The Prodigal Son: A Manchester United Story

Chapter 15:
21st​ September, 2011.
Physio Room, Brisbane Road, London

“You’ll be fine, Ravel. Just a slight knock, let Rob have a proper look at it back at OT”

I motioned to the doorway. “Come on now, the rest of the lads are waiting”
I’d taken a predominantly young team to the 3rd​ round tie at Leyton Orient, and they hadn’t disappointed. A comfortable 4-1 win, with up and coming Belgian star Adnan Januzaj netting twice, Ravel and Will Keane both grabbing a goal apiece.
He got off the bed and winced as his foot touched the floor. I couldn’t have just gone back to the bus after seeing the lad launched into the air by an over-zealous Leyton player in the last few minutes. At the age of 18, he was younger than I was when I got my injury, and I felt glad that it wasn’t serious.

There was another reason I wanted to see him alone, however. After the 4-4 draw at Old Trafford with Liverpool the previous weekend, I’d arranged a meeting with Bill Peterson. Safe to say it hadn’t gone well. I accused him of stealing my phone – a point he instantly denied, and he promptly launched into a story about how he’d waited for a meeting then left. At which point I showed him the CCTV footage of his pilfering, he then hastily stood up and bade me farewell.

What happened next happened very quickly indeed.

3 days earlier:

“... And that is the last time you will ever enter Old Trafford! Not as a fan, not as a journalist, not even as a tourist! Get out of here, before I call security and have you thrown out!” I yelled after Peterson, as he turned to leave, just as Morrison stuck his head around the door.

“Everything OK, boss?” He asked. Before I could answer, Peterson got there first.
“Oh... It’s you. The talented troublemaker, is it? You two make quite the pair. Mr Scandal and Scandal Jr.” He sneered. – I could see Ravel losing it – “What was it you did, beat up your mum, or something? Bet your boss is so pro-“

He didn’t get to finish that sentence as Ravel landed a huge punch to the side of his face. And another. The journo fell backwards, almost taking the door off the hinges. I took this chance to grab the infuriated teen by the collar, as Peterson scrambled to his feet.

“O-ho. You’re in for it now, just imagine tomorrow’s headlines, lad” he said, triumphantly, as he walked away briskly, like the school bully who’d nearly been caught out.

“**** Rav, what the **** did you just do?” I asked.
“Look, boss, I-“ He stammered.
“It’s ok lad.” I reassured him. “He asked for it, if you hadn’t done it, I’d have. And the club is less likely to stand behind me than you. Just one thing.”
“Yeah boss?”
“I’m docking you 2 weeks wages. I liked that door.”

Present Day:

“Ravel? Wait up, I need a word with you.”
“About last Sunday?” He quizzed.
“Yeah. Look, the *******’s pressed charges for assault. Just wanted you to know, as a club, we stand behind you 100%.”
I heard a voice over my shoulder.
“Mr Newton, Mr Morrison? Would you like to come with me, please?” I turned to see a stern man in a suit and a police officer.
“Detective Constable Hughes, and this is Sgt. Flynn.”
He turned to Ravel. “Ravel Morrison, I’m arresting you on suspicion of assault and actual bodily harm with intent. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defense if you do not mention when questioned...”
As Flynn lead Ravel away to the waiting car, Hughes turned to me.
“If you’d step this way Mr Newton, we'd like to take you to the station for a few questions. You apparently witnessed the incident?”
“Yes, but-“ I started.
“Follow me, then.”

**** man! Please write to a book publisher, this stuff right here needs to be made into a book, I can't stop reading it, its just quality! Love the fact the Journo got what was coming to him.

Line of the Chaper: “I’m docking you 2 weeks wages. I liked that door.”

This is top mate, you are an amazing writer you should make a book mate this is top stuff

**** hot mate, keep it up... Good reading material while I’m at work wanting to be at home playing FM!

Player that play football manager 12
and use manchester united ,
Should read this kind of bible ...
Good job my fellow red devil supporter .

mate, amazing read- brilliant! seriously if you wrote a book of this i'd buy it. honestly.

Yeah... This story is dope. 1 question though, why did you sell Anderson?:( And who else did you get rid of? I hope Jonny Evans was one of them.

Yeah... This story is dope. 1 question though, why did you sell Anderson?:( And who else did you get rid of? I hope Jonny Evans was one of them.

Sold Anderson plain and simply cos I could get 20m for him :p Think I sold Carrick, Evans, Berbatov and Kuszscak, and a couple other squad players :)

Just stumbled across this story, and it's amazing :L i hope you can update soon, i'm hanging by a thread waiting for what happens next

Chapter 16:
20th​ October, 2011.
Salford, Manchester.

‘Cause you do... Oh you - you use your heart as a weapon. And it hurts like heaven...

Chris Martin’s energetic lyrics rung out as I drove back to my flat after today’s training. The team was performing brilliantly, they hadn’t lost a game in a month and a half, scoring 14 goals in 4 games, including a 4-0 demolition of Aston Villa at Villa Park. I pulled up in the drive of my house – and something didn’t seem right. Alice was always home when I came back from training, she’d even said when I left she would be home today. As I stood thinking in the hall, my mobile buzzed. I flicked open the handset.

“Hello?”

“Dan? Its Mark.” Mark Lyons was Alice’s brother. He sounded panicked and close to tears, which if you saw the size of the man, you would have thought next to impossible.
“Yeah, what’s up with you mate, you sound shaken?” I had a bad feeling. I could almost sense the news coming.
“It’s Alice. She’s been in a car accident, head-on collision. Just get to Royal Salford, now.”
“How is she?”
“Not looking good. You’re supposed to be her ******* fiancée, get here!”

******* ****. I had sworn to myself never to step foot in that place again. One last thing worried me though.

“Mark, what about the baby?”
A silence answered me.
“Mark. Tell me. Now.” I feared the worst. People don’t pause like that if it is good news.
“Sorry mate.” And with that he ended the call.

I sprinted back out the door and drove as fast as I could to the hospital. Please, God no. I thought to myself. As I passed into the whitewashed halls of RSH I almost ran at the receptionist.

“Yes?”
“Alice Lyons, where is she?” I demanded.
“Intensive Care Unit, Room 4C”

“Mr Newton?” A doctor in a white coat approached me. “Come with me.”
“How is she?” I needed to know.
“In a coma at the moment. She’ll come through though. There doesn’t appear to be any major damage.”
“And the baby?” The doc turned with a sombre look on his face. He paused before continuing.
“Please take a seat, Mr Newton.” As I sat down the doctor continued. “Breaking this is never easy. Miss Lyons was in a very critical condition when she was brought in. In order to save her life, we had to put her into a medically-induced coma. Unfortunately, she lost the baby. You have to understand, Mr Newton, both would have died if we hadn’t.”

I just stared at the floor in shock. “What about the other driver? Will the police charge them?” I asked.

“The other driver was killed instantly.” He said, matter-of-factly.
“I’m sorry for your loss, Mr Newton. Follow me to the ward, please. I understand you’d like to be at your fiancée’s bedside.”

The doctor offered a hand up. I just sat there, still in shock. I just couldn’t take it in.

Chapter 17:
3rd​ November, 2011
Salford, Manchester

“Still quiet on the whereabouts of United manager Danny Newton, after not appearing for the fourth game running...”

I sat in my flat, watching the TV with Alice. She’d only been released from hospital a couple of nights before. She seemed lively - as lively as a woman who’d just lost her unborn child could be – as she turned to me and said, “Dan, just go back, for my sake”
I sighed. “There’s an international break now, at least I can keep it quiet. I’ll go back in at the end of the week.”
It was easy enough to tell her that, but deep down I knew I would have to drag myself back to Old Trafford.
Get a ******* grip on yourself! A small voice in my head said. You are the manager of Manchester United! A job that people would kill for, you included!
I turned back to Alice. “Actually, I’ll go back in tomorrow, explain why I wasn’t there. Gill will understand, surely.” She smiled at me and thanked me with a hug.

The next day I walked to Old Trafford and straight up to Gill’s office. Knocking, I heard a stiff reply of “Come in” followed by a look that quickly turned to anger as he saw me.
“And where the **** have you been, sonny!” He looked ready to pull the trigger as he snapped at me.
I snarled back at him. “I’ve been with my fiancée after a car accident left her in a coma. Boss.” I added in with added sarcasm, and as his anger drained away I also said “In which we lost our unborn son”
Gill instantly looked apologetic. “I’m sorry, no-one here knew. For all we knew you could have been dead. Or worse, lining up the Liverpool job. Want a drink? There’s no training today -”
“I know, international break. One thing though boss.” I interrupted.
“That is?”
“No press conferences for my return. I don’t want any media quizzing me about this rather... personal time in my life.”
“That can be arranged sonny. Some of the players who aren’t on ‘duty’ with their countries are down at Carrington if you want to go. I imagine they’d like to know you’re back.”
I thanked Gill for his time and understanding, a good job, saying that if he hadn’t, I would have offered my resignation, and headed off to Carrington. Back into the grind – 4 wins on the trot when I was off meant we sat comfortably top of both the CL group and the Premier League, including wins over Spurs, Arsenal and Leverkusen. Next up after the break was a nice run of relegation threatened teams, playing Swansea, Norwich and Wolves, before 2 hard games at Napoli and Chelsea.

More top updates mate. You really get into the characters persona and you get a sense of who he is :)
KUTGW

top stuff danny! keeping me gripped :) do give us all a shout if you're doing anything else in a similar style- loving your stuff

Stop playing your lame Real Madrid save - and get back on with writing this.

Stuck in Wales with nothing to do... so I'm writing the next chapter :) Will be up tonight.