The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 688K
At the same post where you rejected opinions from pro footballers and offered your own instead?

If you don't remember what you write about, it might be split personality disorder.

Wayne Rooney said he's playing like Scholes now, should I believe him as well? I would trust bigger picture than some footballer giving interviews. Neville said at one point during this season Curtois is second best goalkeeper in the world, just so he would scratch that and give that title to De Gea couple weeks ago. Let me ask you something, do you really think Scholes is better than Xavi or Pirlo? If so, fair play to you. For me, those two are better than Scholes.

Wayne Rooney said he's playing like Scholes now, should I believe him as well? I would trust bigger picture than some footballer giving interviews. Neville said at one point during this season Curtois is second best goalkeeper in the world, just so he would scratch that and give that title to De Gea couple weeks ago. Let me ask you something, do you really think Scholes is better than Xavi or Pirlo? If so, fair play to you. For me, those two are better than Scholes.

Dont forget ... Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole is better than Barcelona striker Lionel Messi - Steven Gerrard | Football News | ESPN.co.uk

Wayne Rooney said he's playing like Scholes now, should I believe him as well?.

So you don't say you're more qualified then pro footballers, but you do say you're more qualified then pro fooballers.

Split personality disorder it is.

And the player praising his own teammates is completely different thing from PD legend praising PL legend, making all your examples completely irrelevant.

Last edited:
So you don't say you're more qualified then pro footballers, but you do say you're more qualified then pro fooballers.

Split personality disorder it is.

And again buddy, I'm not better suited than pro footballers. However, there's a huge difference in believing in **** and actually think about something. I'll try to make it simple for you. Yes, they know more about football than I do. Yes, they are often asked stupid questions and they give stupid answers ( look at Alcaraz's link). I would rather trust 100 football experts than what one player says and what media took out of context. Is that simple enough for you?

Not even sure what this argument is about anymore. Xavi said Scholes was the best midfielder. That doesn't necessarily mean that Xavi is right, he was just expressing his own opinion. Vanjagl disagreed with his opinion. Nowhere did he say he was better qualified. He just had a different opinion

Going by that logic, it's incorrect for us to disagree with our politicians because they are more 'qualified' than us with their fancy Oxbridge degree's

Not even sure what this argument is about anymore. Xavi said Scholes was the best midfielder. That doesn't necessarily mean that Xavi is right, he was just expressing his own opinion. Vanjagl disagreed with his opinion. Nowhere did he say he was better qualified. He just had a different opinion

Going by that logic, it's incorrect for us to disagree with our politicians because they are more 'qualified' than us with their fancy Oxbridge degree's
Exactly. Just because someone is more qualified doesn't make him automatically right.

Exactly. Just because someone is more qualified doesn't make him automatically right.

It's also worth pointing out that everyone has their own agendas. It's not as if the Barca players haven't been known for having a very narrow view on what constitutes good football, and going out of their way to praise/criticise those that agree/disagree with it.

All of us, including professional footballers, have our own arbitrary set of criteria in measuring the worth of a player. It's a futile excercise arguing about whether Gerrard is one of the greatest or not although I am sure we all agree that he was a fantastic player and his loyalty to one club despite receiving multiple lucrative offers deserves respect

And again buddy, I'm not better suited than pro footballers.

Then maybe you shouldn't be dissmissing their comments on a whim.

I would rather trust 100 football experts than what one player says and what media took out of context. Is that simple enough for you?

Yes, and I would rather trust what one legend of football says over what one random dude on the internet says. Especially since you can't back up your opinions with anything other then silveware counting, which is as futile of an argument as anybody can come up with.

Is that simple enough for you?

Last edited:
Tyton either isn't very smart or he's a troll. I honestly can't be arsed to talk to you again. You see things like you want, and thats fine, but please, don't talk to me again.

Pointless comparision. Politicans rarely have an expertise in all the fields they're dealing with. Xavi on the other hand, kind of knows a thing or two about what consist of good midfield player. And nobody says they can't be wrong, but I'm afraid it takes a bit more then "I have right to my opinion" kind of nonsense to make a sensible argument against what experts are saying.

Last edited:
Tyton either isn't very smart or he's a troll. I honestly can't be arsed to talk to you again. You see things like you want, and thats fine, but please, don't talk to me again.

Oh, the "I don't care act". Original, haven't seen that one before. Must be why you responded within 60 seconds of my post.

Pointless comparision. Politicans rarely have an expertise in all the fields they're dealing with. Xavi on the other hand, kind of knows a thing or two about what consist of good midfield player. And nobody says they can't be wrong, but I'm afraid it takes a bit more then "I have right to my opinion" kind of nonsense to make a sensible argument against what experts are saying.

Point still stands though, if by your own logic, we cant disagree with opinions of people 'more qualified' than us then we should agree with what politicians say because the majority are indeed more highly qualified than us in the fields they deal with even if they don't have the level of expertise that we desire

Also as I already mentioned, we all have our own distinct arbitrary set of criteria to measure a players worth. Therefore, it's futile to argue about this beyond a certain point. As Subtle already pointed out, Barecelona players have a narrow view on how football should be played and they praise anyone who fits under that paradigm. Anyone else such as Mourinho might have a different set of criteria and feel that Essien perhaps was the best midfielder in his prime. So I don't think anyone is outright rejecting Xavi's opinion. He has his own opinion based on the way he sees the game and someone else might have a different opinion based on how he see's the game. No one is right or wrong at least within this context

For example, Zidane says Gerrard (not Scholes) was the best midfielder. Now once can reasonably argue that Zidane was a better midfielder than Xavi and thus more 'highly qualified' than Xavi to know what constitutes a good midfielder. Does that mean we should accept Zidane's opinion blindly?

Yes. Xavi once said Scholes is the best midelfielder in the world. That doesn't make him one though ;)

I struggle to see how Vanjagl rejected Xavi's opinion with this statement. All he said was that Xavi's endorsement is not the final word on the topic

I struggle to see how Vanjagl rejected Xavi's opinion with this statement. All he said was that Xavi's endorsement is not the final word on the topic
Just let it be. You cannot argue with someone who doesn't care about others opinion. Its just like talking to a wall. He simply thinks that I think I know more about football than Xavi does, and even after 5 times I said I don't, he still cannot accept that, just rather talking nonsense and creating stir over nothing, going around and around throwing insults. I have no idea what he wants. And at that point, I don't see any reason to continue talking to him. I'm perfectly happy to leave this where it is, because it's leading to nowhere.

Point still stands though, if by your own logic, we cant disagree

Your own logic you mean. Never said anything of the sort. As usual when lost for a coherent argument you start responding to imaginary points that exist only in your head.

Back