The Pride of the North East - A Middlesbrough Story

Mike :]

Reaction score
The Pride of the North East - A Middlesbrough Story

View attachment 429530

After spending a week or so deciding on my next adventure, I've decided to start a new save with Middlesbrough Football Club as they have quite a decent youth set up and have been on a decline in recent years. I'm going to keep this post as short as I can so I can get on with the story so here are the most important parts.

Middlesbrough hire Michael Henson as Manager

View attachment 429521

Club Information

View attachment 429520

Club Facilities

View attachment 429519

Transfer Budget

View attachment 429518

Transfer Policy

Only English players can be signed.
I'm fed up with the amount of foreign players in the Premier League so will only be buying English players as I attempt to improve the quality of the national team.

Aims
1) Win promotion to the Premier League (2013/14)
2) Qualify for European Football (2015/16)
3) Win the Premier League (2017/18)
4) Win the FA Cup (2017/18)
5) Win the Capital One Cup
6) Win the Community Shield
7) Win the Europa League (2016/17)
8) Win the Champions League
9) Win the Club World Cup
10) Complete a domestic treble
11) Have 10 or more players selected for national duty for the main team.
12) A Middlesbrough player to win the Golden Ball
13) Become the most reputable club in the world
14) Become the world's richest club
15) Become the most successful club in the North East

Key: Complete, Uncomplete

Middlesbrough's History
View attachment 429517

Sunderland's History
View attachment 429516

Newcastle's History
View attachment 429515

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What do you think of the aims for the save? I've gone for a large number of aims so it keeps me interested.

Would you add any more to the list?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Up Next
Squad Overview
Tactic
Transfers

Last edited:
Squad Overview

View attachment 429505

View attachment 429503

Middlesbrough have a very capable squad and although I have told the board that we will finish in the top half of the table this season, I think we can be pushing for promotion with the bigger teams in the league. Obviously we can't compete with the likes of QPR and Nottingham Forest who should finish in the top two spots this season with the amount of firepower they have. We have a very good core in the team with outstanding players such as Jason Steele, Rhys Williams, Jacob Butterfield and Kei Kamara running through the middle.

Key Players

Jason Steele

View attachment 429502

Jason will be our goalkeeper for the foreseeable future until he becomes unable to perform at a high level or we bring in a world class English goalkeeper in place of him. He has seven U21 caps to his name and will be looking to add to them with a senior call up in the next couple of years.

Rhys Williams

View attachment 429500

Rhys is the club captain and the rock at the heart of the defence. Although he is Australian, I will be looking to keep him for a few years until we can sell him for a considerable amount of money which will allow us to bring in a couple of players.

Jacob Butterfield

View attachment 429496

Jacob joined the club just before I joined and is a great prospect and has quite a number of years ahead of him in his playing career. He will be the main central midfielder at the club and I hope he makes it into the England team one day.

Kei Kamara

View attachment 429495

If I find a young English player with these stats then he will be my number one transfer target. Kei is a very good player but unfortunately he is not English so will be sold within the next two seasons. In the meantime he will be main attacking threat along with Marvin Emnes.

Last edited:
Tactics

I will be deploying the Jassar Bomb tactic and it is split into two versions; a home and an away tactic.

Home Tactic

View attachment 429491

When playing at home we will be looking to play our best football to impress the fans and I feel that this tactic will allow me to do so. We will be looking to dominate possession as well which means that Butterfield and Haroun will have to be on top form to spray the passes around midfield.

Away Tactic

View attachment 429490

The away tactic is set up so the players keep their shape and look to counter quickly when they retrieve possession from their opponents. Playing the counter attack requires us to have fast wingers and with Mustapha Carayol on one wing, who has 20 acceleration, and Emmanuel Ledesma on the other I believe we will be tough to stop.

If you want to download the tactic then visit this thread and the tactic is on the second post down.

Last edited:
View attachment 429460

Transfers

View attachment 429461

Three players were brought in over the summer in the form of Jerome Sinclair, Jay Bothroyd and Harry Maguire - who joined on deadline day after money was made available by the Marvin Emnes transfer to Wigan. A number of players went out on loan as well as I believe it will aid their developments as footballers especially Adam Reach who went to St Johnstone. Lukas Jutkiewicz, who moved on loan to Watford, and Andrew Halliday, who was sent to Dundee United, were originally part of first team plans but, after the signing of Jerome Sinclair and the promotion of Jordan Jones, they were no longer needed. Marvin Emnes, mentioned earlier on, moved to Wigan on Deadline Day for ?2m as he was being kept out of the team by Sinclair and we couldn't turn that money down.

Transfers In

View attachment 429459

Jerome Sinclair - Liverpool - ?825k

Jerome joins for a compensation fee after rejecting a contract offer at Liverpool and accepted our increased wage offer. I increased the offer to twice what he was asking for just to make sure we got our man who will no doubt be a future England star.

View attachment 429458

Jay Bothroyd - Unattached - Free

After we missed out on our main target Jonathan Obika, who signed on a permanent for Leeds, we went out to find a striker that could provide excellent cover for Kei Kamara and that is when we stumbled upon Jay Bothroyd. He has an England cap under his belt and will be looking to break into the first team over the course of the season.

View attachment 429457

Harry Maguire - Sheffield United - ?3.5m

Harry joined on Deadline Day after funds were made available by Wigan signing Marvin Emnes so we moved quickly to bring him in as we lacked depth in that position. He is only 20 and will develop into a star in the next five years and is currently being tutored by former England player Jonathan Woodgate.

Last edited:
View attachment 429455

August 2013

View attachment 429454

What an opening to the season as we win seven out of the eight games we played, only drawing against Blackpool when we came back from being two goals down. To beat teams like Leicester and Wigan comfortably in the league is a real positive and shows how good the squad is when they are being put in their best positions. We've started a mini-cup run now as well as we've defeated SkyBet League Two side Burton Albion and Premier League side Burton Albion and scored seven goals but conceded none. We face a tough test in the next round as we take on rivals Newcastle at St James' Park.

Squad Stats

View attachment 429452

Player of the Month - Kei Kamara

View attachment 429451

Kamara has been in sensational form in August as he scored ten goals in seven games maintaining an average rating of 8.51.

League Table

View attachment 429448

We sit top of the league with 13 points out of 15 which is pleasing but we really shouldn't have conceded three against Blackpool!

Nice start mate!!I hope you will continue your story until complete your aims.I will follow this.

Nice start mate!!I hope you will continue your story until complete your aims.I will follow this.

I will definitely be continuing the story until all the aims of the save are met, although updates may vary as my university work builds up. Thanks for following :)

View attachment 429306

September 2013

View attachment 429305

A slightly disappointing month for Middlesbrough as we only won one of the games we played when we beat Bournemouth 3-1. I lost my first game as Middlesbrough manager to Newcastle in the 3rd round of the Capital One Cup but that was expected as they put out a very strong side and didn't rest one key player. In the other league games that were played, we drew with two of the teams that I expect to be near the top of the league come the end of the season.

Squad Stats

View attachment 429304

Player of the Month - Mustapha Carayol

View attachment 429303

Mustapha has been very consistent throughout the opening two months of the season from the left side of midfield and added two more goals to take his league tally to eight.

League Table

View attachment 429302

We are still unbeaten which is a positive and are only three points off the top of the league so we're not too far off the top of the league.

View attachment 429136

October 2013

View attachment 429135

October was a mixed month for us as we lost our unbeaten record to Barnsley and that was disappointing as their winner came direct from a corner. It was our first loss in eleven league games so I'm hoping we can continue our previous form up until the transfer window. We quickly recovered from that defeat by destroying Doncaster 3-0 at the Riverside Stadium.

Squad Stats

View attachment 429134

Player of the Month - Jerome Sinclair

View attachment 429131

An excellent month for young Jerome as he scores one goal and sets up plenty to make him top of the assists chart in the SkyBet Championship.

League Table

View attachment 429133

Despite losing to Barnsley, we remain at the top of the league by three points with Reading, Barnsley and Burnley looking to take advantage of any slip ups.

View attachment 429106

November 2013

View attachment 429105

It was a great opening to the month for Middlesbrough as we beat Blackburn, Watford and Leeds comfortably and only conceded two goals due to Jason Steele being on top form. Kei Kamara was back to his usual self as he smashed in three goals in four games to return to the top of the goal scoring charts. It was a bad end to the month though as we lost our unbeaten home record against Bolton.

Squad Stats

View attachment 429102

Player of the Month - Emmanuel Ledesma

View attachment 429101

Emmanuel has been great as an attacking right midfielder in the past month with defence splitting passes to Kei Kamara and Mustapha Carayol.

League Table

View attachment 429100

Despite a second loss in the league we remain six points clear of 2nd placed Reading and have a much better goal difference than them.

Club News

View attachment 429076

Kei Kamara has been in fantastic form recently and he was rewarded with a new contract to keep him with us for a few extra years until we can find an adequate replacement.​

Last edited:
Great read so far pal. Being a boro fan I'm really looking forward to how the career goes.

I'm actually doing a career with boro my self, but in isn't going just as well. KIU mate

Great read so far pal. Being a boro fan I'm really looking forward to how the career goes.

I'm actually doing a career with boro my self, but in isn't going just as well. KIU mate

Cheers mate, just about to put the December update on.

View attachment 429000

December 2013

View attachment 428999

December started well but finished appallingly as we lost two games in a row for the first time this season. The defeats against Burnley and Reading were hard to take as they are close rivals of ours for the top spot in the SkyBet Championship so I hope that form doesn't continue into 2014. However, we started the month well as we demolished Derby before remaining unbeaten for the next three games.

Squad Stats

View attachment 428998

Player of the Month - Kei Kamara

View attachment 428997

Kei returns to the player he was at the start of the season by firing in six goals in December including a hat trick against Derby.

League Table

View attachment 428993

Club News

View attachment 428992

I agreed a two year contract extension until June 2016 and was offered it as a reward of how the team has performed so far this season.

View attachment 428991

The FA Cup Third Round draw sees us entertain league rivals Burnley at the Riverside Stadium.

Supported Boro for 25 years so glad to see a good story on here finally! Will be following!

i was doing my own story on here but got fed up of playing so slowly between updates, just cracked on and played, into 5th season with possibly the best young squad in the world!

Supported Boro for 25 years so glad to see a good story on here finally! Will be following!

i was doing my own story on here but got fed up of playing so slowly between updates, just cracked on and played, into 5th season with possibly the best young squad in the world!

Cheers mate, appreciate it. Looking to build the best English team possible and win multiple titles with them.

Cheers mate, appreciate it. Looking to build the best English team possible and win multiple titles with them.

This is my Current career progress

2013/14 - 1st Championship - League Cup Semi Final
2014/15 - 2nd Premiership - League Cup Winner
2015/16 - 2nd Premiership - FA Cup Runners Up - Champions League Semi Final
2016/17 - 2nd Premiership - FA Cup Winner - Champions League Semi Final

SQUAD
GK - Ibarrondo (regen)
DR - Vergini
DL - Rocchi (regen)
DC - Tobio
DC - Placide (regen)
DM - Illarramendi
MC - Eriksen
MC - Isco
AMR - Januzai
AML - Batista (regen)
FC - Mitrovic

Looking forward to seeing what you can do!!

View attachment 428989

January 2014

View attachment 428988

Another good month for Middlesbrough despite being knocked out of the FA Cup in the Fourth Round by Blackpool. The month started off very well for us as youngsters Jordan Jones and Jerome Sinclair impressed me by winning games late on with their goals. The result against Leicester didn't matter too much as many of the starting eleven in that game were fatigued as the game was moved due to our FA Cup involvement.

Squad Stats

View attachment 428987

Player of the Month - The Whole Team

View attachment 428989

No one really stood out this month and every game the team put in a great effort.

League Table

View attachment 428986

We've now moved ten points ahead of our nearest rivals in second place so I'll be looking to extend that during the month of February.

Club News

View attachment 428985

Stuart Parnaby left the club on a free transfer as he signed for Notts County. He hasn't featured this season and has been in the U21's since I took over.

This is my Current career progress

2013/14 - 1st Championship - League Cup Semi Final
2014/15 - 2nd Premiership - League Cup Winner
2015/16 - 2nd Premiership - FA Cup Runners Up - Champions League Semi Final
2016/17 - 2nd Premiership - FA Cup Winner - Champions League Semi Final

SQUAD
GK - Ibarrondo (regen)
DR - Vergini
DL - Rocchi (regen)
DC - Tobio
DC - Placide (regen)
DM - Illarramendi
MC - Eriksen
MC - Isco
AMR - Januzai
AML - Batista (regen)
FC - Mitrovic

Looking forward to seeing what you can do!!

Looks like you've got yourself a decent team there. Did you keep any of the English players for the second season? If you did, how did they do?

Second season was a virtually different team with the exception of,

GK - Steele
DC - Woodgate
DL - Gibson
AMR - Adomah
AML - Carayol

sold Williams to Spartak Moscow for 5m and a few other players to fund rage Regens coming in, those are the key to long term success!