 6 games before the Villa v United kick off.

Enjoyable for the neutrals tonight.

Am I the only one who thinks the Blackburn fans are being utterly pathetic? A Blackburn player scores a goal, celebrates with Kean, the fans boo. Blackburn played very well today, won 4-2 what happens? They stay behind to protest against Kean with banners instead of celebrating. Just shut the **** up and celebrate the win and get behind you're dam team, instead of acting like a bunch of ****.

Rant over

It's just delaying the inevitable though. I'd be upset with Kean as boss, under Allardyce they were a solid mid table team and it is said that Kean stabbed Big Sam in the back to get the Blackburn job. If you look at Kean's record as Blackburn manager, you'd be very worried as a Blackburn fan now.

It's just delaying the inevitable though. I'd be upset with Kean as boss, under Allardyce they were a solid mid table team and it is said that Kean stabbed Big Sam in the back to get the Blackburn job. If you look at Kean's record as Blackburn manager, you'd be very worried as a Blackburn fan now.

I realise that fans would be worried. But they played very well today, and they shouldn't boo a player just because he celebrated with Kean. If a player sees the fans protesting after such a convincing performance against a team that has been doing surprisingly well with banners, it's going to (potentially) demotivate them. Obviously I don't know a thing about any backstabbing thing as I didn't follow the story or anything so wouldn't be my place to comment on such a thing. If they play the way they did today through the rest of the season they should be able to climb out of trouble. Just think it's a bit harsh on the team as a whole to do a protest like that after they played so well. It may have been aimed at Kean, but it's going to affect the squad at some point.

I think so anyway lol

Last edited:
Puts it in the back of the Net, like a BOSS

[video=youtube;oZSRKnO-QrM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZSRKnO-QrM[/video]

Perfect start for Martin O'Neill. 1-0 down against Blackburn, then Vaughan unleashes an absolute thunderbolt, and Seb Larsson puts it in the back of the onion bag via a free-kick. 2-1 Sunderland.

Very serious looking head injury to a Blackburn player. Hope it's not too serious but it sounds like it is.

Last edited: