The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 688K
Manchester City have agreed a whopping £30million fee with Swansea for striker Wilfried Bony.

The 26-year-old Ivory Coast star is expected to sign a four-year deal worth £100,000-a-week.

Swansea have cashed in on their star man after Bony made it clear to them that he wanted to listen to offers from Champions League clubs this month.

City have moved to inject fresh impetus into their bid to retain the title after wiping out Chelsea's lead at the top of the Premier League. That feat has been achieved despite injuries to Edin Dzeko and top scorer Sergio Aguero.

Bony is currently Swansea's top scorer with nine goals in his last 14 appearances.

He moved to the Premier League from Dutch club Vitesse Arnhem two seasons ago.

Bony was Swansea's top-scorer last season with 25 goals in 48 appearances. He also netted twice for his country at the World Cup, against Japan and Greece.

His club persuaded him to sign a new deal in the summer to fend off the likes of Spurs and Liverpool.

Swansea boss Garry Monk insisted earlier this season that it would take an "astronomical" fee to prise their record signing away during the January transfer window.

The fee, however, has arrived leaving the club with no option but to cash in.

I wonder what Swansea plans to do with this windfall?

Have heard Gomis is looking for a move away as well (Palace has been mentioned as a possible destination) so a shiny new striker may be on the horizon?

Leicester have beaten Chelsea to the £9.7m signing of Crioatia striker Andrej Kramarić from Rijeka. (Source: Times)

Bony for £30million, jeez, mental, but guess we can't talk too much considering we signed Fellaini for like £27m.

At least they are attempting to strengthen their side I guess.

Bony is a player I really like but I can't help but think this move is going to flop because once everyone is fit he won't get the gametime hope I am wrong because he is some player IMO

I've just noticed a rumour flying around that Man Utd are close to signing Victor Valdes on a 2 year deal? Wut?

Bony is a player I really like but I can't help but think this move is going to flop because once everyone is fit he won't get the gametime hope I am wrong because he is some player IMO

I rate him more than Dzeko and when you consider the last 12 months he has bagged in quite a lot of goals in Premier League so won't take time to settle one would expect.

Sure he'll get games because Aguero regularly injured or perhaps they'll play together, I think he'd be second choice striker before Dzeko and Jovetic.

Bony will be a smashing player for City. They create tons of chances and his finishing is very good. He offers physical presence and allows midfield runners more into the game.

30 Million is bit much but it's Jan window, Swansea are rich enough club and they signed him for 12 Million, he was the highest scorer in PL in 2014 year.

Bony will be a smashing player for City. They create tons of chances and his finishing is very good. He offers physical presence and allows midfield runners more into the game.

30 Million is bit much but it's Jan window, Swansea are rich enough club and they signed him for 12 Million, he was the highest scorer in PL in 2014 year.

Bony's a great player but I can't see the logic in buying him to lead the line for the next month or so when he's off at the ACON.

Bony's a great player but I can't see the logic in buying him to lead the line for the next month or so when he's off at the ACON.

Replacement for Dzeko as he looks like an improvement on him?

Also not sure but Bony's injury record is much better from what I remember.

Replacement for Dzeko as he looks like an improvement on him?

Also not sure but Bony's injury record is much better from what I remember.

Looks more like a replacement for Jovetic to me. Dzeko's come up big for City in the past.

Looks more like a replacement for Jovetic to me. Dzeko's come up big for City in the past.

I thought Jovetic was in for a big year early on but has kind of faded away, Bony will definitely be in ahead of him you'd think. 50/50 with Dzeko though. Bony is a better pure finisher but i think Dzeko has a better all round game. Interested to see how it plays out. Would be a shame to see Bony wasting away on the bench!

Jovetic is young and his peak years are ahead, Dzeko was rumored to leave in every window so maybe this summer he will be offloaded to some teams in Bundesliga.

Doesn't make sense to play Bony and Dzeko together.

Jovetic is young and his peak years are ahead, Dzeko was rumored to leave in every window so maybe this summer he will be offloaded to some teams in Bundesliga.

Doesn't make sense to play Bony and Dzeko together.

Agree with most of that though i think Bony will first have to prove he's better than Dzeko before they think about moving hom on. Edin has been there & done it, Bony has to show he's up to the task imo.

Agree with most of that though i think Bony will first have to prove he's better than Dzeko before they think about moving hom on. Edin has been there & done it, Bony has to show he's up to the task imo.

I don't think Dzeko was happy being super sub for so long. IIRC he was linked with move to Chelsea, Dortmund in last 2 windows. Also Bony is leading scorer in PL in 2014.

One attribute that can't take away from Dzeko is his match winning moments. Number of times he saved points for City with crucial goals was unreal.

Back